Master Vudu discussion - place to talk about your Vudu experience - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #451 of 1941 Old 02-25-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwack View Post

by the way, how long is the HDMI cable that is provided with the vudu??

About 2 meters (6 feet).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1941 Old 02-25-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From what I've been reading, the video quality is superior and the movies would be instant albeit 3-4 hours to download....

I have a 4Mbps connection (actually tests out at 20.4 Mbps sustained download)

For 4 Mbps you get instant SD and HD. The 4-5 hours wait is for HDX only.

HD is no more than 4 Mbps peak bit rate 1080p/24 with 2 channel sound.
HDX is no more than 20 Mbps peak bit rate 1080p/24 with DD 5.1 channel sound.

My biggest "wish" is for Vudu to offer 8 Mbps or even higher service so that we can boost HDX to at least 5.1 DD+, TruHD or DTS-MA. 20 Mbps peak bit rate leaves plenty for video when only using DD 5.1 sound. Of course HDMI 1.3a would be required to handle the audio. Think of it as "profile 1.1" Vudu .... lol
post #453 of 1941 Old 02-25-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe View Post

I have a 4Mbps connection (actually tests out at 20.4 Mbps sustained download)

For 4 Mbps you get instant SD and HD. The 4-5 hours wait is for HDX only.

My biggest "wish" is for Vudu to offer 8 Mbps or even higher service so that we can boost HDX to at least 5.1 DD+, TruHD or DTS-MA. 20 Mbps peak bit rate leaves plenty for video when only using DD 5.1 sound. Of course HDMI 1.3a would be required to handle the audio. Think of it as "profile 1.1" Vudu .... lol

All the content is already in DD+. The VUDU box transcodes it to DD for output. The box can't decode TrueHD or DTS and it doesn't have HDMI 1.3 so it can't bitstream the DD+(or any advanced codec)

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #454 of 1941 Old 02-25-2009, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

All the content is already in DD+. The VUDU box transcodes it to DD for output. The box can't decode TrueHD or DTS and it doesn't have HDMI 1.3 so it can't bitstream the DD+(or any advanced codec)

I want output of DD+. I also want HDMI 1.3a to get the higher end audio in the future, that is why I propose Vudu profile 1.1 ....
post #455 of 1941 Old 02-25-2009, 11:36 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm almost positive that numerous HD and some SD titles have 5.1 sound.

bald
post #456 of 1941 Old 02-25-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Question then. Would my HT Onkyo receiver be able to decode it to TrueHD since, I believe, my receiver has TrueHD?
post #457 of 1941 Old 02-25-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's been posted on the VUDU forum by a rep that all new releases are DD 5.1 native , and are not derived from DD +.
post #458 of 1941 Old 02-25-2009, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinivey View Post

It's been posted on the VUDU forum by a rep that all new releases are DD 5.1 native , and are not derived from DD +.

ALL new releases? I guess I have not paid much attention since I only see 2 channel on SD movies but have not watched a new release in SD. Only HD or HDX.
post #459 of 1941 Old 02-25-2009, 09:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

I haven't heard that on the VUDU forums. Who posted it? The last I heard was all titles were encoded with DD+ and transcoded to DD for output.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #460 of 1941 Old 02-27-2009, 12:27 PM

I just learned about a free test pattern for your vudu box. If you search for the title QWYZZY, you can purchase a "free" test pattern video. Has anyone tried this file yet? I am downloading the HDX to my vudu box now.

:. lukester .:
post #461 of 1941 Old 02-27-2009, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukester View Post

I just learned about a free test pattern for your vudu box. If you search for the title QWYZZY, you can purchase a "free" test pattern video. Has anyone tried this file yet? I am downloading the HDX to my vudu box now.

Yeah, I got it. It is very useful, and the price is great!

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #462 of 1941 Old 03-02-2009, 02:46 PM

After a week of researching, I walked into a BB and bought Vudu today. Connected everything and wham -- so far so good.

I am a bit nervous that I'll get "addicted" to the instant viewing and HDX movies and my bill will be huge but we'll see....I'll just have to have to some will power.

C'mon Vudu....stay afloat!!
post #463 of 1941 Old 03-02-2009, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After a week of researching, I walked into a BB and bought Vudu today. Connected everything and wham -- so far so good.

I am a bit nervous that I'll get "addicted" to the instant viewing and HDX movies and my bill will be huge but we'll see....I'll just have to have to some will power.

C'mon Vudu....stay afloat!!

Take a look at the $0.99 section. Always some filler material in there to occupy your time. We spent about $42 the first month. Looks like it will taper down a bit the 2nd month and a bit more when summer finally arrives.
post #464 of 1941 Old 03-02-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:

Take a look at the $0.99 section. Always some filler material in there to occupy your time. We spent about $42 the first month. Looks like it will taper down a bit the 2nd month and a bit more when summer finally arrives.

Good idea....I'll start looking at the .99 section tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!
post #465 of 1941 Old 03-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

I was watching the Lucky Ones in HDX. I was only getting 2 channel audio. While the video seemed comparable to BluRay - the sound was just horrible - not even close to BluRay lossless. Do others hear the difference? I have not watched a lot of rentals on Vudu yet - but I would rarely rent if the audio is only two channel.

Could it be a problem with my Integra Receiver. I do not have any problems getting the Integra to recognize lossless audio on my bluray. Therefore I am assuming it should recognize dolby digital from the Vudu.

Any thoughts anyone?
post #466 of 1941 Old 03-03-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nded View Post

Yeah, I got it. It is very useful, and the price is great!

Hey Nded,

I'm downloading the test pattern now, as well, but I'm only renting the free test....should I cancel it and "buy it"? I mean, how often would I use it -- just once right?

Thanks.
post #467 of 1941 Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Nded,

I'm downloading the test pattern now, as well, but I'm only renting the free test....should I cancel it and "buy it"? I mean, how often would I use it -- just once right?

Thanks.

Seeing as it's "free", and you can download it as many times as you like, I'd say it's entirely a matter of personal preference.

P.S. I understand that the 99 for .99 promotion is going away. Some sort of new promo should pop up soon.

post #468 of 1941 Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tywoniak View Post

I was watching the Lucky Ones in HDX. I was only getting 2 channel audio. While the video seemed comparable to BluRay - the sound was just horrible - not even close to BluRay lossless. Do others hear the difference? I have not watched a lot of rentals on Vudu yet - but I would rarely rent if the audio is only two channel.

Could it be a problem with my Integra Receiver. I do not have any problems getting the Integra to recognize lossless audio on my bluray. Therefore I am assuming it should recognize dolby digital from the Vudu.

Any thoughts anyone?

That doesn't sound right at all. I suggest you open a support ticket at http://support.vudu.com/contact - be sure to include your system ID and as much detail as possible about your AV gear. Seeing as you live in Vudu's back yard, you might be surprised at what they will do to solve your problem.

post #469 of 1941 Old 03-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Any thoughts anyone?

This is the thing I HATE about Vudu. Some of their HD titles (Like the Lucky Ones) is in STEREO only not 5.1 surround. I am really pissed about this and the only way to see this is by going to their website, logging in and go to the movie. This happened to me on Master and Commander. This is total BS IMO and there should be a way to know on the actual Vudu box if it is stereo or surround.

Why even have HD movies in stereo?
post #470 of 1941 Old 03-03-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 View Post

This is the thing I HATE about Vudu. Some of their HD titles (Like the Lucky Ones) is in STEREO only not 5.1 surround. I am really pissed about this and the only way to see this is by going to their website, logging in and go to the movie. This happened to me on Master and Commander. This is total BS IMO and there should be a way to know on the actual Vudu box if it is stereo or surround.

Why even have HD movies in stereo?

It is a studio call as to whether or not a movie on Vudu has stereo vs. surround sound. If Vudu had their choice, they would provide all movies with SS. This information is displayed on the Vudu screen BEFORE you order/rent/purchase.

post #471 of 1941 Old 03-09-2009, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nded View Post

It is a studio call as to whether or not a movie on Vudu has stereo vs. surround sound. If Vudu had their choice, they would provide all movies with SS. This information is displayed on the Vudu screen BEFORE you order/rent/purchase.

