64Likes

post #5671 of 6047 Old 06-13-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
If I type "game of thr" or something similar and choose Game of Thrones from the auto-completed search menu, I get the screen with no choice of discs!

Bizarre, can you see if you have the same issue?
Same thing happens, so it's not just you.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 6047 Old 06-13-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Anyone noticed a new designed Netflix website which is whiter. Even there logo is different. This means soon another redesigned UI.
http://mashable.com/2014/06/13/netfl...op-interfaces/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-06-13_235710.jpg (234.1 KB, 16 views)

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 06-13-2014 at 09:04 PM.
post #5673 of 6047 Old 06-13-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 595
I know they changed the logo recently. The new one was on the Orange is the New Black, Season 2.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #5674 of 6047 Old 06-13-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
And the titles in My List has had the font color changed to a very pale blue. Making it difficult to read on the now unusually white bright backgound. The My List and Recently Watched tab/divider bars are now a light pale grey. Making the entire page feel sterile and colorless.

Not an improvement in my book.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #5675 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Flat and white is in now. Stupid though.

I hope the binge watching of that Orange show is over soon to reduce congestion even though I watch shows completely unrelated like Disney shows so I still don't understand why it puts congestion on them. I would like to use my ATV3 again. The Roku 3 is great but it still has the annoying habit of shrinking the credits.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 06-14-2014 at 07:09 AM.
post #5676 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

I hope the binge watching of that Orange show is over soon to reduce congestion even though I watch shows completely unrelated like Disney shows so I still don't understand why it puts congestion on them. I would like to use my ATV3 again. The Roku 3 is great but it still has the annoying habit of shrinking the credits.
I thought that if you go into your account settings on Netflix, and uncheck "Play next episode automatically" that it won't do that. Personally I like when Netflix does that. Then you just bypass the end credits and start the next episode.

LED DLP

post #5677 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

The Atlanta Newspaper reports that the FCC will probe Netflix delivery complaints. They want to unravel the mystery behind the internet traffic jams bogging down the delivery of Netflix videos and other online content. The inquiry was announced Friday by FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler will dissect the routes that video and other data travel to reach Internet service providers such as Comcast and Verizon.
post #5678 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
The Atlanta Newspaper reports that the FCC will probe Netflix delivery complaints. They want to unravel the mystery behind the internet traffic jams bogging down the delivery of Netflix videos and other online content. The inquiry was announced Friday by FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler will dissect the routes that video and other data travel to reach Internet service providers such as Comcast and Verizon.
Maybe public pressure is getting to Wheeler after all.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5679 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Or captions!
Have you tried getting low bass out of captions
No as severely hearing impaired, I'm just thankful for captions.

Memphis Home Builder
post #5680 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Quote:

See previous post for story link.
Postmoderndesign likes this.
post #5681 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mine does not have to route far at all just from Newark to Deleware. It seems that Amazon Instant and the Watch Disney channels route to California and stream much better. That is about 100 miles for Netflix but over 3000 miles for the other services and they stream more reliable. I don't get it.
post #5682 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 550
[quote=Postmoderndesign;24961457]
Quote:

All Wheeler need do is have a staff member read thru some of the lively discussion we've had on this thread in the past .. mystery solved without spending a nickel of Tax Payer money on a "probe" ..
mailiang and Postmoderndesign like this.

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #5683 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
I do it all the time with playlater, a cheap, commercially available piece of software.

Playlater sounded so good, I gave it a try .. conceptually great, execution wise, for me anyway, not so great .. PC well exceeded the minimum specs, 60Mbps down ISP ..
These record protected streaming services via screen capture which is second generation and often with dropped frames unless you've got a souped up gaming computer. I've played with this a bit since I realized that was what Chromecast was doing except it was "teleconferencing" from the Chrome browser on the PC to the Chromecast on the TV. It also would get overloaded and give the fabled "blue screen of death" on the PC.

The free Simple Screen Recorder on Linux does a decent job of recording and Audials Moviebox Record has a working demo you can try on Windows (will record 10 minutes).

Why would anyone do this? Well with some services not all content is available on TV but only via browser.
post #5684 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Why would anyone do this? Well with some services not all content is available on TV but only via browser.

The only real reason I gave it a shot was NF rotating material out of the streaming library that I wanted to watch but just could not get to .. at any rate, Playlater was a fail for me ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #5685 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
All Wheeler need do is have a staff member read thru some of the lively discussion we've had on this thread in the past .. mystery solved without spending a nickel of Tax Payer money on a "probe" ..

That's a good one!

Ian
mgkdragn likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5686 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but there's a lot of intelligent discussion going on here, so thought I'd ask.

Someone was explaining the basic technical differences between streaming services like Netflix compared to iTunes. The essence of it was that Netflix just puts it out there and your system (router, ISP, set-up, etc) has to do most of the work, whereas with iTunes, they do a co-server type thing (this is where my memory gets fuzzy) so that they are sharing some of the work. My understanding is that it requires less raw internet speed and also allows for fast-forwarding, for example, that Netflix doesn't do.

Could someone please explain the technical differences between these two types of streaming? And do we ever think that Netflix might end up doing something like that? It seems to me that it would alleviate all the need for special deals with ISPs, concerns with where the internet path travels, bottlenecks during peak periods, bandwidth caps, etc. I mean, basically all the complaints customers have with Netflix streaming.

FYI, I have business class Comcast at around 40 Mbps hard wired to an ATV3. I get decent performance now with Netflix, but with a lot of monkeying around and the cost of hardwiring. I'd love to be able to fast-forward and get better sound than Dolby Digital 5.1. For starters...
post #5687 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Why would anyone want to copy a movie from streaming source?
Quote:
Because content is not up on streaming sites forever. Playlater has served me well for kid content for my kids. record it then add it to plex for easy syncing on devices in order to play them locally.
post #5688 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
Quote:
Why would anyone want to copy a movie from streaming source?
Quote:
Because content is not up on streaming sites forever. Playlater has served me well for kid content for my kids. record it then add it to plex for easy syncing on devices in order to play them locally.
I rather buy it on DVD or BluRay and still own it forever. That is what I did with some shows when Netflix pulled some of the content I was watching.

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #5689 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuschweb View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but there's a lot of intelligent discussion going on here, so thought I'd ask.

Someone was explaining the basic technical differences between streaming services like Netflix compared to iTunes. The essence of it was that Netflix just puts it out there and your system (router, ISP, set-up, etc) has to do most of the work, whereas with iTunes, they do a co-server type thing (this is where my memory gets fuzzy) so that they are sharing some of the work. My understanding is that it requires less raw internet speed and also allows for fast-forwarding, for example, that Netflix doesn't do.

Could someone please explain the technical differences between these two types of streaming? And do we ever think that Netflix might end up doing something like that? It seems to me that it would alleviate all the need for special deals with ISPs, concerns with where the internet path travels, bottlenecks during peak periods, bandwidth caps, etc. I mean, basically all the complaints customers have with Netflix streaming.

FYI, I have business class Comcast at around 40 Mbps hard wired to an ATV3. I get decent performance now with Netflix, but with a lot of monkeying around and the cost of hardwiring. I'd love to be able to fast-forward and get better sound than Dolby Digital 5.1. For starters...

I don't think there is a lot of substantial differences in how one service delivers streaming content over another, at least in the most simplistic sense .. they host material and send it down the pipe .. different hardware/software, etc, sure ..

NF will allow you to fast forward .. I can't speak for all devices, but my PS3's get Dolby Digital 5.1-channel audio on material that has it ..

post #5690 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought that if you go into your account settings on Netflix, and uncheck "Play next episode automatically" that it won't do that. Personally I like when Netflix does that. Then you just bypass the end credits and start the next episode.
I grew up when TV Networks use to show the full credits so I like them. I have the play next episode unchecked but it still shrinks the credits. At least it is better with the Disney shows as many show content during the end credits and it use to shrink them during the content. Now it waits until the credits are just about over a few seconds left after the content finishes before shrinking.

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #5691 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
I've played with this a bit since I realized that was what Chromecast was doing except it was "teleconferencing" from the Chrome browser on the PC to the Chromecast on the TV.

What Chromecast is doing for what streaming services? As I understand it, for Netflix and YouTube it runs players on the device, controlled from a 2nd screen via the DIAL protocol. This is how YouTube and Netflix are controlled by 2nd screen devices (PCs, iOS and Android portables) on Roku 3.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #5692 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Quote:

I grew up when TV Networks use to show the full credits so I like them. I have the play next episode unchecked but it still shrinks the credits. At least it is better with the Disney shows as many show content during the end credits and it use to shrink them during the content. Now it waits until the credits are just about over a few seconds left after the content finishes before shrinking.
I grew up when there were full credits and no fast forwarding. So you didn't have a choice. But I don't typically watch the credits now unless there is some song I like or there is content playing in the background of the credits that is specific to that episode.
But ideally I will skip over the opening and closing of a show to save time.

LED DLP

post #5693 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Quote:
I've played with this a bit since I realized that was what Chromecast was doing except it was "teleconferencing" from the Chrome browser on the PC to the Chromecast on the TV.

What Chromecast is doing for what streaming services? As I understand it, for Netflix and YouTube it runs players on the device, controlled from a 2nd screen via the DIAL protocol. This is how YouTube and Netflix are controlled by 2nd screen devices (PCs, iOS and Android portables) on Roku 3.
Well obviously NOT Netflix and YouTube but say you want to watch "Hannibal" on your TV via Hulu+. They don't have the rights to stream it to your TV so you play it on Chrome and "cast" it to the TV.
post #5694 of 6047 Old 06-14-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Quote:

Well obviously NOT Netflix and YouTube but say you want to watch "Hannibal" on your TV via Hulu+. They don't have the rights to stream it to your TV so you play it on Chrome and "cast" it to the TV.

Interesting. I notice that Chromecast has a Hulu app now, but you're saying that if you ask for a Hulu title which can only be played on a PC it will send it from the 2nd screen device to the television as video?

I see a tech blog post that says that Hulu didn't use DIAL for its casting from portables to game consoles but will implement it in the future to cover additional devices.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #5695 of 6047 Old 06-15-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Quote:
If I type "game of thr" or something similar and choose Game of Thrones from the auto-completed search menu, I get the screen with no choice of discs!

Bizarre, can you see if you have the same issue?
Same thing happens, so it's not just you.
I just did it and the same thing happened. Then I selected DVDs on the menu at the top and typed it again and the choose disks menu came up. The initial search was for streaming content, I guess that's the default. Just click on "DVDs" before you search.
post #5696 of 6047 Old 06-15-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I think one day Netflix is going to announce that they are stopping the disc by mail service and are going to be streaming only. They lose more money on shipping discs as the postage goes up. When the disc service was combined I rarely used it just for a few movies. I never used it for TV series as it will take forever to watch as they send me one disc with 4 episodes then I have to send it back to get another disc with 4 episodes. It was not worth the hassle. Streaming is what Netflix is pushing as they never even advertise the disc service anymore.

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #5697 of 6047 Old 06-15-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I think one day Netflix is going to announce that they are stopping the disc by mail service and are going to be streaming only. They lose more money on shipping discs as the postage goes up. When the disc service was combined I rarely used it just for a few movies. I never used it for TV series as it will take forever to watch as they send me one disc with 4 episodes then I have to send it back to get another disc with 4 episodes. It was not worth the hassle. Streaming is what Netflix is pushing as they never even advertise the disc service anymore.
Only recently did the streaming profits surpass the disc profits. Things are certainly changing. I used to rarely have an issue getting a new BD from Netflix. But I've had one disc each week for three weeks not get shipped to me. Prior, it might be two years to hit that number. So I will be dropping my disc plan from four BDs out down to one. So they will certainly be getting less money from me. I will still stream content but I will now just get more 2D rentals from www.3d-blurayrental.com and RedBox since I can't rely on Netflix anymore.

LED DLP

post #5698 of 6047 Old 06-15-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
I think one day Netflix is going to announce that they are stopping the disc by mail service and are going to be streaming only. They lose more money on shipping discs as the postage goes up.
Until very recently all of Netflix profits came from disk rental. Of course one day Netflix will drop disk rental. A lot of people hope they will continue as long as it's profitable. As someone who never really used disk rental I wonder why you look forward to it going away.

It will be years before Netflix streaming can match Blu-ray quality, but Sony and Netflix couldn't care less.

Last edited by htwaits; 06-15-2014 at 12:07 PM.
post #5699 of 6047 Old 06-15-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
On his 39 inch display it does not much matter.
post #5700 of 6047 Old 06-15-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting. I notice that Chromecast has a Hulu app now, but you're saying that if you ask for a Hulu title which can only be played on a PC it will send it from the 2nd screen device to the television as video?
No, you play the episode on a Chrome browser on the PC with the Chromecast plug-in installed and it was broadcast that tab to the Chromecast connected to the TV. You can read up on what Chromecast does on Google Play.

I got the Chromecast because it was only $35 and allowed me to have SuperHD without buying a new BD player. Also Hulu+ was one the first apps on Chromecast. Development for it is open now and it doesn't even require the Google API just Google Play Services which means that Amazon could have made an app if they wanted too but obviously didn't want too.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page