145Likes

post #5791 of 6413 Old 06-29-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Exclamation BD Quality

You guys are a big reason why Netflix, Sony and others couldn't care less. My in-laws are just as discerning.

Enjoy.
kriktsemaj99 and mailiang like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 6413 Old 06-29-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 518
I watched Star Trek Into Darkness a second time last night on Netflix (I think that the first was on rented BD). It was beautiful and the sound quality was excellent. I did notice a little judder in one busy panning shot but never again; that probably wouldn't have been seen watching a BD. It didn't detract from my enjoyment. That was on this 46" panel viewed from about 4.5 feet away (I plan to replace it with a 55" or 60" Vizio P-Series when they appear).

To be so sensitive to artifacts in Netflix streaming that you can't enjoy it is a curse.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #5793 of 6413 Old 06-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
You guys are a big reason why Netflix, Sony and others couldn't care less. My in-laws are just as discerning.

Enjoy.
It is close, but not quite. And I am very discerning,I watch Netflix a lot and it looks fantastic. Maybe it looks worse in the US.

James Reid:D
post #5794 of 6413 Old 06-29-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
It is close, but not quite. And I am very discerning,I watch Netflix a lot and it looks fantastic. Maybe it looks worse in the US.
The US has some of the worst bandwidth among developed nations. If your video is close, what about the audio?
post #5795 of 6413 Old 06-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The US has some of the worst bandwidth among developed nations. If your video is close, what about the audio?
Audio is pretty good too, I just installed a new receiver so still buzzing by the huge upgrade that brought. But it is good, better then my Cable but not my BD collection. I grab BDs for critical watching, plus if I love a movie I like to have the physical disc or boxset. My hd cable also looks good, I guess I am spoiled, I live in a small city with pretty good infrastructure. In fact the city utility just installed fiber to all homes and businesses.

post #5796 of 6413 Old 06-29-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Audio is pretty good too, I just installed a new receiver so still buzzing by the huge upgrade that brought. But it is good, better then my Cable but not my BD collection. I grab BDs for critical watching, plus if I love a movie I like to have the physical disc or boxset. My hd cable also looks good, I guess I am spoiled, I live in a small city with pretty good infrastructure. In fact the city utility just installed fiber to all homes and businesses.
Ashland Oregon, home of the Oregon Shakespeare festival, has a similar fiber system. Palo Alto, where we live, has a fiber ring, but Comcast and AT&T lobbied so strongly a few years ago that the ring was never extended to homes.

Comcast provides what should be enough bandwidth, but they constantly have little tiny outages which causes Netflix and similar streaming software back off of it's best through put. We rent BD and DVD movies, and watch old BBC TV material with Roku.

Enjoy.
cardoski likes this.
post #5797 of 6413 Old 06-29-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that the same video encodes are distributed everywhere. (There might be some differences when there are burned in subtitles on a film, but I haven't run across a title like that in a long time. The last one that I remember is the Swedish film Let the Right One In--I just checked and it still has burned in English subs. I hate to think that that would have burned in English subs everywhere but right not it's apparently only available from Netflix in the US).

Where are you?

post #5798 of 6413 Old 06-30-2014, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I'm pretty sure that the same video encodes are distributed everywhere. (There might be some differences when there are burned in subtitles on a film, but I haven't run across a title like that in a long time. The last one that I remember is the Swedish film Let the Right One In--I just checked and it still has burned in English subs. I hate to think that that would have burned in English subs everywhere but right not it's apparently only available from Netflix in the US).

Where are you?

Canada, but I watch both US and Canadian Netflix. I just never understood why people say it looks horrible.

post #5799 of 6413 Old 06-30-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Canada, but I watch both US and Canadian Netflix. I just never understood why people say it looks horrible.
It's simple. Netflix has developed a variety of streaming applications for various hardware platforms. They have done a better job for hardware platforms (Sony Play Station, etc.) that control a large share of the market. The small market share platforms have consistently been provided inferior streaming applications from Netflix.

Many Internet providers in the US have also contributed their fluctuating bandwidth and other disruptive tactics to force a multi-teared environment on streaming providers.

Judging a large complex system based on one's personal experience rarely leads to better understanding.
post #5800 of 6413 Old 06-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Judging a large complex system based on one's personal experience rarely leads to better understanding. [/QUOTE]

Of course, why would anyone do that?

I am not defending anything, just saying I was surprised to hear so many complain about poor quality when I have only had good quality. I am not questioning anyones experience.

Last edited by cardoski; 06-30-2014 at 12:38 PM.
post #5801 of 6413 Old 06-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I watched Star Trek Into Darkness a second time last night on Netflix (I think that the first was on rented BD). It was beautiful and the sound quality was excellent. I did notice a little judder in one busy panning shot but never again; that probably wouldn't have been seen watching a BD. It didn't detract from my enjoyment. That was on this 46" panel viewed from about 4.5 feet away (I plan to replace it with a 55" or 60" Vizio P-Series when they appear).

