164Likes

post #5701 of 6649 Old 06-15-2014, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Mine does not have to route far at all just from Newark to Deleware. It seems that Amazon Instant and the Watch Disney channels route to California and stream much better. That is about 100 miles for Netflix but over 3000 miles for the other services and they stream more reliable. I don't get it.
This is why it continues to be my suspicion that the issues tend to be more at the far-end data centers than with the network. In times of peak traffic, the servers aren't well load-balanced, or several on-demand services are in competition for the same server capacity, and in the worst case wholesale load-shedding occurs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 6649 Old 06-15-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
It will be years before Netflix streaming can match Blu-ray quality, but Sony and Netflix couldn't care less.
Nor could 99.9% of consumers . Netflix's 720p is more than good enough for most people, much less "Super HD".

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #5703 of 6649 Old 06-15-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
...you're saying that if you ask for a Hulu title which can only be played on a PC it will send it from the 2nd screen device to the television as video?
No, you play the episode on a Chrome browser on the PC with the Chromecast plug-in installed and it was broadcast that tab to the Chromecast connected to the TV. You can read up on what Chromecast does on Google Play.

Ah--you play the title in Chrome and cast Chrome to your Chromecast. People could do to TV-connect DLNA clients via things like TVersity.

I don't have any devices to which Chrome can be cast. You can cast Netflix and YouTube to both Roku 3 and TiVo Roamio/Premiere (I assume that you can cast YouTube to other 2nd and 3rd gen Roku models, as well as Netflix to the Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, which has the newer Netflix "channel").

post #5704 of 6649 Old 06-15-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Quote:
It will be years before Netflix streaming can match Blu-ray quality, but Sony and Netflix couldn't care less.
Nor could 99.9% of consumers . Netflix's 720p is more than good enough for most people, much less "Super HD".
I'm assuming you're in the tiny group.
post #5705 of 6649 Old 06-15-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I thought that if you go into your account settings on Netflix, and uncheck "Play next episode automatically" that it won't do that. Personally I like when Netflix does that. Then you just bypass the end credits and start the next episode.
I grew up when TV Networks use to show the full credits so I like them. I have the play next episode unchecked but it still shrinks the credits. At least it is better with the Disney shows as many show content during the end credits and it use to shrink them during the content. Now it waits until the credits are just about over a few seconds left after the content finishes before shrinking.
S##t I grew up when the TV networks actually broadcasted something anyone with a sound mind would want to watch every now and then !
Watching network primetime in 2014
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	788.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	120194  

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-16-2014 at 01:54 AM.
post #5706 of 6649 Old 06-15-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:

To an extent. I can appreciate higher PQ and AQ, but for the great majority of what I watch, the highest quality is not necessary for enjoyment. I "watch" many things while working puzzles on my tablet .

Right now I've been streaming TV series to my Roku with it set to 720p output in order to conserve my bandwidth cap during the summer broadcast TV hiatus, during which I stream 4-5 hours a day. My current cap is 400GB, going down to 300GB next month as I drop from my 100 Mbps cable network service tier down to a 60 Mbps one (I'd been on a promotional $80/month rate for a year which is going up to $100/month, while the 60 Mbps tier is $60/month--100 Mbps has been nice, but not worth another $40). 5800 Kbps "Super HD" + 192 Kbps DD+ sound is 2.7 GB/hour, where as 3000 Kbps 720p + DD+ sound is 1.4 GB/hour. Netflix 720p is decent and certainly good enough for most TV that I watch. If I really care I'll watch on something else (or set the Roku back to 1080p temporarily). If I really, really care I'll get the disc .

The worst thing is that my provider, Cox, doesn't have an overage charge scheme; if you blow through your cap, they issue a warning and threaten to cancel your service if you keep doing it . Other network services with caps use it to make some extra money from their customers who exceed them, with overage fees. I'd be perfectly willing to pay an additional $10 for every addition 50 GB.

I may end up moving this summer; it might be good to end up in a TWC neighborhood inasmuch as they don't have any caps. Of course, they're not a Netflix Open Connect partner like Cox.

Netflix 720p is decent and certainly good enough for most TV that I watch.

post #5707 of 6649 Old 06-15-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=mailiang;24961641]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Maybe public pressure is getting to Wheeler after all.

