Master Vudu discussion - place to talk about your Vudu experience - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 1946 Old 11-11-2008, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post

Any unused portion of the VUDU $200 Movie Credit will expire 4 months after Account activation date.

T/C of bestbuy deal... so i use it or lose it?

That's correct. Though you could rent a bunch of movies right at the end and extend your viewing window by 30 days or so.

Patrick
Sr Product Manager, VUDU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1946 Old 11-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Well I just ordered one for pick up at bestbuy; hopeful its as good as its looks.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
post #33 of 1946 Old 11-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by VUDUPatrick View Post

That's correct. Though you could rent a bunch of movies right at the end and extend your viewing window by 30 days or so.

ahh so you have 30 days to view the rental? im presuming its a 24hrs once started type thing?

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
post #34 of 1946 Old 11-11-2008, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any unused portion of the VUDU $200 Movie Credit will expire 4 months after Account activation date.

Yep, so mark your calendar to use up any remaining credit the day before it expires. You could just go crazy and purchase all the Star Trek movies!

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #35 of 1946 Old 11-11-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:

ahh so you have 30 days to view the rental? im presuming its a 24hrs once started type thing?

Yes, you typically have 30 days to view the rental. The exact terms are visible prior to completing the transaction. And yes, depending on studio, you have 24 or 48 hours to complete the viewing.

Patrick
Sr Product Manager, VUDU
post #36 of 1946 Old 11-13-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am not sure how Vudu transfers film to video,but notice that they do not seem to have "native" setting for resolution. Using high performance scalers like a "Lumagen Radiance" more or less requires you to feed it the native resolution of the source so it can deinterlace and scale as needed for the display. It would seem to be most critical with SD material. At a recent Vudu training I believe the rep indicated 480p was the minimum,with options to 1080p.The only way to change the resolution is deep in the menus.
Anyone have any insight into the variables when combining Vudu with a high end processor.?
Thanks
post #37 of 1946 Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddingle View Post

I am not sure how Vudu transfers film to video,but notice that they do not seem to have "native" setting for resolution. Using high performance scalers like a "Lumagen Radiance" more or less requires you to feed it the native resolution of the source so it can deinterlace and scale as needed for the display. It would seem to be most critical with SD material. At a recent Vudu training I believe the rep indicated 480p was the minimum,with options to 1080p.The only way to change the resolution is deep in the menus.
Anyone have any insight into the variables when combining Vudu with a high end processor.?
Thanks

You're correct, there is not currently a native mode. Our SD content is nativley in 480p and the HD content in 1080p. Native mode is one of those things that has been requested by a handful of people (you're just the second I've heard from, personally), but hopefully it will be something we can provide some day. But to be honest, I've done some side-by-sides with VUDU's scaling and using the same content with a high-end external scaler, and our scaling compares very favorably. I've heard from others in the industry in this regard as well. Still, we understand that some of you would like to see such a feature. As with anything, it's a matter of priorities, time and resources.

Patrick
Sr Product Manager, VUDU
post #38 of 1946 Old 11-14-2008, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

You're correct, there is not currently a native mode. Our SD content is nativley in 480p and the HD content in 1080p. Native mode is one of those things that has been requested by a handful of people (you're just the second I've heard from, personally), but hopefully it will be something we can provide some day. But to be honest, I've done some side-by-sides with VUDU's scaling and using the same content with a high-end external scaler, and our scaling compares very favorably. I've heard from others in the industry in this regard as well. Still, we understand that some of you would like to see such a feature. As with anything, it's a matter of priorities, time and resources.

Thanks! The 1080p HDX material looks great!
Just to clarify. Your lowest resolution material is 480p.So you "interlace" 480p material to 480i for use on NTSC only displays?
DVDs are 480i native,that is why we like to use players that can output at that rate. The Lumagen and many others use expense circuits to match the progressive native resolution of the display it is connected to. On larger screens in particular this improves picture quality
post #39 of 1946 Old 11-14-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:

Great Patrick. Its good to know you guys are considering some of the things videophiles care about. I think the way the box continues to improve reminds me of how Directv does with their HDDVR, and thats a very good thing.
post #40 of 1946 Old 11-14-2008, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Vudu is just over 1 year old, and in that time we have seen 7 software updates, taking us from 1.0 to the current 2.0 version released to the public last month (HDX was the highlight of the 2.0 software). I think we have been averaging 6-7 weeks between updates.

post #41 of 1946 Old 11-14-2008, 07:01 AM

I love it. Directv does a great job adding new features thru public testing, and its weekly for new builds. Dish on the other hands is very slow and many times it buggy when the NR hits. I dunno even how cable does. Keep up the good work Vudu.
post #42 of 1946 Old 11-18-2008, 05:32 AM

post #43 of 1946 Old 11-18-2008, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What are the chances that the vudu + will ever allow playback of ripped dvd's from either its hard drive or ethernet connection?

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
post #44 of 1946 Old 11-21-2008, 02:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:

i will definitely use it.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #45 of 1946 Old 11-21-2008, 03:01 PM

Starting next Tuesday, November 25th, VUDU will begin a limited time, Black Friday promotion featuring special pricing on select SD, HD and HDX titles. Yes, there will be some HD and HDX titles made available for purchase during this promotion.

Patrick
Sr Product Manager, VUDU
post #46 of 1946 Old 11-21-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

there goes that $200 credit. and maybe more.

