Master Vudu discussion - place to talk about your Vudu experience - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 1953 Old 12-13-2008, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nded View Post

Layoffs/reorgs in Sillycon Valley are standard operating procedure. From the outside it looked like they decided to refocus R&D and needed different skill sets.

Layoffs are one thing, booting the CFO and CEO within the course of three months is definitely not standard operating procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1953 Old 12-13-2008, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

The XL2 is simply an XL1 in a different case (rackmount form factor). I have an XL1 and there are no issues with it. XL's are only available from custom HT installers.

Huh, really! That's annoying. The rack is certainly better for me. Would love to hear from someone with one and if they are shipping.
post #93 of 1953 Old 12-14-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There are now 1,307 HD/HDX titles available on Vudu - that's over 10% of the total catalog of 12,495 titles.

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #94 of 1953 Old 12-14-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetis View Post

Huh, really! That's annoying. The rack is certainly better for me. Would love to hear from someone with one and if they are shipping.

We're currently backordered on the XL2 and should start shipping again in the first week or so of January.

Patrick
Sr Product Manager, VUDU
post #95 of 1953 Old 12-15-2008, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
When is the online software going to get access to my wish list? Right now it is extremely cumbersome to find and rent movies online. I have resorted to rating movies I want to see, so that I can find them more easily, but we really should have access to the same wish list that is on the device, when we are logged in.

Phil
post #96 of 1953 Old 12-15-2008, 09:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 732
It would need to do it for each device. I have three VUDUs on my account with different wish lists on each one.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #97 of 1953 Old 12-16-2008, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

From endgadet at http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/12/16...ernet-content/

Quote:

The VUDU fans who felt teased by the leak a few weeks ago can feel a little better today. Not only is VUDU offically announcing access to the previously discovered features, but in addition VUDU owners will have access to other on demand HD content from networks you've actually heard of like National Geographic and PBS -- other SD content will also be available, but really who cares about SD? What might end up being the most interesting in the long run though, is the fact that VUDU has brought this to market using its new VUDU RIA (Rich Internet Application) platform, which in the future will allow third parities to bring even more internet content to your living room. We'll have to hold our tongue on this idea until sometimes next year though, to see if anyone actually adopts it. These features are great and all, but how 'bout giving us access to our own content VUDU? Yeah we know, you're partners wouldn't like that very much, would they? The full release is after the jump.

VUDU Brings the Web to TV with Breakthrough Internet Application Platform

Company Launches More than 120 Channels of Web Based Content and Applications, Announces Rich Internet Application Platform Open to All Developers in 2009

Santa Clara, CA - Dec. 16, 2008 - VUDU today took a major step forward in bringing the Web into the living room by launching the VUDU RIA (Rich Internet Application) platform, a standards-based platform that brings Web-hosted rich applications and services to consumer appliances such as the popular VUDU Internet movie player. VUDU RIA combines the openness and ease of development of Web applications, lightweight hardware requirements compatible with today's consumer Internet appliances, and a lean-back user experience optimized for television.

To demonstrate the power and flexibility of VUDU RIA, VUDU has created an initial set of applications and services in a new area of the VUDU home page, called VUDU Labs. Available today to all VUDU owners, these applications include casual games, implementations of Flickr, Picasa and the entire YouTube library, as well as a new "On Demand TV" area with more than 120 channels.

Today, VUDU customers can access a broad selection of free on-demand shows provided by major network television and on-line specialty sites spanning news, food, music, sports, and more. Programs include daily highlights from shows such as "Today", "The Rachel Maddow Show", "Anderson Cooper 360", "Fantasy Focus NFL", "MTV News", as well as full programs, some in HD, from Nova, National Geographic, PBS and others. VUDU plans to add more applications and services throughout 2009.

"VUDU RIA enables us to quickly open up huge libraries of web based content to TVs in living rooms around America," said Edward Lichty, Executive Vice President of Strategy and Content. "We are excited to deliver both high quality TV shows as well as Web applications which enable our customers to share their photos and watch the tens of millions of YouTube videos on their HDTV's."

VUDU RIA Brings Web Application Development to CE devices

VUDU RIA allows developers to take advantage of the most advanced RIA techniques such as asynchronous Web queries, local scripting, and persistent client-side storage, along with unique TV-centered technologies such as VUDU's acclaimed user interface, one-wheel remote control navigation, and VUDU's TruFilm-powered video rendering for maximum visual quality.

VUDU RIA enables the development of responsive, rich applications optimized for display and use on high definition televisions that bring the wealth of data and content of the Internet to the living room without needing to deploy new software on the consumer appliance, a first in the consumer electronics world.

VUDU RIA is targeted at today's low power set-top boxes and Internet appliances and delivers a lightning fast user experience on a 300 MHz embedded processor with 128MB of RAM. Applications developed on the VUDU RIA platform are as responsive as native applications but have the added advantage of being able to pull from the vast and growing reservoir of Internet content and services. They can also be updated anytime without modifying any software in the consumer's appliance, creating a dynamic experience heretofore unavailable in the living room. VUDU RIA will be opened up to third party developers in the first half of 2009.

"Our goal in creating VUDU RIA was to allow anyone with Web development skills to easily author Web-driven applications for the TV," said Prasanna Ganesan, VUDU's Chief Technical Officer. "We are very pleased with the results and look forward to opening up VUDU RIA to the developer community."

Ed
My Video Collection - stuff I could watch right now
12,495 Titles
1,308 High Definition Movies @ 1080p24fps

post #98 of 1953 Old 12-16-2008, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow!!

Phil
post #99 of 1953 Old 12-16-2008, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More news on the same from CNET at http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10123525-1.html

Quote:

Vudu is adding some free video content to its set-top box. Streaming video from providers such as YouTube, MSNBC, CNN, MTV, PBS, and National Geographic will be available, as will access to Flickr and Picasa photos and a handful of casual video games. The new content will be available via a free firmware update that's scheduled to hit all Vudu boxes over the next 24 hours.

The new services will be available as part of what Vudu is calling the Rich Internet Application platform, or RIA. (It'll be available on a tab called "Vudu Labs" on the set-top box's main home screen.) Vudu hasn't signed deals with any of the above-mentioned content providers; instead, the RIA is using freely available Web content and feeds. Vudu is planning to open up its RIA platform to third-party developers in the first half of 2009. The company is also noting that the platform is optimized for fairly low system requirements ("a 300 MHz embedded processor with 128MB of RAM"), suggesting that the Vudu Rich Internet Application platform could be ported to other set-tops as well.

Vudu gave CNET a sneak peek of the RIA features a few days early. We think it shows promise, but--as always--content is king, and there's not yet a wealth of must-see TV there. While Vudu says that the "On-Demand TV" section comprises more than 120 "channels," much of it is just clips or short-form content (often video podcasts, such as Rocketboom), with very little long-form full-episode content available. For instance: the "movies" section listed in the screenshot above had no actual movies; instead, it was comprised of featurettes and minisodes highlighting upcoming movies. A Vudu representative said that most network TV shows--full TV episodes available from Hulu, NBC, ABC, Fox, and CNET owner CBS--are currently housed in proprietary players that require a full Web browser or some sort of contractual arrangement, taking them off the table, at least for now.

On the other hand, navigation was generally smooth, and streaming quality was mostly solid (though, aside from an occasional high-res video, the visual presentation of most clips were as blocky as you'd expect from blowing up a Flash video on a big-screen TV). At the very least, Vudu now has the architecture in place to begin offering a more complete digital viewing experience of free content beyond its core pay-per-view offerings. That gives it a worthwhile bullet point against competitors such as Apple TV (which also has YouTube) and the Xbox 360 (Netflix). And as YouTube moves from short viral pet videos to full-episode TV shows, that feature could well become more worthwhile as well.

If the new Vudu features sound compelling--or potentially compelling, at least--remember that Best Buy's $200 movie credit--bringing the price of the $300 Vudu BX100 to an effective price of just $100--expires on December 31.

Ed
My Video Collection - stuff I could watch right now
12,495 Titles

post #100 of 1953 Old 12-16-2008, 07:39 AM

This is great news but I hope they work on getting some full length TV shows on there from services like Hula. That is the only thing I think Vudu is lacking at the moment. They simply don't have a lot of TV content and getting a service like Hula or a similar one would go a long way in selling these boxes.
post #101 of 1953 Old 12-16-2008, 08:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post

This is great news but I hope they work on getting some full length TV shows on there from services like Hula. That is the only thing I think Vudu is lacking at the moment. They simply don't have a lot of TV content and getting a service like Hula or a similar one would go a long way in selling these boxes.

"....as well as a new "On Demand TV" area with more than 120 channels.
Today, VUDU customers can access a broad selection of free on-demand shows provided by major network television and on-line specialty sites spanning news, food, music, sports, and more. Programs include daily highlights from shows such as "Today", "The Rachel Maddow Show", "Anderson Cooper 360", "Fantasy Focus NFL", "MTV News", as well as full programs, some in HD, from Nova, National Geographic, PBS and others. VUDU plans to add more applications and services throughout 2009..."

WOW!!!

VUDU keeps raising the bar!!

I can see my three VUDU boxes will be getting a longer workout in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #102 of 1953 Old 12-16-2008, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post

Vudu already has about 85 full length TV Series in the "pay-per-view" side of the house. In the new Vudu Labs zone I know that "Meet the Press" is a full length free TV show. I've not watched all of the 120 channels to be able to say for sure how many other channels are full length episodes.

Keep in mind that this RIA (Rich Internet Applications) announcement is the tip of the iceburg. There's really no limit to what we might see when they open the RIA interface to 3rd parties in 1Q 2009.

post #103 of 1953 Old 12-16-2008, 09:50 AM

I came here to make sure you guys had seen the news, but Ed beat me to it. Anyway, questions, comments or suggestions are welcome, either here or on our forums (or our blog, facebook page, twitter, whatever)

Patrick
Sr Product Manager, VUDU
post #104 of 1953 Old 12-17-2008, 11:56 AM

I heard that once a rented movie is watched, one cannot delete it off the disk. One has to wait for it top drop off after a few days. Is this still an issue?

Thanks in advance for the reply.
Sam.

Truth is Eternal, Knowledge is Changeable. It is disastrous to Confuse them. Madeline L'Engle.
post #105 of 1953 Old 12-17-2008, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavid21 View Post

I heard that once a rented movie is watched, one cannot delete it off the disk. One has to wait for it top drop off after a few days. Is this still an issue?

Thanks in advance for the reply.
Sam.

I'm not sure this is an "issue" as much as the nature of the extended rental feature. The rented movies used to drop off the Vudu box immediately after the 24-48 hour viewing window expired. When they announced the extended rental option (i.e. the ability to rent the movie again within 1 week of the virst viewing for $1 ) they started leaving the rental on the disc longer. That way when you extend the rental you don't have to use any bandwidth to download the movie again. This is actually a good thing!

This "issue" doesn't really affect anybody unless they have already filled their hard drive with purchased content (about 50 movies). Those few people have to wait a week for their rentals to expire before they can rent again. I expect this to be resolved when the release external storage support, allowing you to offload purchased content to other hard drives.

Do you have any other Vudu questions?

Ed
My Vudu Video Collection - stuff I could watch right now
12,495 Titles

post #106 of 1953 Old 12-17-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure this is an "issue" as much as the nature of the extended rental feature. The rented movies used to drop off the Vudu box immediately after the 24-48 hour viewing window expired. When they announced the extended rental option (i.e. the ability to rent the movie again within 1 week of the virst viewing for $1 ) they started leaving the rental on the disc longer. That way when you extend the rental you don't have to use any bandwidth to download the movie again. This is actually a good thing!

This "issue" doesn't really affect anybody unless they have already filled their hard drive with purchased content (about 50 movies). Those few people have to wait a week for their rentals to expire before they can rent again. I expect this to be resolved when the release external storage support, allowing you to offload purchased content to other hard drives.

Do you have any other Vudu questions?

Ed
My Vudu Video Collection - stuff I could watch right now
12,495 Titles

Ed, Thanks for answering.

The reason I asked was, there are times when as a family we get an urge to watch a movie which is not in our collection. I usually run down to the nearest BlockB if they have. In this case if the Vudu's disk is full and am not able to rent could be an inconveniance thats all.

Since there is the BestB deal is going on, I might treat myself with a Vudu. Not sure yet.

How is HD content quality? ( I have a Mitsu RP 1080i CRT)

Thanks.
Sam.

Truth is Eternal, Knowledge is Changeable. It is disastrous to Confuse them. Madeline L'Engle.
post #107 of 1953 Old 12-17-2008, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavid21 View Post

Ed, Thanks for answering.

The reason I asked was, there are times when as a family we get an urge to watch a movie which is not in our collection. I usually run down to the nearest BlockB if they have. In this case if the Vudu's disk is full and am not able to rent could be an inconveniance thats all.

Since there is the BestB deal is going on, I might treat myself with a Vudu. Not sure yet.

How is HD content quality? ( I have a Mitsu RP 1080i CRT)

Thanks.
Sam.

The HD quality is great, and the HDX quality is the undisputed winner compared to any other Digital Download service. But hey, don't trust me, use your own judgement. The Vudu has a 30 day - no questions asked - money back guarantee. Get one from Best Buy now to take advantage of the great $200 credit, and if you aren't pleased, all you've lost is the cost of a few rentals.

I don't think you'll be dissapointed, and your family will love having instant access to over 12,000 titles. I now own 3 Vudu's, and I can't imagine ever crossing the threshold of a Block Buster again. I just want to watch movies, and this is the best thing going IMHO.

post #108 of 1953 Old 12-17-2008, 02:08 PM

Does anybody know if you already have a Vudu and an account set up, if the Best Buy credit would apply to your current account, or would you have to open a new account for the new Vudu?
post #109 of 1953 Old 12-17-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkarakis View Post

Does anybody know if you already have a Vudu and an account set up, if the Best Buy credit would apply to your current account, or would you have to open a new account for the new Vudu?

The credit applies to your existing account, so you can share the $200 Vudu bucks across all your Vudu's.

post #110 of 1953 Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkarakis View Post

Does anybody know if you already have a VUDU and an account set up, if the Best Buy credit would apply to your current account, or would you have to open a new account for the new VUDU?

Yes it applies to the current account. I had two VUDU boxes when I bought my third one from BestBuy. I just entered the info on the VUDU site, after I was logged in, to activate the box. And a message popped up thanking me for purchasing it from BB and then I saw where the $200 was credited to my account. It was quick and easy and definitely worth it with the $200 credit.
And with the 30 day, money back guarantee, it's a win-win situation.

post #111 of 1953 Old 12-20-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I think it had something to do with looking at my movie collection (over 700) and thinking how many times I had watched most of them. Thanks for all of the feedback here. I am buying at least 1 unit, most likely 2.

Can I get the $200 deal on both if I get two? Better get to watchin' if so...

Thanks again, this thread, your comments and Patrick's participation sealed it for me. This is what AVS is for!

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #112 of 1953 Old 12-20-2008, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

I think it had something to do with looking at my movie collection (over 700) and thinking how many times I had watched most of them. Thanks for all of the feedback here. I am buying at least 1 unit, most likely 2.

Can I get the $200 deal on both if I get two? Better get to watchin' if so...

Thanks again, this thread, your comments and Patrick's participation sealed it for me. This is what AVS is for!

Yeah, you can double dip the credit. Just be sure to use it up in 4 months! See you on forum.vudu.com

post #113 of 1953 Old 12-20-2008, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, you can double dip the credit. Just be sure to use it up in 4 months! See you on forum.vudu.com

Bought it tonight. Merry Christmas to me.

See you there (and here).

post #114 of 1953 Old 12-20-2008, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

Bought it tonight. Merry Christmas to me.

See you there (and here).

Congrats! Don't forget that it will probably take 2-5 days for your new Vudu to do a "background" download of all the catalog updates since it was built. By New Years you'll have a fully operational battlestar.

post #115 of 1953 Old 12-22-2008, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

...wife says it waits for Christmas Eve (our Christmas present opening party that night). And, that is really bad news since I fly out on Christmas morning and don't get back until Jan. 1. I'll hook it up and let it connect while I am gone. I'll at least get to try it out over the New Year's weekend.

Thanks again.

post #116 of 1953 Old 12-22-2008, 01:57 PM

I have one important question that I can't seem to find an answer to. I hear this box being compared (and dominating) to the AppleTV from a Rental & Owning content perspective (and the "free" online content is a HUGE bonus), but can this box play my local content from my network? If not, this box (for me & my family) is a waist of time...

Thanks

Enough with the PMs about the name...

Getting
Everything
Never
Implies
U are
Satisfied
post #117 of 1953 Old 12-22-2008, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius74 View Post

I have one important question that I can't seem to find an answer to. I hear this box being compared (and dominating) to the AppleTV from a Rental & Owning content perspective (and the "free" online content is a HUGE bonus), but can this box play my local content from my network? If not, this box (for me & my family) is a waist of time...

Thanks

The current public software for Vudu owners does not yet support playback of local content. However, Vudu recently announced and released the Rich Internet Applications (RIA) platform. They will be giving us all access to the RIA interface in 2009, and I'm convinced we'll be able to use this to build (and share) our own applications for Vudu that would allow you to do this (i.e. play local content from your network). After all, your local content would be internet accessable from your Vudu on your LAN - just gotta know the IP address of your storage location and provide a menu data file that's RIA compatible. No promise, but I know this is something most Vudu owners have been asking for since day one. When RIA is released for private local development I can imagine our own sourceforge type project site.

post #118 of 1953 Old 12-22-2008, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

For several days, the main VUDU movies page comes up with blank images.

http://www.vudu.com/movies/

Does this happen for anyone else? I have tried different browsers, and it doesn't make a difference, and I have not changed any settings. I am wondering if this is a problem that is being worked on?

Phil
post #119 of 1953 Old 12-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post

Does this happen for anyone else? I have tried different browsers, and it doesn't make a difference, and I have not changed any settings. I am wondering if this is a problem that is being worked on?

comes up OK
post #120 of 1953 Old 12-22-2008, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post

Looks good to me - you might want to clear your browser cache, or check your DNS settings for something unique to your setup.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page