Ian

Or maybe he's waiting for the isp's to wet his beak a little more

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #5708 of 6649 Old 06-15-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwist24992906
Like I posted before, unless the FCC re-classifies ISP's as telecoms, no matter what they find, they can't enforce any changes without the support of the courts. At this point, it's just political posturing.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 06-15-2014 at 08:20 PM.
post #5709 of 6649 Old 06-15-2014, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 5MB speed at home and I watch all of my Netflix movies and series at 1080 resolution, no complaint whatsoever
post #5710 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Quote:
Like I posted before, unless the FCC re-classifies ISP's as telecoms, no matter what they find, they can't enforce any changes without the support of the courts. At this point, it's just political posturing.

Ian
Ian ,
I have no doubt you are 100% correct in that you know a lot more about that side of the business than most
I just get to read the media spin and sometimes a decent post here .

Not to mention as you say if they don't have the authority thay don't have it ....for now anyway
Which way do you think the courts might swing on that if they intervene ?
I've always thought ISP's should be regulated as telecoms. I could be wrong though your thoughts on that ?
I just don't see any compelling evidence that ISP's GAS about the subscribers .

regards

post #5711 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
If you subscribe to both disc & streaming...
While in the Streaming section, when you search for a title that's not available to stream, the search results page will show disc options. You click the 'Choose Discs' button and it takes you to the title's page, where you then add the disc to your queue. It's been this way for a long time, so it's not a 'new', recent change.
Two photos, one for non streaming GoT, the 2nd, streaming (soon) and disc title Star Trek The Motion Picture.
Thanks - what you show is what I expect to see (it gives you the Choose Discs button). However, after messing around on Netflix a bit more, sometimes it seems to work that way for me, and sometimes it doesn't. See the two screenshots:

Works as expected: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17745/got2.JPG

No choose discs button: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17745/GOT.JPG

What seems to be happening is, if I type the full "game of thrones" in the search box and hit enter, I get the expected screen allowing me to choose discs. If I type "game of thr" or something similar and choose Game of Thrones from the auto-completed search menu, I get the screen with no choice of discs!

Bizarre, can you see if you have the same issue?
I couldn't get mine to act up using Firefox. What browser are you using?

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #5712 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I couldn't get mine to act up using Firefox. What browser are you using?
Same behavior in FF and Chrome for me.
post #5713 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

Ian ,
I have no doubt you are 100% correct in that you know a lot more about that side of the business than most
I just get to read the media spin and sometimes a decent post here .

Not to mention as you say if they don't have the authority thay don't have it ....for now anyway
Which way do you think the courts might swing on that if they intervene ?
I've always thought ISP's should be regulated as telecoms. I could be wrong though your thoughts on that ?
I just don't see any compelling evidence that ISP's GAS about the subscribers .

regards
The DC ruling made it very clear. Now it's up to the FCC. The problem is, Wheeler has already announced that he does not favor re-classification. It's possible that pressure from the public and congressional GOP members, who favor strong net neutrality rules, may be changing his mind, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Ian
mgkdragn likes this.

post #5714 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I grew up when there were full credits and no fast forwarding. So you didn't have a choice. But I don't typically watch the credits now unless there is some song I like or there is content playing in the background of the credits that is specific to that episode.
But ideally I will skip over the opening and closing of a show to save time.

If I need credits, especially for music I might like, I just Google it ..

Quote:
I think one day Netflix is going to announce that they are stopping the disc by mail service and are going to be streaming only. They lose more money on shipping discs as the postage goes up. When the disc service was combined I rarely used it just for a few movies. I never used it for TV series as it will take forever to watch as they send me one disc with 4 episodes then I have to send it back to get another disc with 4 episodes. It was not worth the hassle. Streaming is what Netflix is pushing as they never even advertise the disc service anymore.

It's pretty much what Hastings has said since he founded the company .. one of the reasons for the name "Netflix" ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5715 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Quote:

Ian
Ian, I've always found it curious that ISP's are not classified as telecoms. Many, if not all, ISP's provide TV, internet and phone service on one wire.

Once they started providing telephone service they should have been reclassified on the spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	telecom.png
Views:	13
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	120578  
mailiang likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #5716 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I've said before, classifying an ISP as a telecom is a double edged sword .. it helps open up "metered" use, which I believe the providers lave licked their chops over getting for a long time .. how about an Internet Meter next to your electric meter / gas meter / .. ??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5717 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ian wrote,

The DC ruling made it very clear. Now it's up to the FCC. The problem is, Wheeler has already announced that he does not favor re-classification. It's possible that pressure from the public and congressional GOP members, who favor strong net neutrality rules, may be changing his mind, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Ian
Thanks for the clarification Ian .
any comments on metered use that mgkdragn brought up below I remember Sen.John McCain and possibly others advocating a la cart TV I do not think that was Sen McCain's intent I believe he wanted lower bills and free choice of programming

Quote:
mgkdragn wrote ,

I've said before, classifying an ISP as a telecom is a double edged sword .. it helps open up "metered" use, which I believe the providers lave licked their chops over getting for a long time .. how about an Internet Meter next to your electric meter / gas meter / .. ??

You mean one of these? ☺

Good point but an unpleasant consequence if it happened to say the least !

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-16-2014 at 12:59 PM.
post #5718 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
All landline phone services are classified as telecoms. Haven't seen meters used for these type services yet. If they did, I'd be brokering them as well. I make my money as the meter turns.

Ian

post #5719 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
All landline phone services are classified as telecoms. Haven't seen meters used for these type services yet. If they did, I'd be brokering them as well. I make my money as the meter turns.

Ian
When I was growing up we had a metered party line; the phone bill would show how many message units we used and we were charged for each message unit we went over the monthly allotment.

No, we didn't have a spinning meter next to our gas meter or electric meter or water meter, but the switching office tracked it so no one came out to check our phone meter.

On the other hand, where my parents moved after retiring the water was unmetered, which shows that just because something is a utility, it doesn't necessarily have to be metered.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #5720 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:

Ian

My AT&T Business line still hit's me for long distance per minute .. I call that a meter without a physical meter ..

ISP's can easily track time on line .. just sayin' I'm sure they would like to charge on a usage basis .. or, at the minimum, get into a tier style scenario ..

I'm sure you would not complain ..
mailiang and Boxozaxu like this.

Uncle Willie

post #5721 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My AT&T Business line still hit's me for long distance per minute .. I call that a meter without a physical meter ..

ISP's can easily track time on line .. just sayin' I'm sure they would like to charge on a usage basis .. or, at the minimum, get into a tier style scenario ..

I'm sure you would not complain ..
Especially if I was working for them.

Ian
mgkdragn likes this.

Last edited by mailiang; 06-16-2014 at 01:45 PM.
post #5722 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

When I was working (before I retired ) we had our own private satellite long distance telephone and data networks (leased channels on telecom satellites ) in addition to local and long distance POTS line telecom services . With the sat net you would dial into a downlink (we had and still have them almost everywhere globally ) then you would dial out on the local system . ofc our dishes were considerably larger than a Direct TV dish and the data cables
going to the dish were the size of a garden hose . I'm sure that has been updated by now .

They may be using *some VOIP now but that may not be as secure as we would ordinarily require especially on international or sensitive calls so in a lot of cases the sat net may still be used . We used the web for the more routine stuff but it went up to the dish and was transmitted /recieved
over the sat's . You could re load a Unix PC with decent size hdd with lots data apps /programs and OS in about 20 min. ofc the PC's were connected to the SAT transceivers with fibre optic.

It was a cake walk (almost ) if a hdd went down because it was always mirror imaged in real time on our off site mainframes.

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-16-2014 at 02:32 PM.
post #5723 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Had a internet outage last night for 6 hours 1AM till 6 AM and now I have a different IP address and my Netflix streams are total crap now. I watched a SD program and it started out terrible taking over a minute to ramp up. Now Clone Wars only played at 720p best on the Roku 3 while dropping down to SD about 4 times. I notice that I am now routed to Washington instead of NYC.
My ping has timeouts too.
C:\Users\Tony>tracert 108.175.41.159

Tracing route to ipv4_1.lagg0.c060.atl001.ix.nflxvideo.net [108.175.41.159]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.asus.com [192.168.1.1]
2 23 ms 12 ms 9 ms user-0cdfjg1.cable.mindspring.com [24.215.206.1]

3 17 ms 11 ms 17 ms 68.173.217.197
4 204 ms 184 ms 122 ms agg23.nyclnyrg01r.nyc.rr.com [184.152.112.63]
5 16 ms 17 ms 21 ms 107.14.19.24
6 12 ms 26 ms 11 ms 107.14.19.153
7 30 ms 32 ms 37 ms ae9.edge3.Newark1.Level3.net [4.68.63.21]
8 44 ms 40 ms 37 ms ae-32-52.ebr2.Newark1.Level3.net [4.69.156.62]
9 150 ms 143 ms 149 ms ae-4-4.ebr2.Washington1.Level3.net [4.69.132.101
]
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 89 ms 85 ms 77 ms 4.30.235.158
13 124 ms 74 ms 74 ms ipv4_1.lagg0.c060.atl001.ix.nflxvideo.net [108.1
75.41.159]

This sucks as Amazon Instant earlier gave me zero issues. I am playing the El Fuente clip on the ATV and it took over 4 minutes to get out of 1280x720 and now the highest I can achieve is 4300 kbps 1920x1080 which I am fine with.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Toshiba 32RV530U - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #5724 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The Roku 3 is playing the El Fuente clip at 5800 kbps.
Also my Asus router has more hops now from my Roku here.
Quote:
Proto NATed Address Destination Address State
tcp 192.168.1.19:34958 108.175.41.159:80 CLOSE
tcp 192.168.1.19:55167 63.148.207.159:80 ESTABLISHED
tcp 192.168.1.19:34466 23.21.90.227:80 ESTABLISHED
tcp 192.168.1.19:34467 23.21.90.227:80 ESTABLISHED
tcp 192.168.1.19:55180 63.148.207.159:80 ESTABLISHED
tcp 192.168.1.19:34972 108.175.41.159:80 ESTABLISHED
tcp 192.168.1.19:58664 63.148.207.141:80 ESTABLISHED
tcp 192.168.1.19:58663 63.148.207.141:80 ESTABLISHED
tcp 192.168.1.19:43083 63.148.207.89:80 ESTABLISHED
tcp 192.168.1.19:34465 23.21.90.227:80 ESTABLISHED
tcp 192.168.1.19:34749 63.148.207.135:80 ESTABLISHED
tcp 192.168.1.19:58665 63.148.207.141:80 ESTABLISHED
tcp 192.168.1.19:34966 108.175.41.159:80 ESTABLISHED
tcp 192.168.1.19:34967 108.175.41.159:80 ESTABLISHED
tcp 192.168.1.19:41920 63.148.207.73:80 ESTABLISHED
tcp 192.168.1.19:43082 63.148.207.89:80 ESTABLISHED
tcp 192.168.1.19:34968 108.175.41.159:80 ESTABLISHED
tcp 192.168.1.19:33555 23.21.231.239:80 TIME_WAIT
tcp 192.168.1.19:33556 23.21.231.239:80 TIME_WAIT
tcp 192.168.1.19:49662 50.16.209.170:80 TIME_WAIT
tcp 192.168.1.19:34969 108.175.41.159:80 TIME_WAIT
tcp 192.168.1.19:36715 23.21.213.201:80 TIME_WAIT
tcp 192.168.1.19:49660 50.16.209.170:80 TIME_WAIT
tcp 192.168.1.19:49661 50.16.209.170:80 TIME_WAIT
tcp 192.168.1.19:36717 23.21.213.201:80 TIME_WAIT
tcp 192.168.1.19:36716 23.21.213.201:80 TIME_WAIT
udp 192.168.1.19:52808 8.8.8.8:53 UNREPLIED

Cats are the best pets.
post #5725 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay http://downrightnow.com/netflix is showing outages. Maybe the NYC server is down so it is rerouting me. If anyone else on TWC or other ISP's near the NYC metro can do a trace route to see if it is down would be great.

Cats are the best pets.
post #5726 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Not near NY actually quite the opposite bay area no. Cal . I was getting persistent intermittent slow downs in general on the web Saturday(very unusual ) I cleaned out the browser cache and local DNS cache .

ofc that wouldn't apply to Netflix on something other than a PC (I think ) maybe a re boot does that for net players DPD's and TV's
Then I rebooted the ATT Uverse RGW (gateway /router ) and refreshed it's ip address seemed to help OTOH I was not watching Netflix at the time.

I've had to re boot the Rokus occasionally (that's usually when they won't wake up from sleep though) PS3 is bulletproof (as long as PSN or Netflix isn't wonkey at the time )

post #5727 of 6649 Old 06-16-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I rebooted the Roku 3 after Clone Wars and every thing I watched played fine. Still wondering why it is not routing me though NYC.

Cats are the best pets.
post #5728 of 6649 Old 06-17-2014, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I rebooted the Roku 3 after Clone Wars and every thing I watched played fine. Still wondering why it is not routing me though NYC.
From what I've read here Netflix is liable to route a number of different ways I'm not far from their HQ and neither my ISP (ATT) data center /servers maybe 60 mi . ATT is in San Jose . Never Checked Netflix routing but ATT to me is consistent.

post #5729 of 6649 Old 06-17-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Played the El Fuente clip on the ATV3 and right away it started out in 5800 kbps and stayed there. Why can't I get that in the evening just because people of binge watching that prison series even though I am not watching it should not put no load on Clone Wars or Disney comedies.

Cats are the best pets.
post #5730 of 6649 Old 06-17-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Re-watched that episode of Clone Wars no problems on the ATV3. Loaded quickly in HD and stayed there. So annoying that I can no longer achieve that in the evenings because of the stupid originals.

Cats are the best pets.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page