Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
post #1 of 2011 Old 11-04-2008, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A place to talk about anything related to Vudu that is of interest to AVSFORUM members. This thread may be occasionally visited by Vudu employees, but they don't have any editorial authority.

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2011 Old 11-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 512
This thread is dedicated to VUDU : it is a spinoff of

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1009754

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #3 of 2011 Old 11-04-2008, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First extract from original thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

From what I have seen Vudu looks much better than AppleTV. The DD+ aspect of Vudu is also attractive. The Vudu user interface was also very intuitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

UNfotunately the VUDU box doesn't bitstream the DD+. It transcodes it to DD before being output from the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUDUPatrick View Post

If you have specific questions related to the VUDU box or service, I'm happy to help.

Patrick Ellis
Sr Product Manager, VUDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl b View Post

how is that unfortunate?

Quote:

Because DD+ allows for a higher bitrate than DD. So if the box had the capability to bitstream it would have the possibility to have better audio quality than a DVD. But since it only has HDMI 1.1 it can't bitstream the DD+. It has to be transcoded to DD before output from the box.

OF course this doesn't make the VUDU box any less useful. It's all about convenience and the VUDU box is about as convenient as you can get for HD VOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear5k View Post

With HDMI 1.1, it could also be unpacked to LPCM and sent over HDMI, without the conversion from one lossy format to another.

Quote:

I don't think the box has that capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonison View Post

Blu-ray uses dolby-digital 640kbps, which isn't dolby digital plus, but which is a higher bit riate than standard dvd which is limited to dolby-digital 448kpbs or dolby-digital 384kbps. DD/640 works fine transmitted on the older optical toslink; I assume on hdmi as well.

DD/640 isn't loosless, but is perceptually transparent. Maybe someone would know which dolby digital bit rates vudu supports.

Quote:

I'm not sure what the rate is, but with DD+ you can definitely get a higher bitrate which can sound much better than DD can. DD+ at 1.5mbs sounds much better than DD at 640kbs. They do not sound the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonison View Post

Perhaps you are you comparing the higher quality audio against DVD, which is limited to DD 448 kbps?

There is a slight audible improvement going to DD 640, but I haven't seen any links to double blind tests with level matched material where listeners were able to reliably pick out the lossless track versus the DD/640 track. Sticking with DD/640 makes sense given the download bandwidth limitations and given the hardware support for DD/640 on older non hdmi 5.1 surround sound systems.

Quote:

I have no problem with them sticking with DD, that was their decision and it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsen123 View Post

I read this awhile ago and gave up trying to always get TrueHD or measure bit rate. Even in my best set up (which is nowhere near a professional set up), I might hear a little difference switching between high/low bitrate DD but it's not something I can't continue listening to.

http://www.hemagazine.com/node/Dolby...compressed_PCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tywoniak View Post

anyone know about this new format

Quote:

What would you like to know?

Patrick Ellis
Sr Product Manager, VUDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Vudu got a nice write up by David Pogue in today's New York Times

Quote:

Question about differences with XL unit: aside from larger HD: what are the differences?

I would use with RTI remote but would not mind using an IR emitter

Quote:

Compared to the BX100, the XL has a 1TB Drive (vs 250GB), which is good for permanent storage of 500 SD titles vs 50. Additionally, the XL has an optional software package that enables IP control and HD output (up to 1080i) over the Component outputs where they are otherwise limited to 480p. IR control is available on both boxes with the IR kit.

Patrick

post #4 of 2011 Old 11-04-2008, 10:56 AM

Glad to see a Vudu owners/question thread.

I traded in bluray and Netflix for a Vudu box with wireless a few weeks ago, love it so far.

New releases are starting to show in HDX which, IMHO, has top notch PQ. If Vudu continues to support the HDX format, Ill have no reason to grab another bluray player (audio is not quite as good bluray but Ill live).

The on line ordering Vudu offers is very handy, you can select the movie on line the day it comes out, and its downloaded to your box when you get home.
post #5 of 2011 Old 11-04-2008, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Second extract - a few more to come

Quote:

1) Is the HDX format equal to BluRay in terms of video quality? 2) Is audio similar to Blu-ray lossless audio or is it still Basic Dolby Digital? 3) Will VuDu support 7.1 audio through HDMI similar to some Blu-Ray discs and similar to what XstreamHd is positioning in their announcements?

I have been holding off on all download services until I can find one that matched Blu-Ray. I have also been holding off waiting for Xstream HD, although that seems to be vapor ware so far.