So this should mean that any other download/VOD service would get the same, correct? agree one should be able to tell from the menus, but i would be pi$$ed if servces got different versions.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #472 of 1941 Old 03-11-2009, 09:34 AM

Hey Guys,

A few weeks ago, I finally purchased Vudu after weeks of research. Yesterday, I finally decided to download some movies to watch in HD or HDX quality. I went online to download both Role Models and the foreign vampire flick, Let The Right One In.

Imagine my confusion when neither flicks are available!! Now, Role Models is available to OWN but not to Rent.

I thought the movies are available upon DVD release dates???

I did find, in their FAQ, that the movie availability dates are subjected to the movie studios which could be 1-5 days. IF this is true, I'm somewhat bummed for I have to wait for the movies instead of the availability through Netflix.

Am I wrong???
post #473 of 1941 Old 03-12-2009, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

You are wrong. Unless the release is Warner Brothers , you will have to wait at least a month. this is how all pay per view systems work. the studios do this to protect their dvd bluray sales.
post #474 of 1941 Old 03-12-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:

You are wrong. Unless the release is Warner Brothers , you will have to wait at least a month. this is how all pay per view systems work. the studios do this to protect their dvd bluray sales.

Really? A month? This is on Vudu's site on availability:

Generally, we get movies at the same time that their DVDs are released; however, this is determined by the studios on a title-by-title basis. Sometimes, there might be a short gap (1 to 5 days) between the DVD release and the film appearing on your VUDU box, depending on the VUDU box update schedule. At the DVD release, you may purchase the movie on VUDU.
post #475 of 1941 Old 03-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

my experience has been good with release dates. I can get a vudu release about the same time I can get a bluray release
post #476 of 1941 Old 03-12-2009, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Unfortunately...this is the main reason I haven't jumped on board yet. Too long of a wait to "rent" new releases. I'm not really interested in purchacing to Own on the vudu box....and the convience vs. rental stores lessens.

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
post #477 of 1941 Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:

my experience has been good with release dates. I can get a vudu release about the same time I can get a bluray release

I'm not sure how you can say that for my example: Role Model and Let The Right One in was available on Tuesday but still not available on Vudu.

To make it more nerve racking -- I checked Vudu's forum boards and under Movie Request, a person asked to have Vicky Cristina Barcelone available. That shocked me for that DVD release was at the end of January!

Again, maybe I did my homework wrong but I thought the movies would be available near the release dates...

I guess I'm glad I still have my Netflix account..
post #478 of 1941 Old 03-12-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

Unfortunately...this is the main reason I haven't jumped on board yet. Too long of a wait to "rent" new releases. I'm not really interested in purchacing to Own on the vudu box....and the convience vs. rental stores lessens.

I agree. I'm going to check my return policy with Best Buy and see if I can return my Vudu box. I thought the advantage of Vudu was to get the movies without the wait. I, like you, do not want to own them, but rather rent them in HD.
post #479 of 1941 Old 03-12-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

This is the reason I also find VUDU unappealing.

Why would I want to pay more, get less content and wait longer to get what can be had by renting the BD?
post #480 of 1941 Old 03-12-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:

To make it more nerve racking -- I checked Vudu's forum boards and under Movie Request, a person asked to have Vicky Cristina Barcelone available. That shocked me for that DVD release was at the end of January!

Again, maybe I did my homework wrong but I thought the movies would be available near the release dates...

I guess I'm glad I still have my Netflix account..

Well, don't speak too soon. I have netflix as well - currently Vicky Cristina Barcelona is a Long wait, as are a lot of new release DVDs (don't even get me started with new release Blu rays) on netflix. The solution? I use both. I keep the $9/mo netflix and watch about a movie a week. When I have time to watch more than that, I pick something I want to see on Vudu. Also, waiting a month for the ppv window is no different than theater vs dvd. If you absolutely have to see the DVD on the Tuesday it comes out and it's not on Vudu, you're going to have to either buy it, rent from a b&m, or hope that the other 9million netflix users aren't interested. After waiting 6 months for dvd to catch up with theater releases i've skipped, waiting another month for the PPV schedule is no big deal.

Quote:

To make it more nerve racking --

Also, try to relax - movies are supposed to be fun.

bald
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page