what stores (non online) sells the netflix roku player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-22-2008, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i was wondering if anyone like bestbuy sells them? i dont see it on their website, but if anyone knows if they do , let me know. I have over $80 rewardzone credit i'll use that for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-22-2008, 11:29 PM

Just buy an xbox 360 with a large hard drive and you will be set this fall.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-23-2008, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFilth View Post

i have a 360 but the roku will be for another tv in the house
post #4 of 16 Old 07-23-2008, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm not sure, but I think you have to buy it from the Roku site. I also have about $150 in BB gift cards and reward zone stuff, but I don't think they have it.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-23-2008, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

this is a related question but different... what is the limit on the number of xbox360's or roku's that you can have on one account? i looked on netflix's website but never could find a good answer there. just wondering if anybody has ever maxed it out.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar View Post

this is a related question but different... what is the limit on the number of xbox360's or roku's that you can have on one account? i looked on netflix's website but never could find a good answer there. just wondering if anybody has ever maxed it out.

im not certain but i think i read somewhere that its like 4 or 5 , again im not sure.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-23-2008, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

as to your question the only thing ive ever seen is here... http://www.svideo.com/roku.html

but i dont know if i would trust a place like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnola View Post

im not certain but i think i read somewhere that its like 4 or 5 , again im not sure.

and i hope its that many.... just wondering since i have multiple 360's i was wondering if i would be able to use this on both of them and since you said you will have 2 this fall i was thinking you might know or have done that research.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-23-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

It took about 20 seconds of looking to find the answer. (http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevices > What conditions do I need to be aware of?)

Two things to note:
* Members with a Netflix plan that includes unlimited instant watching may associate up to 4 unique devices with an account during a twelve month period.
* With your current Netflix plan, you can watch up to 2 instant movies or TV episodes simultaneously on any combination of Netflix ready devices and PCs.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-16-2008, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Even if you have an Xbox 360, the Roku might be worth considering. It's sweet! And it's quiet! Sets up in 3 minutes and the picture quality is actually quite good. See my post here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14456598
post #10 of 16 Old 08-19-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

i thought of one more question... im getting my house ready for all of this stuff which is prompting all these questions... but does anybody have multiple roku boxes on one account? i have 2 360's in my house that i want to tie to my account (and i know you can have multiple devices on a single account) but i was wondering how it handles having 2 devices.

specifically how it works with the resume points (does each one act independently or does it work similar to the web version) and does it remove stuff from the queue once its been watched.
post #11 of 16 Old 08-21-2008, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar View Post

i thought of one more question... im getting my house ready for all of this stuff which is prompting all these questions... but does anybody have multiple roku boxes on one account? i have 2 360's in my house that i want to tie to my account (and i know you can have multiple devices on a single account) but i was wondering how it handles having 2 devices.

specifically how it works with the resume points (does each one act independently or does it work similar to the web version) and does it remove stuff from the queue once its been watched.

You can have up to 4 active devices. It does NOT remove anything from your queue until you tell it to. Not positive about the resume, but I believe it is item specific. That is, you can watch on laptop, pause, go to Roku, watch, pause , go to 360 and watch (and it picks up from 360 paused point). That is, it is NOT device specific. I only have one Roku, so I have not tested this, just my guess.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-21-2008, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post

You can have up to 4 active devices. It does NOT remove anything from your queue until you tell it to. Not positive about the resume, but I believe it is item specific. That is, you can watch on laptop, pause, go to Roku, watch, pause , go to 360 and watch (and it picks up from 360 paused point). That is, it is NOT device specific. I only have one Roku, so I have not tested this, just my guess.

The resume (usually) works this way for me on my laptops and Roku box. Nifty feature to be able to resume across devices. Very pleased with the Roku and the service to this point.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-08-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFilth View Post

It's my understanding that just having an Xbox 360 will not be sufficient. You'd also need to be an Xbox Live GOLD subscriber...

This movie-watching innovation will be available to Xbox LIVE® Gold members who are also Netflix subscribers, and will let those users enjoy streaming movies from Netflix on Xbox LIVE at no additional cost. (link) ... though a Gold Live membership is only an additional $50/year.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-10-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post

It's my understanding that just having an Xbox 360 will not be sufficient. You'd also need to be an Xbox Live GOLD subscriber...

This movie-watching innovation will be available to Xbox LIVE® Gold members who are also Netflix subscribers, and will let those users enjoy streaming movies from Netflix on Xbox LIVE at no additional cost. (link) ... though a Gold Live membership is only an additional $50/year.

Exactly correct!

If you already have an Xbox Live Gold membership, then Xbox 360 may be the way to go, otherwise, I think the Roku Netflix Player is the cat's pajamas and has it all over the Xbox.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-02-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

It took about 20 seconds of looking to find the answer. (http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevices > What conditions do I need to be aware of?)

Two things to note:
* Members with a Netflix plan that includes unlimited instant watching may associate up to 4 unique devices with an account during a twelve month period.
* With your current Netflix plan, you can watch up to 2 instant movies or TV episodes simultaneously on any combination of Netflix ready devices and PCs.

Not quite...

http://www.netflix.com/FAQ?p_faqid=2902
Q: Can I watch movies instantly on more than one PC or Netflix ready device?
A:
Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix ready device at the same time (for example, watching a movie on your laptop while another family member watches on a TV via a Netflix ready device in another room ).

1-disc plans may watch on one device at a time, 2-disc plans on up to two devices at the same time, 3-disc plans on up to three devices, and plans with four or more discs on up to four devices simultaneously.

In addition, due to requirements from content providers, there's a limit to the number of unique devices each account can use to watch instantly. Each Netflix account may watch instantly on up to six unique authorized devices, including personal computers and Netflix ready devices.
post #16 of 16 Old 11-02-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb50 View Post

Not quite...

http://www.netflix.com/FAQ?p_faqid=2902
Q: Can I watch movies instantly on more than one PC or Netflix ready device?
A:
Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix ready device at the same time (for example, watching a movie on your laptop while another family member watches on a TV via a Netflix ready device in another room ).

1-disc plans may watch on one device at a time, 2-disc plans on up to two devices at the same time, 3-disc plans on up to three devices, and plans with four or more discs on up to four devices simultaneously.

In addition, due to requirements from content providers, there's a limit to the number of unique devices each account can use to watch instantly. Each Netflix account may watch instantly on up to six unique authorized devices, including personal computers and Netflix ready devices.

They changed the terms in the 3+ months since I originally posted that. I'm not going to go back and update my posts every time something like that changes.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware