Master Vudu discussion - place to talk about your Vudu experience - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #631 of 1941 Old 05-04-2009, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Charles,

They don't "pre" download any movies to your VUDU but it does get updated with new previews, movie "heads", and other catalog items. The amount of the update is different week to week depending on what new items are being added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Does anyone know if they download movies you don't rent or purchase onto your VUDU so they can be sent P2P to other users? I see more download traffic then I would expect and my box has been up and running for a couple of weeks so it shouldn't be the initial start-up activity. I know that it's continuously downloading new stuff but I just checked and I'm seeing as much or more traffic than the first few days.

VUDU Evangelist
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/VUDUEvangelist
VUDU Blog: http://blog.vudu.com/

Go do that VUDU that you do so well! - Headley Lemarr, Blazing Saddles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1941 Old 05-04-2009, 07:00 PM

Disabling the screen saver for the Pandora session has been requested quite a bit to VUDU. Also I hope in the future they enable the Pandora Video series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

I just discovered Pandora Internet Radio on Vudu: great resource and the Vudu interface makes it even better

but: there is no way to defeat the screen saver: I contacted tech support and they said they have had several inquiries about this: perhaps we could convince Vudu to make this a menu option

VUDU Evangelist

post #633 of 1941 Old 05-04-2009, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonV View Post

Charles,

They don't "pre" download any movies to your VUDU but it does get updated with new previews, movie "heads", and other catalog items. The amount of the update is different week to week depending on what new items are being added.

I understand it's always downloading data and for a good reason. It just seems on the surface a little overboard from what I can tell. Admittedly I'm not starting with a lot of bandwidth to begin with.

The attached chart basically shows activity since I have connected the VUDU. First the initial data flow, a movie rental, then it seemed happy for a few days. However for the last week outside of another movie rental it's pretty much solid at 500Kbps or more.

I have verified it's VUDU as you can see it dropped to nothing late Saturday the moment I unplugged VUDU (at the time I viewed the three minute interval version of the report). You can also see where it drops to nothing two Sundays ago when I viewed a movie in the theater (I didn't bother to plug it into the network).

So I'm left with just what the heck is it downloading all of the time... Perhaps because of my limited bandwidth it's still working on the initial download (for two weeks)?
LL
post #634 of 1941 Old 05-05-2009, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It is a well-known fact (or maybe not so much) that Vudu is based on peer-to-peer:

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/daves-do...bandwidth.html

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #635 of 1941 Old 05-05-2009, 06:32 AM

Charles,

After the initial setup the VUDU will update the catalog to the current version minus the previews, movie graphics, and other miscellaneous items. On a 2 to 4 mbps downstream connection this usually finishes in few days. Since this update is considered a "low" priority for the VUDU box, as you search and use the box it will suspend the update until the VUDU is idle again.

I would like to know who long this will go on for you also. Keep the status updates coming.

Quote:

I understand it's always downloading data and for a good reason. It just seems on the surface a little overboard from what I can tell. Admittedly I'm not starting with a lot of bandwidth to begin with.)?

VUDU Evangelist

post #636 of 1941 Old 05-05-2009, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post

It is a well-known fact (or maybe not so much) that Vudu is based on peer-to-peer:

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/daves-do...bandwidth.html

But we are discussing downloading not uploading... I understand I'm sharing my currrent rental, expired ones not yet deleted and previews or whatnot I may have already downloaded with the world. Uploading is capped at 300Kbps which I am rarely seeing.

By the way it's still at 600Kbps and going strong this morning.
post #637 of 1941 Old 05-05-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:

There's one less set-top box needed today, thanks to a new partnership between movie on-demand service Vudu and IPTV company Entone.

Starting this summer telecommunications companies employing Entone's IPTV technology (more than 50 worldwide) will be able to offer Vudu's library of more than 14,000 movies and TV titles to their customers, without a need for the Vudu box.

