Master Vudu discussion - place to talk about your Vudu experience - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #2101 of 2128 Old 12-28-2015, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Seems like you've answered your own question. Posting in this thread will likely provide more specific answers.

MGO 4K download troubleshooting thread
Yes, I am about to post there. I am looking for a difference between the two, they will likely to tell me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2128 Old 12-28-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
There's a download button for movies you purchase on the website to download to your computer.
VUDU downloads require their player to play it back on a device or computer. I haven't tried it yet. Also many streaming encodes are CBR and downloads can be VBR which would make them smaller. Also h265 encoding is very efficient and test encodes I've done with it resulted in a file size almost half of the same file encoded with h264. Problem is the industry doesn't want to pay the royalties for h265 that MPEG-LA is demanding so they have formed a consortium to come up with a royalty free codec possibly a variant on the Google VP9 codec.
post #2103 of 2128 Old 12-28-2015, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
SamsungFan2020, you stated that you had watched some of the the 2 minute previews in UHD; what equipment did you watch it on? I ask because your username would lead me to expect you to own Samsung stuff and I wonder whether they'd enabled VUDU UHD on that and I missed the announcement.

I tried using the download feature a couple of times. They had Prometheus for streaming a couple of months before it became available on BD so I bought it. It was a Friday night when I bought it and fearing heavy network use, I downloaded it to my PS3 and watched on that;as I recall, the size seemed consistent with the maximum HDX stream bandwidth of 9 Mbps. I latter tried downloading some things to PC with little success, but the feature was new. I wonder whether the UHD encodes can be downloaded (IIRC, it would only allow me to download one thing that I tried in SD).

I'll have a go at it on my PC today.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #2104 of 2128 Old 12-28-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Huh. The VUDU-To-Go PC app appears to work better now. One title that I remember it refusing to download was Prometheus; it's downloading it now, albeit a bit slowly. You have to use the app to play the title though. The VUDU website will let you buy films in UHD but I'm unsure whether it will let you download them; I'm not buying one to find out.

I was reading a bit of that M-Go thread and someone said that the 4K downloads from it are running 60-90GB, about what you'd expect from a UHD BD. If that's true, I'm really surprised. (M-Go's UHD download FAQ says that they average 60GB, so I guess that it is true--outstanding).

post #2105 of 2128 Old 12-28-2015, 10:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I spoke too soon about VUDU To Go. The player doesn't work all that well on my PC (a 3.2 GHz i5 with 8 GB memory running Win10, connected through an Onkyo AVR to this Vizio P602ui-B3 4K panel). I used the app to download Prometheus at HDX quality getting a file which MediaInfo tells me is 8170 Kbps AVC with a 320 Kbps stereo AAC soundtrack in an Adobe Flash wrapper (after I tracked the file down to C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData\Roaming\com.vudu.air .Downloader\Local Store\351221\372098\390828\9000Seg1.f4f ). It plays really poorly in the app and you must play it in the app. It looks terrible in the non-fullscreen window and when I blow it up fullscreen the picture disappears, though the sound and captions play.

There also seem to be variable permission as to what resolutions you can get for what properties on PC. I can stream Monsters, Inc and Wreck It Ralph at HDX on embedded players, but can only stream or download the former to PC in SD and the later in SD or HD but not HDX. So much for VUDU To Go on desktops.

EDIT: I downloaded The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 and while it played better I'd still judge streaming in an embedded app to be superior. The highest bit rate HDX stream may be the same as the downloaded encode, but the embedded players just do a better job of smoothing aliasing and dealing with other digital flaws than VUDU's app. Combined with the fact that you can only get stereo sound leaves it a not very appealing way to view. I truly wonder whether it lets you download UHD at all.

