post #571 of 577 Old 01-06-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post

OK, I can understand the high bandwidth demand for streaming 1080p and lossless audio, but what about downloading to a device in which it would take longer and not available for immediate viewing but could be viewed after it downloaded?   Or is it the same problem that files that size would be restricted by the ISP whether streamed or downloaded?
There are UV titles that can be downloaded but the same storage and data use would still apply to the provider. The UV specs does allow for lossless audio but AFAIK no titles have ever been made available. I doubt very seriously there is any demand for streaming or downloading of titles with lossless audio.

Quote:
I only bring this up since Red and Sony are releasing media servers to download 4K sources to feed their 4K displays and hopefully with lossless audio and those files I assume would be much larger than 1080p with lossless audio.
H.265? (MPEG5, HEVC standard) that will support UHDTV is a work in progress and was scheduled to be completed this month. So it will be interesting to see UHDTV file sizes done with HEVC.

The BDA is looking into extending the Blu-ray specs to accommodate UHDTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 577 Old 01-06-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

What ever happened to that satellite service that was supposed to provide BD quality and HD audio? It was supposed to launch a year or two ago.

IIRC, it was a PPV service but also required a monthly fee in addition to any rentals (and/or sales?). I suspect the bean counters took a look at Vudu and determined there was not a workable market for this service. 24/7/365 satellite transponder is a very expensive and is charged regardless of use by the renter.

Look at how fast Voom came and went as a standalone service. I had Voom for a couple of years via Dish Network but dropped it because very little new content was added.
post #573 of 577 Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

...... The UV specs does allow for lossless audio but AFAIK no titles have ever been made available. I doubt very seriously there is any demand for streaming or downloading of titles with lossless audio.....

That is plain sad that individuals who stream or download don't appreciate and demand the improvement that lossless soundtracks have over lossy.  I by no means am an audiophile, and use my hometheater only for hdtv and movies, my speakers and avr and amp are only mid level but the audible improvement that DTS MA has over DD , especially for action/sci fi/fantasy movies are significant.  It will be interesting to see as physical media continue to decline and servers/streaming become predominant what will happen to lossless audio.

post #574 of 577 Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post

That is plain sad that individuals who stream or download don't appreciate and demand the improvement that lossless soundtracks have over lossy.

IMO, lossless audio’s main appeal will be to folks who purchase (and rent) Blu-ray disc. For most of us it is a event to sit and watch a movie. For most other folks watching is a casual event. Saw a survey recently that said 80% of TV watchers were doing something else (texting, surfing, etc.) while the show was on. I bet that group could care less about lossless audio and is why I believe lossless audio is a nonstarter for streaming and downloading services. The demand is simply not there and the providers are not going to pony up the additional fees lossless audio licensing would entail.

Just curious, I have Amazon Prime, Netflix and Vudu and the video from these services do not match the quality from Blu-ray (and DVD in many cases ) so why would you think they should provide lossless audio?
post #575 of 577 Old 01-07-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Because their video quality has never matched BD quality. It can look extremely good, especially for the low bitrates used, but it has never matched Bd quality.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #576 of 577 Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Because their video quality has never matched BD quality. It can look extremely good, especially for the low bitrates used, but it has never matched Bd quality.

Good catch. That should have been do not. Post edited!
post #577 of 577 Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

IMO, lossless audio’s main appeal will be to folks who purchase (and rent) Blu-ray disc. For most of us it is a event to sit and watch a movie. For most other folks watching is a casual event. Saw a survey recently that said 80% of TV watchers were doing something else (texting, surfing, etc.) while the show was on. I bet that group could care less about lossless audio and is why I believe lossless audio is a nonstarter for streaming and downloading services. The demand is simply not there and the providers are not going to pony up the additional fees lossless audio licensing would entail.

Just curious, I have Amazon Prime, Netflix and Vudu and the video from these services do not match the quality from Blu-ray (and DVD in many cases ) so why would you think they should provide lossless audio?

You make some excellent observations, which lets me know that I'm in a shrinking minority that the distribution networks have no interest in appealing to, in that, even when I watch a tivo'd program, it is with my dinner in the near dark of a batcave theater room, the phones are off and doorbells are not answered..obviously no kids in the house.  I only rent since I rarely, if ever, watch any movie a second time.  I would give up renting via mail with NF in a heartbeat if I could get the same PQ and lossless audio in a video on demand service with movies that near release date of BR and I would be willing to pay more for that service. But obviously so few would pay more than rentals already and since the bandwidth issue to have both PQ/AQ same as BR,  appears to be a major hurdle that few seem interested in so it looks like at least for the foreseeable future it is mail order movie rentals I'm stuck with.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page