Master Vudu discussion - place to talk about your Vudu experience - Page 68 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
post #2011 of 2029 Old 12-17-2014, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The changes are mostly branding/logo related. I like that they've added a watchlist now, which helps immensely if you have dozens of UV titles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2029 Old 01-09-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm using a 2014 Sony TV with Vudu app and it will close without notice or warning while watching a movie. Wired connection to my router. Anyone else have similar issues with any Vudu apps or run in to this behavior before?
post #2013 of 2029 Old 01-09-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post
I'm using a 2014 Sony TV with Vudu app and it will close without notice or warning while watching a movie. Wired connection to my router. Anyone else have similar issues with any Vudu apps or run in to this behavior before?
If I remember correctly, you have a PS3 as well .. ?? If so, try running the PS3 app and see if you have the same issue .. and, are you running an HDX stream .. ??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2014 of 2029 Old 01-09-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
If I remember correctly, you have a PS3 as well .. ?? If so, try running the PS3 app and see if you have the same issue .. and, are you running an HDX stream .. ??
Unfortunately no PS3/PS4. It seems to be working fine now (mid-day), so I wonder if it just handles a buffering poorly during prime time. I do stream HDX (currently testing at 42 Mbps via the Vudu site. But new to this so I'll play with the options. Looks like my Mac can also stream some films in HDX so I'll try that simultaneously and see if it has same issues.
post #2015 of 2029 Old 01-09-2015, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I don't think the PC will stream HDX.
post #2016 of 2029 Old 01-10-2015, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure does! I've only got 23 films loaded into my library in the past week, but of those, 21 of 23 are available in HDX via Vudo To Go App on OS X. The SD only across all films is, I believe, only applicable to tablets and phones.

And tonight's screening of Gone Girl went wonderfully so hopefully it was just some intermittent network issue that day.

Last edited by Naylia; 01-11-2015 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Clarity
post #2017 of 2029 Old 01-11-2015, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Something I have learned for those who can't get In Home Disc-to-Digital to work - it definitely doesn't play nice with AnyDVD. Disabling it on my drive allowed the Vudo To Go: Disc-to-Digital app to work flawlessly.
post #2018 of 2029 Old 01-11-2015, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I also read all 68 pages of the thread....the service really has evolved quite a bit over time.
post #2019 of 2029 Old 01-12-2015, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
I also read all 68 pages of the thread....the service really has evolved quite a bit over time.
Do you mean for better or for worse? I've only been with Vudu 6 months so I have little history. It seems to work pretty well for me but still seems like emerging technology. Getting new shows online appears to be a rather manual process on server end. I ended up getting a direct URL from support to a show that wouldn't come up on a search. Eventually the search worked but still took some time, I was thankful support gave us the link.

Cheers,
post #2020 of 2029 Old 01-12-2015, 06:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Something I have learned for those who can't get In Home Disc-to-Digital to work - it definitely doesn't play nice with AnyDVD. Disabling it on my drive allowed the Vudo To Go: Disc-to-Digital app to work flawlessly.
Yes, that has always been the case. WHich is expected since Any DVD HD strips out the protections of the disc.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2021 of 2029 Old 01-12-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
Do you mean for better or for worse? I've only been with Vudu 6 months so I have little history. It seems to work pretty well for me but still seems like emerging technology. Getting new shows online appears to be a rather manual process on server end. I ended up getting a direct URL from support to a show that wouldn't come up on a search. Eventually the search worked but still took some time, I was thankful support gave us the link.

Cheers,
Well here's why I joined the party recently. I run a HTPC and have much of my collection stored on hard disk. I recently had a hard drive failure that was mostly recoverable, but got me looking at cloud based options for our movies and music. It was also mostly an annoying process get movies onto our iPads (both the Mrs and I travel for work - so frequent access via tablet was important). I was ripping lossless copies, and then re-encoding tablet friendly file sizes and it came down to either I put a bunch of time into it, or not bother and it ended up the latter.

Timing of launches (much debated over the years) is also not an issue for me. We always find out about movies way after they were popular and so far I've been buying off the daily $4.99 special more than anything else.

Key features for me were:
- Disc to Digital with HD upgrades for all my old DVDs. I didn't want to rebuy at $14.99 a movie, but I'm happy to pay an incremental upgrade price on discs I bought 15 years ago.
- Easy downloading to laptops / tablets. Looks like only SD for tablets right now, would be nice to see HD. This was key for the travel.
- Ultraviolet (which some people loathe for some reason) - but I think a licensing model backed by the studios, with different vendors building apps on it should lead to better apps over time (competition), while I can still swap services if one gets better than the other without losing my existing purchases.
- Pretty solid 1080p/24... Not a flawless copy of the Blu-Ray but definitely hit my quality/convienece threshold (your threshold may vary), on our 55" TV.

Now I do live in bandwidth rich environment, so streaming should be ok. I get HDX with 4 bars (although everyone always references 1 to 3 bars), so not sure what's going on there.

Experimenting with family share with my brother/sister in-law and it'll be interesting to see how that works out for them.

I'll probably also play around with downloading to the HTPC to see if I can maintain some sort of offline library, or in case buffering becomes an issue. But I'll need to see if I can get 24p working on it.

Looking forward to the elusive CFF and possibility of an Amazon entry into Ultraviolet to drive competition in services. (I don't really have much hope of lots of price competition.)

Last edited by Naylia; 01-12-2015 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #2022 of 2029 Old 01-17-2015, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ok, I've been using Vudu for a few years. For the most part it's great. On the video side, can't really complain.

I was until recently streaming Vudu through my Panasonic player and would get the DD+ symbol. Sound was good, no real complaints.

Last month I purchased the Chromecast, so decided to run Vudu through my Galaxy S4. Appears to be working really well. However I noticed instead of DD+, my Onkyo receiver's PCM Multi channel appears.

Is that as good as DD+? Not really sure if it's running in true discreet surround. Sounds like it is.

Just to let you know the Chromecast is HDMI'ed into the back of my Onkyo HT R60 receiver.
post #2023 of 2029 Old 01-18-2015, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post
Ok, I've been using Vudu for a few years. For the most part it's great. On the video side, can't really complain.

I was until recently streaming Vudu through my Panasonic player and would get the DD+ symbol. Sound was good, no real complaints.

Last month I purchased the Chromecast, so decided to run Vudu through my Galaxy S4. Appears to be working really well. However I noticed instead of DD+, my Onkyo receiver's PCM Multi channel appears.

Is that as good as DD+? Not really sure if it's running in true discreet surround. Sounds like it is.

Just to let you know the Chromecast is HDMI'ed into the back of my Onkyo HT R60 receiver.
There is no difference. Your Panasonic player was set to send its audio as bitstream, so your receiver displayed DD+ and decoded the audio tracks. The Chromecast is decoding the audio and sending the digital output to your receiver. In either case, the audio is getting converted to analog by the receiver and the audio output will be identical:
http://hometheater.about.com/od/blur...eam-Vs-Pcm.htm

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #2024 of 2029 Old Today, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Maybe it should be totally obvious to folks but it wasn't to me, so I am sharing, just in case.

Although we have a 15mbps service, it can fluctuate from below 1 to above 40, depending on ..... well, no one, including Comcast, can figure it out.

Suffice to say, download services are MUCH preferred in our household to streaming services.

So we have a PS3 for watching UV and VUDU movies, since it allows us to download a rental and watch it locally instead of dealing with streaming weirdness.

We also do the same with Apple TV.

But what I didn't know until last weekend was that whereas the Apple TV will let you play your content even if your internet connect is completely hosed, VUDU will not. Even though I own a couple dozen UV titles and have them downloaded onto the PS3 VUDU app and on the PS3 hard drive, I wasn't able to watch my owned content, on my local machine, when my internet went down this weekend.

This is super important to me, since we sometimes vacation and want to bring some movies and in the past we did this with a tablet. But I was going to try the PS3 next time, for a higher quality video. You can guess I'm glad we were able to do this trial run before attending the real deal!

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #2025 of 2029 Old Today, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Maybe it should be totally obvious to folks but it wasn't to me, so I am sharing, just in case.

Although we have a 15mbps service, it can fluctuate from below 1 to above 40, depending on ..... well, no one, including Comcast, can figure it out.

Suffice to say, download services are MUCH preferred in our household to streaming services.

So we have a PS3 for watching UV and VUDU movies, since it allows us to download a rental and watch it locally instead of dealing with streaming weirdness.

We also do the same with Apple TV.

But what I didn't know until last weekend was that whereas the Apple TV will let you play your content even if your internet connect is completely hosed, VUDU will not. Even though I own a couple dozen UV titles and have them downloaded onto the PS3 VUDU app and on the PS3 hard drive, I wasn't able to watch my owned content, on my local machine, when my internet went down this weekend.

This is super important to me, since we sometimes vacation and want to bring some movies and in the past we did this with a tablet. But I was going to try the PS3 next time, for a higher quality video. You can guess I'm glad we were able to do this trial run before attending the real deal!
Just load em on a laptop and bring a laptop-to-HDMI cable with you.
post #2026 of 2029 Old Today, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just load em on a laptop and bring a laptop-to-HDMI cable with you.
Vudu only allows me to download to my laptop in SD.

Even an HDX movies I own like Barry Lyndon says "This title in viewable on PC in SD only."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	491721  

post #2027 of 2029 Old Today, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Vudu only allows me to download to my laptop in SD.

Even an HDX movies I own like Barry Lyndon says "This title in viewable on PC in SD only."
I only have like 3 SD only titles out of 50...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-20 at 5.59.08 PM.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	491729  
post #2028 of 2029 Old Today, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

If they're HD friendly for PC you'll see this purple bar on the website. It's not everything since it's all negotiated by studio (and probably almost by picture).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-20 at 6.02.17 PM.png
Views:	2
Size:	573.9 KB
ID:	491737  
post #2029 of 2029 Unread Today, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks yes I was able to find some like that after you pointed that out. Strange that even some recent ones, like Guardians of the Galaxy, aren't available that way.

Last edited by nathan_h; Today at 09:01 PM.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page