Forum Jump: 
 180Likes

post #5821 of 6778 Old 07-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Hardware and ISP seems to be the limiting factors for people experience, I watch on a 115in projected image and it looks great. Like I said in an earlier post not BD but close.

James Reid:D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5822 of 6778 Old 07-06-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Mail is Netflix on your TV running wireless. If so that us why you have quality issues. Wireless causes problems but for me a hardwired connection has always been the most reliable.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired

Cats are the best pets
post #5823 of 6778 Old 07-06-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Limiting factors can also be what evening of the week you are watching and if you have any high school or college age kids in your neighborhood. I do and when vacations are on they apparently start watching Netflix. My great nephews do that too (but they aren't neighbors). Not blaming the kids but the ISP is probably not set up for that much demand as it should be.

Last night I didn't watch Netflix but had rebuffering using Chromecast for Hulu+ so switched to the BD player which played Hulu+ with no rebuffering. Weird. I have certain days I rarely try Netflix because everybody and their dog seems to be watching it and causing congestion.

Also should mention that the shows you select, if popular, can definitely effect your ability to get a SuperHD stream. Foreign subtitled movies and TV shows don't seem to have much of a problem because they aren't as popular. I also seldom have problem with title that has been released that day because most of the Netflixers don't know it is there yet.
post #5824 of 6778 Old 07-06-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Mail is Netflix on your TV running wireless. If so that us why you have quality issues. Wireless causes problems but for me a hardwired connection has always been the most reliable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Limiting factors can also be what evening of the week you are watching and if you have any high school or college age kids in your neighborhood. I do and when vacations are on they apparently start watching Netflix. My great nephews do that too (but they aren't neighbors). Not blaming the kids but the ISP is probably not set up for that much demand as it should be.

Last night I didn't watch Netflix but had rebuffering using Chromecast for Hulu+ so switched to the BD player which played Hulu+ with no rebuffering. Weird. I have certain days I rarely try Netflix because everybody and their dog seems to be watching it and causing congestion.

Also should mention that the shows you select, if popular, can definitely effect your ability to get a SuperHD stream. Foreign subtitled movies and TV shows don't seem to have much of a problem because they aren't as popular. I also seldom have problem with title that has been released that day because most of the Netflixers don't know it is there yet.
Although I use wireless (it wouldn't be practical for me to use wired) my signal levels off my centrally located router are always strong (5 bars) on all my devices. Also, I get at least 18.75 megs 24/7 off the Wi Fi. The issue happens rarely and only on certain titles, and as I posted earlier, fixing it usually just requires stopping and re-starting the stream. Re-booting my router was suggested by Netflix and was only done once when re-starting the steam brought it back up to 1080, but it didn't stick. I've been able to watch the entire second season of House Of Cards, during prime time, every night, with out a glitch.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 07-06-2014 at 04:23 PM.
post #5825 of 6778 Old 07-07-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Also, I get at least 18.75 megs 24/7 off the Wi Fi.
What does that mean. Are you talking about speed?
post #5826 of 6778 Old 07-07-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
What does that mean. Are you talking about speed?
Yes. My download speed is very consistent.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5827 of 6778 Old 07-07-2014, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
what from are these screens???
post #5828 of 6778 Old 07-07-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiohm View Post
For this discussion to be truly valuable, you need to watch on larger screens. I have a projector and an 80 inch screen, usually watch Netflix via Apple TV. The quality is variable, the best cannot compete with BD, not even close, too much compression. Audio the same. On smaller screens (my kids both have 32 inch) looks better and they could not care less anyway
My smaller screen is a 47" LCD. Even on that I can see the difference between House of Cards streamed in Super HD and the BD. The BD has more detail in the background and looks much better in low light scenes.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #5829 of 6778 Old 07-07-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
My smaller screen is a 47" LCD. Even on that I can see the difference between House of Cards streamed in Super HD and the BD. The BD has more detail in the background and looks much better in low light scenes.
Agreed - House of Cards Series 1 in particular seemed to be a particularly bad encode with major issues in low light scenes. Series 2 seemed better.