Quote:

1) We're not going to make that claim, but feedback from those that have seen it is very positive.
2) HDX titles feature up to 640kbps Dolby Digital which, while not lossless, is a significant improvement in audio quality. It's also 40% greater than the bit rate of DD on DVDs and the same as the 187+ titles on Blu-ray that only have DD.
3) Unfortunately, our current hardware isn't capable of 7.1. So no, you won't see it soon.

Patrick

Quote:

How will it compare to DirecTV HD VOD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyTom View Post

Perhaps this article has a bit more of the detail you are asking about
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6601272.html

Quote:

Patrick

Can you tell me how to set up the XL for 1080i over component video output?

Quote:

HD over Component is enabled as part the XLS1 software package for the XL. XLS1 also includes IP control (though this feature may already be enabled on your XL). Your dealer can place the order.

Quote:

But it also has misinformation. All the VUDU HD titles have been encoded in 1080P24 not 1080i. They are just at a lower bitrate than the HDX titles. The HD titles are around 4mbs MPEG4 while the HDX are around 10mbs MPEG4, both at 1080P24.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Where is this written? It's difficult to believe that a 4 Mbps 1080p24 encoding would be watchable. Even for 720p24 (less than half the resolution), the XBL Video Store uses a VC-1 encoding at around 6.5 Mbps.

VUDUPatrick, can you confirm?

Quote:

Correct, from the beginning all of our HD content has been in 1080p24. Instant HD has a total stream bitrate of about 4mbps. H.264 with a good encoder and the right parameters can do some impressive things. Even more so when you give it nearly 10mbps average to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by av.pallino View Post

I believe both Vudu and Apple have quite generous return policies so give it a try.

Another advantage is there are lots of exclusive HD content to try out as well. Many catalog titles that haven't made it to Blu Ray yet.

I wish Vudu or Apple TV offered subtitles with their HD movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I've got an Xbox 360, PS3 and TiVo Series3, all of which continue to evolve as download rental/purchase playback platforms, so I'm not sure exactly what either Vudu or AppleTV have to offer that would make them worth my dime. I'm sure that they have some superior features and available content, but is it enough to make them worth the investment (and the clutter of yet another oddly shaped box in my rig)? Currently, I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post

Does anyone know if VUDU or AppleTV has the better SD picture quality? I'm very close to buying one of these systems.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post

Oops, I just read more of the posts and it appears VUDU is better picture quality for both SD and HD, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmuller View Post

Don't you mean 10 mbps peak? 10 mbps average would give you a stream rate of 10 mbps + audio which would for sure be above a total stream rate of 4 mbps.

Quote:

The 10mbs is referring to the HDX titles. The HD titles are 4mbs.

Quote:

Correct. Additionally, HDX titles peak at 20mbps while Instant HD titles peak at 8 or so.

Quote:

I would suggest checking it out for yourself. Go to a Best Buy and watch part of a movie or TV show on a Vudu box. Also go to iTunes and download an HD TV episode (you also get the SD as well when downloading an HD file for watching on your iPhone or iPod) or go to an Apple Store and play around with an AppleTV. Right now it looks like the pilot of Valentine is up for free on iTunes (not the best cinematic quality)

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...74694&s=143441

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobenet View Post

VUDUPatrick,

I'm looking for more info on your product. BestBuy only carries the 250Gb model, and i'd rather have a human being to yell at if i run into compatibility issues. Is there a timeline for enabling external storage on that device? (if at all?)

Also, would there ever be a consideration of adding a UPnP client to the machine so i can watch my other already ripped DVD collection via your machine? If this feature existed, i think you'd have a killer product. I'm getting rather sick of having 5 different machines in my hardware collection (mostly failed mind you) to watch 200 different titles i own already.

Think the LOTR saying... ONE MACHINE TO RULE THEM ALL. (and nobody please say PC, they're just too darn bulky and clumsy)

Quote:

goobenet,

Thanks for the enthusiasm and suggestions. Unfortunately, we're not in the business of tipping our hand about unannounced features until they are ready to go. There are just too many variables that can result in disappointed people all around when a feature isn't as promised (or at all) or doesn't make a previously announced date. You'll hear when or if we announce such features as those you mention. Sorry I can't be more help than that.

Patrick

Quote:

The biggest feature I think would be nice with VUDU would be a way to watch owned content that has been downloaded on one box, to be viewed on another one. Xbox Live allows this by being logged into to your gamer tag. As long as you are logged into the gamer tag that the content was purchased, you can download the purchased content and view it. And once that gamer tag is logged out, no one will be able to view the content so it is secure.

I'll be getting my third VUDU box later this week from Best Buy. This is why I would like this feature. If I only owned one box then it wouldn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobenet View Post

Understandable. although looking through the specs between the $300 box and the $1k box, the only difference i can find is the 1tb hard drive? Unless it's lined in gold, a $600 premium seems a little off-the-cuff marketing to those who have to get "the best" and pay for it... those of us in the know however know that a 1tb drive can be had for under $150 nowdays.

Are there other features i'm missing here that warrant the premium? (just curious, i'm waiting for payday to pick one up, give it a whirl!)

Quote:

The VUDU XL is also capable of up to 1080i over component (simultaneously with HDMI) and IP control for integration with advanced control systems. This is in addition to being able to store 500 SD titles vs the 50 or so of the VUDU HD (VBX100). Moving forward there may be additional features and functionality that will only be available on the VUDU XL.

Quote:

Plus isn't the VUDU XL only available from custom installers? So the higher price has a higher built in profit margin for the custom installers since you are also buying their services along with the box?

post #6 of 2011 Old 11-04-2008, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last extract from old thread:

Quote:

You are correct in that the VUDU XL is only available from custom installers and select high-end specialty retailers.

Quote:

Since this is the Vudu vs AppleTV thread gotta point out that AppleTV does 1080p over component & HDMI simultaneously. Having a 1 TB option on the AppleTV would be nice, but then again all of my AppleTVs are configured to stream from a central server that is located in my equipment room so really for me the local disk is only used for HD movie rental. As for IP control of the AppleTV I just use the Remote app on my iPhone. Let's me browse and control my AppleTV from anywhere on my network, pretty nice interface as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerfish View Post

I thought AppleTV was capped at 720p and couldn't do 1080p? I'm really on the fence between AppleTV and Vudu. Right now, I'm leaning toward VUDU w/HDX, but I own 2 iMacs and an iPhone so the AppleTV is very interesting from an integration and long term viability standpoint (I'm more nervous about VUDU going out of business in a year or 2).

If the AppleTV can actually output 1080p; it would be possible that Apple could announce a product similar to HDX and existing AppleTV's could handle it correct?

Thanks!
KF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

New Vudu owner so Im subbing to the thread.

Very happy so far, seems the HDX push is going well. HDX PQ is damn fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinKzo View Post

VuduPatrick, if we buy a unit and the hard drive fails, can we replace it ourselves or do we have to buy a new vudu box? Curious how that is handled as I am considering a Vudu unit, but I don't want to be stuck with a non-servicable box and have to buy a new one when (not if) the drive fails.

Quote:

Good question.

Quote:

Sorry, the hard drive is not user-replaceable.

Quote:

What is the cost to have the drive replaced? I would really hate to have these units be disposable and just have to buy a new one.

Reason I ask is with AppleTv, there is a pretty easy upgrade/replace process, similar to Tivo. Not that either manufacturer "support" it. Since I am sure the price of the Vudu unit is not recouping the actual costs (maybe it is?), but you intend to make your profit off the PPV style of selling, I would think it would be better to have a unit that users would not have to worry about losing use of to continue the PPV revenue stream.

What kind of drive is used by Vudu? Sata? IDE? SCSI (doubting this one, but just in case)

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

Honestly, I don't see how Vudu will be in business 6 months from now. The hardware and movies are expensive an do not offer any value add over competing products. Vudu lacks the ability to stream photos, music, movies, watch trailers, youtube, and a large # of TV shows.

Their probably breaking even on hardware or losing money. And the money they make off of content is pennies.

What consumer would choose this over their existing cable box, Netflix, AppleTV, PS3, or a dedicated Blu-ray player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent View Post

This is exactly what I am thinking. I am not exactly mainstream in my choices with technology, but a Vudu box wasnt even a consideration for me because of the above reasons.

Quote:

The new HDX format is great. I traded in my BR player for a 6mo experiment, so far Im happy. When a movie becomes available for rent, I can tell my box to remotely download it from any pc, then watch it whenever I want. For me, this is a replacement to Netflix (got tired of waiting on new flicks) and a BR player. As far as streaming goes, my Directv HDDVR does that.

You gotta remember, Vudu is still young, and those apple fans can say what they want about Apple TV, but at the end of the day, the AppleTV movie PQ aint so hot. Jobs also just stated that itll still be a "hobby" in 09, so its another mediocore apple product I wont buy.

And BTW, who the hell cares about watching you tube, thats pretty lame reasoning. Vudu has one purpose, watching movies without having to leave your home, and at their current pace, theyll have more HD movies than Apple soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

^ I got nothing against Vudu or AppleTV, but I seriously don't get the pricing scheme.

If you watch 10-20 movies a month, are you going to replace your <$20 a month Netflix with $50-$100/month for their PPV scheme?

If you only watch 5 movies a month, you're not really a "hardcore" movie watcher, so are you going to drop a couple hundred bucks on a Vudu/AppleTV box and then still pay $25/month?

Note I am assuming $5 PPV prices.

Sorry, but I can't afford $100 a month to watch movies, even if it's tons more convenient than Netflix. I'd probably be willing to pay $40 (still twice as much as Netflix), but not much more. So they either need to cut prices pretty much in half, or offer a buffet plan to get my business.

Again, I really hope these services take off as the potential and convenience is astounding, but I just don't see how they can compete at these prices. Of course, I said that about a certain other technology that recently beat out the "affordable" option, so don't listen to me.

Quote:

No way to watch 10-20 on Netflix, they throttle you.

I'll gladly pay $5.99/movie so I can watch it when Im ready. Too many times with Netflix I was sitting around thinking "man, sure would be nice to have that movie"

Quote:

The way I see Apple vs Vudu is, for tv shows Apple rules in content. For new movies, they both offer the same and have the same dates for the most part, but the HDX PQ of Vudu rules.

Price on both is high, I wonder how long before we'll see a Netflix style rental plan from VOD?

My move from media to VOD was slow because I had to allow for the 30 day rental delay window to catch up to the movies I had seen, but Im there now and have 1-2 new movies to rent every week now. Looking forward to it.

Quote:

I love the Vudu box, but if Apple actually took the AppleTv seriously and came out with a 1080p version of a high end encode like Vudu's HDX, it might be the king. Especially with the HD tv show content.

Quote:

Yep, Vudu for me wins quality and that is what keeps me from pulling the trigger on Apple TV....

Cmon vudupatrick, give me some more info so I might invest in your product and proclaim it to all who ask that Vudu is the best solution...

Quote:

Just spoke with someone at the vudu forum on Apple HD vs Vudu HD (not HDX). Sharpness is about the same, color on Vudu may be better, and Vudu has instant start on HD movies with 4mbps. HDX is no contest, but as stated, ATV rules the roost in tv and anything ipod related.

Looks like if you require movies and tv (and PQ matters), you need need two of something (Vudu/ATX/XBox/Amazon)

Ill be glad when we have one box that offers quality downloads of tv and movies. I have to wonder if Vudu isnt considering getting more into tv shows.

Quote:

i was not able to get hdmi and component to work - as soon as i plugged hdmi in - component shut off

Quote:

Richard,

HD over component and simultaneous component and HDMI are limited to the VUDU XL and only with the purchase and activation of the software package XLS1. IP control is also part of XLS1 but through December 31, it is included on all XLs.

Quote:

Vudupatick, did you see my questions? Are you just choosing not to answer them?
Even the simple one about what happens when the hard drive dies? What is the process to get the $80 part working again? I looked on the website, the FAQ's were slightly above useless so that is why I am asking here. Really it should not be hard for a potential customer to find this info on the website, but no query with the words "repair" "replace" "service" returned any results.

The vudu forums are even more vague on the capability to actually get purchased content back in the event of hardware failure. 1 year limits, 2 year limits are kicked around over there and any valid concern is merely brushed aside as fodder by people over there. It's almost like a site affiliated with AVS... question the company and management and you are immediately labeled as a troublemaker.

If the info is there, please direct me to it as my search terms are not liked much by the search engine. Really it should not be hard to find what the policy is in the event of hardware failure relating to:
Do I have to buy another box at $299 for what will most likely be just the harddrive
What exactly is the policy on restoring purchases (again the forums are all over the place with no definitive answer)

Quote:

He's in marketing and may not know. There some engineers over at the forum, they might have a better answer.

Im betting its like dvr's and such, you send it back.

Quote:

I saw your questions. The hard drive is not user replaceable (and I don't believe dd would work). I'm trying to get the correct information to give you about out of warranty repairs.

Quote:

Thank you for looking into it.

However, while I don't own the box, I have a hard time believing that given the opportunity, that someone could not figure out how to replace the drive. heck I have replaced drives on pretty much every home entertainment device I have owned that has had a hard drive (Dish DVR, Directv DVR, Tivo and so on) though various methods. Only Sony and their DHG-HDD series of OTA receivers have eluded me. And that is what worries me. Sony charges a ridculous price to replace the drive (If you can even get them to do it anymore) and you sit back just knowing that drive cost is nill to them.

I understand obviously that the whole DRM crap fest is part of your answers, but if vudu offers a reasonable repair option and clarifies the policy on purchased content being re-downloaded for no fee (1 year, 2 year, lifetime?) I am in, if not, then I can't justify my cash going to Vudu.

I tried the (are they official for support or just user info and hosted by the company?) forums and they didn't seem to address the question. I emailed vudu through the support page yesterday morning on these questions and am still waiting for a response.

The big thing that I am seeing regarding purchased titles is this from the website

If VUDU has to repair or replace your VUDU Equipment, or if content is lost due to a failure of the hard drive in the VUDU Equipment, VUDU will, to the best of its ability and within the rights granted to it by its content licensor's, replace all purchased (but not rented) movies
or other purchased (but not rented) entertainment content that you acquired from VUDU and that is or are stored on your VUDU Equipment ("Content"), for a period of one (1) year from the date of such Content's purchase."

Does the Vudu Vault service make the 1 year thing no longer an issue?

Also, looking at this thread over on the vudu forums
http://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?t=2000

is Nded a vudu rep? Cause his answer in post 3 makes me believe that he is, but the way he answers later on is not someting I would want to deal with if I was a customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post

I just got a Vudu box last week, and I am impressed. I was holding out for PQ, and the HDX content knocked me off the fence. I have watched several titles in HD, and HDX, and can say that HDX is almost as good as Blu-Ray. I did an A/B compare with a Blu-Ray title I own, and I could see just a hair more detail on the Blu-Ray, in freeze frames, but I really had to look for it. This is on my 133" screen.

I have spent many years with Netflix, and it is just a real pain in the behind, trying to get SD content, not to mention HD content, for me, was almost impossible. Then, when I finally got it, some times it was the wrong disc, the disc was scratched etc. I finally gave up, and just started buying all my movies. This started getting expensive, and there were plenty of movies I just wanted to watch once. For me, Vudu is well worth the money. Now I just hope they up the content, and release dates for rentals.

Quote:

Geez Free, netflix has been great for me, but like your experience with neflix, I had the same issues with blockbuster online service.

I am very close to going with vudu for their quality, I just need a few more questions answered. I am one of those consumers a big box store employee hates and I admit it. I like to ask ALOT of questions

Quote:

I like my XL but it is addictive: you can spend a lot of money with just a few clicks of the remote

I would still like to see Vudu add HD Test Patterns and an active screen saver of cover art

I bought the XL through a local integrator and installed it myself; controlled by an RTI remote system: also have the Apple TV

[I have no connection with Vudu other than as a customer]

Quote:

I hear ya on the spending, Im glad I got the $200 credit to get it out of my system

I already second your motion at Vudu forums for the test patterns.

Quote:

yeah from what I have seen HDX quality will be hard to beat with a streaming only delivery.

I still am looking forward to it and maybe this will speed up amazon and tivo with their HD plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nded View Post

SatinKzo - No, I'm not (nor have I ever been) a Vudu employee. I think the later on post that bothered you was my sarcastic response to an irritating poster ,which would be easier to understand if you had been following the forum live at the time, where the other guy was constantly bombarding the Vudu forum with gripes because he is obsessed with complaining about Vudu (he loves his @TV hobby gear). The folks at Vudu bent over backwards to try and please the other guy, but he just kept on disrupting the forum. Eventually he was banned for life for being a troublemaker.

I would be happy to independently answer any questions you have about getting a Vudu.

Quote:

Very good to know. Thank you for your reply. I was not sure and that is why I asked.

I really want to get vudu but I am still waiting for my questions to be answered either here, over at vudu forums, or in an email reply to them that I submitted on Monday (Oct 27th) morning.

I have only gotten 1 answer that the hard drive is not user replaceable, but every manufacturer says that and will not support it and I don't expect a company employee to tell me it can be done even if it can be so I am fine with that answer. But I do have other questions.

Quote:

I have not yet attempted to replace/duplicate the hard drive, so I can't report on how this might work in the field. From a purely technical perspective you gotta believe a dedicated tech with the right gear could do it, but I can't tell you how.

Do you have any other open Vudu questions?

Quote:

yes nded, I do.

Can you read back on the purchase replacement policy question I had a couple posts up (#123)?

Also, do you happen to know what Vudu's policy/charge is for drive replacement when it does fail? Again, I don't want to pay through the nose for a sub $100 part.

*Btw, in my comment about your reply on the vudu forums to the one user... No issues with how you replied I was just thining "man is this guy a vudu employee? I wouldn't want my employees posting that in public to a customer". But going back and looking at other posts I can see why it appears he ticked off a few people there. Nothing wrong with a fellow customer telling someone to scale it back though.

Quote:

You may find the reading at http://www.cepro.com/article/vudu_pl...tent_recovery/ to be helpful in your decision making process.

AFAIK the hard drive replacement cost hasn't been publicy addressed, as we just now reached the point where the first Vudu's sold to the public are 1 year old and are out of the warranty period. I expect that VUDUPatrick will get back to us fairly quickly with an official answer.

Quote:

Thank you Nded, I appreciate your responses.

I must say also, thank you Vudu. you have pushed the competition lately with quality. Looking at all the netflix partnerships now (tivo just added). I am wondering if Tivo/netlfix could match HDX quality since they would essentially have the same hard drive buffer/storage as vudu!

One more question for anyone...
Is vudu still planning Demo kiosks? I thought I read they were not just selling through bestbuy but havine demo systems there... I still can't find one in stock in any bestbuy store within 300 miles of me and I just want to go see one in person. All I have now are screenshots and reviews from users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

The problem with this statement is that the majority of consumers do not care about Blu-ray/HDX quality. The number of people watching full length shows on their laptops is growing dramatically. Availability vs. quality, and availability wins every time. Netflix is going to take over this market. The Netflix streaming player is going to be available for every platform and close-to-DVD-quality is perfect for the majority of consumers.

They just announced that the Netflix streaming player is coming to TiVo S3's and HD's. Its coming to 360's and Blu-ray players and they have a stand alone box. You can use it on PC's and soon to be Mac's.

Where can Vudu compete? I can't figure it out. Their business model is non existent. They offer a service that doesn't add any value over the competition. All it does is allow you to purchase movies. It doesn't play music or photos. It just doesn't compete and it's expensive for what it does.

For the purists out there that want the best quality then there will be Blu-ray.

Quote:

Well, I don't know if there is a "problem" with my statement....

I expect netflix HD quality to be comparable to Vudu, but not vudu HDX at first. I would dearly love for it to offer the HDX quality at first trust me. But I don't see them being able to match it on the non-mass storage based players (Roku, Samsung players). So netflix HD will be HD-lite at first as my best guess and probably HD-lite only on the streaming only players with limited storage. Unless I have missed somewhere a direct head to head comparison against the netflix HD.

As for the purists and guys like me, yes, BD is the way to go to get the best PQ available to the consumer mass market, but sometimes I don't care if say Baby mama is in HD-lite or in Full HD glory from Blu-ray, I just wanna watch it NOW in the best possible PQ that is available NOW

*disclaimer, baby mama came to mind, I don't actually care if I watch it in SD or HD or in No-D

Quote:

I think people understate how many there are that actually care about PQ.

Secondly, there are multiple music services (Amazon, Walmart, Apple), why cant there be more than one for movies (and there should be)?? Dont forget that the watch now content is crap as far as new stuff goes, and the HD will be too. Yeah, its great if you get bored and are sitting in an airport. When Netflix decides to go new release download, youll be paying for it just like Apple and Vudu. Why do you think they are putting it in all these boxes? So they have more people to charge

Netflix didnt take over the rental market (BB Online is doing fine) and even though Netflix might be Walmart, but there is still room for Target.

We all began to think that HDDVD and BR would stand side by side, only thing that killed HDDVD was the studios.Now, to keep revenue up, studios are looking into selling movies any way they can, the more download services the better. I for one dropped both Netflix and BB Online and strictly use my Vudu box.

Quote:

I cant blame em on the video, so it doesnt bother me. Studio spends 100 mil on a movie, just for people to steal it.

Quote:

I have no problem with studios protecting their investments. Not to turn this into a big debate in this thread cause it doesn't belong here. Not sure what it is about movies and music but people seem t be inherently dishonest when it comes to them. For some reason even the most law abiding people think it's ok to make copies of rentals instead of buying a copy.

I do believe that you should be able to make copies of stuff you own though for real backup purposes, not to share with friends.

Quote:

I completely agree with this statement, and it goes along with your earlier question. What happens if you buy a movie and the HDD craps out??

I can see myself buying some big movies like Batman/Iron Man, but only when they are released to buy in HDX.

Quote:

And since my previous post will probably get deleted... (yep, only lasted 45 minutes?)

here is something I hope can stay...

VuduPatrick where are you? I never got any further info from you and no one has responded to my questions that I posted through the vudu support form on the vudu website. It said I should get a response withing a day or two I believe.

VuduDoug, are you associated with Vudu in anyway? I see you have been on, but have not commented yet.

Quote:

Back on topic, rented Journey To The Center Of The Earth, on my Vudu box in HD, and it looked like crap. First title I have been really disappointed with. I read a review on the BD, and it should have been decent looking, but this looked worse than DVD quality. I am wondering what determines the picture quality, since some of the titles (even HD, not HDX ones) I have seen looked pretty decent.

Quote:

It did look a little funny. Makes me glad that HDX starts really rolling out in Nov for new releases.

Quote:

Hey guys, can you be a little clearer on what you mean about Journey looking like "crap". I get the idea abut it being DVD quality (which really isn't bad, but not if it's billed as HD), but was it fuzzy? Pixelated? bad color (although it has been mentioned elsewhere that even the BD looked funky)?