Steve McKay, CEO of Entone, said the two companies began working on the concept at the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

The thinking around that time was that everyone was pitting the over-the-top guys (video delivered outside of cable and satellite) against the operators, he said. Consumers had to choose between pay TV services and over-the-top Internet video services where the latter was something you did when you were not watching TV.

This is the first time those two competing visions will come together in one service.

By marrying the two concepts, your online movie library is now available as part of your core TV viewing experience from the same user interface and remote control, McKay said.

Using existing in-home cabling, Entone's IPTV set-top boxes enable viewing on all TVs in a household.

Quote:

Entone's approach of embracing rather than defending against online video services is a win-win-win for operators, content providers and consumers, he said.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/ele...y-entone-15597
post #638 of 1941 Old 05-05-2009, 11:24 AM

With all the bandwidth caps being imposed these days I can't see how a peer to peer model is going to work in the long run?? My Comcast is a relatively high 250 gigs but I have read that other providers are much less.
post #639 of 1941 Old 05-05-2009, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But we are discussing downloading not uploading... I understand I'm sharing my currrent rental, expired ones not yet deleted and previews or whatnot I may have already downloaded with the world. Uploading is capped at 300Kbps which I am rarely seeing.

By the way it's still at 600Kbps and going strong this morning.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your graph. What is "inbound" and what is "outbound" on it? According to your image, inbound is only 35 kbps, while outbound is 520 kbps.

Maybe Vudu has decided that you have something interesting to share with the rest of the world?
post #640 of 1941 Old 05-06-2009, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardax View Post

With all the bandwidth caps being imposed these days I can't see how a peer to peer model is going to work in the long run?? My Comcast is a relatively high 250 gigs but I have read that other providers are much less.

That's funny, "these days" all i keep hearing about is companies back peddling on caps, congressmen making it clear that caps aren't welcome, and at the same time other companies rolling out faster speed services without caps (See DOCSIS at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1144301). The last one is especially telling, why would you roll-out a super high speed interstate and then tell people that they can only drive on it 1 day a week? Can you please list a recent company that has announced implementing caps? Seems to me that the trend is towards dropping caps and making much more bandwidth available everywhere.

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #641 of 1941 Old 05-06-2009, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your graph. What is "inbound" and what is "outbound" on it? According to your image, inbound is only 35 kbps, while outbound is 520 kbps.

The graph is based on my provider's equipment so it's reversed for me. The blue line is incoming traffic and the green outgoing. It's been at 500Kbps or so since then and I just pulled the plug to verify it's VUDU and will post an updated image.
post #642 of 1941 Old 05-06-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I have updated this post to make it a little easier to see what's going on. The graph reflects the activity since installing VUDU. Blue is downloading (what I'm receiving) and green uploading (what I'm sending).

90% plus of the download activity is by VUDU. This has been verified by unplugging VUDU, watching the activity drop accordingly and monitoring the VUDU activity page.

The two 1000Kbps spikes are two movie rentals which VUDU capped just as they say they would. Also uploading has been capped at 300Kbps again just like they state.

I understand the initial few days it needs to "fill up" the box but for some reason the second week used much more bandwidth than the first. For almost a week and a half it has been averaging over 500Kbps none stop.

Their FAQs state they will continually upload the beginning of movies along with other "new stuff" required to stay up-to-date. I guess my question is are other users averaging the same activity, is it from my box still being new and not fully populated or some thing else going on?

post #643 of 1941 Old 05-06-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nded View Post

That's funny, "these days" all i keep hearing about is companies back peddling on caps, congressmen making it clear that caps aren't welcome, and at the same time other companies rolling out faster speed services without caps (See DOCSIS at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1144301). The last one is especially telling, why would you roll-out a super high speed interstate and then tell people that they can only drive on it 1 day a week? Can you please list a recent company that has announced implementing caps? Seems to me that the trend is towards dropping caps and making much more bandwidth available everywhere.

The trend is away from caps. There are a few markets where a company has a broadband monopoly where they may try and squeeze extra cash from their customers, but no ISP in their right mind will do that when they have true competition.

Factor in the political pressure that comes up when trying to abuse the monopoly and it is clear to see that caps are a dead end for ISPs.
post #644 of 1941 Old 05-06-2009, 02:36 PM

a lot of familiar names from their forums, but I haven't been in a while, so I'll just throw this in here...

Lately, my box has been going through an odd pattern of buzzing sounds. It hums, then gets progressively louder over about a 3-4-second span, then winds back down, then up, then down again. It's just doing this non-stop. I've had the unit since Sep. '08 and never had a single problem (other than a weird pink screen I posted on the vudu forums a while back), and it only started a week ago. Has anybody else had this happen or know of this issue?
post #645 of 1941 Old 05-06-2009, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnml View Post

a lot of familiar names from their forums, but I haven't been in a while, so I'll just throw this in here...

Lately, my box has been going through an odd pattern of buzzing sounds. It hums, then gets progressively louder over about a 3-4-second span, then winds back down, then up, then down again. It's just doing this non-stop. I've had the unit since Sep. '08 and never had a single problem (other than a weird pink screen I posted on the vudu forums a while back), and it only started a week ago. Has anybody else had this happen or know of this issue?

That sounds like the HDD going bad. I'd contact Vudu customer support and get it diagnosed/repaired while you're still under warranty.

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #646 of 1941 Old 05-06-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For almost a week and a half it has been averaging over 500Kbps none stop.

Yeah, that's an absurd amount of data being pushed to your box.

I wonder if multiple Vudus in a household will cooperate to share all this activity? Isn't that what P2P implies? Because if they don't do that, then 2 Vudus in a house will max out the download limits for a Comcast account! Ridiculous.
post #647 of 1941 Old 05-06-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

Yeah, that's an absurd amount of data being pushed to your box.

VUDU's support pronounced it as normal... at least for the first month or so. In essence its database is being brought up-to-date (perhaps my box had been sitting around for a long time).

I just ordered two more rentals so for a while I won't be able to see if it slows down. Like they said I'm guessing for a month or so it wouldn't. I really don't mind all of the activity but it just seems overkill for the way I'd use the service.

Which brings me to my real issue. The delay in new releases being made available. Up to now I typically rent four or so Blu-ray movies a month to view in the theater and the occasional rental for the den. Being a new releases guy I figured I could use VUDU for these rentals but it appears I can find them in my local rental store before they show up on VUDU thirty days later (if at all).

That's why I originally purchased it. Everyone was out of the latest Bond thriller (in Blu-ray) so I thought what they heck I can live through the extended download times. But I'm not so sure I can wait the month before they begin.

Anyway I have three movies to watch and afterwards I'll decide whether to keep going or return the unit. I will say I love the hardware including the remote along with the interface. I much prefer it over Apple TV which I tried for a few months. It's just one of those devices you enjoy using. Similar experience to TiVo and Sonos. I'm just not sure it fits my viewing habits all that well. Don't worry VUDU it's me not you.
post #648 of 1941 Old 05-06-2009, 05:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 594
There have been some HD movies available recently day and with the disc release, but that is not the norm. The content providers typically have up to a 30 day window before the titles are available to rent.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #649 of 1941 Old 05-06-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nded View Post

That sounds like the HDD going bad. I'd contact Vudu customer support and get it diagnosed/repaired while you're still under warranty.

That's what I figured. Didn't know if anybody else had run into this, though.
post #650 of 1941 Old 05-06-2009, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnml View Post

Lately, my box has been going through an odd pattern of buzzing sounds. It hums, then gets progressively louder over about a 3-4-second span, then winds back down, then up, then down again. It's just doing this non-stop.

There is a chance it's the fan. I haven't noticed how these units power up and down but sometimes you can tell if it's the fan during one of those cycles.
post #651 of 1941 Old 05-07-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking at Vudu for the first time now, whats the difference between the HD and the HDX movies?
post #652 of 1941 Old 05-07-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT View Post

Looking at Vudu for the first time now, whats the difference between the HD and the HDX movies?

Based on a small sample size I would say that HD is about 1/3 way between DVD and Blu-ray whereas HDX is about 2/3 the way to Blu-ray. Of course, this is subjective. I think the prices are always the same. One big difference is that with a 4 Mbps or better pipre you can stream HD whereas HDX requires about a 4-5 hour wait to watch after ordering.
post #653 of 1941 Old 05-07-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:

HD is streaming, HDX is downloads. HDX offers a higher quality.
post #654 of 1941 Old 05-07-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

By higher quality do you mean the HDX has a higher resolution?

Also is this like a DVR where the movies can be kept as long as they are stored on a disc or is it like my cable On-Demand service where I have a specified amount of time (24-48 hours) to watch the movie and then its gone?

From what my wife said with the HDX I could start the downloading from a separate location such as at work to be ready to watch for that night when I get home, is that true? (sorry I havent found anything saying this or not)
post #655 of 1941 Old 05-07-2009, 02:26 PM

HDX has higher quality due the compression profile and provides higher bitrates. SD on the VUDU averages 2 mbps, HD averages 4 mbps, from what I understand that HDX is variable the range depends on the complexity of the video content. The resolution of 1080p/24 is 1920×1080 and both HD and HDX are encoded to this.

Rentals can be held on the HD for 30 days but once you start watching you have 24-48 hours depending on the title.

Your wife is correct, with your VUDU hooked up you can go to the VUDU web site or use an iPhone to rent HDX movies and start the download process before you get home.

Quote:

By higher quality do you mean the HDX has a higher resolution?

Also is this like a DVR where the movies can be kept as long as they are stored on a disc or is it like my cable On-Demand service where I have a specified amount of time (24-48 hours) to watch the movie and then its gone?

From what my wife said with the HDX I could start the downloading from a separate location such as at work to be ready to watch for that night when I get home, is that true? (sorry I havent found anything saying this or not)

VUDU Evangelist

post #656 of 1941 Old 05-07-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for answering my questions. Im gonna read the entire thread before asking any more (hopefully)
post #657 of 1941 Old 05-08-2009, 06:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 594
The HDX titles average 10mbs with 20mbs peaks using MPEG4.
And the HDX audio is better than DVD quality with a 640kbs bitrate for the Dolby Digital audio.

The HDX titles are noticeably better than the HD titles. Which is why I rarely watch the HD titles anymore.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #658 of 1941 Old 05-08-2009, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Is Vudu studio limited to certain studios?
post #659 of 1941 Old 05-08-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Is Vudu studio limited to certain studios?

I think you are asking what studio's that supply content to VUDU. As of right now VUDU has agreements with all the major's and lots of independent. They used to have a section on their web site of the studio's but its not there anymore. Here is what I found on my VUDU:
  • 20th Century
  • LionsGate
  • MGM
  • paramount
  • Sony
  • Universal
  • Walt Disney
  • Warner Brothers
  • Independent-Catchall for all other studio's

You can also filter by studio in the UI on the VUDU. I hope this answers your question.

VUDU Evangelist

post #660 of 1941 Old 05-09-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

vudu is great!!!
i've been watching since before they started. yet i still don't have a box.

my cable tv and my car available to me in the usa makes vudu too expensive for regular use in home theater.

i'll wait for vudu to go public or get bought out by a bigger fish who can afford to compete for my dollars by dropping the new release hd movie prices. then i will buy the stock and secondly buy a vudu box.

or maybe i can't resist much longer ... damn i want a vudu ...
actually, if they sign up hulu it would be worth the cost of frequent use.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page