To be so sensitive to artifacts in Netflix streaming that you can't enjoy it is a curse.
I couldn't agree more. I don't even notice judder much. Streaming via win 8.1 metro app is flawless, same as my Sharp's smart central app. With some shows I do not think I'd be able to differentiate between it and BD quality.
post #5802 of 6413 Old 06-30-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I suppose that it's possible that much of the grousing is due to how poorly the hardware you're using to watch displays the video. It's possible that the same stream of bits displayed on different pieces of hardware could be noticeably crappier on one than the other.

In fact I have a case in point. I bought the stream of Prometheus from VUDU because I was anxious to see the film and it was available to purchase from them for several weeks before it became available on BD. I first watched it on a Friday night and downloaded it into a file on my PS3 (a 60 GB launch model) to make sure that I didn't get any fluctuations in quality caused by heavy competing network demand. There was some very noticeable banding in some scenes, from the opening scene in which you seem to be flying in from the clouds; there was banding in the sky. Discussing this with some people online some said that they didn't see that banding at all. I then decided to try viewing it on every other device that I own with a VUDU player (Xbox 360, Sony BDP-S390, Panasonic DMP-BDT220, WD TV Live). The BDT220 won hands down--it exhibited far fewer visible digital artifacts than any of the others.

post #5803 of 6413 Old 06-30-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 320
You're never going to get streaming to look as good as BD. Vudu HDX sometimes get close, but it still doesn't offer what I believe is a considerable increase in bandwidth. Super HD looks very sharp, but it's not as clean and free of compression artifacts which I expect from most BD's and have experienced from the few blockbusters I've watched on HDX.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 06-30-2014 at 03:14 PM.
post #5804 of 6413 Old 06-30-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Judging a large complex system based on one's personal experience rarely leads to better understanding.

I am not defending anything, just saying I was surprised to hear so many complain about poor quality when I have only had good quality. I am not questioning anyones experience.[/QUOTE]Just explaining why: "I just never understood why people say it looks horrible."
cardoski likes this.
post #5805 of 6413 Old 06-30-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Netflix is already very close to Blu-ray quality with their original shows. Ignore the "cooler" color temperature in the Netflix screenshots as that's an issue with the capture card's color saturation levels that was used to capture the stream.

Blu-ray | Netflix

I've watched both House of Cards seasons multiple times by streaming with 5800Kbps SuperHD and from the BDs. While the streaming does look very good, there is still a huge difference when I watch the BDs. There is so much more detail and clarity from the BDs. I'm still amazed at the difference.

The opening sequence is also one thing I'm very familiar with since I've seen it so many times. The BD puts the streaming to shame with the opening. As well as with the audio in the opening.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 06-30-2014 at 09:37 PM.
post #5806 of 6413 Old 07-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am not defending anything, just saying I was surprised to hear so many complain about poor quality when I have only had good quality. I am not questioning anyones experience.
Just explaining why: "I just never understood why people say it looks horrible."[/QUOTE]

Just explaining why I said that. I should have been more clear.

post #5807 of 6413 Old 07-01-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Last night when I went to watch one of the final episodes of "Salamander" I got the "we cannot play this video for you at this time" message. My experience though has been to get out of the app and relaunch it. It is as if it gets a certain channel that is clogged and relaunching gives it a different channel that may not be clogged.

In this case I was trying to watch via Chromecast and for some reason the Netflix app won't always release Chromecast which was the case last night. So I went over to my BD player and watched "Salem" on Hulu+ with no rebuffering, mostly HD but with some lower res segments.

"Salamander"? Are you kidding? It's a foreign TV series with subtitles. It's excellent but hardly a title that would be rated popular (and isn't).

I concur that individual experience can't speak for overall performance of Netflix. Perhaps if your neighbors don't use Netflix and just watch TV you may never see the congestion symptoms that many of us in tech savvy neighborhoods do.

BTW, I went back to Salamander a little after 10 PM and watched all the way through in SuperHD.
post #5808 of 6413 Old 07-02-2014, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After not paying for Netflix streaming fearing quality issues only then giving in after seeing others enjoying it I eventually (fairly quickly actually) ended up canceling after sub-par 480p (if that) issues through my Xbox 360 with no apparent fix and also lack of product that interested me..
post #5809 of 6413 Old 07-02-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLGeter View Post
After not paying for Netflix streaming fearing quality issues only then giving in after seeing others enjoying it I eventually (fairly quickly actually) ended up canceling after sub-par 480p (if that) issues through my Xbox 360 with no apparent fix and also lack of product that interested me..
What ISP are you using? Everybody's situation is different. I'm fortunate to have Open Connect so I get 1080p consistently. Between offering their own content like House Of Cards and Orange Is The New Black, along with some decent Indy films, at $8.99 a month Netflix is a bargain for me.

