post #5911 of 6399 Old 07-16-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Also I have white retail SB6141 Docsis 3.0 modem running firmware version "SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH".
Its probably not a Docsis 3 signal level issue - but I would still check to rule it out.

Go to 192.168.100.1 and click the Signal Level tab. Hopefully you'll see 4 or 8 download channels with good levels.

Guidance what is a good level can be found here http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16085

I know the FAQ is for Comcast - but same guidance applies to TWC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5912 of 6399 Old 07-16-2014, 05:08 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
FWIW starting about two weeks my 50M Fios+Netflix maximum speed became 480SD with my Sony S1100. Previously I had no trouble getting 5800 SuperHD. Amazon (25M) and the internet (50M) still work fine. Yesterday I put my Sony S790 in and there was no improvement. In fact it had a hard time getting to 480SD staying stuck on 388SD for a while.

I have powered down all components, have current updates, tried the Google DNS, and use wired ethernet.

I have called Netflix twice and they have been very understanding. The second time I spoke to a supervisor and she assured me that the tech department will be looking at this. I have no interest calling Verizon whose support I find useless. I did post in their Fios forum where other people are reporting Netflix problems.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-In...in/td-p/703020

It is hard to understand why I suddenly experienced this extreme throttling. Note that I am watching late at night and I am not watching popular shows.
post #5913 of 6399 Old 07-16-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Any idea on how to set it up lets say on my Asus router? Also is it possible to only set certain device IP addresses to only use the VPN? I don't want it to be used on my laptop, phone, tablet or my parents and grandmothers PC's.
If it is similar to the region-unlocking DNS filters used by some here - the Merlin software you are running on your router lets you set DNS by device.

Go to the 'Parental Control' tab and the 'DNS Filtering' tab - once DNS filtering is enabled you can set DNS for each local device. That way you can have some (or all) of your Netflix devices using a particular DNS - while other devices use whatever DNS you prefer.

Fortunately I haven't had to go this route as all my devices are back to getting 5800 kbps 24 / 7 since the Netflix / Comcast agreement earlier this year....
Keenan likes this.
post #5914 of 6399 Old 07-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 41
What we really need are these streaming devices to have a "Advanced Mode" similar to how you can force Android to enable developer mode and allow yourself all kinds of extra options. Well an Advanced Mode with advanced network features (Or just Advanced Network Mode), such as using VPN credentials, Dynamic DNS etc would be most welcome, lol. I'd love to force all the Roku's to use the VPN connection directly to the city of my choice, but keep the Android, Laptops and PC's using the supplied DNS servers of my ISP.
post #5915 of 6399 Old 07-16-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 49
That is the only thing that bugs me about the Roku that you can't use your own DNS but it is no surprise since if you even mention about VPN's and DNS region changes on there forums they lock your post so fast it is unbelievable.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #5916 of 6399 Old 07-16-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
That is the only thing that bugs me about the Roku that you can't use your own DNS but it is no surprise since if you even mention about VPN's and DNS region changes on there forums they lock your post so fast it is unbelievable.

The last time I tried, I could not use Unblock-US with Netflix on my Roku 3, with region set to anything other than USA. It let me see the titles in the selected area's library but it would not let me play anything; I forget the error code. I could play titles in the Netflix app on TiVo Roamio, which has the same UI. It may or may not have been the work of Roku.

EDIT: I just tried it again and with a little bit of fussing I got it to work. I'd set the region to something else and it would show me the US region stuff in the browser, including my My List; when I tried to play something it'd start buffering and then tell me that the title was not available in my region. I found that if I changed to another profile and then changed back it would show the library of the selected region.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #5917 of 6399 Old 07-16-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As above you can set the DNS for your Roku (and separately for every other local device) using the Merlin software you are running.

Your Asus router with Merlin software supports

* Advanced OpenVPN client and server support
* DNS-based Filtering, can be applied globally or per client

Did you check your Docsis 3 levels at 192.168.100.1 (works with your 6141 modem) and signals tab - it will take you 10 seconds and you can rule that out....

Edit when you check your 6141 modem signal levels at 192.168.100.1 they will look something like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Modem_7_16_2014.jpg (195.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by undecided; 07-16-2014 at 10:53 PM.
post #5918 of 6399 Old 07-16-2014, 11:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
undecided just explained to you how to do that in his post here.
post #5919 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are my current signal levels.

Yesterday I did not really have any issues on my Roku 3 that is why I was not on here complaining. I guess Tuesday night was a bad night as sometimes I do get them. I had one last month on Monday too. When I do have this issues I do get heated up and say things here that I regret later but I usually edit my post to get rid of the insult but some of you have already read them before so I apology for that.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2014-07-17_133434.png (33.0 KB, 14 views)

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #5920 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Driving past the AT&T CO yesterday I cracked up because Astound had a big sign on a truck parked on the street in front of the building. Competition is good if not humorous.
post #5921 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here are my current signal levels.
Your signal levels are great - so yes can rule that out as an issue.
post #5922 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

I suggest reddice try a vpn (and if it does not work ask for a refund) on his computer and see if he can maintain HD all the time, and from what CDN's to rule out Netflix as the problem. If he can maintain HD going through a quality VPN (which naturally slows down a connection), then it is his ISP, or other middlemen at fault, or the route it takes, or the device at fault. Or find a way to record what CDN his devices are connecting to and then see if anyone else is having these issues with the same CDN.