Last edited by michaeltscott; 12-29-2015 at 02:46 AM.
post #2106 of 2128 Old 12-29-2015, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
VUDU downloads require their player to play it back on a device or computer. I haven't tried it yet. Also many streaming encodes are CBR and downloads can be VBR which would make them smaller. Also h265 encoding is very efficient and test encodes I've done with it resulted in a file size almost half of the same file encoded with h264. Problem is the industry doesn't want to pay the royalties for h265 that MPEG-LA is demanding so they have formed a consortium to come up with a royalty free codec possibly a variant on the Google VP9 codec.
Not sure about other tablets but the VUDU app on my iPad allows me to set the download quality to LOW, MEDIUM and HIGH. I don't know the file size difference would be since I don't bother with downloads...but it's nice to have that option if I should ever need to.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #2107 of 2128 Old 12-29-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
SamsungFan2020, you stated that you had watched some of the the 2 minute previews in UHD; what equipment did you watch it on? I ask because your username would lead me to expect you to own Samsung stuff and I wonder whether they'd enabled VUDU UHD on that and I missed the announcement.

I tried using the download feature a couple of times. They had Prometheus for streaming a couple of months before it became available on BD so I bought it. It was a Friday night when I bought it and fearing heavy network use, I downloaded it to my PS3 and watched on that;as I recall, the size seemed consistent with the maximum HDX stream bandwidth of 9 Mbps. I latter tried downloading some things to PC with little success, but the feature was new. I wonder whether the UHD encodes can be downloaded (IIRC, it would only allow me to download one thing that I tried in SD).

I'll have a go at it on my PC today.
I have JS9000 and tried 2 minute preview for HDX (Vudu app with the TV). I couldn't find any preview for UHD. My idea is this, I am trying to have a comparison

For example; San Andreas movie in Vudu (Downloaded) in 4k vs San Andreas in MGO in 4k download vs Actual Blu ray

I want to know the GB sizes for all 3 copies and Bit rate for all 3 to see difference in both quality and sizes. This comparison may show Vudu or MGO better (we're only talking downloading and not streaming) and comparison will show which copy is better, which 4k version or actual blu ray disc.

Somehow I couldn't find such comparison in the forum
post #2108 of 2128 Old 12-29-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From what M-Go say in their FAQ on 4K, the average file size of their 4K content is 60 GB, so it's almost certainly the encode that will be on a 4K BD. I don't believe that M-Go has 4K streaming, just downloads to special storage devices. We're not certain yet that VUDU will allow downloads in UHD at all; if they're encoded at the same bit rate as their UHD streams they'd be about 14.4 GB in size for a 2 hour film.

VUDU publishes a list of UHD compatible devices in the top post of a thread in their online forums. Currently it's only Roku 4 and Vizio TVs (a rare case of Vizio stealing an exclusivity march on Samsung), just as M-Go 4K downloads only work on special secure storage devices which can only be used by Samsung TVs. Supposedly those Vidity storage devices will eventually work with other manufacturer's equipment just as VUDU UHD will eventually work with other equipment. When VUDU UHD is available in a player a VUDU UHD collection will appear in the UI.

Have you purchased and downloaded an M-Go UHD movie? If so, how was it?

post #2109 of 2128 Old 12-30-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Depends too if the streams are CBR or VBR (which is now being done on some services). I would suspect the downloads would be VBR and hence smaller than what is streamed.
post #2110 of 2128 Old 12-30-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
From what M-Go say in their FAQ on 4K, the average file size of their 4K content is 60 GB, so it's almost certainly the encode that will be on a 4K BD. I don't believe that M-Go has 4K streaming, just downloads to special storage devices. We're not certain yet that VUDU will allow downloads in UHD at all; if they're encoded at the same bit rate as their UHD streams they'd be about 14.4 GB in size for a 2 hour film.

VUDU publishes a list of UHD compatible devices in the top post of a thread in their online forums. Currently it's only Roku 4 and Vizio TVs (a rare case of Vizio stealing an exclusivity march on Samsung), just as M-Go 4K downloads only work on special secure storage devices which can only be used by Samsung TVs. Supposedly those Vidity storage devices will eventually work with other manufacturer's equipment just as VUDU UHD will eventually work with other equipment. When VUDU UHD is available in a player a VUDU UHD collection will appear in the UI.

Have you purchased and downloaded an M-Go UHD movie? If so, how was it?
MGO actually have 4k streaming. However, I never tried it. I just don't think in general that Streaming match Blu ray disc or 4k downloads. 4k download or 4k with HDR downloads seems the good comparison to Blu ray as of right now. While Streaming are slightly lower in quality whether 1080p or 4k even. This is according to people opinions. I haven't seen much 4k streaming to compare so I wouldn't know for sure.

It make sense to use specific movie and compare and this way I and others can get an idea how things stand for better quality. I am sure when UHD blu ray (HDR) comes around it will be highest quality, but not every movie though!

I have seen MGO Exodus and another movie from them in 4k HDR. The quality was very good but I didn't see the HDR effect! I think it's new and it will start to be noticeable in UHD blu ray and in the next couple years (just a good guess). But regarding the movies from MGO they were nice but i couldn't compare both movies because I don't have the Blu ray copies for the two movies so therefore I have nothing to compare them to! This is one reason why I asked people here for their opinion.
post #2111 of 2128 Old 01-07-2016, 10:42 PM

Ok, A question, hopefully someone able to answer me. How to have VUDU Credits? There is no clear way to it tells how to gain credits in vudu website
post #2112 of 2128 Old 01-08-2016, 12:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I believe that they have to give them to you. Use to be that if you registered a new streaming device on your account you'd get $6 credit. They might have a promotion in which they send an email informing you that they gave you a certain amount of credit. I don't believe that you can buy it.

post #2113 of 2128 Old 01-08-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I believe that they have to give them to you. Use to be that if you registered a new streaming device on your account you'd get $6 credit. They might have a promotion in which they send an email informing you that they gave you a certain amount of credit. I don't believe that you can buy it.
Yes, but do I get credit for each time I rent and purchase from them? if yes what is the exact credit amount?
post #2114 of 2128 Old 01-08-2016, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungFan2020 View Post
Yes, but do I get credit for each time I rent and purchase from them? if yes what is the exact credit amount?
No. They typically come from other promotions (example: sometimes buying a movie ticket for a theater on Fandango and they will give you some Vudu credit).
SamsungFan2020 likes this.

Build thread & current gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Looking to buy more Triad speakers. Got some to sell? Hit me up.
post #2115 of 2128 Old 01-08-2016, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Yes, but do I get credit for each time I rent and purchase from them?
No. Credits are typically only handed out as promotional offers to lure new customers. Buying or renting something doesn't earn you credits on future rentals/purchases.

The last promotional credit sent to me was for $5.

Edit-LOL..Nathan already answered...

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #2116 of 2128 Old 01-08-2016, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Case in point; I just got an email from VUDU with a code for a $3 credit which expires in a week, the credit itself to expire 30 days later. They used to be a lot more generous. I'm tempted to apply it toward a 4K stream rental, just to check out the PQ over an entire feature, bringing that down to $7 out of pocket. I've already seen most of them though, and of the ones I haven't Run All Night is available from HBO Go right now. Maybe The Man from U.N.C.L.E. or Pan.

post #2117 of 2128 Old 01-08-2016, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Most VUDU credit comes from purchasing products (mostly DVDs and Blu-rays) at Walmart. Some packages are marked in stores with VUDU credit.

VUDU credits are bought and sold by traders. Typically they go for half the price of face value, so a $10 VUDU credit will sell for $5. Each type of VUDU credit has a limit per account.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through November 15, 2015)
post #2118 of 2128 Old 01-09-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
No. They typically come from other promotions (example: sometimes buying a movie ticket for a theater on Fandango and they will give you some Vudu credit).
I see, I thought they have had similar credits like MGO when purchasing or renting.
post #2119 of 2128 Old 01-09-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
No. Credits are typically only handed out as promotional offers to lure new customers. Buying or renting something doesn't earn you credits on future rentals/purchases.

The last promotional credit sent to me was for $5.

Edit-LOL..Nathan already answered...
Ah I see, so they send credits every one in a while if you're new customer with them? I never used vudu before so I have no account with them
post #2120 of 2128 Old 01-09-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Most VUDU credit comes from purchasing products (mostly DVDs and Blu-rays) at Walmart. Some packages are marked in stores with VUDU credit.

VUDU credits are bought and sold by traders. Typically they go for half the price of face value, so a $10 VUDU credit will sell for $5. Each type of VUDU credit has a limit per account.
Purchasing certain products at wal mart qualifies for Vudu credit? Well, I wouldn't buy Blu ray disc just to get the credit, but yes I understand the idea, the credits for future movies, but I am trying to find replacement for Blu ray Disc. Kaleidescape comes to mind but the device(s) are costly, but at least it matches Blu ray quality without buying the Disc.
post #2121 of 2128 Old 01-09-2016, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Purchasing certain products at wal mart qualifies for Vudu credit? Well, I wouldn't buy Blu ray disc just to get the credit, but yes I understand the idea, the credits for future movies, but I am trying to find replacement for Blu ray Disc. Kaleidescape comes to mind but the device(s) are costly, but at least it matches Blu ray quality without buying the Disc.
Thats the only option for full BR quality including audio. Downsides are that the hardware is overpriced, studio participation is meager, and prices are higher than buying physical media.

post #2122 of 2128 Old 01-11-2016, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Purchasing certain products at wal mart qualifies for Vudu credit? Well, I wouldn't buy Blu ray disc just to get the credit, ...
While Vudu doesn't get you what you want (full Blu-ray quality streaming). I will comment on the Vudu credits. First they are not always just available at Walmart and they are on more products than video DVD/Blu-rays. The offers come and go, but I have received Vudu credits from buying Dr. Pepper, Kleenex tissues, and other products. Right now my local Walmart has a rack with $5 Blu-rays that include a $10 credit. No real great movies but last week I bought The Last Stand, Lord of War, & Fire with Fire. Cost $15 I got the 3 Blu-rays, UV Digital copy of all 3, & $30 of Vudu credits.
dnoonie likes this.
post #2123 of 2128 Old 01-15-2016, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
there are Google+ groups (some with as many as 20k members) that buy, sell, and trade not only VUDU Credits (typically $.50 on the $1), but also MGO credits (closer to $.44 on the $1) and VUDU movies (typically in the $4 to $6 range). they also offer Disc to Digital service (D2D), which is a great way to expand your movie library by getting older (couple years old and older) movies "converted" from DVD or Blu Ray to VUDU for even cheaper. PM me if you have any questions. i've expanded my movie collection from less than 100 to over 1300 in the past 6 months.
huskerbear likes this.
post #2124 of 2128 Old 01-15-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intowishin View Post
there are Google+ groups (some with as many as 20k members) that buy, sell, and trade not only VUDU Credits (typically $.50 on the $1), but also MGO credits (closer to $.44 on the $1) and VUDU movies (typically in the $4 to $6 range). they also offer Disc to Digital service (D2D), which is a great way to expand your movie library by getting older (couple years old and older) movies "converted" from DVD or Blu Ray to VUDU for even cheaper. PM me if you have any questions. i've expanded my movie collection from less than 100 to over 1300 in the past 6 months.
VUDU offers D2D already direct on the web site.

It would be cool to get credits cheaper than retail. I typically go with the 25% off iTunes credits that appear on a regular basis on Paypal/eBay.

post #2125 of 2128 Old 01-15-2016, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
VUDU offers D2D already direct on the web site.

It would be cool to get credits cheaper than retail. I typically go with the 25% off iTunes credits that appear on a regular basis on Paypal/eBay.
that is what i am talking about. people in the community use their DVDs/Blu Rays to convert to digital to add to your account.
post #2126 of 2128 Old 01-29-2016, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Anybody have any ideas about this?

Vudu Problem, or Subwoofer?

home theater addict
post #2127 of 2128 Old 01-30-2016, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

VUDU has yet to have an Android TV app so decided to "cast" from my Android phone VUDU app to the TV. The last time I tried it in worked like a "cast" was supposed to work and just redirected the stream to the Shield TV. This time with the updated app it tried to actually cast from the phone rather than redirect with hilarious results, the video SD and the sound speed up like chipmunks.
post #2128 of 2128 Old 01-30-2016, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So there's a generalized "cast" operation which can redirect the stream from VUDU to some kind of generic HTML5 video display engine on Chromecast or an Android TV device?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware