post #5641 of 6395 Old 06-10-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

If Verizon allows Netflix to flow unencumbered through their system then Verizon will have to step up its game to make their own product more attractive, and that usually costs money.

And isn't that whole problem? It all comes down to their bottom line. My neighbor was a Tech Manager for Comcast. He told me that they continued to use an antiquated accounting system which they refuse to replace. Why? Because the only ones who would benefit from the issues that it created were their customers.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5642 of 6395 Old 06-10-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

And isn't that whole problem? It all comes down to their bottom line. My neighbor was a Tech Manager for Comcast. He told me that they continued to use an antiquated accounting system which they refuse to replace. Why? Because the only ones who would benefit from the issues that it created were their customers.

Ian
I don't know how many times a Comcast CSR had to put me on hold while they "checked something". Got them to admit that sometimes they had to go to another computer to look at another database. It's well known when they took over antiquated cable systems the only thing they might upgrade was the delivery system.

These "corporate wars" were envisioned by sci-fi writers 40 or 50 years ago. They didn't envision it happening on the battlefield of the Internet. biggrin.gif
post #5643 of 6395 Old 06-10-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Ahh, good ole TWC just keeps cruising along. No gain, no pain. Actually my TWC/Roadrunner (15/1) has been flawless for months and months. No problems streaming Netflix HD 1080p (or anything else) with either my Roku 3 or ATV3.

Don't need Open Connect. Certainly don't need Netflix in 4K. Would need new projector, new receiver, new everything.
Mine has been flawless mostly except for the last two days on my ATV3 where it seems to drop down to stupid SD. The Roku 3 has been fine though and I will be using it as my primary device in the summer because of the headphone jack and the noisy AC in my room.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #5644 of 6395 Old 06-10-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Reading the Netflix news it seems that Verizon even though they have a deal with Netflix they really did not upgrade there networks. They said that they will be slowly updating them.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #5645 of 6395 Old 06-10-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I'm about halfway thru OITNB .. I've had a few instances of video freeze, yet audio continues, then video starts back up and audio is still in sync .. lasting a few seconds at most ..

I chalked it up to new season, getting heavy traffic from folks that are doing binge watches ..

Charter / 60Mbps down .. PS3 ..
I had the video freeze/audio continue on my WDTV Live Saturday morning, trying to watch "Free Birds" (not all that good of a movie.) In fact, the player at one point dropped to it's buffer screen, but nothing was happening (player is connected to an Ethernet switch where I can see the activity.) I stopped, started it up again, and it played for a minute or so before doing that again. I gave up. I then watched an episode of "Star Trek" with no issues. I ended up watching the movie Sunday morning on the bedroom TV, with a Sony BDP-S380 (720p non-adaptive.)

All of this is Comcast 25/5.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #5646 of 6395 Old 06-10-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

I had the video freeze/audio continue on my WDTV Live Saturday morning, trying to watch "Free Birds" (not all that good of a movie.) In fact, the player at one point dropped to it's buffer screen, but nothing was happening (player is connected to an Ethernet switch where I can see the activity.) I stopped, started it up again, and it played for a minute or so before doing that again. I gave up. I then watched an episode of "Star Trek" with no issues. I ended up watching the movie Sunday morning on the bedroom TV, with a Sony BDP-S380 (720p non-adaptive.)

All of this is Comcast 25/5.

Bottom line:
If they don't do Open Connect,
you won't see much HD on your set.

Ian biggrin.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5647 of 6395 Old 06-11-2014, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Mine has been flawless mostly except for the last two days on my ATV3 where it seems to drop down to stupid SD. The Roku 3 has been fine though and I will be using it as my primary device in the summer because of the headphone jack and the noisy AC in my room.
Headphones are definitely your friend in AC season.
reddice likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #5648 of 6395 Old 06-12-2014, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by prscustom24

And today Netflix has had to pull its accusatory pop-ups directed at Verizon.

Where did you see that? Netflix basically told Verizon to stick it, the plates would run until June 16th which was the original plan anyway. And that they may even expand the program.

I would love to see Verizon sue Netflix though as then we'll really see where the problem lies, at least between Verizon and Netflix anyway. But again, Verizon is simply not going to do that, and Netflix knows it.
Blog post back on 6/10, but Netflix since claimed their intent was misconstrued. Nevertheless, I doubt either one wants the visibility of a public trial on this.
post #5649 of 6395 Old 06-12-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
The Netflix ISP Speed Index for May is up. It's obvious that direct connect to FiOS is a work in progress; they actually slipped a bit.
Looked at it since you posted it (thanks ) as usual
ATT U verse is in the bottom 25% only slightly ahead of their POTS line DSL, pitiful . I see they separate ATT POTS line DSL from U Verse . ofc they might have some TV and VOIP customers on ~6 Mbps .

We just got upgraded (force migrated ) from DSL to Uverse FTTN in 04/13 we are at a whopping 18mbps here now
it meets my needs fine though. I'm not uploading torrents or anything like that

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #5650 of 6395 Old 06-12-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

ATV3 is crap again in the evenings on Netflix thanks to that Orange crap show but I am not even freaking watching it so why the hell does it affect other shows.

The Roku 3 is back as the most reliable streamer again.
post #5651 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
ATV3 is crap again in the evenings on Netflix thanks to that Orange crap show but I am not even freaking watching it so why the hell does it affect other shows.

The Roku 3 is back as the most reliable streamer again.
No surprise there current gen Rokus are reasonably decent
they all have the same mem capacity ofc the 3 has the faster
2 core silicon . PS3 and current gen Roku's here all pretty decent steamers all in all as long as the CDN and ISP are in alignment
or ATT isn't screwing around although it's been OK lately
I don't think they want controversy just right now while they are trying to push the Direct TV Buyout through regulatory approval although one would think they already took care of the folks that would approve that

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #5652 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

All the times I disconnected the Roku 3 even stupidly selling it the first time I bought it but I always come back to it again.

As I said before the ATV3 was flawless until they released that stupid Orange original show then I started having problems. As usual around 7PM or earlier it is flawless then after 8PM it starts. I tried watching Clone Wars on it and it started out in HD then after 10 seconds buffered and dropped down to that useless 240p crap so I restarted it and again it started out in HD and then froze after 10 seconds and dropped down to a fuzzy mess but then I left it and it ramped back up to Super HD after about 30 seconds. Fine until about 8 minutes into it when it dropped down to 480p. Quit it and restarted it the episode and then exited the ATV3. Went on the Roku 3 and watched it as it started out poor but ramped up to Super HD in about a minute and the entire episode played without incident.

The ATV3 was so great that I even forgot about it having the stupid adaptive dumb streaming. I even did not care about the lucky ones with Cablevision. Well all that rage and jealous from the November till February is back again. Why can't Time Warner join Open Connect. Now I have to hope for the merger with Comcast.

Cats are the best pets.
post #5653 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 115
There's nothing really wrong with adaptive streaming. The studios love it because it is about impossible to rip a movie from it. The real problem is poor broadband service. FCC chairman Wheeler has now spoken out against state legislatures banning municipal fiber and may try to get a federal law against it:
http://news.yahoo.com/fcc-wants-stat...011509288.html
post #5654 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
There's nothing really wrong with adaptive streaming. The studios love it because it is about impossible to rip a movie from it. [/URL]
I do it all the time with playlater, a cheap, commercially available piece of software.
post #5655 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
I do it all the time with playlater, a cheap, commercially available piece of software.

Playlater sounded so good, I gave it a try .. conceptually great, execution wise, for me anyway, not so great .. PC well exceeded the minimum specs, 60Mbps down ISP ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5656 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
There's nothing really wrong with adaptive streaming. The studios love it because it is about impossible to rip a movie from it. The real problem is poor broadband service. FCC chairman Wheeler has now spoken out against state legislatures banning municipal fiber and may try to get a federal law against it:
\

Why would anyone want to copy a movie from streaming source?
reddice likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #5657 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have to applaud Wheeler on this one ..
“If the people, acting through their elected local governments, want to pursue competitive community broadband, they shouldn’t be stopped by state laws promoted by cable and telephone companies that don’t want that competition,” he writes. “I believe that it is in the best interests of consumers and competition that the FCC exercises its power to preempt state laws that ban or restrict competition from community broadband.”

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5658 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I have to applaud Wheeler on this one ..
“If the people, acting through their elected local governments, want to pursue competitive community broadband, they shouldn’t be stopped by state laws promoted by cable and telephone companies that don’t want that competition,” he writes. “I believe that it is in the best interests of consumers and competition that the FCC exercises its power to preempt state laws that ban or restrict competition from community broadband.”
Talk's cheap, especially in this arena, what he's proposing to do is to invalidate regulations voted into place by the respective states populace. Good luck with that.
post #5659 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Somewhat unrelated to the thread, but I just went to Netflix to search for a title, and it appears that if you have a streaming & DVD subscription, you can't do a "universal" search? In other words, I searched for Game of Thrones and it told me it wasn't available on streaming but it didn't show it as available on DVD until I clicked on DVD, and then had to search again.

Is this new? Admittedly I haven't added much to our queue in a long time since it is so full already.

Really annoying to have to search twice for the same content.
post #5660 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Talk's cheap, especially in this arena, what he's proposing to do is to invalidate regulations voted into place by the respective states populace. Good luck with that.

Just the idea that Wheeler, considering his background, would go on record with that stance is cause for applause .. cheap talk or not ...especially since he's right ..

Uncle Willie

post #5661 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Just the idea that Wheeler, considering his background, would go on record with that stance is cause for applause .. cheap talk or not ...especially since he's right ..
Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with him 100%, and I do hope he makes it happen, but this is Washington and the level of blowhardiness in that town is off the charts. And let's be honest, what's the last meaningful and truly beneficial thing the FCC has done for the public with regards to broadband in the last decade?

Good for him, but it lands firmly at the top of the "I'll believe it when I see it" chart.
post #5662 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with him 100%, and I do hope he makes it happen, but this is Washington and the level of blowhardiness in that town is off the charts. And let's be honest, what's the last meaningful and truly beneficial thing the FCC has done for the public with regards to broadband in the last decade?

Good for him, but it lands firmly at the top of the "I'll believe it when I see it" chart.

Agree on all counts ....

Uncle Willie

post #5663 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiz View Post
Somewhat unrelated to the thread, but I just went to Netflix to search for a title, and it appears that if you have a streaming & DVD subscription, you can't do a "universal" search? In other words, I searched for Game of Thrones and it told me it wasn't available on streaming but it didn't show it as available on DVD until I clicked on DVD, and then had to search again.

Is this new? Admittedly I haven't added much to our queue in a long time since it is so full already.

You could try one of the independent services like instantwatcher.com
http://instantwatcher.com/

It will be a long, long time, I'd guess, before GOT will be on NF all you can eat buffet

Uncle Willie

post #5664 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Just saw this from ArsTechnica,

FCC gets Comcast, Verizon to reveal Netflix’s paid peering deals

The first promoted comment below the article is classic.
post #5665 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by reddice 

Headphones are definitely your friend in AC season.
Or captions!

Memphis Home Builder
post #5666 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
\

Why would anyone want to copy a movie from streaming source?
LMAO

Well Not Netflix as a rule most of their stuff has been around the block.

OTOH with digital rentals the mpeg compression artifacts
,mosquito noise, macroblocking ,bit shaping and other noise are all included at no charge

me .......... I would rather rip a DVD /BD and just steam the steaming video warts and all.

post #5667 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just use these guys on your PC instead ' you can search movies and TV ,You can populate your watch list or play a Netflix movie right from there! Works with all the other services Including Amazon,Red Box,Vudu ,etc , hard madia or cloud also .
It tells you who has what and allows email reminders when stuff comes available it's on my bookmarks bar now !
oh and it's FREE !

http://www.canistream.it/

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-13-2014 at 05:30 PM.
post #5668 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Or captions!
Have you tried getting low bass out of captions

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #5669 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

If you subscribe to both disc & streaming...
While in the Streaming section, when you search for a title that's not available to stream, the search results page will show disc options. You click the 'Choose Discs' button and it takes you to the title's page, where you then add the disc to your queue. It's been this way for a long time, so it's not a 'new', recent change.
Two photos, one for non streaming GoT, the 2nd, streaming (soon) and disc title Star Trek The Motion Picture.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2014-06-13-20-41-02.png (280.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2014-06-13-20-54-47.png (254.6 KB, 6 views)

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!

Last edited by Westly-C; 06-13-2014 at 07:00 PM.
post #5670 of 6395 Old 06-13-2014, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
If you subscribe to both disc & streaming...
While in the Streaming section, when you search for a title that's not available to stream, the search results page will show disc options. You click the 'Choose Discs' button and it takes you to the title's page, where you then add the disc to your queue. It's been this way for a long time, so it's not a 'new', recent change.
Two photos, one for non streaming GoT, the 2nd, streaming (soon) and disc title Star Trek The Motion Picture.
Thanks - what you show is what I expect to see (it gives you the Choose Discs button). However, after messing around on Netflix a bit more, sometimes it seems to work that way for me, and sometimes it doesn't. See the two screenshots:

Works as expected: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17745/got2.JPG

No choose discs button: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17745/GOT.JPG

What seems to be happening is, if I type the full "game of thrones" in the search box and hit enter, I get the expected screen allowing me to choose discs. If I type "game of thr" or something similar and choose Game of Thrones from the auto-completed search menu, I get the screen with no choice of discs!

Bizarre, can you see if you have the same issue?
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page