post #6031 of 6048 Old 07-21-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Not unless they've upgraded it. Amazon's 720p has always been <= 3000 Kbps in the past, including audio. Netflix's highest bit rate 720p is 3000 Kbps. Netflix's 3K 720p is also encoded with eyeIO technology (awarded THX certification at 5800 Kbps), which claims to deliver the same PQ in 50%-60% the bandwidth used by other AVC encoders.

The following is a graph of bandwidth consumption of Ong Bak 2: The Beginning (a very encoder-challenging sequence of martial arts combat in the rain), as streamed from Amazon to a Roku 2 XS:

(I'd usually crop and re-scale the graph, adding labels, but I don't feel like it ). The data was acquired on 10/13/2012. Sadly, it's not Prime anymore or I'd ask one of you running router firmware with a bandwidth monitor to take a look at it now.
Re Tubetwister

I'm just going by the post I linked,

I haven't seen any other info on that that's why I said "I believe Amazon is using ....." and mentioned encode efficiency at the end . I'll leave the science of that to to you ☺☺☺looks like it works pretty good though

OTOH Amazon HD 1080p/720p on the Roku seems to be looking better than B4 now .

I'm using a Stock ATT U Verse 3801 RGW WIFI thingy so no bandwith monitering or jail breaking software there it would be interesting to see what Roku throughput on Amazon instant is though I would like to see that .

OTOH with bandwidth caps Netflix is the place to be and also they have much more content and TBH it looks fine
2 me in any of the 1080p steps .

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-21-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 6048 Old 07-21-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
In my experience here Amazon HD looks pretty good often better than Netflix super HD but not always that much

Thing is Amazon instant uses a much higher 720p bit rate than Netflix something like ~ 9.7 Mbps (on supported devices)

I believe Amazon Instant (on supported devices ) uses something like 12-13 Mbps on 1080p HD instead of the usual ~5-6 Mbps on Netflix super HD
Agreed Amazon 1080P HD does indeed look better than Netflix 1080P

Sorry I may have mislead you on the 720P rates on the Fire TV. Those were my measurements on Rubicon. I am now pretty sure the 9.75 Mbps average over the entire two episodes was 1080P. When the Fire TV was released it would show a 1080P logo when streaming at 1080P from Amazon Instant. For the last month or so the 1080P logo has disappeared - but not I think the 1080P streaming.

Yes as you quote I have seen 12 - 13 Mpbs (and higher) 10 minute averages on some Amazon Instant titles - although again to get a more accurate number I think I need to play the entire movie and divide the data downloaded by the length of the movie. The 10 minute averages are a snapshot - but may not represent the average over the movie. When I have time to do a complete movie I may try this.

Attached is the first 10 minutes of Marvel's Avengers on a Fire TV on Amazon Instant. As you can see it averages a surprisingly high 14.8 Mbps - but does include filling the buffer at the start of playback. The average streaming late is likely to be somewhat lower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marvels Avengers Fire TV.jpg (85.8 KB, 19 views)
post #6033 of 6048 Old 07-21-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
Attached is the first 10 minutes of Marvel's Avengers on a Fire TV on Amazon Instant. As you can see it averages a surprisingly high 14.8 Mbps - but does include filling the buffer at the start of playback. The average streaming late is likely to be somewhat lower.

If you can, try constraining the output to 720p and see what you get.

I was running Tomato on a venerable old Linksys WRT45g, but my housemate/landlord moved out, taking his cable modem and router with him. I bought a cheap ASUS RT-N16 because you can load custom firmware into it, but I've been too lazy to research the capabilities of the various options.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #6034 of 6048 Old 07-22-2014, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
Agreed Amazon 1080P HD does indeed look better than Netflix 1080P

Sorry I may have mislead you on the 720P rates on the Fire TV. Those were my measurements on Rubicon. I am now pretty sure the 9.75 Mbps average over the entire two episodes was 1080P. When the Fire TV was released it would show a 1080P logo when streaming at 1080P from Amazon Instant. For the last month or so the 1080P logo has disappeared - but not I think the 1080P streaming.

Yes as you quote I have seen 12 - 13 Mpbs (and higher) 10 minute averages on some Amazon Instant titles - although again to get a more accurate number I think I need to play the entire movie and divide the data downloaded by the length of the movie. The 10 minute averages are a snapshot - but may not represent the average over the movie. When I have time to do a complete movie I may try this.

Re Tubetwister

Thanks for hooking us up with what you have so far I had no clue at all about Amazon Bit Rates B4 today
seems like you know a ton more about this stuff (plenty ) ,more than I do probably than I thought at first !

I owe you one ..............but I did get 5800 kbs pretty regular on a 6 mbps over provisioned service .
it did surprise me though .... I about fell out of my chair when I first saw it !

My 18 mbps is like that it hangs out in the 20 - 21's I don't think ever seen it much below 20 mbps
Netflix is taking longer to ramp up to 5800kbps last couple of days maybe it was the weekend thing .

Sometimes If I can score a prime movie or free show @ 1080p on Amazon instead of Netflix I watch it there usually stays where its supposed to and can look a little better sometimes and they don't make you wait much ramping up usually

I like the new genres they added on the front page sometimes they have a lot of decent watchable stuff on prime you can't find any where else also lots of PBS stuff also probably almost as much as PBS has tons .

Amazon 720p feed worked out well also . Not the place 2B if U have bandwidth caps though
Netflix is looking better lately though and they have lot of stuff between those 2 its a good set up .

regards

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-22-2014 at 03:47 AM.
post #6035 of 6048 Old 07-22-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Tried to watch The Twilight Zone on the Roku 3 last night at 7 PM but like Sunday night it did not look so great. Had bad micro blockage and banding which I can tell was in there crappy 720p encode. I tried the ATV3 and I was shocked that it ramped up to 1080p no micro blockage and it was clearer. After I watched Alias and the 4400 which stayed in Super HD most of the time with only a couple of small dips to 720p or SD but a quick ramp up. As I said traffic is up the last few days. Also since everyone of my streaming devices now connects to Atlanta I see it goes through three Level 3 hops but when it hits Atlanta Level 3 I get timeouts. I really wish I would connect me back to NYC even though the difference was small as it still went though crappy Level 3 at least it was only one hop.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #6036 of 6048 Old 07-22-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 554
http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/21/tech...html?hpt=hp_t2

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #6037 of 6048 Old 07-22-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
...36 million subscribers in the U.S. and they were all watching something Sunday night.
Brian Conrad likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6038 of 6048 Old 07-22-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 100
My "ancient" Sony player with Amazon has the interface which shows how much is buffered. Some of the Hulu+ TV episode when they return to the episode from an ad will often show the buffer full or nearly full for a 6 minute segment. For Amazon the FX shows often have a promo for another show up front and by the time it's finish the buffer is way ahead. Some of the shows do indeed look like they are 1080p including FX shows which I would have expected to be just 720p. And this is a rather recent development. Netflix on that player got the new interface but still doesn't interface well with the Sony API to do much more than 720p (though I'm sure the API supports it). For Netflix I use the Chromecast which supports SuperHD.
post #6039 of 6048 Old 07-22-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I'd like to know what device they used for the video loop playing in the background at the 2 min mark. The previous PS3-style app that was playing on the screen behind the anchor and guest, was moving smooth and fast. There were 2 ''Recently Watch by'' rows, each with different names. And small Facebook pictures in the title summary column underneath the description.

None of the title covers were anything that I recognized as recent additions though. Perhaps it was just some video that had been recorded years ago and simply selected for playback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CNN Video screencap Netflix app.JPG (62.7 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg CNN Video screencap Netflix app2.JPG (45.3 KB, 98 views)

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #6040 of 6048 Old 07-22-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
I'd like to know what device they used for the video loop playing in the background at the 2 min mark. The previous PS3-style app that was playing on the screen behind the anchor and guest, was moving smooth and fast.

It's obviously on a PS3 which hasn't been updated to the latest Netflix UI. All of those features were in it, though I'm not sure about the "Recently Watched By ..." with different names. Are those the names of Profiles on the account or of Facebook friends? I only recently enabled Facebook integration (to get a custom Profile icon); I only have a Facebook account because some businesses have had offers, etc, which require it. I've also used it to log into some sites without going through the trouble of creating an account, when I wanted to post a comment. I never log into it, but I think that my ex-housemate became my Facebook friend somehow and I think that she's the only one and if she has a Netflix account, she doesn't watch anything that I've come across.

post #6041 of 6048 Old 07-22-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Michael that is what I use Facebook only for to log into sites like Vevo without having to create a account. I don't have or want any friends on Facebook.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #6042 of 6048 Old 07-22-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
It's obviously on a PS3 which hasn't been updated to the latest Netflix UI. .
Or a smart TV. That looks like the UI on my Panny S60.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6043 of 6048 Old 07-22-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Or a smart TV. That looks like the UI on my Panny S60.
If you look closely you'll see it's like this:

with SELECT for "Just for Kids", TRIANGLE for "Search". You'll notice in the one above includes SQUARE for "Profiles" (and it says "Netflix Kids" instead of "Just for Kids"); this would seem to be a pre-Profiles version. SELECT, TRIANGLE and SQUARE are PS3 controller face buttons. There are versions of that UI many other platforms, but they generally have "Search", "Netflix Kids" and "Profiles" in a row of buttons above "My List" which you scroll to like it was one of the genre rows, like this:

The buttons can be scrolled off screen, like any of the genre rows. My Panasonic and Sony Blu-ray players and my WD TV Live have the old common UI with a menu row above "My List" and my PS3, Xbox 360, TiVo Roamio, TiVo Premiere and Roku 3 have the new common UI.

post #6044 of 6048 Old 07-22-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix played great on the ATV3 tonight go figure. Also my credits are not shrinking which is a plus but I wonder why since they added post play.

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #6045 of 6048 Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting read.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...rizon-customer

So you can set up a VPN using software does that mean you have to leave your computer on at all times. I would not care about only being able to watch Netflix on the computer since Fox, Sony and Paramount (just the movies) cripple the video to only 480p (except Disney which allows up to 720p) and reserve 1080p playback to TV devices only.

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #6046 of 6048 Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Interesting read.

So you can set up a VPN using software does that mean you have to leave your computer on at all times. I would not care about only being able to watch Netflix on the computer since Fox, Sony and Paramount (just the movies) cripple the video to only 480p (except Disney which allows up to 720p) and reserve 1080p playback to TV devices only.
Never used a VPN B4 but I don't see why you couldn't switch back and forth in Win /network proxy /vpn /settings .
AFAIK you would just need a VPN ip resolver address and then after you get there maybe log in credentials (or cookies ) maybe once you get there on open VPN you probably don't even need that .

post #6047 of 6048 Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Interesting read.

You have Asus software. You could use the OpenVPN support built into the router to create a tunnel to the service and make it available to a special SSID for tunneled traffic.
undecided likes this.
post #6048 of 6048 Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Interesting read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post
You have Asus software. You could use the OpenVPN support built into the router to create a tunnel to the service and make it available to a special SSID for tunneled traffic.
Yes reddice is also running Merlin firmware on his Asus router and as has been posted before it should be pretty easy to set up using OpenVPN and these instructions...

https://www.goldenfrog.com/support/vyprvpn/faq/general
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List