Need a Video download service that doesn't use Windows Media Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-23-2008, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried watching a movie with Net Flix's movie on demand service. But my Windows Media Player is corrupted and not fixable. What other service can I use where I can watch streaming movies without being forced to use Windows Media Player(and still have a good quality of selection as Net Flix)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman777 View Post

I tried watching a movie with Net Flix's movie on demand service. But my Windows Media Player is corrupted and not fixable. What other service can I use where I can watch streaming movies without being forced to use Windows Media Player(and still have a good quality of selection as Net Flix)?

My first reaction is to figure out what's supposedly unfixable about your Windows Media Player! What's going on? Have you reported the issue to Microsoft? PM if you'd like my help on this.

Digital Media Technology Insider with Microsoft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-24-2008, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I installed some iRiver software once that corrupted my Windows Media Player and when I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the player, it told me my Windows was invalid. Funny, I purchased my computer from Circuit City and was given a Windows CD with an activation key and everything, so I'm pretty sure my copy is good. I'm sure reformatting the computer and doing a fresh install of Windows would fix the problem, but, meh....

It isn't the size of the disk that counts, but how you use it.

Panasonic 46pz85u

4K cinema at 60mbps, coming soon to a kiosk near you.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-24-2008, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30XS955 User View Post

I installed some iRiver software once that corrupted my Windows Media Player and when I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the player, it told me my Windows was invalid. Funny, I purchased my computer from Circuit City and was given a Windows CD with an activation key and everything, so I'm pretty sure my copy is good. I'm sure reformatting the computer and doing a fresh install of Windows would fix the problem, but, meh....

If you've got an activation key, you can just call the Microsoft phone number that pops up when you can't activate, and they'll give you a new key. It's pretty painless as these things go, certianly less painful that having a dysfunctional WMP!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-24-2008, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

It's not a activation key problem, my key is fine and my Windows is fully genuine and updated(as is all the software and such). Microsoft is very evil and greedy. This is why....I went on their site to get tech support for this problem. Although I already bought their product, I still have to pay to get their tech support for WMP. I have not fixed the problem but I think I found a work around for this. I can't test it till my next day off though.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-24-2008, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not a activation key problem, my key is fine and my Windows is fully genuine and updated(as is all the software and such). Microsoft is very evil and greedy. This is why....I went on their site to get tech support for this problem. Although I already bought their product, I still have to pay to get their tech support for WMP. I have not fixed the problem but I think I found a work around for this. I can't test it till my next day off though.

Well, I work for Microsoft and I'm trying to help you for free . Let me know how your workaround works. This kind of glitch shouldn't happen.

post #7 of 10 Old 04-26-2008, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Try the WGA ActiveX plug-in on the WGA website. Since it works through IE, it might actually work in this case. The stand-alone WGA authentication that comes with certain pieces of software can be blocked by firewalls and other system issues that can result in your key being declared invalid. You might want to take a look with a keyfinder to make sure your key is fully intact in the registry.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-09-2008, 01:02 AM

I,don't agree with u, do polish your concepts.Otherwise it won't be benificial to you.thanku.

post #9 of 10 Old 07-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

You won't find any. This is because Windows Media is the only fully-licensable digital media format whose DRM has been accepted by the major studios and record labels. Apple has Fairplay and Real has Helix DRM, but neither will license their tech to third-parties.

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
post #10 of 10 Old 07-13-2008, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post

You won't find any. This is because Windows Media is the only fully-licensable digital media format whose DRM has been accepted by the major studios and record labels. Apple has Fairplay and Real has Helix DRM, but neither will license their tech to third-parties.

Then why don't you use iTunes.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page