Forum Jump: 
 66Likes

post #6061 of 6079 Old 07-26-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Unblock will not interfere with any file downloading or any other internet activity.
reddice likes this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 6079 Old 07-26-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
My 2012 DMP-BDT220 also has the old common Netflix UI, but it has been updated to have Profiles, Kids and Post-play as they gradually appeared on other platforms. That version of the UI can have its web-tech components (JavaScript and HTML code, etc) updated w/o a firmware update by the OEM. I recall that Profiles turned up simultaneously on the BDT220, WD TV Live, Sony BDP-S390 and PS3 on the day it was announced.

The Netflix player on the BDT110 looks almost identical, but it seems to use a different version of the video encodes; "Example Short 23.976" in that set does not have bit rate/resolution information on it. It's also constrained to 720p and has a bug which never got fixed, outputting a blank black frame every time it switched to an encode of a different bit rate.
Panasonic told me they only do updates for two years. My DMP85 BD player never received a firmware update for the UI. I don't expect an update on my S60 either, which is fine with me since, as I posted before, my current UI shows Super HD, and allows me to re-start a program from the beginning. I really don't have much use for the new features.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 07-26-2014 at 08:52 AM.
post #6063 of 6079 Old 07-26-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Panasonic told me they only do updates for two years. My DMP85 BD player never received a firmware update for the UI. I don't expect an update on my S60 either, which is fine with me since, as I posted before, my current UI shows Super HD, and allows me to re-start a program from the beginning. I really don't have much use for the new features.

The BDT110 actually got an update in 2014, more than 3 years after its launch. It got 7 firmware updates in 2011, 2 in 2012 and none in 2013 (see release notes here). The release notes say that one of the things that the 2014 update addresses is "Netflix connectivity"; I installed it and couldn't find any visible differences in the way that Netflix looks or works.

The other item it fixes is "Playability of Blu-ray Discâ„¢"; one of these issues must have been a huge problem for some group of users for them to spend money updating it over 3 years after product launch.

My favorite version of the Netflix HTML5/Webkit UI was this one:

It featured tons of genres and subgenres and could display up to 250 titles for each. The BDT110 had that one for over a year after the rest of my device upgraded to the last version.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #6064 of 6079 Old 07-26-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
The BDT110 actually got an update in 2014, more than 3 years after its launch. It got 7 firmware updates in 2011, 2 in 2012 and none in 2013 (see release notes here). The release notes say that one of the things that the 2014 update addresses is "Netflix connectivity"; I installed it and couldn't find any visible differences in the way that Netflix looks or works.

The other item it fixes is "Playability of Blu-ray Discâ„¢"; one of these issues must have been a huge problem for some group of users for them to spend money updating it over 3 years after product launch.
I believe Panasonic will continue to update due to technical issues, but not upgrades which would include the latest interface.

Ian

post #6065 of 6079 Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I still can't believe the s5100 still has the old interface. All thru changed was the icon. It only came out last year and it is already abandoned.

Wonder why the PS3 gets the updates when it originally came out in 2006?

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #6066 of 6079 Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I still can't believe the s5100 still has the old interface. All thru changed was the icon. It only came out last year and it is already abandoned.

Because the PS3 is the most used Netflix player.
post #6067 of 6079 Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Xbox 360 still gets updates (same UI now as the PS3, with Kinect voice control) and it came out a year earlier.

Game consoles sell an order of magnitude more than other platforms and can be updated without requiring a system update. Updating your BDP with the new UI will require a firmware update since the resident Netflix code has changed radically (they flushed HTML5/WebKit and went with their own JavaScript engine).
post #6068 of 6079 Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I started watching a netflix stream with Xbox one and it was atrocious?
Which players or streamers do HD streaming and 4K too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6069 of 6079 Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Believe those apps are currently limited to 4K displays. That capability is on my Samsung F9000 (w/2014 UHD Kit) Netflix app. Any player/streamer would require h.265 and HDMI 2.0 to output 4K/60 at 4:4:4 or 4:2:2.
post #6070 of 6079 Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Believe those apps are currently limited to 4K displays. That capability is on my Samsung F9000 (w/2014 UHD Kit) Netflix app. Any player/streamer would require h.265 and HDMI 2.0 to output 4K/60 at 4:4:4 or 4:2:2.
Thanks.
So assuming none of new Sony 4K TV shall be compatible?
post #6071 of 6079 Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

using oppo103D to ZT60 and quality is excellent

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #6072 of 6079 Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Of products shipping now, AFAIK, only the Netflix players in some 2014 4K TVs and a couple of strange, expensive boxes from Sony, which only work with Sony TVs.

Netflix has only a very few 4K titles. I haven't heard of anyone else streaming 4K yet, which, of course, doesn't mean that no one else is .

What titles did you watch with poor picture quality? Have you tried playing "Example Short 23.976" or "El Fuente: 60 MP10" (test clips with bit rate/resolution info written on each of their constituent video encodes) to see what kind of bandwidth you're getting from Netflix?

Last edited by michaeltscott; Yesterday at 01:11 PM.
post #6073 of 6079 Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Netflix update the UI on my Sony BDP-480S but didn't update the interface to the player API since they use Sony's built-in player. The Sony API isn't particularly easy to use and I passed on using it for Myst on the PSP when I developed it in 2005 and wrote a CinePak player since the original files were CinePak anyway. Later the API improved but it was too late.

Now for my rant. Comcast is a welfare recipient of a friend who is visiting. He has HBO GO and set it up for my network to watch a few shows using Chromecast. HBO buffered like hell on his Mac and then we tried the app on my Android phone. It buffered a couple times then we were able to play the rest of a "Silicon Valley" episode with no rebuffering. But that was late afternoon. In the evening we wanted to watch "Leftovers" but it just didn't want play without frequent rebuffering. So I ran "13 Sins" (good dark comedy BTW) on Netflix and it rarely gave us any SuperHD and was rebuffering occasionally. But the film was so entertaining we didn't want to give up in spite of the "we're having troubles playing this title for you" warnings. F that I just start it again anyway and that sometimes works.

I think the hot Saturday night meant that more people were staying home clogging up the net watching NF. Around here they might be doing something out and Saturday nights aren't often so bad but Sunday and Monday are terrible. Sunday is usually a disc night for me and Monday I have shows on Amazon to catch up with and they're no problem.

With HBO GO the last Chromecast update busted it for a lot of people. Where do they hire their idiot programmers? Oh I see, us old guys don't know anything (I've been developing for Android since early 2009). But on a broader scale folks getting on PC's and Macs are complaining too. Looks like HBO doesn't want to spend anymore money on servers (probably most of the budget goes for copy protection knowing Time-Warner).

Netflix with Chromecast also has troubles if there is another smartphone in the room using an adjacent wifi channel. The rebuffering was so bad last night I wanted to throw something at the screen thought that's a great idea for a new game so am going to write one which you can throw things at your ISP.
post #6074 of 6079 Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Thanks.
So assuming none of new Sony 4K TV shall be compatible?

I haven't followed specs on new Sony 4K displays; however, I believe 2014 models can probably stream Netflix 4K.
post #6075 of 6079 Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
HBO Go has always worked fine for me on an Apple TV with Comcast ISP (my HBO Go subscription is with DirecTV). I just don't think the HBO Go quality is as good most other streaming services. It sits somewhere between Hulu+ and Netlix SuperHD - OK but not great . When I have checked its between 4 - 5 Mbps second streaming speed.

I would rather watch HBO Go On Demand via DirecTV (if the show is available) or even better if it is one of the back catalog available on Amazon Instant using the Fire TV with the Amazon Instant 10 Mbps 1080P streams.

Last edited by undecided; Yesterday at 11:09 PM.
post #6076 of 6079 Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
I haven't followed specs on new Sony 4K displays; however, I believe 2014 models can probably stream Netflix 4K.

I believe that pretty much all 2014 4K TVs are 4K capable (HEVC decoding) with 4K Netflix playback. Some of the budget brands like Seiki, TCL and Hisense might not be.

post #6077 of 6079 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

HBO GO works fine on my Roku, but sucks on my PC and MAC.

Ian

post #6078 of 6079 Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I think the hot Saturday night meant that more people were staying home clogging up the net watching NF. Around here they might be doing something out and Saturday nights aren't often so bad but Sunday and Monday are terrible.
I agree. Saturday does not really give me issues with Netflix but lately since the summer started Sundays and Mondays are the worst. Don't get it since there is so much crap on TV well on the cable networks the cord cutters have nothing to watch those days.

I guess Netflix must think we all have bad eyesight that we can't tell the difference from them sharp eyeIO encodes that drop down to there crappy vc1 SD encodes.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; Yesterday at 08:39 PM.
post #6079 of 6079 Old Today, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Not sure what your talking about, Sunday and Monday evenings are easily the most entertaining nights of the week. Sunday has both The Last Ship and Falling Skies and Monday has Under the Dome. These shows glue my entire family to the TV like flies on sticky strips.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List