82Likes

post #6121 of 6139 Old 07-30-2014, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Chances of getting a good Netflix picture on Verizon right now Verizon video performance test link

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; Yesterday at 12:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 6139 Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Still wonder why TWC is left in the dark. Maybe because most don't have issues as I don't most of the time except for Sunday and Monday nights which seem to be the worst for me. Last night was great though.

I am hoping the recent deal with AT&T and Verizon will reduce the load on Level 3 as I always connect to Atlanta and I go though three Level 3 hops before hitting the Netflix CDN in Atlanta.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; Yesterday at 07:46 AM.
post #6123 of 6139 Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Chances of getting a good Netflix picture on Verizon right now Verizon video performance test link
What the heck was that.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #6124 of 6139 Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
In this 'Netflix Streaming Quality' thread (which seems appropriately titled) the funny thing is there is little recent complaining about Netflix quality apart from a few (quite vocal ) posters.

It's the same if you frequent other forums - so it seems the issues got worked out between Netflix and most ISPs (and Open Connect wasn't necessarily the answer). The world didn't end - my Netflix monthly fee is the same and Netflix continues to offer great value and add titles.

The exception seems to be that there are still issues for many Verizon customers - which seems strange given that Verizon and Netflix supposedly have an agreement and some issues for AT&T Uverse customers (which may be broader than just Netflix).

Edit - gadgtfreek sorry I didn't read your recent posts - hopefully the AT&T/Netflix agreement you quote will fix your issues as well. Since the Comcast / Netflix agreement I have had zero issues.
Yeah, I mean superHD was not an issue for me with 6mbps down in the past, last few months Ive been struggling to hit 480p. Im hoping something changes.
reddice likes this.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #6125 of 6139 Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Ok, I'm getting absolutely desperate here so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a Sony S5100 that I use for my streaming of Netflix. I have centurylink and have a stable connection around 37mbps. Unfortunately, when I play a movie that is HD capable I'm only able to get 480p, nothing higher. Here's the rundown of my setup...

I have my modem up in my living room and I have an ethernet cable running down to the basement connecting to a router. I then have an additional ethernet cable running from this router to another router, which is where my blu player is connected to. So, in between the blu ray player and the modem there are two routers. I thought that maybe this is the reason for the slow connection.

So, I took my blu player upstairs and connected it straight to the modem itself. What happens? Bam, in about 10 seconds it shows it's running 1080p. I then thought, "Hmm, maybe I will run a test of the connection speed with my computer with the router it was running off of." I went to speedtest.net and plugged in my computer to that router to run a test. I got 37mbps, a speed that should have no problem getting 1080p.

I don't really understand why it won't run in HD. I'm running an HD projector downstairs, the Benq 1080ST and I can't imagine this is the reason either.

So, anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Why in the world is this happening if I'm getting a strong connection/speed with that router? Please help! Thanks so much!
post #6126 of 6139 Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Ok, I'm getting absolutely desperate here so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a Sony S5100 that I use for my streaming of Netflix. I have centurylink and have a stable connection around 37mbps. Unfortunately, when I play a movie that is HD capable I'm only able to get 480p, nothing higher. Here's the rundown of my setup...

I have my modem up in my living room and I have an ethernet cable running down to the basement connecting to a router. I then have an additional ethernet cable running from this router to another router, which is where my blu player is connected to. So, in between the blu ray player and the modem there are two routers. I thought that maybe this is the reason for the slow connection.

So, I took my blu player upstairs and connected it straight to the modem itself. What happens? Bam, in about 10 seconds it shows it's running 1080p. I then thought, "Hmm, maybe I will run a test of the connection speed with my computer with the router it was running off of." I went to speedtest.net and plugged in my computer to that router to run a test. I got 37mbps, a speed that should have no problem getting 1080p.

I don't really understand why it won't run in HD. I'm running an HD projector downstairs, the Benq 1080ST and I can't imagine this is the reason either.

So, anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Why in the world is this happening if I'm getting a strong connection/speed with that router? Please help! Thanks so much!
you are most likely being double NAT'd because you are running two routers. get rid of that second router and get a switch. if you are savvy enough, then turn that second router into a switch, if you are not, then buy a switch, thats what switches are for.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #6127 of 6139 Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
you are most likely being double NAT'd because you are running two routers. get rid of that second router and get a switch. if you are savvy enough, then turn that second router into a switch, if you are not, then buy a switch, thats what switches are for.
exactly .. I run multi switches .. they are cheap, effective and easy to use ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #6128 of 6139 Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
The only time I'd use a second router is if it was set to operate as a switch only and/or a WiFi access point.
post #6129 of 6139 Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Yeah, I mean superHD was not an issue for me with 6mbps down in the past, last few months Ive been struggling to hit 480p. Im hoping something changes.
Apparently, nothing will change. With my S790, I can get `080p,,,but only at 2:30 - 3:00...AM!

NF used to work just fine, until the last several months. Now...might as well watch VHS
reddice likes this.

post #6130 of 6139 Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this stuff. Boy, those Netflix customer service reps do their best to blame others. The guy I spoke to said, "Yeah, we even provide 4K streaming but most people don't even know about that." I'm thinking to myself, "Yeah...sure you can. How about you just find a way to get me 720p at 6pm on a Wednesday evening?"

Oh well...
reddice likes this.
post #6131 of 6139 Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
The guy I spoke to said, "Yeah, we even provide 4K streaming but most people don't even know about that."

Very, very few people have the required equipment and they probably all know it, since Netflix 4K streams are close to being the only source of 4K video at this point. People who bought 4K televisions this year (I'm not sure about cheap ones, like Hisense and Seiki) and people with Sony 4K televisions who bought one of their $600 4K media players are the entire audience (the media players have HDDs and come pre-loaded with a bunch of free 4K video) . And to get 4K from Netflix they'll have to be able to sustain a 15.6 Mbps stream (plus some bandwidth headroom to stay ahead of the stream).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #6132 of 6139 Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Alias played flawless after watching Once Upon A Time which usually gives me problems beautiful Super HD until around 9PM then it drops down to 720p on my PS4 which I can see bad banding and macroblockage. Also Netflix 720p looks like total crap. Amazon at least at 720p looks very close to 1080p no macroblockage or banding. I am sick of buying every streaming device under the sun for always should be flawless Netflix streaming however the Roku 3 is still the most reliable of the streamers.

Now I wanted Netflix to add Smallville so bad but now I am hopping it becomes exclusive to Amazon Prime Instant as long as Amazon adds it in HD of course.

Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; Yesterday at 06:39 PM.
post #6133 of 6139 Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Also I am back to the Roku 3 again. Watching the 4400.

Dropped down twice to crappy SD but unlike the other devices it ramped back up very fast 10 to 15 seconds and did not get stuck in 720p like the PS4.

Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; Yesterday at 08:29 PM.
post #6134 of 6139 Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

downrightnow.com/netflix
Showing outage. I do report everytime I have issues. Glad it's not me.

Cats are the best pets.
post #6135 of 6139 Old Today, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Not to go off again but this is a list of programs that seem to always give me problems in the evenings (8:30 pm EST till around 11:00 pm EST) with SD dropouts or max crappy 720p HD.

Cats are the best pets.
post #6136 of 6139 Old Today, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this stuff. Boy, those Netflix customer service reps do their best to blame others.
They blame others because it's not NF in most cases that creates the problem .. so, it's a legit blame ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #6137 of 6139 Old Today, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
exactly .. I run multi switches .. they are cheap, effective and easy to use ..
I spent hundreds of dollars on new modems, routers, switches and streaming devices they all mean crap when Netflix gets congested. When there is no congestion everything is great though which use to be 90% of the time until the summer where it is now 75% of the time. I am not going to fight it no more it is not my speeds, hardware or anything. I am going to watch Netflix until around 8 to 9 PM EST then it is off to Amazon Instant on my Fire TV which is always great then back to Netflix after 11 PM EST. Also if a show or movie is on Amazon and Netflix I am going to watch it on Amazon as I am doing with Doctor Who and Warehouse 13.

Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; Today at 09:22 AM.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page