LED DLP

post #47 of 1946 Old 11-21-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:

Starting next Tuesday, November 25th, VUDU will begin a limited time, Black Friday promotion featuring special pricing on select SD, HD and HDX titles. Yes, there will be some HD and HDX titles made available for purchase during this promotion.

Sweet!
post #48 of 1946 Old 11-24-2008, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Posted today by Patrick over at forum.vudu.com:

Quote:

Starting tomorrow, we will have 24: Redemption available for purchase in SD, HD and HDX, all with 5.1. This is the extended edition with 17 minutes of content not shown in the broadcast version. As there is not a Blu-ray release of this, the HDX version will be the highest quality version of this available anywhere.

post #49 of 1946 Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Question for those who have VUDU at home:

Does it look any better or worse than the setup at my local Best Buy?

It isn't the size of the disk that counts, but how you use it.

Panasonic 46pz85u

4K cinema at 60mbps, coming soon to a kiosk near you.
post #50 of 1946 Old 11-25-2008, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30XS955 User View Post

Well, that's darn near impossible to answer, other than to say "yes, everyones home system either looks better OR worse than the setup at your local Best Buy".

How did the setup at BB look, and what BB would that be? If it is not looking good, the Vudu marketing folks will want to track them down. What did you see at BB that motivated you to ask this?

I can say it looks and sounds great on my 110" projection system with 1400 watts and a kickass subwoofer.

post #51 of 1946 Old 11-25-2008, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30XS955 User View Post

If you have any blu-ray experience, I can offer you this.

HDX is almost as sharp, but the shadow details and blacks are lacking a tiny bit (dont get me wrong, its not bad). All this is just due to the encode being slightly less quality compared to a BR disc.

I wonder if you were watching a HD or SD feed on the vudu?
post #52 of 1946 Old 11-25-2008, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Today I found something new and unexpected on my Vudu that is a great reason to own a Vudu - access to an HD title that is still in theaters - Splinter. Splinter is still in theaters, but you can see it right now on Vudu. Winner of Screamfest 2008 Best Picture and Best Director, Splinter is the story of a couple trapped inside a rremote gas station by a parasitic organism that attacks and changes its victims into undead hosts.

I don't personally care for such films, but this is a direction I've been pushing for for some time - having movies available for rent on Vudu at the same time they are available in the theaters. Rental prices are a litlle higher then usual ($7.99 HD/HDX and $6.99 for SD), but it thrills me to see this industry breakthrough. I'd definitely be willing to pay such a premium to see more of this coming down the pipeline, and I think it will happen.

post #53 of 1946 Old 11-26-2008, 05:55 PM

Question: Will I be able to take advantage of HDX movies if my TV does not support 24fps?

I have an older HDTV (3 year old Sharp) that does not accept 1080p/24. Can I still download HDX movies and output them at 1080i? Will it be any better than the non-HDX movies at 1080i? I'm hoping I would still benefit from the greater bit rates. Anyone know?
post #54 of 1946 Old 11-26-2008, 07:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes you can view any HD/HDX title at 1080P24 and lower resolutions.
And yes it will still look bettter than the HD titles.

LED DLP

post #55 of 1946 Old 11-27-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Yes you can view any HD/HDX title at 1080P24 and lower resolutions.
And yes it will still look bettter than the HD titles.

Great! Thanks...on my way this weekend to becoming a VuDu owner then.
post #56 of 1946 Old 12-03-2008, 07:34 AM

If all my internet connections in the home are done through my wireless router is it absolutely necessary for me to purchase the wireless kit from Vudu, or can I use my existing wireless bridge with a switch connected to it and then plug in my vudu to the switch via an Ethernet cord.
post #57 of 1946 Old 12-03-2008, 07:36 AM

Any chance of some sort of rental scheme coming out in the future or the ability to download certain television series or will everything be PPV movies?
post #58 of 1946 Old 12-03-2008, 07:44 AM

On average how much bandwidth is required for a 2 hour movie. Does the VUDU box stream or do you have to wait for the download to complete?
post #59 of 1946 Old 12-03-2008, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Up until recently, I have been very happy with the picture quality of the HD, and especially the HDX titles. The other night I rented a movie called "Brotherhood of Blood" in HD, and it was absolutely the worst picture quality I have ever seen on my screen. This title was worse than VHS, and I highly advise it be avoided. It was un-watchable for me, I FF through to see if the PQ improved, but no luck.

I am a bit puzzled, although I understand it was probably a really horrible source content, you think it would be screened, and downgraded at least to SD. I really feel ripped off especially since the charge was $5.99.

Now I am hesitant to rent, unless I am really sure of a title. Directv, allows a couple minutes preview, before you commit to buy. This allows time to check and make sure that the aspect ratio is proper, and the picture quality is decent. Vudu should offer the same option.

Phil
post #60 of 1946 Old 12-03-2008, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davewolfs View Post

If all my internet connections in the home are done through my wireless router is it absolutely necessary for me to purchase the wireless kit from Vudu, or can I use my existing wireless bridge with a switch connected to it and then plug in my vudu to the switch via an Ethernet cord.

That should work with no problems. I have mine hardwired, but for the hell of it one day I connected my Xbox wireless adapter to my vudu and it worked.

"People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be."
--- Abraham Lincoln
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page