Netflix streaming quality - Page 192 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 146Likes

post #5731 of 6468 Old 06-17-2014, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anyone tried the 4k Breading Bad stream yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5732 of 6468 Old 06-17-2014, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
the stupid originals.
Yes, those stupid originals that have been massive hits for Netflix. How silly of them.
mailiang, StinDaWg and tubetwister like this.
post #5733 of 6468 Old 06-17-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I don't care who watches them. What I care about is that somehow they put stress on what I am watching which is completely unrelated.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #5734 of 6468 Old 06-17-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Wow Originals streaming stress. Who knew?
mailiang and reddice like this.

Gary J
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5735 of 6468 Old 06-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 119
One of the advantages I found in the past for having both the disc and streaming plans for Netflix is that during peak streaming times and during outages I can still play the discs. For example, a few years ago it worked very well near Christmas time when I would stream during the weekday and got great streams (admittedly SD since that is what my best TV at the time was) and played DVDs in the evenings and weekends, and had no problems. I would read of others streaming in the evenings and having various issues.

Somehow, now that I am retired, I seem to have less time for discs and streaming, but now I have the equipment so I can do both in HD.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #5736 of 6468 Old 06-17-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Reddice, I seriously doubt that the number of people streaming a recently introduced show, is markedly different from the same number of people all streaming different material during your regular viewing times before that show was added. Note-I'm not mocking your frustration over the issues you constantly encounter...it is a puzzle as to why you keep experiencing trouble on such a consistent basis.

I wish you could find a solution to this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #5737 of 6468 Old 06-17-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Re-watched that episode of Clone Wars no problems on the ATV3. Loaded quickly in HD and stayed there. So annoying that I can no longer achieve that in the evenings because of the stupid originals.

Let me first offer up a sincere apology for my binge watch of "Orange is the New Black" .. and I will apologize in advance for "Hemlock Grove" when it hits, because I plan on doing the same thing .. if by any slim stretch of the imagination, this is interfering somehow with your complete satisfaction of "The Wonder Years", "The Dick Van Dyke Show", "Wallace & Gromit", "Leave It to Beaver" or "Saved by the Bell" .. it is purely unintentional on my part ..

But I can't help but wonder, if you have info supporting the claim that the "stupid originals" are disrupting the feng shui, would not the "stupid originals" also be disrupted .. ?? Or is this limited to "stupid old stuff" only .. ??
mailiang likes this.

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5738 of 6468 Old 06-17-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Funny mgkdragn. I have not watched those classic shows yet except for Leave It to Beaver which is in HD and Saved by the Bell and that is only in SD which except for poor startup quality I never have trouble streaming anything that is only in SD.

Also I have my reasons why I hate the originals because of the constant sex and swearing. I remember that back when I had cable in the 90's watching some of the HBO originals the last I ever watched the cursing (really just the f bomb) really peeved me off. Also for those who watch them fine I still don't understand why they put stress on what I am watching. They really should have there most popular content on a different CDN wait they do for those on Cablevision.

Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 06-17-2014 at 03:21 PM.
post #5739 of 6468 Old 06-17-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Funny mgkdragn. I have not watched those classic shows yet except for Leave It to Beaver which is in HD and Saved by the Bell and that is only in SD which except for poor startup quality I never have trouble streaming anything that is only in SD.

Also I have my reasons why I hate the originals because of the constant sex and swearing. I remember that back when I had cable in the 90's watching some of the HBO originals the last I ever watched the cursing (really just the f bomb) really peeved me off. Also for those who watch them fine I still don't understand why they put stress on what I am watching. They really should have there most popular content on a different CDN wait they do for those on Cablevision.

You know I'm just playin' wid ya .. it's all about the love ..
Although it would be very nice, if at some time when you see fit, totally up to you, to post one thing you really like about NF .. or even two things ..

In fact, I'll start ..
1) NF provides one of, if not the best, entertainment values in the Modern World
2) It may have a wart once in a while but the good folks at NF will try their best to make it right .. and sometimes, even actually cough up some extra dinero to a nasty ISP that refuses to play nice ..
mailiang likes this.

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5740 of 6468 Old 06-17-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
In fact, I'll start ..
1) NF provides one of, if not the best, entertainment values in the Modern World
2) It may have a wart once in a while but the good folks at NF will try their best to make it right .. and sometimes, even actually cough up some extra dinero to a nasty ISP that refuses to play nice ..
I agree. I really had no issues once the PS3 and Roku 3 app was updated properly last year. I had issues when Netflix stupidly turned on Super HD for everyone without the ability to turn it off and get the regular 1080p streams. I can't even tell the difference between Super HD 1080p and regular 1080p. I can tell the difference between 720p and 480p which is night and day.
mgkdragn likes this.

Cats are the best pets.
post #5741 of 6468 Old 06-17-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Two things I love about Netflix.
1 - Great family content from Disney. I was a bit peeved when the Nickelodeon content went to Amazon but it is no big deal I watch it there.
2 - More grown up programs I do actually watch like Chuck, Fringe which i both finished. Buffy which is a good show too.

There those are two things I can think of.
mgkdragn likes this.

Cats are the best pets.
post #5742 of 6468 Old 06-17-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Two things I love about Netflix.
1 - Great family content from Disney. I was a bit peeved when the Nickelodeon content went to Amazon but it is no big deal I watch it there.
2 - More grown up programs I do actually watch like Chuck, Fringe which i both finished. Buffy which is a good show too.

There those are two things I can think of.
Bravo ..

Uncle Willie

post #5743 of 6468 Old 06-17-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait I also forgot the great classic TV shows like Hawaii-five O, MI, Magnum PI, Rockford Files, Maguver, which I all finished. I still have not finished Murder She Wrote yet.

Cats are the best pets.
post #5744 of 6468 Old 06-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 63
but that adaptdumb streaming ruins it all! imma right?
post #5745 of 6468 Old 06-19-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Net congestion no problem, except for one big 'but': Netflix -Cnet- EDITED for brevity
Preliminary data on Internet congestion in the US indicates there isn't much of it -- unless Netflix is part of the equation.Washington, DC -- Early data compiled by one of the country's premier technology universities indicates that the points where US Internet service providers link up their networks are generally free of abnormal congestion -- except when Netflix becomes part of the equation.

The preliminary report from the largest research laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, released Wednesday in partnership with the US Congressional Internet Caucus, attempts to clarify the facts behind the complicated debate of Net neutrality, the concept that all Internet content should be delivered without preference or discrimination.

Disregarding Netflix traffic, MIT's measurements found only occasional points of congestion where ISPs interconnect -- typically two or three congested links per ISP for about one or two hours a day. Congestion tended to be on costly links, like those that must travel under oceans.

But the early data may only fuel ongoing bickering about a topic that is complicated by not only a lack of mainstream familiarity about how the Internet works but also the absence of transparency about the deals connecting networksKen Florance, Netflix vice president of content delivery, said he both agreed and disagreed with the generalization that congestion is not widespread. In most markets with most networks, Netflix has found no persistent congestion issues, but a few of the largest residential providers in the US "deliberately and systematically allowed their connections to congest," he said.

"A few top networks were purposely degrading their networks to get money out of content providers," he said.
by Joan E. Solsman
@joan_e June 18, 2014 5:04 PM PDT
see full article : http://www.cnet.com/news/net-congest...tag=CAD090e536
[/QUOTE]

You Know what they say? " Whenever an investigation is started , a study is commissioned or whenever
consultant (s)or statistician (s) are retained often the first question asked is " ..............."Which position would you like supported " ☺☺☺

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-19-2014 at 11:39 AM.
post #5746 of 6468 Old 06-19-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Smile

mkdragen wrote ,
Quote:
Let me first offer up a sincere apology for my binge watch of "Orange is the New Black" .. and I will apologize in advance for "Hemlock Grove" when it hits, because I plan on doing the same thing .. if by any slim stretch of the imagination, this is interfering somehow with your complete satisfaction of "The Wonder Years", "The Dick Van Dyke Show", "Wallace & Gromit", "Leave It to Beaver" or "Saved by the Bell" .. it is purely unintentional on my part ..

Reddice replied ,

RE/tubetwister

Hey .........I watch some of those on Free Hulu (PC ) once in a while ,well Leave it to Beaver and Wonder Years anyway and the old Highway Patrol show ..OH and McHale's Navy on the PC and send it to the TV screen ! I don't know if Netflix has them I'll have to take a look then I can use the ROKU or PS3

Watching The Sixties on CNN right now on my Sony LED in the bedroom next to the computer desk brings back memories as a youngster and high schooler !
Also the Cuban Missile thing , scared the crap out of anyone with a sound mind it was one of those things ... you had to be there ! also Kennedy(John and Robert) ,LBJ, and tricky Dick .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-19-2014 at 06:48 PM.
post #5747 of 6468 Old 06-19-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
mkdragen wrote ,

RE/tubetwister

Hey .........I watch some of those on Free Hulu (PC ) once in a while ,well Leave it to Beaver and Wonder Years anyway and the old Highway Patrol show ..OH and McHale's Navy on the PC and send it to the TV screen ! I don't know if Netflix has them I'll have to take a look then I can use the ROKU or PS3

Watching The Sixties on CNN right now on my Sony LED in the bedroom next to the computer desk brings back memories as a youngster and high schooler !
Also the Cuban Missile thing , scared the crap out of anyone with a sound mind it was one of those things ... you had to be there ! also Kennedy(John and Robert) ,LBJ, and tricky Dick .

Welcome to the baby boomers club!

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5748 of 6468 Old 06-19-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I love classic TV but I am watching the newer shows more now on Netflix too if you consider 2004 new.

Cats are the best pets.
post #5749 of 6468 Old 06-19-2014, 10:17 PM

Liked: 66
Sorry if this has already been discussed but has anyone here had any success changing NF playback settings to something lower on the PS3? I've set all our NF profiles to low but everything still comes through as 1080 Super HD. Quite frustrating not being able to dial down NF when I have a data cap of 250GB and streaming is our primary source of entertainment. Makes it difficult to download 50GB bass demo discs and stay under the cap.

It's frustrating when an ISP's data cap does not jive with the speed it sells. How can a company sell a fast connection but if you were to use it 24/7 at the advertised speed you cap out in just the second day of the month (I did the math). It's like buying a Ferrari and then finding out you can only drive it from the garage to the street.
post #5750 of 6468 Old 06-19-2014, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Welcome to the baby boomers club!

Ian
The new senior citizens........... baby boomers

post #5751 of 6468 Old 06-20-2014, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
I've set all our NF profiles to low but everything still comes through as 1080 Super HD.
On the Roku forums I have read that only the master profile's "Data usage" setting is honored and is used for all profiles. If that isn't working for you, time to give Netflix a call.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #5752 of 6468 Old 06-20-2014, 10:36 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
On the Roku forums I have read that only the master profile's "Data usage" setting is honored and is used for all profiles. If that isn't working for you, time to give Netflix a call.
I called Netflix and I played with the user profiles and got it working. Turned out to be the same scenario as the Roku with the master profile. Another thing, in order to see the new playback settings, you have to exit the profile and then reselect it to have the new settings take effect. It's not an immediate change.
post #5753 of 6468 Old 06-20-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Low and medium settings are useless on anything but a low resolution mobile phone or CRT TV.

Cats are the best pets.
post #5754 of 6468 Old 06-20-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
Sorry if this has already been discussed but has anyone here had any success changing NF playback settings to something lower on the PS3? I've set all our NF profiles to low but everything still comes through as 1080 Super HD. Quite frustrating not being able to dial down NF when I have a data cap of 250GB and streaming is our primary source of entertainment. Makes it difficult to download 50GB bass demo discs and stay under the cap.

It's frustrating when an ISP's data cap does not jive with the speed it sells. How can a company sell a fast connection but if you were to use it 24/7 at the advertised speed you cap out in just the second day of the month (I did the math). It's like buying a Ferrari and then finding out you can only drive it from the garage to the street.
That seems like a fairly low cap to me .. who's your ISP .. ?? I have 2 PS3's and know of no way to dial down the res ..

Uncle Willie

post #5755 of 6468 Old 06-20-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 405
250GB was the original cap number for Comcast until they suspended enforcing it a year or so ago. I've heard of lower amounts on other systems. The number being bandied around now as a base cap amount for Comcast is 300GB once they reinstate the capping enforcement, so 250GB is not that odd at all.
post #5756 of 6468 Old 06-20-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Interested read.
http://www.networkworld.com/article/...this-year.html
They mention TWC and it is true I did see it slowly improve till April then some more congestion in May with a bigger dip in June which is why I now use the Roku 3 again instead of the ATV3.

Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 06-20-2014 at 04:16 PM.
post #5757 of 6468 Old 06-20-2014, 04:14 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Streaming the sound is really bad and on a ten feet wide screen the resolution sucks

So with that I stick to Blu Ray

My humble Cinema
post #5758 of 6468 Old 06-20-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
We will be sure to let you know what happens in House of Cards ahead of time.
StinDaWg likes this.

Gary J

post #5759 of 6468 Old 06-20-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
That seems like a fairly low cap to me .. who's your ISP .. ?? I have 2 PS3's and know of no way to dial down the res ..
I have cox preferred internet service. 25Mbps is plenty of bandwidth for my needs (netflix for kids, vpn for work, web surfing all at the same time) but I've been trending slightly more than 250 GB per month. From my understanding Cox may cancel my service if I continue to go over.

PLAN - Price - Download/Upload (Mbps) - Data Cap
Cox Essential - $45.99 - 5/1 - 100GB
Cox Preferred - $59.99 - 25/5 - 250GB
Cox Premier - $71.99 - 50/10 - 300GB
Cox Ultimate - $99.99 - 100/20 - 400GB

I did manage to lower the data usage for Netflix by going into playback settings for the primary profile and changing data usage to medium. This sets the data usage for all profiles on the PS3. I was hoping medium would drop me from 1080 Super HD to something like 720 but I'm getting 480 instead. A little bit too low I think. My amazon prime streaming is still HD.

All my routers are flashed with DD-WRT so I'm toying with the idea of using QoS and service priorities to set a cap at the PS3 device level. That way I can also limit amazon and maybe tweak it so it's streaming closer to 720 instead of 480. Or I can pay the extra $144 per year for the extra 50GB per month when they threaten to cancel my subscription.
post #5760 of 6468 Old 06-21-2014, 12:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 554
I have the same problem with Cox. They'd given me the 100 Mbps tier for $80/month for a year which has just run out, so I've dropped down to the 50 Mbps one, for $60/month (100 Mbps was nice, but not worth an extra $40). During the summer TV hiatus I stream 4 hours or more a day; I set my Roku 3's output to 720p, which keeps it from accessing the 3850 Kbps 1080p and the 4300- and 5800 Kbps 1080p "Super HD" encodes. 5800 Kbps "Super HD" video plus 192 Kbps DD+ 5.1 sound = 2.34 GB/hour, of which I can stream 4.1 hours/day in a 31 day month with my 300 GB cap. 3000 Kbps 720p plus 192 Kbps DD+ 5.1 sound = 1.44 GB/hour, of which I can stream 6 hours, 43 minutes per day while staying within my cap. Of course, I do other things with my bandwidth; if there's a new Xbox One game that I want to download, it could cost me 20 GB or more.

What pisses me off about Cox is that they don't offer more bandwidth for an overage fee. When I run into my mobile phone full-speed bandwidth cap (2.5 GB/month; overage is free, but at a greatly reduced speed), I can buy more full speed bandwidth. I'd be happy to pay any reasonable amount for another 50 GB chunk.

Note that the medium playback setting for Netflix is .7 GB/hour, which won't get you the least 720p (2350 Kbps + 96 Kbps stereo sound, 1.1 GB/hour). It won't even get you the highest quality SD encode, 720x480, which needs .83 GB/hour with stereo sound. It will get you the 1050 Kbps 640x480 video encode (.52 GB/hour with stereo sound, .56 GB/hour with DD+ sound). They seriously need to redefine the quality settings to give us more options.
Boxozaxu likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page