Ian
joed32, mgkdragn and cardoski like this.

post #5810 of 6413 Old 07-02-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
That's why the free 30 day trial for new subscribers is nice .. try it, if it's not for you, don't buy it ..
mailiang likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5811 of 6413 Old 07-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've watched both House of Cards seasons multiple times by streaming with 5800Kbps SuperHD and from the BDs. While the streaming does look very good, there is still a huge difference when I watch the BDs. There is so much more detail and clarity from the BDs. I'm still amazed at the difference.

The opening sequence is also one thing I'm very familiar with since I've seen it so many times. The BD puts the streaming to shame with the opening. As well as with the audio in the opening.
Other than the color temp... I cannot discern between the two. They both look great.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #5812 of 6413 Old 07-06-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
What ISP are you using? Everybody's situation is different. I'm fortunate to have Open Connect so I get 1080p consistently. Between offering their own content like House Of Cards and Orange Is The New Black, along with some decent Indy films, at $8.99 a month Netflix is a bargain for me.

Ian
I am on Cablevision and could find no explanation as to why my stream quality became unacceptable after enjoying my binge of Breaking Bad 1st to last Season. I looked for a tweek/fix to get it back to where it was when I enjoyed it but could find nothing, not even a reason why it became so inferior. I think that each time I powered up the console and there was an update the quality got worse with Netflix though I couldn't think of why. I actually started to research other streaming devices.
post #5813 of 6413 Old 07-06-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
That's why the free 30 day trial for new subscribers is nice .. try it, if it's not for you, don't buy it ..
Yeah not feeling ripped off just disappointed because it could be a good value.
post #5814 of 6413 Old 07-06-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
I am on Cablevision and could find no explanation as to why my stream quality became unacceptable
The issues between Netflix and the ISPs was in this thread and in the press everywhere.
post #5815 of 6413 Old 07-06-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 49
So now there are two with Cablevison that are having problems. Now you know how it feels. WLGeter I recommend you get a Roku 3. You can always get a Roku 3 from Amazon and if it does not work out you can return it within 30 days. It is the most reliable of the Netflix streamers under congestion unlike for example the ATV3 which chokes with SD dropouts under congestion and the Fire TV which just plains sucks for Netflix as you get buffering mid stream. I am suprised the Xbox 360 has problems as it can only do 720p 3000 kbps playback but maybe it has a really short buffer.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #5816 of 6413 Old 07-06-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am on Cablevision and could find no explanation as to why my stream quality became unacceptable after enjoying my binge of Breaking Bad 1st to last Season. I looked for a tweek/fix to get it back to where it was when I enjoyed it but could find nothing, not even a reason why it became so inferior. I think that each time I powered up the console and there was an update the quality got worse with Netflix though I couldn't think of why. I actually started to research other streaming devices.
I also have Cablevision and I'm using a Panasonic smart PDP. The few times I have issues, I do a stop and re-start. It usually ramps right back up to Super HD and stays there. If it does it again, it just means my router needs a re-boot.

Ian
mgkdragn likes this.

post #5817 of 6413 Old 07-06-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For this discussion to be truly valuable, you need to watch on larger screens. I have a projector and an 80 inch screen, usually watch Netflix via Apple TV. The quality is variable, the best cannot compete with BD, not even close, too much compression. Audio the same. On smaller screens (my kids both have 32 inch) looks better and they could not care less anyway
post #5818 of 6413 Old 07-06-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiohm View Post
For this discussion to be truly valuable, you need to watch on larger screens. I have a projector and an 80 inch screen, usually watch Netflix via Apple TV. The quality is variable, the best cannot compete with BD, not even close, too much compression. Audio the same. On smaller screens (my kids both have 32 inch) looks better and they could not care less anyway
Like I posted earlier, http://www.avsforum.com/forum/184-video-download-services-hardware/1089285-netflix-streaming-quality-59.html#post25390890 I don't need a 80'' screen to see the difference. Any quality set will bring out streaming flaws.

Ian
mgkdragn likes this.

post #5819 of 6413 Old 07-06-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Yeah not feeling ripped off just disappointed because it could be a good value.
Well, tastes differ .. to be the perfect venue would cost substantially more .. as it is now, it's not only a good value, it's one of the best values of this Century ..
mailiang likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5820 of 6413 Old 07-06-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Netflix on Xbox maxes out at 720p and half the bitrate possible on other devices. No wonder you think it looks bad. A better ISP or router (no other reason you'd get 480) and a better streaming device, and Netflix would look great.

But if they have no content you like, then Netflix just isn't for you I guess.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page