Master Vudu discussion - place to talk about your Vudu experience - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #271 of 1977 Old 01-21-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe View Post

119" screen here. HDX looks every bit as good as blu-ray. I am surprised that SD looks very good as well and is on demand. I understand HD is on demand too given my >4 Mbps connection so we will try one of those soon too. So far I am extremely impressed with the device/service. If anything the remote is to damn small, easily misplaced. It's like a "fun size" candy bar, not as big as standard but not bite size either.

I also stopped purchasing blu-ray discs mid-Dec. having started downloads via PSN. Was not happy with the speed of interface. Vudu blows away PSN in ease of use and speed, glad I jumped @ $99. My box will be paid for in 1 month.

I hit my max download speed of 50mbs(I have FIOS 50/20 service) from PSN everytime so it is extremely fast for me, but I rarely use it. VUDU is my primary DD source.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1977 Old 01-21-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

Gizmo, this is off your post, but I see you own about the same number of HD titles as I do. I quit buying almost altogether when I got my Vudu at Christmas. Do you see the same?

I figure even in HDX at $6, I have to rent the darn thing 4 times to equal a (discounted) purchase on Blu. And, older catalog titles are available cheaper if we can live with HD or SD. I just can't justify much of it. As I look at my collection (over 1000 total), I can see maybe 100 titles we have watched more than 4 times.

My only purchase in January so far is Eagle Eye and I doubt we'll watch that more than 4 times.

With Netflix on each Tivo in the house (4) and two Vudus, I could envision selling my collection altogether for the first time.

That's what I am hoping for (buying less), but as a reviewer, I can't stop the studios from sending me titles to review But yeah, I do want to get it so I can check out other titles in HD that are not in Blu, or others that might be questionable purchases for me that I don't get to review.
post #273 of 1977 Old 01-21-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And after a $5.99 viewing you are offered $3.99 or less for a 2nd viewing within 2 weeks I think. At least it looked like it on my box.

I demo'ed Vudu to 2 other friends. They thought it was a fantastic idea for $99 and I believe they would even stomach $149-$199. At $299 they are in the Gizmo camp ... wait for entry.

I would also like to see HDX download speeds boosted from 4 Mbps to 8-10 Mbps in the next few Qtrs and full 20 Mbps within 1.5 years. Right now however there is no other download service that comes close IMHO. I stopped PSN downloads and blu disc buying is "on hold" ....

Funny thing is, I have an AppleTV (hacked so I can load my own files onto it along with Boxee) and a 360. I have thounsads of SD and HD content at my fingertips, but VuDu quality is just so much nicer. My friend had one and when I compared it to a release on my AppleTV, the VuDu just looked so much nicer. C'mon...I need a deal on this!
post #274 of 1977 Old 01-22-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I hit my max download speed of 50mbs(I have FIOS 50/20 service) from PSN everytime so it is extremely fast for me, but I rarely use it. VUDU is my primary DD source.

I had read that Sony limited their server download speed in the past. I find it hard to believe they allow up to 50 Mbps out of their servers. Did you actually measure >5 Mbps from them? I admit I haven't tried PSN for 6 weeks now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Funny thing is, I have an AppleTV (hacked so I can load my own files onto it along with Boxee) and a 360. I have thounsads of SD and HD content at my fingertips, but VuDu quality is just so much nicer. My friend had one and when I compared it to a release on my AppleTV, the VuDu just looked so much nicer. C'mon...I need a deal on this!

We need to start a pool on when Gizmo caves and buys in!
post #275 of 1977 Old 01-22-2009, 08:30 AM

Any advancements on letting us view our own content on this box?

Thanks

Enough with the PMs about the name...

Getting
Everything
Never
Implies
U are
Satisfied
post #276 of 1977 Old 01-22-2009, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Another item I would like others to confirm. I setup Video to be 1080p but last night when viewing "Jaws" I had to go back to 1080i to avoid studder. This leads me to believe not all movies (the older ones) are 1080p/24. Anyhow, it's not a big deal to change settings but others in the house are less technically inclined.
post #277 of 1977 Old 01-22-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Another item I would like others to confirm. I setup Video to be 1080p but last night when viewing "Jaws" I had to go back to 1080i to avoid studder. This leads me to believe not all movies (the older ones) are 1080p/24. Anyhow, it's not a big deal to change settings but others in the house are less technically inclined.

I had the same issue with my projector. I fixed it by setting output to "TV preferrd" or whatever it gets from the edid and it fixed it.

My PJ will take 1080/24P but not 1080/60

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #278 of 1977 Old 01-22-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

I had the same issue with my projector. I fixed it by setting output to "TV preferrd" or whatever it gets from the edid and it fixed it.

My PJ will take 1080/24P but not 1080/60

Thanks, I will experiment some more. I never noticed TV preferred. I guess I was looking to force feed my PJ 1080p/24 but that is not the best idea when viewing SD or 1080i/60 video sources.
post #279 of 1977 Old 01-22-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We need to start a pool on when Gizmo caves and buys in!

When it hits a good peice point I'll cave. But I won't pay $300 for the ability to pay $4-$6 for a HD movie when I have two other options (ATV and 360) already available to me. How VuDu still expects to sell these for $299 is beyond me. $99 and they would fly off the shelves. My BB is stocked like crwzy with boxes and I want one!
post #280 of 1977 Old 01-22-2009, 12:09 PM

Has anyone else noticed more movies are available day and date with their DVD releases? The delayed rental window has always been a bit of an annoyance (Not Vudu's fault since this is up to the studios) but Babylon AD was day and date as well as Max Payne. I'm guessing this is because the didn't do so great at the box offices but it is nice to able to rent these as soon as they are available. I have yet to see a blockbuster come out day and date so I hope that changes as well as them adding some more TV content which is the only thing lacking in Vudu's library IMO.
post #281 of 1977 Old 01-23-2009, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius74 View Post

Any advancements on letting us view our own content on this box?

Thanks

Technically, you can do this now - just post all your content on YouTube and watch it through Vudu Labs. Hopefully the RIA interface will make this much desired feature a reality on Vudu soon. I'm still waiting for them to post a link to download a copy of the RIA for personal usage.

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #282 of 1977 Old 01-23-2009, 09:45 AM

Can you post 1080p mkv files to youtube and get the same quality?!

If so, I didn't know that..

Thanks

Getting
Everything
Never
Implies
U are
Satisfied
post #283 of 1977 Old 01-23-2009, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know you can play HD files from YouTube on Vudu, and they look great. I don't have enough information to comment on the specifics. I just understand that YouTube has been moving towards a big HD emphasis.

post #284 of 1977 Old 01-23-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Speaking of Max Payne, boy did it ever look fantastic in HDX!! If you need demo material to show how good VUDU can look, that title would be a good choice.

Phil
post #285 of 1977 Old 01-23-2009, 12:36 PM

I'll look into it.. thanks for the info..

I'd imagine there would be quite a bit of transcoding done before / after / during the upload of said file(s)..

I may have to rethink my angle as to what I want from this "box" that I'm looking for..

Thanks again for your input..

Getting
Everything
Never
Implies
U are
Satisfied
post #286 of 1977 Old 01-24-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Last night we rented an HD movie for immediate playback. The first issue was lack of audio so I stopped and changed the settings back to stereo and the problem was resolved. I had hoped to leave it at 5.1 all the time. My Denon receiver is set to receive audio over HDMI but maybe I somehow have that limited to 5.1 only and not stereo. I also want to apply processing to fill all 7 channels.

The 2nd issue we had was 46 minutes in. The video stuttered. I paused and did a 30 second rewind and it played fine for 15 minutes more. At this point the movie download was well ahead of playback but the video stuttered. I am at a loss as to why.

SD playback is/was fine with my previous audio/video settings
HDX playback is/was also fine.
HD playback is a bit problematic for me.

The movie was "Burn after Reading" if that matters.

UPDATE - - I will perform a reboot and send my sys id to Vudu engineers.

I guess I am not 100% up to the ins and outs of the box yet. By the way HD is VERY good resolution. Our guests were in disbelief about the PQ from a download. Still, I prefer HDX and flawless playback with 5.1 surround. I also noted that HDX version of the same movie could have started playback in 2 hours last night. I thought 4 hours was the norm? Perhaps not a very high bit rate action movie so 2 hours was enough.

k
post #287 of 1977 Old 01-24-2009, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Last night we rented an HD movie for immediate playback. The first issue was lack of audio so I stopped and changed the settings back to stereo and the problem was resolved. I had hoped to leave it at 5.1 all the time. My Denon receiver is set to receive audio over HDMI but maybe I somehow have that limited to 5.1 only and not stereo. I also want to apply processing to fill all 7 channels.

The 2nd issue we had was 46 minutes in. The video stuttered. I paused and did a 30 second rewind and it played fine for 15 minutes more. At this point the movie download was well ahead of playback but the video stuttered. I am at a loss as to why.

SD playback is/was fine with my previous audio/video settings
HDX playback is/was also fine.
HD playback is a bit problematic for me.

The movie was "Burn after Reading" if that matters.

UPDATE - - I will perform a reboot and send my sys id to Vudu engineers.

I guess I am not 100% up to the ins and outs of the box yet. By the way HD is VERY good resolution. Our guests were in disbelief about the PQ from a download. Still, I prefer HDX and flawless playback with 5.1 surround. I also noted that HDX version of the same movie could have started playback in 2 hours last night. I thought 4 hours was the norm? Perhaps not a very high bit rate action movie so 2 hours was enough.

k

Had you used Vudu labs anytime this "boot" before watching the movie? I think it's a known bug that 5.1 HDMI audio doesnt work after using Vudu labs. I think enabling stereo, then watching the movie for a second, then switching back to 5.1 fixes it, as does a reboot. I'm not sure about the video stutter, did a reboot fix it?

bald
post #288 of 1977 Old 01-24-2009, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I had a stutter problem throughout a movie, a few weeks back. I had never seen this problem before, and after a re-boot, never saw it since.

Phil
post #289 of 1977 Old 01-24-2009, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes we did use Vudu Labs before the movie. Thanks for the suggestions. I have a different boot procedure from Vudu tech. support I received this afternoon (Saturday???) so I'll give that a go. We are currently downloading an HDX.

By the way it is a re-assign of the remote. I don't think it should matter but we do have all the usual wireless suspects. PS3, XBox 360, Wii, cordless phones
post #290 of 1977 Old 01-25-2009, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The HDMI audio/video glitches after using Vudu Labs is a "known bug" that they are going to patch soon. For now, a cold reboot after Vudu Labs does fix everything.

The Vudu remote uses RF in a range that is not in conflict with those other devices (they are mostly IR). The Vudu remote can be set to 4 different RF frequencies via dip switches (see www.vudu.com for the remote pairing instructions).

post #291 of 1977 Old 01-25-2009, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

None of those controllers are IR. There is even a wireless headset used. The Wii uses IR only in setup with the sensor bar.

Last night after Vudu labs again and during browsing of titles the box suddenly displayed the message "going to sleep" and shut down. After about 2 minutes we were able to get it to come out of "sleep" and respond to the remote.
post #292 of 1977 Old 01-25-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:

None of those controllers are IR. There is even a wireless headset used. The Wii uses IR only in setup with the sensor bar.

Last night after VUDU labs again and during browsing of titles the box suddenly displayed the message "going to sleep" and shut down. After about 2 minutes we were able to get it to come out of "sleep" and respond to the remote.

I have all those devices plus several Bluetooth devices too. I've never had any interference with my VUDU boxes. And I have three with each one using a different frequency with each VUDU remote.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #293 of 1977 Old 01-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nded View Post

The Vudu remote uses RF in a range that is not in conflict with those other devices (they are mostly IR). The Vudu remote can be set to 4 different RF frequencies via dip switches (see www.vudu.com for the remote pairing instructions).

Are you saying the Vudu box can not accept IR? I have a pronto professional that uses either IR or Serial to control devices. Are their other ways to control the VUDU box if you have a set up like a Pronto Pro?
post #294 of 1977 Old 01-25-2009, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I have all those devices plus several Bluetooth devices too. I've never had any interference with my VUDU boxes. And I have three with each one using a different frequency with each VUDU remote.

I never claimed I had interference. I just wanted Vudu support to know what I have in the vicinity. I do notice sluggish performance from the remote from time to time. I have since changed the freq. of my Vudu remote but have not used it extensively since.

We just noticed the "going to sleep" message last night after a Vudu labs session. My daughter claims she just left Vudu labs and went to browse the catalog when the message appeared. We had to wait a couple of minutes for the box to respond.
post #295 of 1977 Old 01-25-2009, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tywoniak View Post

Are you saying the Vudu box can not accept IR? I have a pronto professional that uses either IR or Serial to control devices. Are their other ways to control the VUDU box if you have a set up like a Pronto Pro?

There is an IR adapter for the Vudu. I believe pronto remotes are among the compatible remotes, but I would confirm that in the Vudu documentation on their website.

bald
post #296 of 1977 Old 01-25-2009, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tywoniak View Post

Out of the box the Vudu does not support IR control. The IR kit for the Vudu (allowing you to use your Pronto) is sold on the vudu website for $39. I've seen them on eBay occasionally for much less.

post #297 of 1977 Old 01-25-2009, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been noticing that many of the HDX titles are now showing download times of 2 hours, however that is half of the time that it actually takes. I have checked my bandwidth, through the device and am consistently getting more than the max 4mbs, and my cable line is capable of 20+.

I made the mistake tonight of planning a movie, that was supposed to take two hours to download, but it took twice that long, and was unable to watch it. I won't make that mistake again, but am wondering what is going on??

Phil
post #298 of 1977 Old 01-25-2009, 09:28 PM

I just have to say that iPhone thing is an amazing saver! Fast access, I pick movies and the thing downloads to my Vudu box and while I'm ready to watch in my theater room it's already downloaded. Great stuff.

I have to commend Vudu management and engineers at doing a tremendous job adding extremely cool features to this little box!

We just need the external streaming from our hard drives or through network and I'll be a super happy camper and I bet a lot of other users.

I can't wait to see how far Vudu goes and how far community will go to extend with Vudu labs.

Btw, I have a bit of a an idea that's out there but if you have great relationship with the studios there's something I bet we all dreamed about.

Buying active movies in the theater through Vudu box. I always had an idea about having a company create relationships with movie theater chains and studios to offer current theater movies for download as well.

Now I know this is pretty impossible but if it was in any way possible I think this would be the perfect way it would work:

1. Movies would be encoded in high quality (HDX)
2. Vudu would act as a connection between a consumer and the theater and allow purchasing of a ticket either through Vudu interface or even in the theaters as well. You go pick up the ticket, you get Vudu code on it, you come back and you punch it in and your download starts.
3. I understand that Vudu needs to make money off of this but I'm pretty sure that majority of us would gladly pay premium over the regular ticket because our theaters are most likely much better then what we have in theaters to begin with. If a ticket is $9, I would have no problem paying $15 to get it on Vudu. It could take care of the movie theaters, it would certainly make studios happy and Vudu could make some profit out of it.

In my perfect dream, everybody wins. Ok, maybe theaters rely more on snacks and beverage revenue but they still won't lose out and plenty of people will still go to see the movie in theaters.

I wish Vudu management maybe throw an idea in the air with the studios and try. This would be absolutely fantastic and put Vudu in such a unique place I can't even describe.

Imagine, kids soccer practice or other activities over the weekend and then one pulls up his/her iphone, buys a ticket on Vudu, comes home and do a family screening of the latest movies.

What a wonderful dream, is it not?

XBL: Bozster | PSN: Bozster
post #299 of 1977 Old 01-25-2009, 10:36 PM

So you'd pay $15 for a theatrical release on your VUDU, that as many people that could fit in your living room/home theater could watch. All that lost revenue is something you think studios would ever agree too?
post #300 of 1977 Old 01-25-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingfan View Post

So you'd pay $15 for a theatrical release on your VUDU, that as many people that could fit in your living room/home theater could watch. All that lost revenue is something you think studios would ever agree too?

I think you are taking it too far. I'm certainly not going to have 20 people watching the movie and even if I wanted to it's pretty impossible. Who's gonna do that? But even without that, you still pay premium for the privilege. They won't lose money because a lot of people who have theaters and use Vudu most likely don't even go to the theater but wait for the release on Vudu or DVD or Blu-Ray to watch home, and those who do, will continue going to the theater. At least I think so based on what I've heard from people like I am.

But one can dream and hope that day will come. At the very least it would be something that would kick theater chains in the behind and force them to provide better experience for movie watching so you would not want to stay home.

XBL: Bozster | PSN: Bozster
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page