Viewed on a 55" Panasonic Plasma at ~8 ft with both Series streamed at 5800 kbps SuperHD rates.
post #5830 of 6778 Old 07-08-2014, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys thanks for the tips on getting better results. Some of this stuff I never heard of and when I came to this thread it was for this type of info I was looking for. Go figure
post #5831 of 6778 Old 07-08-2014, 03:13 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Other than the color temp... I cannot discern between the two. They both look great.

Above discussed Netflix Super HD vs BD. I've never watched on BD; but I think the Super HD is very good. Watched a streamed episode of House of Cards last night in 4K and it looked even better.
post #5832 of 6778 Old 07-08-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Above discussed Netflix Super HD vs BD. I've never watched on BD; but I think the Super HD is very good. Watched a streamed episode of House of Cards last night in 4K and it looked even better.
Which TV do you have for the 4K stream .. ??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5833 of 6778 Old 07-09-2014, 07:10 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Which TV do you have for the 4K stream .. ??

Samsung F9000 with the 2014 UHD Kit (new one connect). I had high hopes for the upgraded one connect box. Samsung more than met my expectations. Even the upconversion from lower resolutions was definitely improved. Previously I used my OPPO 103D for upconverting to 4K; but now I use a native output from the OPPO. Streamed 4K looks very good; but not as good as video on Samsung's demo usb hard drive.

Last edited by rlb; 07-09-2014 at 07:24 AM.
post #5834 of 6778 Old 07-09-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
One of the shortcuts to smaller encodes is to use less info for the color. That's often a complaint against using HD cams instead of film cameras.
post #5835 of 6778 Old 07-10-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
That's often a complaint against using HD cams instead of film cameras.
The Sony F55 and F65 should meet or exceed the color gamut of print film. There are many combo's of the controls to be set and a production company/DP may chose settings that do not allow for the best pictures.

IIRC, HoC 2 was shot using F55's.
post #5836 of 6778 Old 07-10-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

"Homefront" ran in SuperHD last night probably because most people didn't know it had been added. Netflix times must be UTC for new releases.
post #5837 of 6778 Old 07-14-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

The speed index was updated and FiOS dropped again. Also I see TWC dropped a bit too which is no surprise since I am having the same issues I had earlier this year. Also the lucky few that can get the great Cablevision of course things improved for you again. It still peeves me off so much that NYC metro only certain parts of Brooklyn and the Bronx serve Cablevision and the rest serves TWC. Hello last time I checked the Bronx and all of Brooklyn is the NYC metro area. So the upper class in Brooklyn and Manhattan suffer quality issues with Netflix but the lower class areas in the Bronx can get superiors Netflix performance anytime. It is not fair.

Also quality issues does not dictate what programs you watch if they are popular or not. I sometimes watch kids programs which are way less popular than there originals yet they suffer quality issues with slow ramp up and SD dropouts. Of course out of all the devices the Roku 3 handles it the best where most of the time it will stay in HD though the entire program which is why it is my primary device. The ATV3 was until I try to watch something after 9 PM and it keeps dropping down to there crappy 480p. Before the summer I even forgot the ATV3 had that adaptive crap streaming as I use to maintain a HD picture though the entire program day or night. Also don't blame hardware as I tried about 10 different switches from fast Ethernet to gigabit switches of all kinds and it does not make a difference.

Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless

Cats are the best pets

Last edited by reddice; 07-14-2014 at 12:22 PM.
post #5838 of 6778 Old 07-14-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 843
Netflix streaming has been perfect for me lately with FiOS. I've been getting SuperHD streams any time of the day, any day of the week.

I just wish their disc service hadn't gone in the crapper like it has over the last couple of months,

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-14-2014 at 12:30 PM.
post #5839 of 6778 Old 07-14-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I think one day they are going to get of there disc service. They only started to make more money with there streaming service.

Cats are the best pets
post #5840 of 6778 Old 07-14-2014, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Netflix streaming has been perfect for me lately with FiOS. I've been getting SuperHD streams any time of the day, any day of the week.

I just wish their disc service hadn't gone in the crapper like it has over the last couple of months,
Lucky you. My Fios is superb during the day but horrible most nights. I can't believe at how poor the picture is at night and I'm talking about when the kids are watching their crap shows, I have a 9 & 11 year old. It's very frustrating to pay for a service that is not giving me the promised quality. I can go to You Tube and watch HD without any problems. I've watched many shows through my apps on my XBox without any problems. So it is definitely not my internet connection.

