Master Vudu discussion - place to talk about your Vudu experience - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #541 of 1949 Old 04-01-2009, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

The one I found (mentioned above) was worthless, basically just a clip show (with the black crush). As also already mentioned, I did try to re-calibrate the set anyway. The results were unsatisfactory.
My DVD player, BD player and TViX all dial in at about the same values (using DVE or DVE HD Basics, as mentioned); the Vudu was way off.
There was no black crush evident on the HD (not HDX) encode of Wall-E, using the same settings as for the other equipment, so I suspect the HDX process. (However, the HD PQ was unimpresssive.) I finally returned it.

Which TV are you using? I've had the Vudu black crush on a Sony XBR8 LCD. Today, it's being exchanged for a Mitsubishi LCD. I'll be interested to see if there is any difference in the picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1949 Old 04-01-2009, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

I agree on don't get rid of your netflix account today. I had Slumdog BluRay in my mailbox the day of release. Also - HDX and HD do not equal BluRay audio and video quality although HDX seems to be a tad better than DirecTV. The good thing about Vudu is that there are some titles in HD that are just not available on BluRay or DirecTV HD (i.e. Boy in the Striped Pajamas). So I will not be getting rid of my VUDU.
post #543 of 1949 Old 04-01-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've never had a Netflix account, but then again, I don't care whether or not I get to rent a movie on the day of release, or a few weeks later. The release dates are arbitrary anyway, and I already have more movies to watch on my Vudu then I may ever get around to viewing - life is short.

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #544 of 1949 Old 04-01-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nded View Post

I've never had a Netflix account, but then again, I don't care whether or not I get to rent a movie on the day of release, or a few weeks later. The release dates are arbitrary anyway, and I already have more movies to watch on my Vudu then I may ever get around to viewing - life is short.

Well nded, that's where I disagree. If a great, critically acclaimed movie come out like Dark Knight, Slumdog, etc...I want to watch it when it comes out on release day. Why wait a month if you can watch it on DVD! I imagine the majority of users would want to watch it ASAP not 2-3 weeks later. You're rare.

However, having said that...my slumdog movie, on Netflix, has LONG WAIT in regards to the status!!!1
post #545 of 1949 Old 04-01-2009, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The one I found (mentioned above) was worthless, basically just a clip show (with the black crush). As also already mentioned, I did try to re-calibrate the set anyway. The results were unsatisfactory.
My DVD player, BD player and TViX all dial in at about the same values (using DVE or DVE HD Basics, as mentioned); the Vudu was way off.
There was no black crush evident on the HD (not HDX) encode of Wall-E, using the same settings as for the other equipment, so I suspect the HDX process. (However, the HD PQ was unimpresssive.) I finally returned it.

Do you or anybody else recall where to get these test patterns? I know that I have also been getting some black crush. All of my other sources are just fine -- OPPO BD-83, Toshiba HD-XA2, Apple TV, Roku Player and a VCR that they are all closely calibrated to the TV. These also share the same HDMI connection to the TV, so I will not be able to adjust the TV for the Vudu. I would just like to find ou how far off I am.
post #546 of 1949 Old 04-02-2009, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding View Post

Which TV are you using? I've had the Vudu black crush on a Sony XBR8 LCD. Today, it's being exchanged for a Mitsubishi LCD. I'll be interested to see if there is any difference in the picture.

KDS-50A3000.

XBR8s are recent. I assume that you are replacing it for other reasons than black crush on Vudu. After all, swapping displays to accommodate a marginal source is the tail wagging the dog (but dumping a display that that could not do BDs justice is quite understandable).
post #547 of 1949 Old 04-02-2009, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

Do you or anybody else recall where to get these test patterns? I know that I have also been getting some black crush. All of my other sources are just fine -- OPPO BD-83, Toshiba HD-XA2, Apple TV, Roku Player and a VCR that they are all closely calibrated to the TV. These also share the same HDMI connection to the TV, so I will not be able to adjust the TV for the Vudu. I would just like to find ou how far off I am.

I'm sorry: I'd don't recall the exact name. I thought it was mentioned here, but perhaps I read of it on the Vudu forum. Search Vudu for a file named something like QWXXY and "buy" it in HDX for $0.00--i.e, it's free. And it's worth every penny. The actual test pattern lasts all of 30 seconds (?). The rest is collection of mostly action clips from Disney flicks (I think); some don't even have audio. Sloppy. Maybe there are other files available.

My setup is similar to yours: all digital sources (Onkyo DV-SP1000, Samsung BD-UP5000, TiVo S3 and TViX M-6500A) funnel into the same HDMI input on the TV. Of course, this wouldn't be feasible if they required different calibration settings. By trying to accommodate the Vudu, I screwed the display up for everything else, and still could not achieve a satisfactory picture.

BTW, is that a Roku HD-1000 PhotoBridge (mine's in the basement) or the Netflix player?
I'd forgotten all about the VCR. It's on S-Video.
post #548 of 1949 Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwack View Post

Well nded, that's where I disagree. If a great, critically acclaimed movie come out like Dark Knight, Slumdog, etc...I want to watch it when it comes out on release day. Why wait a month if you can watch it on DVD! I imagine the majority of users would want to watch it ASAP not 2-3 weeks later. You're rare.

If it is that important to somebody to see a certain movie ASAP, they should have watched it in the theater several months ago. A year from now it won't matter one bit in the scheme of things whether or not you watched Dark Knight 3 weeks before I watched it.

Quote:

However, having said that...my slumdog movie, on Netflix, has LONG WAIT in regards to the status!!!1

That is the great contradiction of Netflix, in order for that business to be economically viable, only a very small percentage of members (typically the newest members) get to see the movie in the first few weeks. Yet the perception of having a slim chance of renting the movie on Day 1 somehow manages to make the Netflix Fanboys defend that physical media model. Already a few studios have stepped up to allowing Vudu to rent on day/date of release. It is only a matter of time before the other studios fall to what the market demands.

post #549 of 1949 Old 04-02-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sorry: I'd don't recall the exact name. I thought it was mentioned here, but perhaps I read of it on the Vudu forum. Search Vudu for a file named something like QWXXY and "buy" it in HDX for $0.00--i.e, it's free. And it's worth every penny. The actual test pattern lasts all of 30 seconds (?). The rest is collection of mostly action clips from Disney flicks (I think); some don't even have audio. Sloppy. Maybe there are other files available.

My setup is similar to yours: all digital sources (Onkyo DV-SP1000, Samsung BD-UP5000, TiVo S3 and TViX M-6500A) funnel into the same HDMI input on the TV. Of course, this wouldn't be feasible if they required different calibration settings. By trying to accommodate the Vudu, I screwed the display up for everything else, and still could not achieve a satisfactory picture.

BTW, is that a Roku HD-1000 PhotoBridge (mine's in the basement) or the Netflix player?
I'd forgotten all about the VCR. It's on S-Video.

I couldn't find any QWXXY searcing on the wen. I'll have to check on the Vudi later. I have the Roku Netflix player connected to the TV, but have an old SoundBridge for streaming music to the garage. Never had an HD-1000.
post #550 of 1949 Old 04-02-2009, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The "free" HDX title on Vudu for screen calibration is QWYZZY. You can pause on the various calibration pattern screens to allow adequate time for fine tuning. After a ton of movie clips in the middle, there is also a surround sound calibration routine towards the end of the title.

I don't know why they chose this title name - the adventurer in me would have chosen xyzzy......

post #551 of 1949 Old 04-02-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:

If it is that important to somebody to see a certain movie ASAP, they should have watched it in the theater several months ago. A year from now it won't matter one bit in the scheme of things whether or not you watched Dark Knight 3 weeks before I watched it.

This is a silly response. Of course EVERYBODY would love to catch a great flick in the cinema. Hello!!! However if they miss it, they would want to watch it when it comes out. Plain and simple.

That Netflix scenario is what caused me to look at other alternatives. The wait & shipping delays are frustrating.
post #552 of 1949 Old 04-03-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The "free" HDX title on Vudu for screen calibration is QWYZZY.

Thanks. I knew it was something of the sort. I no longer have the Vudu to check.

Quote:

You can pause on the various calibration pattern screens to allow adequate time for fine tuning.

I recall seeing only one pattern, which was very crowded.

Quote:

After a ton of movie clips in the middle . . .

My point was that the clips--by far the bulk of the 1-hour file--are worthless for calibration purposes. Downloading this file was a near-total waste of time.

Quote:

. . . there is also a surround sound calibration routine towards the end of the title.

Right--but we were talking specifically about video. No one has mentioned audio problems. (So why not dispense with the clip-junk in the middle of the file?)

The real issue was, though, that the Vudu could not be reconciled with a calibration perfectly suited to all my other sources--done with standard, widely recognized tools--and that calibrating specifically for the Vudu not only did not solve the problem, but also made those other sources unwatchable. Moreover, the problem was evident only on the HDX movies I watched. (And no, I did not A/B those movies in both HD and HDX. Why pay twice?)
post #553 of 1949 Old 04-03-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

had absolutely no luck at all trying to find QWYZZY on either the web site or via the Vudu box.
post #554 of 1949 Old 04-04-2009, 09:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:

This is a silly response. Of course EVERYBODY would love to catch a great flick in the cinema. Hello!!! However if they miss it, they would want to watch it when it comes out. Plain and simple.

That Netflix scenario is what caused me to look at other alternatives. The wait & shipping delays are frustrating.

I know several people who have absolutely no desire to see a movie in the theater. They prefer to see it in the comfort of their own home. Personally I like seeing it in the theater if it's in IMAX or with a DLP projector. After seeing those, the theaters with film projectors just don't cut it anymore and I've been really turned off by them since the difference between the film projector theaters and the IMAX(DLP) and regular DLP theaters is huge..
Anyway, everyone does not have the desire to see a movie in the theater.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #555 of 1949 Old 04-04-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Anyway, everyone does not have the desire to see a movie in the theater.

+1

I prefer my big leather chair to most any theater seat (and my feet won't stick to the floor). I make better popcorn, too.
post #556 of 1949 Old 04-04-2009, 11:25 AM

Don't get me wrong, I too like watching movies in the comfort in my home. Don't have to deal with the talking at theaters, have your own food and BEER, I mean beverage.....

I just thought the guy's response of "if you wanted to see the movie ASAP, I should have seen it at the theater..." was silly.
post #557 of 1949 Old 04-05-2009, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I too like watching movies in the comfort in my home. Don't have to deal with the talking at theaters, have your own food and BEER, I mean beverage.....

I just thought the guy's response of "if you wanted to see the movie ASAP, I should have seen it at the theater..." was silly.

And I think it is silly for somebody to get up in arms if they can't rent a new release on day/date. The fact of the matter is that this is a studio problem, not a problem with Vudu, when you have to wait a few weeks from release date to VOD rentals - let's just agree to disagree on this one.

post #558 of 1949 Old 04-05-2009, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Incidentally, I hate going to movies in the theater. I haven't been in years. The a/v quality at home is better than everything except the nicest theaters, none of which are anywhere near me. Plus, you invariably end up in a theater near some obnoxious person. Showtimes are limited. Seating is suboptimal. Breakdowns and technical errors are commonplace. $9 for that? BD/HDX please and thank you.

bald
post #559 of 1949 Old 04-05-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the Vudu and the Apple TV and I see a pattern (probably driven by the studios) for delayed releases for renting. You might be able to purchase, but not rent. This might be frustrating if you are using the Vudu as your sole source of movies, but this is not a big deal to me as I have other streaming devices that might get earlier rent access. I also have the Netflix 3-at-a-time plan and if it is a movie that I really, really want to watch like Slumdog Millionaire I'll just purchase the Blu-ray on release date. Also, when I pre-order from Amazon I have it at the house when I get home from work on Tuesday evenings.

I have a hard time understanding how Vudu or Apple expect people to purchase for the same price as physical media and get something that is less flexible, and has less features. These download purchases seem like a weak gesture by the studios who really want to preserve the DVD and Blu-ray purchase revenue at release time. When Vudu or Apple only give me a purchase only option I check with the the other download services to see if it is rentable elsewhere. If not I simply wait for the movie to be available for rent from Netflix (which is the least expensive rent option), Vudu or Apple.

The net net is that I end up renting few new releases on the Vudu due to other options that are less expensive or have faster availability. I primarily use the Vudu for watching older classic movies that are not yet on Blu-ray. In those case Vudu provides higher quality than DVD for a good price.
post #560 of 1949 Old 04-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Completely the model I use - Vudu has such a great selection - but I use it for obscure or older movies that I want to see in HD. Also - great back up if someone comes over and I want to do an on demand compulsive purchase. However - netflix seems to be a better value model - especially for blu ray
post #561 of 1949 Old 04-07-2009, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
HI guys,
I saw a few reviews of the Vudo box and i like what I see.
I would be using it mainly for downloading 1080p content for newer movies.

Would the Vudu box give any benefit over the 1080p PS3 store downloads to my 80gb PS3??

Better picture quality?
post #562 of 1949 Old 04-07-2009, 09:29 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

HI guys,

Would the Vudu box give any benefit over the 1080p PS3 store downloads to my 80gb PS3??

Better picture quality?

Audio quality is a big benefit of Vudu over other download services. Picture quality will depend on the source. Each box if capable of excellent audio and video quality, but Vudu is consistently pushing DD+ for HD downloads while the PS3 may be stereo.
post #563 of 1949 Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I would rather watch a movie at home over any theater as we have a 119" diagonal screen, 7.1 surround sound and 2300W worth of LFE shakers in the seating. This does not even count the popcorn and beverage selection.

I put up with waiting for rentals on optical discs ... once you wait 3-4 months you never miss a movie that much in a theater. That said, an additional wait of 1 months is frustrating for a download. A buy only option on release day is an insult. Why would I spend $20 for an SD download when I can buy it at Wal-Mart for $16?

I am afraid the biggest offenders are Sony, Disney and Lionsgate. They seem to want to force you to buy a disc and given the pricing for the SD download, a blu-ray disc. No deal.
post #564 of 1949 Old 04-08-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I was surprised last night when watching BarFly in HDX last last night that the movie just stopped at the 24 hour mark. Is this the case for all Vudu movies? All of the Apple movies allow you to finish any movie that you start before the 24 hour limit. That is a big difference. I have a hard time believing that the studios would have different rules for different download services.
post #565 of 1949 Old 04-08-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was surprised last night when watching BarFly in HDX last last night that the movie just stopped at the 24 hour mark. Is this the case for all Vudu movies? All of the Apple movies allow you to finish any movie that you start before the 24 hour limit. That is a big difference. I have a hard time believing that the studios would have different rules for different download services.

That's pretty literal-minded. Maybe just careless programming? Request a credit or free extension. If necessary, tell them about ATV's policy.
post #566 of 1949 Old 04-08-2009, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's pretty literal-minded. Maybe just careless programming? Request a credit or free extension. If necessary, tell them about ATV's policy.

Not a bad idea. I'll contact Vudu. I did get curious and found this on the Vudu Support web site:

How long do rentals last?

It does seem that Vudu is trying to make an extra dollar or two to extend the movie to the finish. Not exactly customer friendly.

On the other hand, Apple's wording is very similar although I know in practice that you get to finish a movie that you start before the 24 hours is up. Interesting Apple does not have the extra cost extension revenue stream, and that might explain why more liberal.

iTunes Store movie rental usage rights in the United States

I've been on the fence for a while as I am still within the 30 return period. I'll confirm this policy with Vudu, but this together with concerns about Vudu bandwidth usage and impending caps (Vudu thread) makes me lean more towards returning the Vudu. I can always see if thing improve in another 6 months or so.
post #567 of 1949 Old 04-08-2009, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

HI guys,

Better picture quality?

PSN movie downloads are 720P.

"People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be."
--- Abraham Lincoln
post #568 of 1949 Old 04-09-2009, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can always see if thing improve in another 6 months or so.

Yep. That's why I'm still subscribed to this thread.
post #569 of 1949 Old 04-09-2009, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I got confirmation from Vudu support that their policy is to cut-off the movie at the 24 hour point -- even if you are in the middle of a movie. That more or less seals my decision to return the Vudu.
post #570 of 1949 Old 04-09-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Well, I got confirmation from Vudu support that their policy is to cut-off the movie at the 24 hour point -- even if you are in the middle of a movie. That more or less seals my decision to return the Vudu.

That is pretty lame, and needs to change.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page