Are there any DL services on the horizon that... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-23-2008, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if any company has spoken about, or is planning, a type of movie service that you can subscribe to for unlimited access to movies? I would love to be able to have a GUI on my screen that has every movie on it and you simple press a button to watch that movie (or at least begin the DL to the local device) and you wouldn't have to pay for it individually. Instead I would prefer a monthy fee associated to being able to DL unlimited amounts of movies that way you would only have to keep the movie on the local drive if you were wanting to watch it again and then you wouldn't have to wait for it to DL again. I would pay $40 to $50 a month to do so. It would be like having an Escient Vision/Kaleidascape system with every movie on it for you to choose from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-23-2008, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Not that I know of, but I've been hoping for a plan similar to yours, but I'd be willing for it not to be unlimited. I was hoping for something like $40 for 15 movies per month, which would be a little over twice as much as Netflix's 3-at-a-time plan for roughly the same amount of movies (in my case....I get anywhere from 12-16 a month from there).

I'd pay $40 a month for that for the added convenience of no long waits in the queues and access to something besides the 3 movies from Netflix that I happen to have at home.

I really hope someone does this soon. Unfortunately (using the 15 movies a month) $5/each adds up to $75/month, which is out of my price range. Yeah, I like movies....but not that much.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-26-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

depends on what you want to watch. I use Vudu and rent their 2.99 movies (quite a lot of them). Some of this is first run movies, but there is not much first run at that price point it is usually 3.99 or so. HD is more.

LT

Lazy Tom
post #4 of 6 Old 04-27-2008, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix isn't unlimited, but their service gives you a pretty good number of streaming movies a month for a flat fee.

Digital Media Technology Insider with Microsoft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-20-2008, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/

This is the type of device I was hoping for. Can't wait for it to do HD and for it to be unlimited (if it ever is). Does anyone know if this unit has a hard drive to buffer the data? If so how much space does it have?
post #6 of 6 Old 05-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post

Netflix isn't unlimited, but their service gives you a pretty good number of streaming movies a month for a flat fee.

From the NetFlix Site -- Are there limits on how much I can watch?

No, not with a Netflix plan that includes unlimited instant watching. You can watch as many instant movies and TV episodes as you want, as often and as many times as you want. You're in control of how and when you watch.

They just started this not too long ago. It used to be you could watch the number of hours according to which plan you were on.

Over 10,000 movies - no HD stream - lots of recent movies that you may be interested in but not want to pay extra to see. I have an account just to watch Blue Ray so this is just a really nice extra.

This thread has more info if you are interested - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1009741
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page