Computer to TV: Video + Audio wirelessly - possible/affordable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm looking to cut costs and would love to cancel my $80 per month directTV bill. The problem is that the fiance' and I enjoy our TV and would HAVE to have some sort of replacement. We do have netflix and I have strongly considered using their streaming service. My only reservation there is lack of content. Obviouisly there is much more out there on the web.

It seems like there should be some sort of wireless box with TV outputs (hdmi, component, composite, etc) to make this easy. Similiar to the new one for the netflix service.

Is there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-25-2008, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

I guess not, eh?

Again what I'm looking for is a wireless unit to wirelessly to a box that would be placed near my TV with TV outputs.

It seems like there would be a huge demand for such a device. Why isnt there one?
post #3 of 12 Old 10-25-2008, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To be blunt, what you are looking for is an XBox 360 with wireless add-on. I would say "any Media Center Extender device", but the rest of them were commercial failures, as far as I know. The 360 will stream most kinds of video/pic/music from your PC and/or external hard drives, and will present the Media Center from your PC onto your TV, and can be wireless. And the 360 will be a Netflix device starting in December, although you will have to be a subscriber of both services to get it (i.e. Netflix subscription plus a ~$4/mo XBox subscription).
post #4 of 12 Old 10-25-2008, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thats not really what I am looking for.

What I want is not a media streaming device ... but more like a wireless hookup for a computer to go to a TV. So the TV sees exactly what the computer screen sees.

I understand the new netflix hardware "roku (I think its called)" is similiar, it streams netflix specificly. The XBOX streams video/audio files specificly. I want to stream exactly what my computer sees.

It seems like this would be fairly simple and available hardware. To watch TV I would have to browse the internet on my computer to locate a show, play it, and then go to my TV to watch.

I'm assuming from the lack of response that there is no such hardware currently. Again, it seems to me like there would be. Unless there is some sort of technological hinderance.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-26-2008, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't believe what you are asking for exists, at least wirelessly. As mentioned the 360 or PS3 is the closest your going to get (I currently use Playon to watch Netflix and Hulu through mine)

However, it sounds like you just want to use your TV as a computer monitor. While you can't do it wirelessly, if your TV is close enough it should be simple enough. If your TV has a VGA input, you can just run the cable from your computer to your TV. Or if you don't, you might need a videocard with the appropriate hookups. I am not familiar enough if there is a VGA to component cable or something like that, but regardless, it shouldn't be that hard to use the TV as a monitor. Might want to stroll over to the HTPC (Home Theater PC) section.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-27-2008, 10:22 AM

Typing "wireless vga" into Google gave me some interesting results... for example, this price list. But the prices seem awfully high. Surely you have a basement or attic that you can run cable through for a cheaper price.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

it sounds like you just want to use your TV as a computer monitor.

Yeah that's what it sounds like to me too. Just move the PC next to the TV and get a wireless keyboard/mouse. If your TV doesn't have the requisite inputs, buy a TV tuner/video capture card or USB dongle. As a bonus, you can probably get rid of your DVD player, and just use the drive in your PC.

-Chris
post #8 of 12 Old 11-09-2008, 11:37 AM

How about Apple TV? I am not sure if it has the wireless component or not but it looks pretty cool.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 10:00 PM

Look for Netgear EVA8000. It will do nearly what you want. It's purpose is to stream 'wireless' or 'wired' files from PC or internet to your TV and Audio system. Also it can show the exact screen of your PC in low resolution. You can also control your PC but it's not friendly user.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-05-2009, 06:28 AM

old thread, i know, but i saw this on bensbargains today. Sounds like you are describing this to a T. only 150.00 at buy.com.

Addlogix InternetVue 2020.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-05-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HiMarks View Post

Yeah that's what it sounds like to me too. Just move the PC next to the TV and get a wireless keyboard/mouse. If your TV doesn't have the requisite inputs, buy a TV tuner/video capture card or USB dongle. As a bonus, you can probably get rid of your DVD player, and just use the drive in your PC.

-Chris

This is what I did back in 2001. i used a VGA to component transcoder so i could use my PC on my HD set. And I just used a wireless keyboard and mouse.
Now things are much,much easier. Just connect the video ard to teh HDMI input on the TV. All the current video cards are designed to be abke to output 720P, 1080i, and 1080P. The last time i connected a PC to a Tv I didn't have to set anything up. The PC got the proper resolution from the TV.
This is much easier than what I had to go through in 2001.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #12 of 12 Old 04-11-2009, 05:49 AM

I have a laptop that is a few years old. Dell Inspiron 6000 with :

Video Card 64MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY RADEON X300 PCI Express x16
Graphics 64ATI [320-3896] 6

Could you tell me a good video card to replace this one , that I could purchase to connect to my tv through an HDMI. Currently I am connected through a VGA to VGA on the back of my tv.

Thanks
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page