Nick

360 GT: Nicky D
post #5841 of 6778 Old 07-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Netflix streaming for me has risen very high in speeds lately, and according to the "Shift-Ctrl-Alt-D" overlay I am now getting 70,000 KBPS to 80,000 KBPS from the Phoenix Arizona VPN server which connects to the LA Netflix CDN (as usual). Now I know for fact something is lying to me as my ISP connection is only 50/5. It always used to read 40,000 KBPS when using my VPN, but now that it has nearly doubled I am thinking something is very fishy indeed. Still though, using IE11+HTML5 and my VPN I get instant 5800 HD loads and do not see any blurry loading of any kind at any time 24/7. The moment I hit the play button it takes about 2 seconds to start playing, and then its just HD all the way through.

Why it shows CenturyLink so far down the list when I get fantastic results way out in the country side, middle of the New Mexican desert is beyond me. lol
post #5842 of 6778 Old 07-14-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix now for the past month connects me to Atlanta CDN. I still get the same performance and congestion when it connected me to New York CDN since forever (which made no sense it was only a few miles away) and Washington DC CDN briefly after the 1AM internet outage it did not make a difference either.

Cats are the best pets
post #5843 of 6778 Old 07-14-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyD View Post
and I'm talking about when the kids are watching their crap shows.
Anyway though it proves my point that it does not matter if a show it popular or not it performs the same when there is congestion.

Cats are the best pets

Last edited by reddice; 07-14-2014 at 02:04 PM.
post #5844 of 6778 Old 07-14-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
Netflix streaming for me has risen very high in speeds lately, and according to the "Shift-Ctrl-Alt-D" overlay I am now getting 70,000 KBPS to 80,000 KBPS from the Phoenix Arizona VPN server which connects to the LA Netflix CDN (as usual). Now I know for fact something is lying to me as my ISP connection is only 50/5.

They really ought to watch their capitalization on that debug overlay; "KBPS" is just strange. Capital "B" is always bytes (and usually the "PS" is in lower case); I think that they mean Kbits/sec and not KBytes/sec. Of course, that display is not for you and me, and their engineers know what the units being reported are. In any case, I just dropped my service from the 100 Mbps tier down to the 50 Mbps tier (a deal that I had on 100 Mbps for a year expired) and I'm seeing 72 Mbps to their CDN server on that debug overlay, steadily climbing; I question the accuracy of that number. (For some reason I, in San Diego, am connected to a server in NYC, almost as far as can be from me in the contiguous 50 ). Speedtest.com to a local server gives me 62 Mbps.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #5845 of 6778 Old 07-14-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Funny Michael that you connect to a server in NYC which I was only a few miles from but performance was inconsistent. Now I am always connected to Atlanta and performance is about the same or may be a bit better.

Cats are the best pets
post #5846 of 6778 Old 07-14-2014, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
They really ought to watch their capitalization on that debug overlay; "KBPS" is just strange. Capital "B" is always bytes (and usually the "PS" is in lower case); I think that they mean Kbits/sec and not KBytes/sec. Of course, that display is not for you and me, and their engineers know what the units being reported are. In any case, I just dropped my service from the 100 Mbps tier down to the 50 Mbps tier (a deal that I had on 100 Mbps for a year expired) and I'm seeing 72 Mbps to their CDN server on that debug overlay, steadily climbing; I question the accuracy of that number. (For some reason I, in San Diego, am connected to a server in NYC, almost as far as can be from me in the contiguous 50 ). Speedtest.com to a local server gives me 62 Mbps.
Your guess is as good as mine. I took a screenshot many months ago to show the overlay when it was showing 40,000 KBPS, which is VERY informative, more so than any other overlay I have seen so far. If only IE11 was 5.1 surround I bet many people would be building HTPC's again to experience how well it has become with streaming Netflix.

Oh heck I will just show you. Below are some screenies...

Err, LOL well it made a fracking liar out of me, but my Father is in the other room streaming full screen Gardening videos. So, this should still show the difference with and without my VPN enabled at 3:30'ish in the afternoon. Both are about 1 minute or so into the video. It took that long to (40 or 50 seconds) hit 3000 KBPS without the VPN (I do not know if it ever hits 5800 without the vpn), and on the VPN it was 3000 almost immediately (I'm guessing 2 or 3 seconds) and then 5800 about 20-30 seconds into the show. Over the weekend I did some tests and it was much faster (showing 77,000 to 80,000 KBPS, first ever I seen it over 40K). I can't really see much difference on this TV show, so I just assumed it was instant 5800 HD (since it looked so good, so maybe it was really flying this last weekend?), but its near instant 3000 KBPS on the VPN for sure right now.

Any ideas why my VPN does this streaming thing so well?

Without VPN
http://i.imgur.com/hLgC5ME.jpg

With VPN
http://i.imgur.com/1o6xuh4.jpg

EDIT: I tried to figure out how to do clickable image thumbnails, but AVS uses such ancient forum software that it seems nearly impossible. Sorry... Not willing to post large resolution pictures in the thread.

LOL, I just noticed I am streaming from NY, that is also a first for me. Hmm weird, lying through my teeth today it seems... Yeah KBPS seems stupid to be using for sure.
post #5847 of 6778 Old 07-14-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Your guess is as good as mine. I took a screenshot many months ago to show the overlay when it was showing 40,000 KBPS, which is VERY informative, more so than any other overlay I have seen so far. If only IE11 was 5.1 surround I bet many people would be building HTPC's again to experience how well it has become with streaming Netflix.

Err, LOL well it made a fracking liar out of me, but my Father is in the other room streaming full screen Gardening videos. So, this should still show the difference with and without my VPN enabled at 3:30'ish in the afternoon. Both are about 1 minute or so into the video. It took that long to (40 or 50 seconds) hit 3000 KBPS without the VPN (I do not know if it ever hits 5800 without the vpn), and on the VPN it was 3000 almost immediately (I'm guessing 2 or 3 seconds) and then 5800 about 20-30 seconds into the show. Over the weekend I did some tests and it was much faster (showing 77,000 to 80,000 KBPS, first ever I seen it over 40K). I can't really see much difference on this TV show, so I just assumed it was instant 5800 HD (since it looked so good, so maybe it was really flying this last weekend?), but its near instant 3000 KBPS on the VPN for sure right now.

Without VPN

With VPN

EDIT: I tried to figure out how to do clickable image thumbnails, but AVS uses such ancient forum software that it seems nearly impossible. Sorry... Not willing to post large resolution pictures in the thread.

LOL, I just noticed I am streaming from NY, that is also a first for me. Hmm weird, lying through my teeth today it seems... Yeah KBPS seems stupid to be using for sure.
I usually wrap images (and large tables or anything like that) in [SPOILER] tags, like so:

Spoiler!

When I was looking at the number it started relatively low (like 14000 "KBPS") and gradually ramped up until it was around 80000 Kbps, wavering, dipping back down to the mid-70s.

post #5848 of 6778 Old 07-14-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Without VPN

With VPN

I usually wrap images (and large tables or anything like that) in [SPOILER] tags, like so:

Spoiler!

When I was looking at the number it started relatively low (like 14000 "KBPS") and gradually ramped up until it was around 80000 Kbps, wavering, dipping back down to the mid-70s.

I forgot that I have Unblock-US DNS addresses set up in my router; that might explain the CDN server location.

post #5849 of 6778 Old 07-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

OK, just forced my VPN to connect to California, and its better. 3000 KBPS is claimed instantly, not even 1 second, and 5800 did not happen until about 25 seconds into the TV show. I can not recognize the CDN though, as it usually says LA but now it says Dev? Almost 50,000 KBPS. My connection only does 47/5 (47 Mbps) according to speedtest.net. Can someone explain KBPS to me please and what it means when converted to Mbps? I was thinking 50,000 KBPS is similar to 50 Mbps?

http://i.imgur.com/i2wkYhf.jpg
post #5850 of 6778 Old 07-14-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just switched to automatically assigned Cox DNS servers and now I get much more reasonably connected to a CDN server in San Jose, a mere 450 miles or so away from me (as opposed to 2800 miles to NYC). The throughput number on that HTML5 player's debug overlay started at 30000+ "KBPS" and rapidly climbed to 50000, slowly ramping up from there to over 80000 and continuing to climb, over about 5 minutes. I really don't trust that display.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware