post #541 of 6399 Old 05-21-2010, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

The only downside is there are some really high quality audio modes that won't work over optical, they can only be sent over HDMI. But I think those audio modes are only generated from Blu-ray, not by any streamers to date.

Exactly...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6399 Old 05-21-2010, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:

The only downside is there are some really high quality audio modes that won't work over optical, they can only be sent over HDMI.

A downside for me would be having to run another cable. I have four devices connected to my television by HDMI through my receiver (TiVo, Xbox, PS3, DVDR--this PC runs HDMI directly into the TV with optical S/PDIF audio, but there's no sound on its HDMI). I'd hate to think of having four more audio cables back there.

Whatever works.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #543 of 6399 Old 05-23-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have Netflix streaming from my Samsung BD player. I just added a video processor and it seems to struggle with Netflix streaming whereas Directv and DVD processing works fine. Is there something unique about the Netflix stream that my VP doesn't understand?

Jack

Jack
post #544 of 6399 Old 05-23-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 672
What do you mnean by struggling?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #545 of 6399 Old 05-26-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I don't know if it's been posted, but since a couple weeks ago NF now has HD streaming of some titles on PC/Mac. You need Silverlight 3 and a good connection. FWIW I had zero luck streaming LOST S1/S2 on my Mac even with Silverlight 3 installed and Safari updated. I don't know why, they were able to do it on HD Nation.
post #546 of 6399 Old 05-26-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

I don't know if it's been posted, but since a couple weeks ago NF now has HD streaming of some titles on PC/Mac. You need Silverlight 3 and a good connection. FWIW I had zero luck streaming LOST S1/S2 on my Mac even with Silverlight 3 installed and Safari updated. I don't know why, they were able to do it on HD Nation.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1249068

No problems on the PC that I've noticed (although I've only tried a couple of things).
post #547 of 6399 Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

That is welcomed news. Been wanting this for years. Can't way to try it out.
Just found this link which lists the HD PC steaming titles.
http://www.netflix.com/WiHD?dev=PC
post #548 of 6399 Old 05-26-2010, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Re-watched the Lost Pilot (after watching the End on Directv) on a Windows Vista 64 PC without problems. It seemed HD and reported video streaming at up 3800 using the suggestion from this this post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post18676187

Not sure how to check if I have Silverlight 3 - but I assume I have. My connection is ~ 4.5Mbps DSL.
post #549 of 6399 Old 05-26-2010, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Re-watched the Lost Pilot (after watching the End on Directv) on a Windows Vista 64 PC without problems. It seemed HD and reported video streaming at up 3800 using the suggestion from this this post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post18676187

Not sure how to check if I have Silverlight 3 - but I assume I have. My connection is ~ 4.5Mbps DSL.

it's working on my work PC in Chrome. Lost S1. But there is a lot of screen tearing and fast motion isn't good. Windows XP, uber T1

edit: it got better after about 5 minutes. still some tearing but not that bad.
post #550 of 6399 Old 05-26-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

LOST Premiere HD (PC):

post #551 of 6399 Old 05-26-2010, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Lost Season 1 is supposed to be streaming in HD on PCs and Macs--it's entry on Netflix.com has that little "(HD Available)" annotation. It only means "HD Available for PCs and Macs".

If you look at http://netflix.com/WiHD?ftr=no , you'll see that there' s a new tab on top of the listing, "Show HD for PC/Mac". As I write this, there are 1303 total titles with available HD encodings, 682 of which have HD streams for the PC/Mac player.

post #552 of 6399 Old 05-26-2010, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I don't know if it's been posted, but since a couple weeks ago NF now has HD streaming of some titles on PC/Mac. You need Silverlight 3 and a good connection. FWIW I had zero luck streaming LOST S1/S2 on my Mac even with Silverlight 3 installed and Safari updated.

Are you using the newer Silverlight 4 on your PC? Perhaps it auto-updated to 4 even if you didn't install it? Maybe that's the difference between the PC and the Mac (Silverlight 4 on the PC and Silverlight 3 on the Mac)?

I would expect an inferior implementation from Microsoft for OS X than for Windows. Or maybe DirectX has the hooks that Silverlight needs, and OS X doesn't.
post #553 of 6399 Old 05-26-2010, 11:26 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Are there any keystrokes to see bitrate in silverlight 4?

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #554 of 6399 Old 05-27-2010, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Watched a few min of steaming HD on my PC last night. Started off blurry but in a few min I had a nice HD picture going. Great news for my projector
post #555 of 6399 Old 05-28-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

Are there any keystrokes to see bitrate in silverlight 4?

Try these two:
Ctl-Shift-Alt-S
Ctl-Shift-Alt-M

I'm still using Silverlight 3 but I think they should still work in version 4. I believe these are tied to the player, not the version of Silverlight you are running.

Note: enter either one of these keystrokes BEFORE you go Full Screen.
post #556 of 6399 Old 05-28-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Neither of those keystrokes works for me in Silverlight 3.0 (Ctl-****-Alt-M? What's ****?).

In any case, I notice that there's a playing-in-HD indicator on the control bar of the player when you're playing a PC track with an available HD encoding. You can see a list of those at:
http://www.netflix.com/WiHD?dev=PC&ftr=no EDIT: The keystrokes work--I hadn't read the "BEFORE you go Full Screen" part. Nice to know.

post #557 of 6399 Old 05-28-2010, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I ran the above stream speed test and got 1500 play and 1500 buffer. It started out at 3500 stream and 2600 buffer and decreased from there. The choppiness slowly disappeared but doesn't seem as fluid as it should be on my laptop. My speedtest.com to a local point shows 9.75 download.

So the question is where is the slowdown? Silverlight 3.0, Comcast internet streaming limiter, wireless in-house?

Jack

Jack
post #558 of 6399 Old 05-28-2010, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

I ran the above stream speed test and got 1500 play and 1500 buffer. It started out at 3500 stream and 2600 buffer and decreased from there. The choppiness slowly disappeared but doesn't seem as fluid as it should be on my laptop. My speedtest.com to a local point shows 9.75 download.

So the question is where is the slowdown? Silverlight 3.0, Comcast internet streaming limiter, wireless in-house?

Jack

I see the opposite on PC playback - it starts at 500 buffer and playback and very blocky - after a minute or so it looks good and seems to steady alternating between 2500 - 3800. Not sure if this is the limit of the source stream as the buffer can be 90s.

Using the same connection with a BD390 the HD material starts great locks solidly on HD streams - connection is ~ 4.5 mbps dsl.
post #559 of 6399 Old 05-29-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I still can't get HD streaming on my Mac over N wireless. I get a solid 1.5MB (not Mb) per second too.
post #560 of 6399 Old 05-29-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you using the newer Silverlight 4 on your PC? Perhaps it auto-updated to 4 even if you didn't install it? Maybe that's the difference between the PC and the Mac (Silverlight 4 on the PC and Silverlight 3 on the Mac)?

I would expect an inferior implementation from Microsoft for OS X than for Windows. Or maybe DirectX has the hooks that Silverlight needs, and OS X doesn't.

I installed Silverlight 3, and I just tried to install 4 but there was no link on the 4 page to install it like there was for 3. Then I clicked some other link and installed an unidentified version, again. Still doesn't run it in HD though.
post #561 of 6399 Old 06-01-2010, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just watched my first two movies streamed from Netflix on my PC and was a bit underwhelmed by the quality. The movies were Pandorum and Moon, both of which exhibited a lot of movement-related blurriness, with camera pans being the worst offender. It looked similar to telecining but was terribly more blatant. So I was wondering if this was normal, something maybe related to the encode, or something I need to look at my PC to try and fix.
post #562 of 6399 Old 06-01-2010, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Both Pandorum and Moon are StarzPlay titles (as are, unfortunately, most of the latest popular theatrical releases). They are not among the highest quality encodings and they're never high-def; you can detect them by the Starz Play logo on their description page and the little pop-up when you mouse over them in a list. Try the stuff that you find here:
http://www.netflix.com/WiHD?st=yr&vt...so=1&ftr=false It's all the titles which have HD encodings for PC and Mac, sorted by release year. BEFORE you switch to fullscreen, type Ctrl-Alt-Shift-M (or Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S) and choose "AV Stats" from the little menu that pops up. If "Playing Bit Rate" reaches 3800 Kbps, you're playing the HD encoding--it won't start at 3800 Kbps, but should gradually rise (you can get rid of the AV Stats overlay by clicking the close button in the upper right corner). Also, you can just look at the "HD" logo on the scrub bar that pops up when you put the cursor on the bottom. When it brightens up, you're playing HD.

If you don't like the quality of those, you're not going to like Netflix Watch Instantly. I just play a little of The Code--it looked pretty sharp. Some of the SD encodings are decent as well (again, not the Starz Play ones).

post #563 of 6399 Old 06-01-2010, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You know, I just watched a little of a few recent Starz Play titles (Pandorum, Up) and frankly they're not bad. Probably as good as most standard-def widescreen films that I've watched on HBO, Starz and Showtime. I don't know about artifacting in high motion scenes, but don't expect AV-o-phile quality from a 1.5 Mbps SD all-you-can-watch-for-no-added-cost-over-disc-rental service. (You may have a different point of view if you subscribed to Netflix for this service, but I've been a Netflix sub since the year that they launched and they added this streaming stuff without asking me for more money).

If you want really good streaming, you need to resort to pay-per-viewing-period services like Wal Mart's Vudu or Microsoft's Zune Video (720p PC downloads and 1080p streaming to Xboxes). You'll get very high quality 4-10 Mbps encodings with digital surround sound.

post #564 of 6399 Old 06-02-2010, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I really have had no complaints with the StarzPlay titles (viewing on 50" plasma through XBOX). Well, some of the aspect ratios are wrong (movies that should be 2.35:1 are presented 16:9 which is annoying)

They aren't HD, but are about the highest quality SD feeds I've seen through the Netflix service. I did not notice the movement described in Moon, so maybe it's something with the PC? I rented the BD of Pandorum before it was available to Watch Instantly so have no input there.
post #565 of 6399 Old 06-02-2010, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

When they first started this, the Starz Play titles used to used to be consistently some of the poorest quality encodings and most the ones I tried were 4:3 pan-and-scan. There was a lot of griping about it in forums. None were acceptable so I didn't watch any of them through. They seem to have reformed .

post #566 of 6399 Old 06-02-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I think when the service first became available, they dumped all these old encodes from Starz on there (I want to say they were from some other old service but can't remember now, but it was a couple thousand if I remembere correctly).

Since then they've gotten better. Wish they'd just give us HD, but I honestly don't think the SD feeds from Starz look that bad now (certainly tolerable to me).
post #567 of 6399 Old 06-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Does Silverlight use the deinterlacing/IVTC capabilities of your video card? I ticked the IVTC setting in my card properties and it did seem to help. The motion is still sort of jerky though, more so than what I normally get with Hulu/Flash. I'll test some more and check out how my other (better) PC handles the streams.
post #568 of 6399 Old 06-02-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

On Microsoft's "What's New in Silverlight 3" page, there's the following bullet-point under a section entitled "Support for Higher Quality Video and Audio":
  • True HD playback in full-screen. Leveraging graphics processor unit (GPU) hardware acceleration, Silverlight experiences can now be delivered in true full-screen HD (720p+).
When I play a Netflix stream on my PC and bring up the AV Stats overlay (ctrl-shift-alt-S) it says "GPU Acceleration Attempted/Enabled: Yes/Yes". I don't know what elements it uses but I'd expect it to use everything applicable to streaming video.

post #569 of 6399 Old 06-02-2010, 02:47 PM

I wouldn't have thought I'd be getting any sort of acceleration on this AGP Geforce 6800, but I am getting the GPU acceleration confirmation on the stats screen.
post #570 of 6399 Old 06-03-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post

I am one of the many people who experiences choppy video.

If I understand the basic issue correctly, "V-Sync" is not currently implemented in Silverlight 3 . It doesn't appear to have been added with this update.

I just upgraded to Silverlight 4 and still experience slight jerkiness despite all my efforts at combining fast computer, fast operating system, fast graphics card, fast internet feed, etc.

Some PC's just don't do well streaming netflix natively I guess. Instead of changing PC's it may be time for TiVo (I'm thinking of cutting cable altogether and going OTA for awhile anyway).

@b_scott : I also had trouble locating the silverlight 4 installer.

Instead of googling for just "silverlight" (which takes you to the silverlight home page mostly aimed at developers), try googling "get silverlight"

Or just go directly to http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/

This page will also show you what version you have installed already if any.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page