PS3 Gets Video Store and Rentals Tonight - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-15-2008, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Gas prices should help these services along.

http://gizmodo.com/5025507/ps3-gets-...entals-tonight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-15-2008, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I wonder how this will impact Blu-ray disc sales now that over 85% of the Blu-ray installed base can rent or buy HD movies via download.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-15-2008, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Channel View Post

I wonder how this will impact Blu-ray disc sales now that over 85% of the Blu-ray installed base can rent or buy HD movies via download.

I am thinking it could work both ways for and against BD. For in that the quality of BD's both video and especially audio should be better. If some really wants high quality, the lower quality downloads might steer them to BD's. On the other hand as I mentioned in the OP, gas prices should help download sales.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-15-2008, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

For those who demand the very best quality, BD is absolutely the way to go. But I think that the majority of the public will go for the convenience and cost savings of downloads. It will be interesting to watch this play out.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-16-2008, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

No, AMERICANS get the video download service. Sony gave the rest of the world a giant F-U!

Even if downloads were to kill Blu-Ray in the U.S., Blu-Ray is safe everywhere else because most of the world doesn't have any download services with enough content to be serious contenders.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-16-2008, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For most of the rest of the world, Blu Ray is just a fringe product. Given that the average screen size is smaller than in the US and DVD can be found everywhere, it will be awhile before any other physical format can compete with DVD in most of the rest of the world. However, many countries have internet downloads speeds that are faster or comparable to the US.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-16-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av.pallino View Post

For most of the rest of the world, Blu Ray is just a fringe product. Given that the average screen size is smaller than in the US and DVD can be found everywhere, it will be awhile before any other physical format can compete with DVD in most of the rest of the world. However, many countries have internet downloads speeds that are faster or comparable to the US.

Xbox 360 went through the same process of the US first. Europe has different licenses to work through and things. But eventually it came.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-16-2008, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Not very much.

The rental model could be affected, but not the retail model to any significance.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #9 of 13 Old 07-16-2008, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

Not very much.

The rental model could be affected, but not the retail model to any significance.

Isn't pretty much every HD movie they sell via download a lost BD sale? Or are you saying that you don't think they'll sell many movies via download? It would be interesting to see all of the stats to determine if their HD download service cannibalizes HD media sales.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-16-2008, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Isn't pretty much every HD movie they sell via download a lost BD sale? Or are you saying that you don't think they'll sell many movies via download? It would be interesting to see all of the stats to determine if their HD download service cannibalizes HD media sales.

You forgot that none of these online stores (Apple, XBox, PSN) sell HD media - only rent them. I am sure this is in part to protect BD sales.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

You forgot that none of these online stores (Apple, XBox, PSN) sell HD media - only rent them. I am sure this is in part to protect BD sales.

Exactly. The decision for HD rental only appears to be the studios more than vendors...

For the high def nazi (like myself), I would never dream of buying the SD copy. If I was on the fence about a title I would never outright buy, I would be willing to preview an HD, especially if it can be ad hoc without the whole Netflix thing I am so past, much less going to a store. If I like it, then they'll gain a BD sale. If I don't, I wasn't going to buy it anyway...

It doesn't take a hardcore person to realize that high def is better, particularly for action movies. For some movies (comedies, etc) the premium is less mandatory for many people and maybe "sales" could be loss... but these people have DVD which isn't too much more expensive and is permanently theirs and can be resold, if necessary.

And I forsee many of these people forswearing future downloads once they experience their first HDD crash.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #12 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

My mistake. I missread one of the articles announcing the service. Is Vudu the only service selling HD movies via download?
post #13 of 13 Old 07-22-2008, 03:06 AM

Hello they are not good at night.they have to be viewed.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page