Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
As I said last night

I have no axe to grind in this. If you were getting 5800 kbps on a nominal 6 Mbps (which was testing 7 - 8 Mbps) connection that is is great. I shared an opinion you corrected me - not a big deal.

This was the point I was trying (maybe clumsily) to make. Your original post had a mixture of the old pre-eyeIO rates (4800 kpbs) and the new rates (5800bps). I was trying to highlight that the new 1080P bit rates were actually 3850/4300/5800 kbps.

Anyway not a big deal and time to move on....
Cool better late than never as they say ! I remember seeing 5800kbs stream (s) though so there may have been some overlap .after a while I didn't pay much attention to it so long as the Supper HD was happening or I thought is was happening anyway . Reason I remember the 5800Kbs was I was looking for it and pleasantly surprised TBH when it showed up....... I did not think it would and it wouldn't sometimes but still often .
My 18mbps service is running a Little slow right now AT 21.38 right now that may be above average due to local conditions but either way I'm not uncomplaining.

ofc its not uncommon for ATT U Verse to over provision to allow for IPTV service bandwidth either. That never ever happened on the old POTS line DSL .
That was one of my points however I did not articulate it quite the way I should have that may have nipped this whole thing in the bud no harm no foul as far as I'm concerned !

I know the ATT performance marks are on the bottom of the barrel maybe a lot of legacy copper DSL and old POTS line infrastructure could account for some of that ,that long as mine works OK I'll keep paying them because I hate Comcast less than ATT and the average throughput probably matches their 50mbps service or surly thier 25mbps they aren't kidding when they say "up to XX mbps " they mean that literally ! I've been there with them .
"

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-19-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6002 of 6477 Old 07-19-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The Android Netflix app is terrible. It takes forever to ramp up and frequently drops down to SD and I thought the ATV3 and PS3 had problems.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #6003 of 6477 Old 07-19-2014, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Another test clip with burned in bitrate display is now available.
http://www.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movi...7260&fdvd=true
Not as cool as the recently added El Fuente though. You'll want to mute the audio while testing.
Spoiler!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140720_001900.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	171122  

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!

Last edited by Westly-C; 07-19-2014 at 10:28 PM.
post #6004 of 6477 Old 07-20-2014, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
The updated post and screenshots from Verizon made an enemy tonight seem pretty clear and should make it real easy for those running the latest Merlin software.

The poster used VyprVPN and you can find the list of servers here

It looks like you can try a three day trial

If I was one of you who was having Netflix issues I would be checking this out.....
post #6005 of 6477 Old 07-20-2014, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Played example short 23.976 short on Netflix /Roku 1 on my Sony led here in the bedroom took about a minute maybe a little longer( I didn't time it ) to hit 4800kbs about another minute maybe less to hit 5800kbs stayed there throughout the video no probs 18 mbps UVerse service running at 21.28 mbps

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #6006 of 6477 Old 07-20-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Another test clip with burned in bitrate display is now available.
http://www.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movi...7260&fdvd=true
Not as cool as the recently added El Fuente though. You'll want to mute the audio while testing.
For reference, this is the link to just the title page if you want to add it to your MyList:
Test Pattern: Downscaling 2997fps 10Min

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6007 of 6477 Old 07-20-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

The Roku 3 Netflix app does have a big buffer as was the case when watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer's "Worst Episode Ever" S6E8. FF through all the singing crap which made a 50 minute episode I watched in only 15 minutes it actually only had to rebuffer a few times but otherwise it just kept playing after FF. Of course the episode is in SD I never tried it with a HD show as the horrible S1E24 of the otherwise campy but good Batman: The Brave and the Bold I just FF all the way to the end credits when they started to sing more than the dialog. I should have done that with Xena Warrior Princess S3E12 which started out so good but was later like nails on a chalkboard.

Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 07-20-2014 at 11:00 AM.
post #6008 of 6477 Old 07-20-2014, 11:25 AM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Re Tubetwister
Or switch isp services ☺

could be a Netflix thing on that Netflix feed ?

Or at maybe Fios took a page out of Comcast's playbook and are throttling the content provider

Could be the load balancing (or something ) went haywire somewhere along the line between the content provider and
Fios or if it's the web in general it could be a hopefully temporary local thing also or it could also be the bay area in no CAL is hogging the internet after all we do own it and all

Just tested 21.14 mbps on my 18mbps ATT U Verse FTTN connection here @ 13:15 hrs today

Problem with docsis 3.0 and maybe FTTP Fios ( I'm assuming that what you have fiber into copper at the home ) may be like Comcast is that local conditions *can choke at peak high local usage* and average throughput is nowhere near the 50mbps plan ceiling but only the occasional peak even under the best of conditions you would be would be hard pressed to maintain much over ~20 maybe 25 mbps if that of average throughput on a 50mbps plan ceiling . Been there with Comcast docsis 3.0. (*If Fios it works similar to Comcast*) if not then everything I just said *may *not apply * Maybe someone here would know ? With Comcast and *maybe * Fios the words "up to xx mbps" really may apply
maybe they just left out the occasional peak language ☺☺ .ofc local conditions vary as will avg throughput results .

No such limitations exist AFAIK with UVerse FTTN or FTTN like Comcast or *maybe Fios FTTH * although the peak throughput is generally lower on some plans but the average throughput is usually consistently close to or above the plan ceiling * under good conditions 24/7 .

24mpbs U verse * may actually provide similar or better average throughput * than Fios or Comcast 50mbps service *in good conditions* ofc Comcast *and maybe Fios *won't tell you that.
The problem is strictly when streaming Netflix. Amazon Instant always comes in at 25M and internet connection speed test shows 58M with 75M Fios. It is a 24/7 problem. There are no other ISPs servicing our area except for cable, which I do not wish to get involved with.

From reading the articles I would guess that one of the internet trolls three weeks ago started throttling my Netflix connection in hopes of extracting $$ from Netflix. I called Netflix twice and they seem sincere in trying to find the problem but not to expect a quick solution.

Eventually the Verizon+Netflix will kick in but who knows when that will be.

Really hate to waste more time and money learning to flash a router and using a VPN for what I hope will only be needed as a temporary solution. I will give it another week and call Netflix to see if they have made any progress.
post #6009 of 6477 Old 07-20-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Why do people think cable is worse than FiOS?

I do wonder though with there so called peering agreements I have not seen anyone here say that performance has gotten better. Many it has gotten worse. I do want FiOS to switch everyone to direct peering so it will put less stress on other CDN's.

Cats are the best pets.
post #6010 of 6477 Old 07-20-2014, 11:52 AM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Why do people think cable is worse than FiOS?

I do wonder though with there so called peering agreements I have not seen anyone here say that performance has gotten better. Many it has gotten worse. I do want FiOS to switch everyone to direct peering so it will put less stress on other CDN's.
I did not mean to imply that cable was worse. I just do not want another subscription and box.

Have you considered using VPN? Seems like you have everything you need.
post #6011 of 6477 Old 07-20-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I have TWC just for the Internet and Dish Network for my TV service.

Cats are the best pets.
post #6012 of 6477 Old 07-20-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
The Android Netflix app is terrible. It takes forever to ramp up and frequently drops down to SD and I thought the ATV3 and PS3 had problems.
I have no problem with that app on Android. Hulu's seems to be screwing up with Chromecast though so need to ping them. My BD player has a different app for Netflix that is old so I don't use it. I use Hulu+ on the BD player because it will actually fill most of the buffer for a series segment. Same with Amazon.

One thing I found about my Chromecast was that I have a UPS and it was maybe too close to the Chromecast causing some interference. I moved it out a bit and those problems went away.

U-Verse is susceptible to the quality of wiring in your house. I have old three wire phone wiring but apparently good enough I don't lose any signal between the box and the gateway (as tested by their tech). A radio near that wiring gets noise with U-Verse that I didn't have with AT&T DSL.
post #6013 of 6477 Old 07-20-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry I did not mean Chromecast I mean watching right on my Nexus 7 tablet which is connected to a strong 5Ghz network in the same room as the router and no other networks nearby. It takes a while to ramp up to HD usually a minute but frequently during the program the video freezes for a half a second and it drops down to SD quite often then slowly ramps up again just to do it again. I also found out that the buffer on the app is less than a minute which is why I have issues.

Cats are the best pets.
post #6014 of 6477 Old 07-20-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

GGA wrote
Quote:
Quote:
The problem is strictly when streaming Netflix. Amazon Instant always comes in at 25M and internet connection speed test shows 58M with 75M Fios. It is a 24/7 problem. There are no other ISPs servicing our area except for cable, which I do not wish to get involved with.

From reading the articles I would guess that one of the internet trolls three weeks ago started throttling my Netflix connection in hopes of extracting $$ from Netflix. I called Netflix twice and they seem sincere in trying to find the problem but not to expect a quick solution.

Eventually the Verizon+Netflix will kick in but who knows when that will be.

Really hate to waste more time and money learning to flash a router and using a VPN for what I hope will only be needed as a temporary solution. I will give it another week and call Netflix to see if they have made any progress.

re tubetwister

58 out of 75mbps ceiling is decent throughput not bad . avg throughput AFAIK anyway is always lower on cable and *maybe some* fibre FTTP than the plan ceiling .

I used to get Netflix super HD 5800k on a 6 mbps ATT connection albiet it always ran in the high 7's .I'm on an ATT 18 mbps service now . Netflix is working just like TV here (so it seems ) 5800K streaming and all just takes a brief moment to ramp up to 5800K thats all .

Sounds like Verizon monkey business alright I think ATT was doing the same thing just not nearly as severe just enough to make Netflix buffer frequently and annoyingly now and again and ramp up real slow I think they were being subtle about it ?

Since they (ATT) publicly announced their intention to buy out Dish TV these things remarkably stooped cold altogether not only that I think they over provisioning some of the networks to allow for improved ATT U Verse IPTV broadband performance my connection is typically 2-3 -( sometimes 4 ) mbps above the plan ceiling now almost 24/7 Obviously they don't want controversy getting to the federal regulators just right now .

I had Verizon cell phones until maybe mid 2005 what I can say is IMO they are the only company on the planet I can think of off hand that is worse than Comcast in every respect and metric !

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-20-2014 at 04:17 PM.
post #6015 of 6477 Old 07-20-2014, 04:13 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quote:
GGA wrote

re tubetwister

58 out of 75mbps ceiling is decent throughput not bad . avg throughput AFAIK anyway is always lower on cable and *maybe some* fibre FTTP than the plan ceiling .

Sounds like Verizon monkey business alright I think ATT was doing the same thing just not nearly as severe just enough to make Netflix buffer frequently and annoyingly now and again and ramp up real slow I think they were being subtle about it ?

Since they (ATT) publicly announced their intention to buy out Dish TV these things remarkably stooped cold altogether not only that I think they over provisioning some of the networks to allow for improved ATT U Verse IPTV broadband performance my connection is typically 2-3 -( sometimes 4 ) mbps above the plan ceiling now almost 24/7 Obviously they don't want controversy getting to the federal regulators just right now .

I had Verizon cell phones until maybe mid 2005 what I can say is IMO they are the only company on the planet I can think of off hand that is worse than Comcast in every respect and metric !
BTW my Netflix even with these minimum speeds never has to buffer. Thank goodness for small favors.
post #6016 of 6477 Old 07-20-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I have no problem with that app on Android. Hulu's seems to be screwing up with Chromecast though so need to ping them. .

U-Verse is susceptible to the quality of wiring in your house. I have old three wire phone wiring but apparently good enough I don't lose any signal between the box and the gateway (as tested by their tech). A radio near that wiring gets noise with U-Verse that I didn't have with AT&T DSL.
Re Tubetwister

I have a home run from the nib (Telco network interface box ) at the house to the wall jack on my ATT U verse internet only . Home Run is usually best way to go ...........OTOH if your pairs are testing fine with low noise you are good to go!

No IPTV or VOIP or POTS line telephone on the line either . Have Dish TV and T mobile for those services .
18 mbps service is plenty for my uses including Amazon instant and Netflix .

Good luck with getting your Netflix regular again

post #6017 of 6477 Old 07-20-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix fluctuated during Alias. Dropped down to SD but ramped up quicker than usual. Down right now is showing issues. I am not going to fight it tonight. Instead I am watching Covert Affairs on Amazon Fire TV.

Cats are the best pets.
post #6018 of 6477 Old 07-20-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Covert Affairs started our super sharp and staid that way. Still don't get why Netflix is the only service that the video starts out horrible. YouTube and other channels like the WSJ all start our great. Even streaming live channels are great. Someone needs to release a hardware device that can optimize and precache the stream like the fire TV does for Amazon Instant.

Cats are the best pets.
post #6019 of 6477 Old 07-21-2014, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Just played Netflix /Roku Example Short 23.976 again bandwidth from isp (ATT U Verse) was 21.4 mbps on 18 mbps service

Beginning ramped up to 3000 kbps in ~ 45 sec sec then 4300kbps at ~ 1 M 5800kbs at 3 minutes
stayed there seemed to take a little longer to hit 5800kbps than last time I played it . 01:35 21 July 014

post #6020 of 6477 Old 07-21-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
There must have been quite a bit of traffic on Netflix Sunday night since I noticed the image quality slipping back and forth between HD and a lower resolution. I haven't seen this kind of behavior in some time.
reddice likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6021 of 6477 Old 07-21-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
There must have been quite a bit of traffic on Netflix Sunday night since I noticed the image quality slipping back and forth between HD and a lower resolution. I haven't seen this kind of behavior in some time.
Glad it was not me although the Roku 3 handled it great. The other streamers would have crapped out dropping down to sub SD. I knew after watching Alias I decided I was still in the spy mood so I watched Covert Affairs on Amazon Fire TV.

Cats are the best pets.
post #6022 of 6477 Old 07-21-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 89
CEO Needs a VPN Just to Stream Netflix on a 75 Mbps FiOS Line
by Karl Bode 04:24PM Friday Jul 18 2014
Colin Nederkoorn, CEO of software company Customer.io is a bit annoyed that his 75 Mbps FiOS connection can't stream a Netflix video.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/C...OS-Line-129760

Gary J
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6023 of 6477 Old 07-21-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Re Tubetwister

I have a home run from the nib (Telco network interface box ) at the house to the wall jack on my ATT U verse internet only . Home Run is usually best way to go ...........OTOH if your pairs are testing fine with low noise you are good to go!

No IPTV or VOIP or POTS line telephone on the line either . Have Dish TV and T mobile for those services .
18 mbps service is plenty for my uses including Amazon instant and Netflix .

Good luck with getting your Netflix regular again
Little problem with Netflix except for some evenings like Sunday and Monday where quality can drop. Hulu+ is having problems but mainly using Chromecast. If I use the ancient app on the BD player then there aren't rebuffering problems and ads don't freeze which can make a 15 second ad run 1 minute. However looking on Google Play at the Hulu app lots of people are alsohaving this problem with Chromecast. It worked pretty well until a couple months back so I just started watching Hulu from the BD player.
post #6024 of 6477 Old 07-21-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
CEO Needs a VPN Just to Stream Netflix on a 75 Mbps FiOS Line
by Karl Bode 04:24PM Friday Jul 18 2014
Colin Nederkoorn, CEO of software company Customer.io is a bit annoyed that his 75 Mbps FiOS connection can't stream a Netflix video.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/C...OS-Line-129760
This subject has been covered:

Netflix streaming quality

Ian
tubetwister likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6025 of 6477 Old 07-21-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 426
So I cancelled my netflix streaming little over a month ago and since have been only using amazon prime and its regular old 720p for my tv show streaming. I gotta say not having the annoying transition from SuperHD to HD/SD is well worth the trade back down to 720p and I now can watch full shows without distraction again. You know its bad when your wife can see the shifts and mentions something.
reddice likes this.
post #6026 of 6477 Old 07-21-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Amazon has 1080P streaming if you have a device with the proper Amazon app. But Amazon streaming can also shift back and forth between SD and HD too.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #6027 of 6477 Old 07-21-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Amazon has 1080P streaming if you have a device with the proper Amazon app. But Amazon streaming can also shift back and forth between SD and HD too.
I didn't realize that. thank god I don't have the proper device then!....your comment makes me wonder if I'd have had better luck with an 'inferior' device that limited netflix to 720p as well...
post #6028 of 6477 Old 07-21-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Amazon 1080p is supposed 10 Mbps, making it extremely expensive if you have a bandwidth cap on your Internet service.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #6029 of 6477 Old 07-21-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
So I cancelled my netflix streaming little over a month ago and since have been only using amazon prime and its regular old 720p for my tv show streaming. I gotta say not having the annoying transition from SuperHD to HD/SD is well worth the trade back down to 720p and I now can watch full shows without distraction again. You know its bad when your wife can see the shifts and mentions something.
In my experience here Amazon HD looks pretty good often better than Netflix super HD but not always that much

Thing is Amazon instant uses a much higher 720p bit rate than Netflix something like ~ 9.7 Mbps (on supported devices) vs maybe ~3 Mbps for 750p Netflix even more than Netflix 1080p HD or super HD stream so Amazon 720p can look very good in any event on win 7x PC ~3Mbps probably would probably be tops don't know about win 8 Silverlight with Amazon .

Amazon 1080p HD has a much higher bit rate than Netflix 1080p and super HD as well so they aren't giving up any picture quality to Netflix ,quite to the contrary actually . ...................OTOH they use a lot more bandwidth for HD

I believe Amazon Instant (on supported devices ) uses something like 12-13 Mbps on 1080p HD instead of the usual ~5-6 Mbps on Netflix super HD

Amazon *may be constant bit rate* vs Netflix VBR (variable bit rate adaptive streaming ) and *maybe *more efficient encodes.
mo949 likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-21-2014 at 06:25 PM.
post #6030 of 6477 Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Thing is Amazon instant uses a much higher 720p bit rate than Netflix probably closer to Netflix 1080p HD or super HD stream so Amazon 720p can look very good

Not unless they've upgraded it. Amazon's 720p has always been <= 3000 Kbps in the past, including audio. Netflix's highest bit rate 720p is 3000 Kbps. Netflix's 3K 720p is also encoded with eyeIO technology (awarded THX certification at 5800 Kbps), which claims to deliver the same PQ in 50%-60% the bandwidth used by other AVC encoders.

The following is a graph of bandwidth consumption of Ong Bak 2: The Beginning (a very encoder-challenging sequence of martial arts combat in the rain), as streamed from Amazon to a Roku 2 XS:

Spoiler!

(I'd usually crop and re-scale the graph, adding labels, but I don't feel like it ). The data was acquired on 10/13/2012. Sadly, it's not Prime anymore or I'd ask one of you running router firmware with a bandwidth monitor to take a look at it now.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page