Quote:

The daylight scenes, especially the end looked good, but the underground scenes had whacked out skin tones and funky colors. I get from the review that this wa spart of the look, I just dont think the HD encode was very good.

You really see the lack of PQ in HD during dark scenes, and I think this was part of the problem. I also watched 88 minutes this weekend in HD, and it looked very good.

Quote:

FWIW, I rented/watched Journey HD on Vudu Friday night and it looked good to me. Not sure what problems you encoutered Free. Could you give us a more detailed description of what you saw and didn't like/expect?

Quote:

The contrast too high and made the movie look washed out at times. After reading the bluray review, I think this was just an aspect of the movie. Like I said, the last 5 minutes in the vineyard and some of the beginning scenes looked great.

Quote:

Along with the contrast being too high, and making it looked washed out, I thought that much of it looked really soft and fuzzy. I don't know if it was intended to look that way, but it appeared to be really low resolution. It may be because I watch exclusively HD material, and haven't watched a DVD in a long time, but I remember thinking to myself at one point that it looked almost like VHS.

I agree there were a few scenes, including the vinyard scene at the end that looked much better, but still looked kind of muddy or mushy in terms of detail. The Blu-Ray review I read gave it 4 stars for video, so I assumed it was a VUDU issue.

Quote:

There were a few underground scenes that were exceptional fuzzy, I just chalked it too the high contrast. It was almost like a jacked gamma setting on my old Sony RPLCD.

Quote:

I agree, we need a VUDU thread. I would rather chat with AVS videophiles here, than the people over on the VUDU forum, who might not be as concerned about video quality.

Quote:

Hey moderators - how about forking the last few pages of this thread into a new "Vudu Talk" thread?

Quote:

a Master VUDU Thread would be a great idea

feel free to name it what you like

post #7 of 2011 Old 11-04-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, all the old stuff has been copied into the new Vudu thread.

post #8 of 2011 Old 11-04-2008, 11:18 AM

Hehe, good deal.
post #9 of 2011 Old 11-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

I have the VUDU XL and am very pleased

One thing to keep in mind: if you control this with an integrated control system, you must buy the IR receiver: you cannot apply a standard IR block signal to the connector as it will damage the unit

What I did is tape the VUDU IR receiver to an IR emitter: I downloaded the IR commands from the VUDU site (in my case for an RTI control system) and it works great: the RF remote also works

the only thing I have not figured out is how to control over TCP/IP: not a big deal though: I tried everything including Telnet but no luck

if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #10 of 2011 Old 11-04-2008, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think the only "open" question from the earlier discussion is a response from VuduPatrick (or some other Vudu official) regarding the price and procedure for a HDD replacement out of warranty. Given the fact the the Vudu is just now 1 year old, they haven't had to do such, so I expect them to get back to us with an answer soon.

Any other Vudu questions on peoples minds here?

post #11 of 2011 Old 11-04-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:

I think the only "open" question from the earlier discussion is a response from VuduPatrick (or some other Vudu official) regarding the price and procedure for a HDD replacement out of warranty. Given the fact the the Vudu is just now 1 year old, they haven't had to do such, so I expect them to get back to us with an answer soon.

And more importantly in that question, what happens to owned movies when the HDD craps out.
post #12 of 2011 Old 11-04-2008, 11:31 AM

Something Id like to get clarified:

HDX - Are we going to see all NEW releases in this format (not new releases of old movies, but for NEW movies) from here on out?
post #13 of 2011 Old 11-04-2008, 12:18 PM

The plan is that all new releases offered in HD will also be in HDX. We'd like to offer all new releases in HDX, but it is dependent on the studios offering HD AND offering masters in sufficient quality as to warrant HDX.

Patrick
Sr Product Manager, VUDU
post #14 of 2011 Old 11-04-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:

At the moment, out of warranty service is handled on a case-by-case basis. We of course want our customers to be happy. The hard drive isn't generally replaceable if it fails so we'd likely most often opt for replacement.

Patrick

Patrick
Sr Product Manager, VUDU
post #15 of 2011 Old 11-04-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:

The plan is that all new releases offered in HD will also be in HDX. We'd like to offer all new releases in HDX, but it is dependent on the studios offering HD AND offering masters in sufficient quality as to warrant HDX.

Understood, thats good enough for me. I imagine the big budget flicks I mostly watch will all be carried in HDX, so no worries.
post #16 of 2011 Old 11-05-2008, 08:47 AM

Vudu has now added a movie title search in the movies section of Vudu.com. GREAT add.
post #17 of 2011 Old 11-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

I'm more concerned about what happens if the company goes under. Yes, HDD failure would be a problem in that case too, but not being able to add any more content for the rest of my life doesn't sound like such a great deal either. With physical media you aren't dependent on a single provider. Blockbuster and Hollywood Video took over from the small video rental chains and nothing was lost. When DIVX failed, the players could still play regular DVDs. But another movie rental company that depended on broadcasting over the airwaves recently failed, and their boxes are now worthless doorstops after only a year or two. I would like to see some sort of assurance of an continuing or alternate distribution channel before I drop $300.
post #18 of 2011 Old 11-05-2008, 09:48 AM

If this is a concern for you, you should not be an early adopter, and right now Vudu is early adopter stuff. Good thing about the $200 movie deal, but Im a renter only.
post #19 of 2011 Old 11-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

If this is a concern for you, you should not be an early adopter, and right now Vudu is early adopter stuff. Good thing about the $200 movie deal, but Im a renter only.

agreed

I think this thread should concentrate on technical issues and user experiences

Thanks

post #20 of 2011 Old 11-08-2008, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just checked my Vudu after the latest database updates and they kept their promise of 1000+ HD titles by year end. As of today my Vudu shows a total of 11,602 titles, with 1151 being available in HD (many also in HDX). I think that puts Vudu ahead of Blu-Ray for total HD releases, and the HD catalog has been growing by over 100 titles per week lately. We could have over 2,000 HD Titles on Vudu soon. All with instant viewing, if you have 4MB internet service.

post #21 of 2011 Old 11-09-2008, 12:08 AM

Very cool!
post #22 of 2011 Old 11-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

From a user standpoint - has anyone compared the quality of HDX to Sattelite HD download services?
post #23 of 2011 Old 11-10-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:

From a user standpoint - has anyone compared the quality of HDX to Sattelite HD download services?

Directv HD PPV (On demand that you download the file) is slightly better than Vudu HD

Vudu HDX is much better than Directv HD PPV

Vudu HDX and Directv 1080p tests appear to be very close to equal
post #24 of 2011 Old 11-11-2008, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I noticed in one of the posts from the second extract it seemed to indicate that subtitles are not available with Vudu movies. Is this accurate? No subtitles is a definite deal breaker for me. My wife is Thai, she understands and speaks English just fine but following a movie can be pretty difficult for her because of all the slang, idioms, colloquialisms and innuendo. There is a pretty good selection of BDs with Thai subtitles and if there's a movie she really wants to see that doesn't have them I usually order the Thai DVD release online. I just can't imagine that it would be very difficult for them to encode subtitles into the stream.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #25 of 2011 Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For all intents and purposes there are no subtitles on the Vudu. Some of the "foreign" titles do have english subtitles, but you can't turn them ON/OFF.

post #26 of 2011 Old 11-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I found this following links from the bestbuy deal; i actually would pay more for rentals if i could get them the same day as a video store. What is the release schedule for vudu like? for example can you watch hellboy 2 today?

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
post #27 of 2011 Old 11-11-2008, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post

I found this following links from the bestbuy deal; i actually would pay more for rentals if i could get them the same day as a video store. What is the release schedule for vudu like? for example can you watch hellboy 2 today?

The rental schedule varies by studio policy, which is out of Vudu's control. For example, Hellboy 2 was available for purchase today (actually was available this morning for instant viewing at 12:01 am PST), but Universal delays the rental window 30 days. On December 11 you will be able to rent Hellboy 2 on the Vudu. Most studios enforce the same 30 day delay for VOD rentals - I think Warner Bros. is the exception, with same day rental as DVD release.

This seldom bothers you when you get used to having almost 12,000 titles at your fingertips for instant viewing - there's tons of good stuff to watch right now, so I don't let the studios arbitrary release dates concern me.

post #28 of 2011 Old 11-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks! so if you purchase can you archive off? 250gb isnt going to take too long to fill at 10mbits/sec.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
post #29 of 2011 Old 11-11-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post

Thanks! so if you purchase can you archive off? 250gb isnt going to take too long to fill at 10mbits/sec.

Currently, select purchased content can be archived back to the "VUDU Vault", freeing up room for new purchases and be downloaded again later. At this point HDX content is not purchasable, so there isn't really a limit since it's rental only. Of course, we recognize that our users want to build collections (in SD for now) and need space to do so and hopefully some day we will be able to offer more HD content for purchase.

Patrick

Patrick
Sr Product Manager, VUDU
post #30 of 2011 Old 11-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Any unused portion of the VUDU $200 Movie Credit will expire 4 months after Account activation date.

T/C of bestbuy deal... so i use it or lose it?

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware