Master Vudu discussion - place to talk about your Vudu experience - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 1953 Old 12-04-2008, 05:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post

Up until recently, I have been very happy with the picture quality of the HD, and especially the HDX titles. The other night I rented a movie called "Brotherhood of Blood" in HD, and it was absolutely the worst picture quality I have ever seen on my screen. This title was worse than VHS, and I highly advise it be avoided. It was un-watchable for me, I FF through to see if the PQ improved, but no luck.

I am a bit puzzled, although I understand it was probably a really horrible source content, you think it would be screened, and downgraded at least to SD. I really feel ripped off especially since the charge was $5.99.

Now I am hesitant to rent, unless I am really sure of a title. Directv, allows a couple minutes preview, before you commit to buy. This allows time to check and make sure that the aspect ratio is proper, and the picture quality is decent. Vudu should offer the same option.

I like to watch foreign and older movies (1930s, 40s, 50s) on Vudu as well as their more recent movies. Sometimes the initial transfer or transcoding of these movies by the studios is not always up to par. I have called Vudu support twice about poorly rendered movies that have been inadequate to watch (once about poor subtitles). I have received credit back on those two. By-the-way that is two out of a hundred or more of the movies I have watched on Vudu.

Lazy Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1953 Old 12-04-2008, 06:18 AM

Can anyone explain how 99 for 99 works? Are all of the movies on this list available to rent for $.99 in HDX?
post #63 of 1953 Old 12-04-2008, 02:05 PM

99 for 99 is only SD. As far as I know you can't get any HD movies for $.99.
post #64 of 1953 Old 12-04-2008, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyTom View Post

I like to watch foreign and older movies (1930s, 40s, 50s) on Vudu as well as their more recent movies. Sometimes the initial transfer or transcoding of these movies by the studios is not always up to par. I have called Vudu support twice about poorly rendered movies that have been inadequate to watch (once about poor subtitles). I have received credit back on those two. By-the-way that is two out of a hundred or more of the movies I have watched on Vudu.

OK, I am giving that a try. I will let you know how it goes.

Phil
post #65 of 1953 Old 12-04-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Wow! Just like that they credited me for the movie. Great customer service!!!

Phil
post #66 of 1953 Old 12-04-2008, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewolfs View Post

On average how much bandwidth is required for a 2 hour movie. Does the VUDU box stream or do you have to wait for the download to complete?

The Vudu streams instantly - if you have adequate internet bandwidth.

Standard Definition movies require 2MB internet service
High Definition movies require 4MB internet service

If your internet service is not fast enough, the Vudu will let you know how many minutes you have to wait before you can start watching the show. I have 10MB internet service, so I have instant viewing of SD and HD titles.

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #67 of 1953 Old 12-04-2008, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can anyone explain how 99 for 99 works? Are all of the movies on this list available to rent for $.99 in HDX?

Yeah, that list is all SD titles. The lowest price I have seen on HDX rentals is $3.99.

post #68 of 1953 Old 12-04-2008, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any chance of some sort of rental scheme coming out in the future or the ability to download certain television series or will everything be PPV movies?

There are currently 51 TV series available on the Vudu. I hope this expands soon. 24 and Prison Break stand out, along with some oldies (Lost in Space).

post #69 of 1953 Old 12-08-2008, 11:30 AM

FWIW, we've got an official VUDU Blog now at blog.vudu.com and a Facebook fan page for those of you that may care. These are good places to keep an eye out for upcoming VUDU happenings.

Patrick
Sr Product Manager, VUDU
post #70 of 1953 Old 12-09-2008, 05:34 AM

After working on my new HT room for over 6 months, my husband decided to surprise me with the new Blockbuster 2Wire rental unit. Now to put things in perspective, I'm the electronics geek, he is not. I didn't look much under the sheets about this unit because after all it was a gift, and I was being gracious. I installed the unit and to my shock first off, downloads only come in 480i, there is absolutely no 5.1, it's only 2 channel, and to date they have only 4 HD movie offerings! To make matters worse, obviously it looked lousy on my 50" Pio Kuro. I must say the company executive was polite listening to my ranting and ravings and kindly returned the unit. I am now assigned the task of replacing this unit with something that will pass my muster. Let's face it, this is either Vudu or Apple TV. Everything in my guts is pulling me the way of Vudu, but obviously, I'm a bit nervous about the company's survival. On the other hand, the Apple TV product is inferior to Vudu. Granted Apple has financial strength, but they have hardly spent $ developing the unit and they could easily abandon it. Vudu users, I need your feedback. How is the picture quality? Are download times super long? How is the audio quality? I thank you all ahead of time for any insight you can give me. Thanks, DJ
post #71 of 1953 Old 12-09-2008, 06:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by debussyj View Post

After working on my new HT room for over 6 months, my husband decided to surprise me with the new Blockbuster 2Wire rental unit. Now to put things in perspective, I'm the electronics geek, he is not. I didn't look much under the sheets about this unit because after all it was a gift, and I was being gracious. I installed the unit and to my shock first off, downloads only come in 480i, there is absolutely no 5.1, it's only 2 channel, and to date they have only 4 HD movie offerings! To make matters worse, obviously it looked lousy on my 50" Pio Kuro. I must say the company executive was polite listening to my ranting and ravings and kindly returned the unit. I am now assigned the task of replacing this unit with something that will pass my muster. Let's face it, this is either Vudu or Apple TV. Everything in my guts is pulling me the way of Vudu, but obviously, I'm a bit nervous about the company's survival. On the other hand, the Apple TV product is inferior to Vudu. Granted Apple has financial strength, but they have hardly spent $ developing the unit and they could easily abandon it. Vudu users, I need your feedback. How is the picture quality? Are download times super long? How is the audio quality? I thank you all ahead of time for any insight you can give me. Thanks, DJ

VUDU has three levels of quality. All content is MPEG4.
SD is the lowest quality which for SD does look very good. You need a 2mbs connection to watch instantly, anything slower gives you delayed viewing.
HD is the next quality. You need a 4mbs connection for instant viewing, anything slower has delayed viewing.

HDX is the top tier product. It runs at an average of 10mbs MPEG4 with 20mbs peaks. The audio is 640kbs DD.
With this there currently is no instant viewing since the VUDU boxes currently download at 4mbs max. Hopefully that will change in the future. Since the VUDU software is constantly changing for the better. They have made many changes in the last year that have improved the VUDU experience immensely.

The HDX quality is excellent. The only thing better I have seen is from BD or HD DVD. And currently the HDX price is the same as the HD price. IF it's something I want to watch right away I'll pick HD, but if I have the time I'll do the HDX. And I'll even occasionally watch SD titles. I'll watch a VUDU SD title before I watch a DVD.

Now with the HDX titles it seems that you are able to watch the title in 3.5 to 4.5 hours depending on the length of the movie.
For example I rented Street Kings in HDX on Sunday. the move is 1 hour 50 minutes long and it gave an estimate of 3 hours 42 minutes for download.

One of the new things VUDU has implemented is online ordering, which works well for me with the HDX titles. I can choose the title at work during the day and it's ready for me to watch that night. Or I can just use my PC instead of having to turn on my components in my main viewing area just to pick a title.

The VUDU software has been constantly evolving and for the better. I have been pleased with my three VUDU purchases.
And with the current promotion from purchasing the VUDU box from BEST Buy it is definitely worth it.
You get $200 in movie credits to use within four months.

VUDU must know what boxes are at BEST Buy. All I did was activate my box with the proper info and a screen popped up thanking me for my purchase of VUDU from BestBuy and my credits were automatically applied.
An excellent deal.

You won't be disappointed with the VUDU box. Plus you have a trial period anyway. If you aren't satisfied you can return it for a full refund. Although you would be charged for any titles you watched from your $200 promotion, but that should be expected. Anyway it's a win win situation.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #72 of 1953 Old 12-09-2008, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debussyj View Post

.....snip.... I'm a bit nervous about the company's survival. On the other hand, the Apple TV product is inferior to Vudu. Granted Apple has financial strength, but they have hardly spent $ developing the unit and they could easily abandon it. Vudu users, I need your feedback.

I don't think anybody from Vudu will directly address financial strength, but that doesn't stop us outsiders from learning something. David Pogue recently wrote in the NY Times "Vudu asserts that it's doing fine it just got $46 million in venture capital and will arrive in Best Buy this week. And in the complex matrix of desirable features broad movie selection, prompt movie availability, reasonable pricing, high quality, instant playback and so on the Vudu box scores very highly indeed." - full article at http://www.benchmark.com/news/sv/2008/10_01_2008.php

This is on top of the original $25M investment to get the company started. I'm convinced that the folks backing Vudu are in this for the long haul, and are poised to come out on top of the Digital Download market evolution.

Quote:

How is the picture quality?

I just verified that your 50" Pio Kuro has HDMI inputs, so you will be able to take advantage of the HDMI output of the Vudu - the PQ will be sweet on your baby.

Quote:

Are download times super long?

If you have 4MB internet service, there is no waiting to watch SD or HD quality. HDX quality (the closest to Blu-Ray and the undisputed leader in the Digital Download battleground) does have to be downloaded before watching, so it will take 3-4 hours to download a typical movie (assuming you have at last 4MB internet service).

Quote:

How is the audio quality?

Vudu supports 5.1 audio and sounds great. The 5.1 format is sent over HDMI and also via Optical (that's how I have my Vudu connected to my sound system). While not all movies have surround sound track (hey Casa Blanca in HD looks great, but they didn't have the gear to record 5.1 in those days), when the studios provide Vudu with a surround sound movie, you will get to enjoy it.
Quote:

I thank you all ahead of time for any insight you can give me. Thanks, DJ

Take Aaronwt's advise and get one at Best Buy now to take advantage of the $200 rental/purchase credit. Vudu has a 30 day, no questions asked, return policy. If you aren't satisfied, you can take it back to Best Buy, and you'll only be out the value of the rentals you used. I doubt you'll be doing this, instead I imagine we'll be seeing you soon as a new member of forum.vudu.com! Like him, I also have 3 Vudu's (I know one Vudu owner who now has 5 boxes), and I'm very happy with my Vudu experience.

post #73 of 1953 Old 12-09-2008, 07:33 AM

Hey guys. Thanks for the prompt and detailed support. I have a 10 meg server and I did the Vudu speed test and it indicated I will have immediate download with HD! I plan to install via Ethernet. Think it's the only way to fly. Guess I will become a member of your group very shortly! DJ
post #74 of 1953 Old 12-09-2008, 09:28 PM

Glad to hear. If you have any further questions, I'm glad to help where I can.

Patrick
Sr Product Manager, VUDU

Patrick
Sr Product Manager, VUDU
post #75 of 1953 Old 12-11-2008, 11:57 AM

Hey

I just bought a Vudu. MY question is does the $200 credit apply to purchases or is it only for rentals?
post #76 of 1953 Old 12-11-2008, 01:00 PM

It applies to purchases also.
post #77 of 1953 Old 12-11-2008, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. I want to buy "The Dark Night" so i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference in quality of the movie when purchasing the movie in Vudu Vs Apple TV? I am assuming both are in SD.
post #78 of 1953 Old 12-11-2008, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpkdiya View Post

Thanks for the confirmation. I want to buy "The Dark Night" so i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference in quality of the movie when purchasing the movie in Vudu Vs Apple TV? I am assuming both are in SD.

Yes they are both SD and as an owner of both the Vudu encode is definitely better than the Apple encode. My Apple TV has been banished to the bedroom and is used for TV shows (until Vudu gets more) and for playing digital copies of movies that come with certain BD. I have rented more from Vudu in the last year than form blockbuster in the last 3 years.

"People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be."
--- Abraham Lincoln
post #79 of 1953 Old 12-11-2008, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you already "own" some other Batman movies (or similar titles)? If so, how many times do/have you watch them? I ask this because you might be better off waiting for December 26 to rent the HDX version. You'd have to want to watch that movie 4 times before purchasing the SD version makes financial sense - I can only think of a small handful of movies I've been willing to watch 4+ times (life's too short, and there are over 12,000 titles on the Vudu calling my name).

post #80 of 1953 Old 12-12-2008, 06:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hey

I just bought a Vudu. MY question is does the $200 credit apply to purchases or is it only for rentals?

Enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #81 of 1953 Old 12-12-2008, 06:43 PM

I own Batman Begins in HD DVD and i have watched a few times. It would have been sweet if we could own HDX movies. Just curious, Is there a specific reason why HDX movies can't be owned?
post #82 of 1953 Old 12-12-2008, 07:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

I own a few HDX titles from a special promotion they had around Thanksgiving.
The titles are
The Chronicles of Riddick, Pitch Black , and Unleashed.

post #83 of 1953 Old 12-12-2008, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone have a VUDU VBX1000 XL 2. Are they shipping? Issues ?
post #84 of 1953 Old 12-12-2008, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nded View Post

I don't think anybody from Vudu will directly address financial strength, but that doesn't stop us outsiders from learning something. David Pogue recently wrote in the NY Times "Vudu asserts that it's doing fine it just got $46 million in venture capital and will arrive in Best Buy this week. And in the complex matrix of desirable features broad movie selection, prompt movie availability, reasonable pricing, high quality, instant playback and so on the Vudu box scores very highly indeed." - full article at [url]http://www.benchmark.com/news/sv/2008/10_01_2008.php[/url

Well, I don't think they are out of the woods. They have had layoffs in the middle of summer. That might mean the technology is worked out???? If they get a real installed base this holiday, I doubt they will be independent for long. I suspect that was the plan all along.

I will admit, being an early adopter these days seems to carry a little more risk than it did a couple years ago. But then again, don't all investments!

I wonder what their installed base is for break even or even what their installed base is overall. I think the primary risk they have is netflix rolling out a HD box with HDMI and a HDD. Who knows, maybe Netflix will buy them, that would be nice.
post #85 of 1953 Old 12-13-2008, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetis View Post

Anyone have a VUDU VBX1000 XL 2. Are they shipping? Issues ?

The XL2 is simply an XL1 in a different case (rackmount form factor). I have an XL1 and there are no issues with it. XL's are only available from custom HT installers.

post #86 of 1953 Old 12-13-2008, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I own Batman Begins in HD DVD and i have watched a few times. It would have been sweet if we could own HDX movies. Just curious, Is there a specific reason why HDX movies can't be owned?

I would expect the HD/HDX purchase flood gates to be opened shortly after they give us external storage support.

post #87 of 1953 Old 12-13-2008, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetis View Post

Well, I don't think they are out of the woods. They have had layoffs in the middle of summer. That might mean the technology is worked out???? If they get a real installed base this holiday, I doubt they will be independent for long. I suspect that was the plan all along.

Layoffs/reorgs in Sillycon Valley are standard operating procedure. From the outside it looked like they decided to refocus R&D and needed different skill sets.
Quote:

I will admit, being an early adopter these days seems to carry a little more risk than it did a couple years ago. But then again, don't all investments!

I wonder what their installed base is for break even or even what their installed base is overall. I think the primary risk they have is netflix rolling out a HD box with HDMI and a HDD. Who knows, maybe Netflix will buy them, that would be nice.

Being bought out for thier IP (and an established install base/infrastructure) is one of the future scenarios I've seen for Vudu - that would be a motivating factor for the VC dollars to have been invested. I just hope it isn't Sony!

post #88 of 1953 Old 12-13-2008, 05:47 AM

Hi all. Well, I purchased my Vudu from Best Buy of course yesterday. Setup was a breeze, but I had a few questions and the folks at customer service called me back promptly! Thank you customer service! Watched our first movie in HD last night and all I can say is SWEET! Nice resolution, good color balance, no pixelation, and best of all in 5.1! I'm very impressed and happy. The only think that bums me out is when I tell folks I have Vudu, they say "what's that"? Even the kid at the customer service dept in Best Buy did not know what he was selling me. So now I tell everybody that Vudu is the "Bee's Knees" of the downloadable movie rental industry!
post #89 of 1953 Old 12-13-2008, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I keep hoping to see a major Hollywood title promotion that says "Now available on DVD, Blu-Ray, and Vudu".

post #90 of 1953 Old 12-13-2008, 08:09 AM

Is the best buy deal still going on? I was on their website and could not find it.

Never mind, just found it.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page