Netflix streaming quality - Page 195 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5821 of 5836 Old 07-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hardware and ISP seems to be the limiting factors for people experience, I watch on a 115in projected image and it looks great. Like I said in an earlier post not BD but close.

James Reid:D
cardoski is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5822 of 5836 Old 07-06-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
reddice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Mail is Netflix on your TV running wireless. If so that us why you have quality issues. Wireless causes problems but for me a hardwired connection has always been the most reliable.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p.
Cats are the best pets.
reddice is online now  
post #5823 of 5836 Old 07-06-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 3,863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Limiting factors can also be what evening of the week you are watching and if you have any high school or college age kids in your neighborhood. I do and when vacations are on they apparently start watching Netflix. My great nephews do that too (but they aren't neighbors). Not blaming the kids but the ISP is probably not set up for that much demand as it should be.

Last night I didn't watch Netflix but had rebuffering using Chromecast for Hulu+ so switched to the BD player which played Hulu+ with no rebuffering. Weird. I have certain days I rarely try Netflix because everybody and their dog seems to be watching it and causing congestion.

Also should mention that the shows you select, if popular, can definitely effect your ability to get a SuperHD stream. Foreign subtitled movies and TV shows don't seem to have much of a problem because they aren't as popular. I also seldom have problem with title that has been released that day because most of the Netflixers don't know it is there yet.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #5824 of 5836 Old 07-06-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Mail is Netflix on your TV running wireless. If so that us why you have quality issues. Wireless causes problems but for me a hardwired connection has always been the most reliable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Limiting factors can also be what evening of the week you are watching and if you have any high school or college age kids in your neighborhood. I do and when vacations are on they apparently start watching Netflix. My great nephews do that too (but they aren't neighbors). Not blaming the kids but the ISP is probably not set up for that much demand as it should be.

Last night I didn't watch Netflix but had rebuffering using Chromecast for Hulu+ so switched to the BD player which played Hulu+ with no rebuffering. Weird. I have certain days I rarely try Netflix because everybody and their dog seems to be watching it and causing congestion.

Also should mention that the shows you select, if popular, can definitely effect your ability to get a SuperHD stream. Foreign subtitled movies and TV shows don't seem to have much of a problem because they aren't as popular. I also seldom have problem with title that has been released that day because most of the Netflixers don't know it is there yet.
Although I use wireless (it wouldn't be practical for me to use wired) my signal levels off my centrally located router are always strong (5 bars) on all my devices. Also, I get at least 18.75 megs 24/7 off the Wi Fi. The issue happens rarely and only on certain titles, and as I posted earlier, fixing it usually just requires stopping and re-starting the stream. Re-booting my router was suggested by Netflix and was only done once when re-starting the steam brought it back up to 1080, but it didn't stick. I've been able to watch the entire second season of House Of Cards, during prime time, every night, with out a glitch.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others


Last edited by mailiang; 07-06-2014 at 03:23 PM.
mailiang is offline  
post #5825 of 5836 Old 07-07-2014, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 7,575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Also, I get at least 18.75 megs 24/7 off the Wi Fi.
What does that mean. Are you talking about speed?
Gary J is online now  
post #5826 of 5836 Old 07-07-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
What does that mean. Are you talking about speed?
Yes. My download speed is very consistent.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #5827 of 5836 Old 07-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
what from are these screens???
fattybob is offline  
post #5828 of 5836 Old 07-07-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 20,693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiohm View Post
For this discussion to be truly valuable, you need to watch on larger screens. I have a projector and an 80 inch screen, usually watch Netflix via Apple TV. The quality is variable, the best cannot compete with BD, not even close, too much compression. Audio the same. On smaller screens (my kids both have 32 inch) looks better and they could not care less anyway
My smaller screen is a 47" LCD. Even on that I can see the difference between House of Cards streamed in Super HD and the BD. The BD has more detail in the background and looks much better in low light scenes.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #5829 of 5836 Old 07-07-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
undecided's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
My smaller screen is a 47" LCD. Even on that I can see the difference between House of Cards streamed in Super HD and the BD. The BD has more detail in the background and looks much better in low light scenes.
Agreed - House of Cards Series 1 in particular seemed to be a particularly bad encode with major issues in low light scenes. Series 2 seemed better.

Viewed on a 55" Panasonic Plasma at ~8 ft with both Series streamed at 5800 kbps SuperHD rates.
undecided is offline  
post #5830 of 5836 Old 07-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Member
 
WLGeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys thanks for the tips on getting better results. Some of this stuff I never heard of and when I came to this thread it was for this type of info I was looking for. Go figure
WLGeter is offline  
post #5831 of 5836 Old 07-08-2014, 02:13 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Other than the color temp... I cannot discern between the two. They both look great.

Above discussed Netflix Super HD vs BD. I've never watched on BD; but I think the Super HD is very good. Watched a streamed episode of House of Cards last night in 4K and it looked even better.
rlb is online now  
post #5832 of 5836 Old 07-08-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Above discussed Netflix Super HD vs BD. I've never watched on BD; but I think the Super HD is very good. Watched a streamed episode of House of Cards last night in 4K and it looked even better.
Which TV do you have for the 4K stream .. ??

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

mgkdragn is online now  
post #5833 of 5836 Old 07-09-2014, 06:10 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Which TV do you have for the 4K stream .. ??

Samsung F9000 with the 2014 UHD Kit (new one connect). I had high hopes for the upgraded one connect box. Samsung more than met my expectations. Even the upconversion from lower resolutions was definitely improved. Previously I used my OPPO 103D for upconverting to 4K; but now I use a native output from the OPPO. Streamed 4K looks very good; but not as good as video on Samsung's demo usb hard drive.

Last edited by rlb; 07-09-2014 at 06:24 AM.
rlb is online now  
post #5834 of 5836 Old 07-09-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 3,863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Above discussed Netflix Super HD vs BD. I've never watched on BD; but I think the Super HD is very good. Watched a streamed episode of House of Cards last night in 4K and it looked even better.
One of the shortcuts to smaller encodes is to use less info for the color. That's often a complaint against using HD cams instead of film cameras.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #5835 of 5836 Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
That's often a complaint against using HD cams instead of film cameras.
The Sony F55 and F65 should meet or exceed the color gamut of print film. There are many combo's of the controls to be set and a production company/DP may chose settings that do not allow for the best pictures.

IIRC, HoC 2 was shot using F55's.
Wendell R. Breland is offline  
post #5836 of 5836 Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 3,863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 92
"Homefront" ran in SuperHD last night probably because most people didn't know it had been added. Netflix times must be UTC for new releases.
Brian Conrad is offline  
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off