I just tried connecting to a NY CDN (2000 miles away) through my VPN and its still holding HD for me, but only if I use the VPN. The only difference is my traffic is encrypted and anonymous meaning the ISP (or any possible middleman) cannot identify the source of the traffic, and thus cannot purposely slow down Netflix because they do not know its Netflix traffic, lol.
post #5923 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Level3: Verizon Intentionally Causing Netflix Congestion

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #5924 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 03:57 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
If I subscribe to a VPN can I put its DNS only in my Sony S1100 BD player that I use for streaming Netflix? I don't see that I need the VPN anywhere else.

In post #5912 I detailed my problem:

FWIW starting about two weeks my 50M Fios+Netflix maximum speed became 480SD with my Sony S1100. Previously I had no trouble getting 5800 SuperHD. Amazon (25M) and the internet (50M) still work fine. Yesterday I put my Sony S790 in and there was no improvement. In fact it had a hard time getting to 480SD staying stuck on 388SD for a while.

I have powered down all components, have current updates, tried the Google DNS, and use wired ethernet.

I have called Netflix twice and they have been very understanding. The second time I spoke to a supervisor and she assured me that the tech department will be looking at this. I have no interest calling Verizon whose support I find useless. I did post in their Fios forum where other people are reporting Netflix problems.

It is hard to understand why I suddenly experienced this extreme throttling. Note that I am watching late at night and I am not watching popular shows.
post #5925 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

That depends on your router and your level of network knowledge know how. I have never heard of a bd player with advanced networking settings like that so I would say no, you cannot do it in the player itself. However if your router is advanced enough with many features it may allow you to specify what device connects to where etc. VPN is mainly designed for businesses and their computers to securely connect through a tunnel, or individuals who are paranoid about privacy and security. It isn't designed for media devices.

Like everything in life, where there is a will there is a way.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #5926 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post
If I subscribe to a VPN can I put its DNS only in my Sony S1100 BD player that I use for streaming Netflix? I don't see that I need the VPN anywhere else.
VPN and DNS are two different things, they are not the same. people often mistake a DNS service that changes your location to a VPN, they are different animals. you can change the DNS settings on a BD player but you cant initiate a VPN tunnel from a BD player.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #5927 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 04:47 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
That depends on your router and your level of network knowledge know how. I have never heard of a bd player with advanced networking settings like that so I would say no, you cannot do it in the player itself. However if your router is advanced enough with many features it may allow you to specify what device connects to where etc. VPN is mainly designed for businesses and their computers to securely connect through a tunnel, or individuals who are paranoid about privacy and security. It isn't designed for media devices.

Like everything in life, where there is a will there is a way.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Thanks for the info. Here is my flow chart:

Verizon Fios Modem/Router (5 lines out) -> one line to DLink Switch (DSS-8+) on 1st floor ->one line to Star Tech fiber media converter -> Netgear switch (ProSAFE 8-Port Switch) used for A/V -> one line to Sony S1100.

I assume neither switch can be programmed and that it would be best to replace the Netgear switch. I really only want to use the VPN for Netflix (I read that VPNs can be problematic which is why I do not want to put in the Fios modem/router.)

What would you recommend as a replacement?

post #5928 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 04:52 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
VPN and DNS are two different things, they are not the same. people often mistake a DNS service that changes your location to a VPN, they are different animals. you can change the DNS settings on a BD player but you cant initiate a VPN tunnel from a BD player.
Thanks. That is what I thought but was hoping there was an easy way to trick the VPN into thinking the BDP was a computer. It looks like SkOrPn has a workaround though.
post #5929 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. That is what I thought but was hoping there was an easy way to trick the VPN into thinking the BDP was a computer. It looks like SkOrPn has a workaround though.
I never said that I have a workaround, lol. I said where there is a will there is a way (I do not have that will, because I already found my way). If you want to use a VPN on a BD player, then you will need a router and VPN service that can manage such a task. A 3rd party firmware with such features flashed onto your current router, such as DDWRT may also work. I do not use a VPN on our Rokus or BD players, I only use it on my HTPC which doubles as my Business computer, because my HTPC is connected to a 55" TV that does not look good below 5800 HD. I simply click a button provided to me by my VPN company (privateinternetaccess), which lives in my taskbar and I get connected within a few seconds when I select the region I want to connect to (usually California). What you want is more involved from what I have heard, and it requires that you have a advanced router and know how to use its advanced features (I do not know how to do that).

See this article for info. Use google for more info and search for something like VPN service on my router, or similar. IMO, this is a waste of time and money trying to directly connect a BD player to a VPN account.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VPN
GGA likes this.
post #5930 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix streamed in HD fine tonight on my Roku 3. I guess Tuesday must have been congested or something was wrong with the CDN.

Cats are the best pets.
post #5931 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quick POLL

what do you guys think will come first?

1. An Internet fast enough for everyone to enjoy streaming video in wonderful HD.

2. A streaming efficient video codec that will allow just about anyone on any Internet speed to enjoy HD video?

I'm guessing the efficient codec will come before the internet is fast enough to not care anymore. Mainly because of 4k and beyond always threatening to saturate any Internet improvements made.

Sent from my Nexus 7
tubetwister likes this.
post #5932 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Quick POLL

1. An Internet fast enough for everyone to enjoy streaming video in wonderful HD.

2. A streaming efficient video codec that will allow just about anyone on any Internet speed to enjoy HD video?

I'm guessing the efficient codec will come before the internet is fast enough to not care anymore. Mainly because of 4k and beyond always threatening to saturate any Internet improvements made.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Number 1., but you're going to hate what it costs.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #5933 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I say #2 ; HEVC decoding is here and will spread this year. Nearly all of this year's 4K TVs will have it (I'm going to buy one); I haven't heard of any STBs with it yet. People will be able to get current quality streaming in half the bandwidth.
tubetwister likes this.

post #5934 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I have a feeling that the internet speeds will take its sweet time becoming any faster then they are now. We were at 5mb DL what seemed like forever, so I expect we will be at 40/5 for the next decade at least. We were locked into a 5 year deal with CL and the 40/5 package, so not sure if the price will change before then. Sure, VDSL2 is moving into more and more rural areas (I'm proof) but with it only being 40/5 or 50/5 max that is just not going to cut it for 4K, not multiple streams per home and multiple homes per neighborhood anyway. It looks like 4K is actually going to take off WAY before then and that is only going to worsen the situation. In fact, I am starting to think the video codec will be later then I would like it to be and 4K will really start bogging down the Internet much worse then we are seeing now. I'm not really interested in 4K as much as I am interested in a better looking 1080p or less data usage, or both at the same time...

I mean the Roku 3 and most if not all BD players and streaming boxes can not be updated to use HEVC so they will have to continue to use H.264 for a very long time to come, and if everyone with 4K TV's are streaming 15000 Kbps streams, where is that bandwidth going to come from? That is almost three times the data bandwidth needed for 4K. And you think were having problems supplying 5800 HD now? Wait until 4K really hits... lol this is going to get real ugly.
post #5935 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I do not use a VPN on our Rokus or BD players, I only use it on my HTPC which doubles as my Business computer, because my HTPC is connected to a 55" TV that does not look good below 5800 HD.
OK you are using a true VPN by the sound of it.

I also have a VPN which I use on my work laptop. In my case I would not use it for streaming - it is for a secure connection to my work and would almost certainly be slower than my normal connection.

However when I travel to China it is very interesting to see the difference which web sites (or web pages) I can see through the VPN vs a direct connection.

VPN may work for some who are comfortable with setting it for moving their Netflix location (either for content or better speed) - however the various DNS spoofers may be easier to set up - either on the device or on routers that support setting DNS per device.
post #5936 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As you say, who cares about 4K video? I want HEVC decoding. Netflix will be encoding at all resolutions in HEVC, not just 4K. As soon as the Vizio P-Series hits the street I'm buying a 4K FALD LED panel with HEVC decoding and 4K Netflix capability. Hopefully there will be a Netflix account setting to block the 4K encodes.

post #5937 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quick POLL

Sent from my Nexus 7
If you really mean everyone maybe never.

If you mean most its probably a combination of 1 and 2.

I am in a rural location without OTA TV, natural gas or city water - yet I am pleasantly surprised that my internet has gone from dial-up to 750 kbps DSL to 6 Mbps DSL to 25 Mbps Cable (supposedly soon to go 50 Mbps) - and the price (if I include internet and phone) is now cheaper than ever......

Last edited by undecided; 07-17-2014 at 10:59 PM.
post #5938 of 6399 Old 07-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah getting say even 40/5 to everyone is a stretch but I do mean most. Everyone at least complaining about current crap video streaming. I'd like to see hevc support in my home but not lose much of the bitrate. Say 4000-5000 kbps using hevc should look better than upconverted DVD and almost as good as todays Bluray. I just am not as happy as I could be with Netflix quality and hopefully hevc brings some sort of pq improvement to the table, not just reduce bandwidth and costs. Know what I am trying to say?

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #5939 of 6399 Old 07-18-2014, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 348
This web page will have all the Netflix testing links you want including a working link for Example Short 23.976 Clear to test your Netflix video stream bit rate and resolution in real time on your PC

http://www.reddit.com/r/NetflixBestO...t_your_netflix

Ofc one can always search the link descriptions on Netflix search to play any equivalent supported Netflix streams for *their other device * or ' smart TV '

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-18-2014 at 02:43 AM.
post #5940 of 6399 Old 07-18-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

In post #5912 I detailed my problem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
What happened to the peering arrangement with Netflix that Verizon's CEO Lowell McAdam was so confident about? All I've seen is finger pointing.http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2460742,00.asp Lets face it, these congestion issues will continue until all parties involved agree to a financial arrangement that includes Open Connect.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page