Netflix streaming quality - Page 193 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 65Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5761 of 6048 Old 06-21-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
reddice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Wait Cox can actually cancel your service if you go over your cap and they are part of Open Connect so you can always get the highest quality streams. That is just plain stupid. You are paying for the service and as you said the caps are so small it is not like you are running your own server hogging TB's of data then I understand to ban your service but to go over a pathetic 250 GB is crazy and for $59.99. Sorry but as much as I complain about Time Warner Cable I only pay $40.95 for 15/1 the same rate since I had the service in 2002. Most of the time I can stream HD content fine. I don't have a cap.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 06-21-2014 at 06:55 AM.
reddice is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5762 of 6048 Old 06-21-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
I have cox preferred internet service. 25Mbps is plenty of bandwidth for my needs (netflix for kids, vpn for work, web surfing all at the same time) but I've been trending slightly more than 250 GB per month. From my understanding Cox may cancel my service if I continue to go over.

PLAN - Price - Download/Upload (Mbps) - Data Cap
Cox Essential - $45.99 - 5/1 - 100GB
Cox Preferred - $59.99 - 25/5 - 250GB
Cox Premier - $71.99 - 50/10 - 300GB
Cox Ultimate - $99.99 - 100/20 - 400GB

I did manage to lower the data usage for Netflix by going into playback settings for the primary profile and changing data usage to medium. This sets the data usage for all profiles on the PS3. I was hoping medium would drop me from 1080 Super HD to something like 720 but I'm getting 480 instead. A little bit too low I think. My amazon prime streaming is still HD.

All my routers are flashed with DD-WRT so I'm toying with the idea of using QoS and service priorities to set a cap at the PS3 device level. That way I can also limit amazon and maybe tweak it so it's streaming closer to 720 instead of 480. Or I can pay the extra $144 per year for the extra 50GB per month when they threaten to cancel my subscription.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I have the same problem with Cox. They'd given me the 100 Mbps tier for $80/month for a year which has just run out, so I've dropped down to the 50 Mbps one, for $60/month (100 Mbps was nice, but not worth an extra $40). During the summer TV hiatus I stream 4 hours or more a day; I set my Roku 3's output to 720p, which keeps it from accessing the 3850 Kbps 1080p and the 4300- and 5800 Kbps 1080p "Super HD" encodes. 5800 Kbps "Super HD" video plus 192 Kbps DD+ 5.1 sound = 2.34 GB/hour, of which I can stream 4.1 hours/day in a 31 day month with my 300 GB cap. 3000 Kbps 720p plus 192 Kbps DD+ 5.1 sound = 1.44 GB/hour, of which I can stream 6 hours, 43 minutes per day while staying within my cap. Of course, I do other things with my bandwidth; if there's a new Xbox One game that I want to download, it could cost me 20 GB or more.

What pisses me off about Cox is that they don't offer more bandwidth for an overage fee. When I run into my mobile phone full-speed bandwidth cap (2.5 GB/month; overage is free, but at a greatly reduced speed), I can buy more full speed bandwidth. I'd be happy to pay any reasonable amount for another 50 GB chunk.

Note that the medium playback setting for Netflix is .7 GB/hour, which won't get you the least 720p (2350 Kbps + 96 Kbps stereo sound, 1.1 GB/hour). It won't even get you the highest quality SD encode, 720x480, which needs .83 GB/hour with stereo sound. It will get you the 1050 Kbps 640x480 video encode (.52 GB/hour with stereo sound, .56 GB/hour with DD+ sound). They seriously need to redefine the quality settings to give us more options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Wait Cox can actually cancel your service if you go over your cap and they are part of Open Connect so you can always get the highest quality streams. That is just plain stupid. You are paying for the service and as you said the caps are so small it is not like you are running your own server hogging TB's of data then I understand to ban your service but to go over a pathetic 250 GB is crazy and for $59.99. Sorry but as much as I complain about Time Warner Cable I only pay $40.95 for 15/1 the same rate since I had the service in 2002. Most of the time I can stream HD content fine. I don't have a cap.


And you want know why we need the FCC to get off their butts and actually do something that benefits the consumer and not the ISP?


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #5763 of 6048 Old 06-21-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Streaming the sound is really bad and on a ten feet wide screen the resolution sucks

So with that I stick to Blu Ray
Your comments don't parallel with my experience...and I've seen pictures of your home theater and you have a very nice setup.

I have a 120" (16:9) screen with Panasonic projector I am always amazed by the quality of the Netflix stream and sound.

Yes, it is streaming but why our experiences are so dissimilar is confusing. I have over 450 Blu-ray's so I do know what higher quality looks and sounds like.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #5764 of 6048 Old 06-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Member
 
Boxozaxu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post


And you want know why we need the FCC to get off their butts and actually do something that benefits the consumer and not the ISP?

Ian
Tom Wheeler just sworn in as new FCC head.

According to wikipedia >>> A venture capitalist and lobbyist for the cable and wireless industry and who was President of the National Cable Television Association (NCTA) and CEO of the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA).

I'm not sure what this fox is going to do to protect our coop. The scary thing is that, from what I've read, he was probably the best choice out there.
Boxozaxu is offline  
post #5765 of 6048 Old 06-21-2014, 10:55 AM
Member
 
Boxozaxu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Wait Cox can actually cancel your service if you go over your cap and they are part of Open Connect so you can always get the highest quality streams. That is just plain stupid. You are paying for the service and as you said the caps are so small it is not like you are running your own server hogging TB's of data then I understand to ban your service but to go over a pathetic 250 GB is crazy and for $59.99. Sorry but as much as I complain about Time Warner Cable I only pay $40.95 for 15/1 the same rate since I had the service in 2002. Most of the time I can stream HD content fine. I don't have a cap.
It really is stupid. The 100 Mpbs plan equates to 42 GB per hour. I would hit the monthly cap in under 10 hours if there was a scenario where I could use/need that speed. Most people don't realize they don't come anywhere near using the speeds they buy.

I've thought about dropping down in service and therefore forcing Netflix/Amazon to stream at a lower rate but I would still be in the same boat because my data cap also drops to 100 GB and I would still be going over. What are people going to do in 5 years when they want to stream 4k content???
Boxozaxu is offline  
post #5766 of 6048 Old 06-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Member
 
Boxozaxu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I have the same problem with Cox. They'd given me the 100 Mbps tier for $80/month for a year which has just run out, so I've dropped down to the 50 Mbps one, for $60/month (100 Mbps was nice, but not worth an extra $40). During the summer TV hiatus I stream 4 hours or more a day; I set my Roku 3's output to 720p, which keeps it from accessing the 3850 Kbps 1080p and the 4300- and 5800 Kbps 1080p "Super HD" encodes. 5800 Kbps "Super HD" video plus 192 Kbps DD+ 5.1 sound = 2.34 GB/hour, of which I can stream 4.1 hours/day in a 31 day month with my 300 GB cap. 3000 Kbps 720p plus 192 Kbps DD+ 5.1 sound = 1.44 GB/hour, of which I can stream 6 hours, 43 minutes per day while staying within my cap. Of course, I do other things with my bandwidth; if there's a new Xbox One game that I want to download, it could cost me 20 GB or more.

What pisses me off about Cox is that they don't offer more bandwidth for an overage fee. When I run into my mobile phone full-speed bandwidth cap (2.5 GB/month; overage is free, but at a greatly reduced speed), I can buy more full speed bandwidth. I'd be happy to pay any reasonable amount for another 50 GB chunk.

Note that the medium playback setting for Netflix is .7 GB/hour, which won't get you the least 720p (2350 Kbps + 96 Kbps stereo sound, 1.1 GB/hour). It won't even get you the highest quality SD encode, 720x480, which needs .83 GB/hour with stereo sound. It will get you the 1050 Kbps 640x480 video encode (.52 GB/hour with stereo sound, .56 GB/hour with DD+ sound). They seriously need to redefine the quality settings to give us more options.
I completely agree with you. Give me a 15 Mbps/1TB plan and I would be happier than the 25 Mbps/250GB plan I have now. And the medium setting on netflix is awful and not what I expected. I might have to give the Roku 3 a try and set it to 720p.
Boxozaxu is offline  
post #5767 of 6048 Old 06-22-2014, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
undecided's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
I completely agree with you. Give me a 15 Mbps/1TB plan and I would be happier than the 25 Mbps/250GB plan I have now. And the medium setting on netflix is awful and not what I expected. I might have to give the Roku 3 a try and set it to 720p.
Totally understand your frustration.

You could also try setting your PS3 to output 720P - most (but not all) Netflix devices limit the stream to max resolution being displayed. I don't have a PS3 so can't confirm that is true on the PS3.

I know that may be a pain as it means you have to change the PS3 resolution when you play Netflix - or accept 720P for all PS3 services.

Either that - or as michaeiltscott - have one device dedicated to Netflix and set it at 720P. It doesn't have to be a Roku 3 - in fact probably one of the Roku's (or other manufacturer) that's limited to 720P may be a better (cheaper) option.

If I was in the same situation as you I would probably use my very old Blu-Ray player for Netflix - it can only do 720P but at least has the benefit of automatically switching to 24P for 24P content.
undecided is offline  
post #5768 of 6048 Old 06-22-2014, 10:47 AM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Your comments don't parallel with my experience...and I've seen pictures of your home theater and you have a very nice setup. I have a 120" (16:9) screen with Panasonic projector I am always amazed by the quality of the Netflix stream and sound. Yes, it is streaming but why our experiences are so dissimilar is confusing. I have over 450 Blu-ray's so I do know what higher quality looks and sounds like.
Well thank you, you are telling the sound and pictures are as good as Blu Ray
wse is offline  
post #5769 of 6048 Old 06-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Senior Member
 
SMHarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I thought that if you go into your account settings on Netflix, and uncheck "Play next episode automatically" that it won't do that. Personally I like when Netflix does that. Then you just bypass the end credits and start the next episode.
They finally made that an option. Great.
It may not bother you but it is a disaster with kids.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Last edited by SMHarman; 06-22-2014 at 11:07 AM.
SMHarman is offline  
post #5770 of 6048 Old 06-22-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 7,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Well thank you, you are telling the sound and pictures are as good as Blu Ray
He is not if I understand your awkward sentence.
Gary J is offline  
post #5771 of 6048 Old 06-22-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 16,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
They finally made that an option. Great.
It may not bother you but it is a disaster with kids.
I believe that the automatic next episode play was created with kids in mind; lots of people like being able to sit their kids in front of the TV with endless episodes of their favorite animated series running.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #5772 of 6048 Old 06-22-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Well thank you, you are telling the sound and pictures are as good as Blu Ray
No, not quite. But you seemed to be writing off streaming as - in your words - 'the resolution sucks'. The resolution can be very good - excellent when using a good streamer with sufficient bandwidth and a service like VUDU HDX. Even Netflix HD looks decent for the most part. That's why your assessment confuses me, that's all.
mailiang likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #5773 of 6048 Old 06-22-2014, 03:54 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
No, not quite. But you seemed to be writing off streaming as - in your words - 'the resolution sucks'. The resolution can be very good - excellent when using a good streamer with sufficient bandwidth and a service like VUDU HDX. Even Netflix HD looks decent for the most part. That's why your assessment confuses me, that's all.
I have tried Netflix and to me the resolution is equivalent to 480i

On the other hand VUDU HDX is decent but the sound is no match with Blu Ray. Same with Apple HD
wse is offline  
post #5774 of 6048 Old 06-22-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 20,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
I have tried Netflix and to me the resolution is equivalent to 480i

On the other hand VUDU HDX is decent but the sound is no match with Blu Ray. Same with Apple HD
Something is wrong then if you thought that the Netflix 1080P SuperHD stream looked anything like 480i. I have never seen any DVD look anywhere close to what a SuperHD stream looks like. Heck even the Netflix 720P stream has more detail than any DVD I've ever seen.
mailiang and StinDaWg like this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #5775 of 6048 Old 06-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Mark12547's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Salem, Oregon, United States
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Something is wrong then if you thought that the Netflix 1080P SuperHD stream looked anything like 480i. I have never seen any DVD look anywhere close to what a SuperHD stream looks like. Heck even the Netflix 720P stream has more detail than any DVD I've ever seen.
Even the 1080p streams from Netflix usually look very sharp.

However, it seems that if an ISP is in a dispute with a service that Netflix contracts to, any traffic going through that service is effectively choked, so one could end up with a sub-480p stream (I was getting 240p during prime time leading up to the Comcast/Netflix agreement), and it can vary between devices if they use different types of streams that are hosted on different content delivery networks. (I still get sub-480p with my first-generation, first-model Roku, but usually 1080p and sometimes dips down to 720p on my "Smart TV" during prime time.)
mailiang likes this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Mark12547 is offline  
post #5776 of 6048 Old 06-23-2014, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 7,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
wse is confusing resolution with compression plus older PJ.
Gary J is offline  
post #5777 of 6048 Old 06-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Member
 
Seihaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Vudu HDX is the best streaming image I've seen so far, but it isn't leagues ahead of Netflix or anything which is also quite solid. But I use a Roku 3 on a Comcast connection (I hate that they were paid off but I can't complain about the results).
Seihaku is offline  
post #5778 of 6048 Old 06-23-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihaku View Post
Vudu HDX is the best streaming image I've seen so far, but it isn't leagues ahead of Netflix or anything which is also quite solid. But I use a Roku 3 on a Comcast connection (I hate that they were paid off but I can't complain about the results).
I've been watching Californiacation on Showtime Anytime and I'm surprised how good the HD picture quality is.


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #5779 of 6048 Old 06-23-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
undecided's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
This new FCC reports on Consumer Broadband Performance is getting a lot of coverage.

While the headlines are tending to show the first chart below there is a lot more (interesting) detail



This one I think is more informative (reminds me again why I left Verizon DSL) - particularly the 95 percentile



This one as well showing time of day consistency



Lots more detail in the report
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Average Sustained Download and Upload.jpg (70.3 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg percentile.jpg (139.7 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg Consistency.jpg (53.7 KB, 217 views)
undecided is offline  
post #5780 of 6048 Old 06-26-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 27,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Keenan is online now  
post #5781 of 6048 Old 06-26-2014, 12:14 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
No, not quite. But you seemed to be writing off streaming as - in your words - 'the resolution sucks'. The resolution can be very good - excellent when using a good streamer with sufficient bandwidth and a service like VUDU HDX. Even Netflix HD looks decent for the most part. That's why your assessment confuses me, that's all.
VUDU HDX is good no questions
wse is offline  
post #5782 of 6048 Old 06-26-2014, 12:16 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
wse is confusing resolution with compression plus older PJ.
Yes I only have a JVC RS35U and a ten feet wide screen
wse is offline  
post #5783 of 6048 Old 06-26-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 7,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I stand uncorrected!
Gary J is offline  
post #5784 of 6048 Old 06-28-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
reddice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Netflix this past week now routes me to Atlanta. Before I had that Internet outage at 1am I was always routed locally to NYC. After I was routed to DC. Now Atlanta. I think performance is better as it stunk more from NYC and DC. To think Atlanta is further and performance is better.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
reddice is online now  
post #5785 of 6048 Old 06-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
SkOrPn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tijeras, NM USA
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
To think Atlanta is further and performance is better.
It is hard to not think about distance when you know where a source is coming from, but one must understand that distance hardly ever equates to quality. And electrical or light emitted signal hardly cares about the distance. It is the quality of transmission and quality of receiving that transmission that really matters. There are millions and millions of households around the world that even during the best days can not maintain 56k to save their lives.

However, during the right time of day of course, the Mars Rover can maintain 128k. Look at those distances, and it becomes clear it is the quality and power of the transmissions and the receiving of those transmissions that matters most. I believe the transmission routing of ones signals are Network controlled, not by a human being but by firmware/software doing calculations, from transmission quality, to ping times etc that dictate where we get our content from. I have crappy Netflix service without using a VPN, and great 24/7 service with it. In fact, my signal from Netflix is MORE THAN ten times stronger going through my VPN. Go figure....

Last edited by SkOrPn; 06-28-2014 at 09:09 AM.
SkOrPn is offline  
post #5786 of 6048 Old 06-28-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StinDaWg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
It will be years before Netflix streaming can match Blu-ray quality, but Sony and Netflix couldn't care less.
Netflix is already very close to Blu-ray quality with their original shows. Ignore the "cooler" color temperature in the Netflix screenshots as that's an issue with the capture card's color saturation levels that was used to capture the stream.

Blu-ray | Netflix





StinDaWg is offline  
post #5787 of 6048 Old 06-29-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Netflix is already very close to Blu-ray quality with their original shows. Ignore the "cooler" color temperature in the Netflix screenshots as that's an issue with the capture card's color saturation levels that was used to capture the stream.
Blu-ray | Netflix






I agree they look very good, but unlike BD, there are occasionally some compression artifacts like color banding and dithering on my Panasonic PDP.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #5788 of 6048 Old 06-29-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
reddice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 43
How did you get those screenshots exact?

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
reddice is online now  
post #5789 of 6048 Old 06-29-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 3,913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Most people could not tell the difference between the BD and the NF stream. They really wouldn't be able tell the difference between the VUDU HDX stream and a BD. On motion you might see artifact on the stream. As expected much of the members of the AVS Forum want "the best" which would be some lossless encoding that wouldn't even fit on a BD (and are archived to hard drives) even if their eyes couldn't tell the difference.

I'll watch something lores if that is all that is available because for me it is the story that counts not the equipment I'm watching it on.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #5790 of 6048 Old 06-29-2014, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I am up in Canada, I have always found my Netflix streaming, through an OPPO 103 to be excellent. Almost BD quality, I have not tried VUDU but for me Netflix is excellent.

James Reid:D
cardoski is online now  
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off