AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Very, very few people have the required equipment and they probably all know it, since Netflix 4K streams are close to being the only source of 4K video at this point. People who bought 4K televisions this year (I'm not sure about cheap ones, like Hisense and Seiki) and people with Sony 4K televisions who bought one of their $600 4K media players are the entire audience (the media players have HDDs and come pre-loaded with a bunch of free 4K video) . And to get 4K from Netflix they'll have to be able to sustain a 15.6 Mbps stream (plus some bandwidth headroom to stay ahead of the stream).
That's a phatt stream bandwidth although not unreasonable for 2160p HEVC I'm going to be 1080p for a good while here
, out of 5 HDTV panels here the oldest is Aug 2012 and 3 are 2013

ATT is still behaving and not strangling the Netflix pipes here anyway( No cal Sacto delta) from Netflix where ever to San Jose ATT server farms and up to here anyway they probably don't want a federal beef while they are trying to buy DTV (Direct TV ) I'm thinking .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-02-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6152 of 6768 Old 08-02-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Ok, I'm getting absolutely desperate here so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a Sony S5100 that I use for my streaming of Netflix. I have centurylink and have a stable connection around 37mbps. Unfortunately, when I play a movie that is HD capable I'm only able to get 480p, nothing higher. Here's the rundown of my setup...

I have my modem up in my living room and I have an ethernet cable running down to the basement connecting to a router. I then have an additional ethernet cable running from this router to another router, which is where my blu player is connected to. So, in between the blu ray player and the modem there are two routers. I thought that maybe this is the reason for the slow connection.

So, I took my blu player upstairs and connected it straight to the modem itself. What happens? Bam, in about 10 seconds it shows it's running 1080p. I then thought, "Hmm, maybe I will run a test of the connection speed with my computer with the router it was running off of." I went to speedtest.net and plugged in my computer to that router to run a test. I got 37mbps, a speed that should have no problem getting 1080p.

I don't really understand why it won't run in HD. I'm running an HD projector downstairs, the Benq 1080ST and I can't imagine this is the reason either.

So, anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Why in the world is this happening if I'm getting a strong connection/speed with that router? Please help! Thanks so much!
Booty ......... I meant butie sorry about that ............. you ever get your problem fixed ?

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #6153 of 6768 Old 08-02-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Well I don't know how Netflix was last night I only watched two episodes of Alias to finish season 1 then I turned Netflix off as the problems start at that time so instead of ranting here.

Then around 8:30 after Alias I went onto the Fire TV and watched Doctor Who and a movie that was also on Netflix BTW 😊 then a Superman cartoon.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired

Cats are the best pets
post #6154 of 6768 Old 08-02-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 71
For those still seeing Netflix streaming issues and wanting to try a VPN that is selectable by local device (use the VPN only for some local devices) Astrill could be an option.

You'll need a router running DD-WRT, Tomato or Asus Merlin (which a few are here) - or if you don't want to configure a router yourself it looks like you order one with the Astrill VPN App installed.

Last edited by undecided; 08-03-2014 at 01:46 AM.
post #6155 of 6768 Old 08-02-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I spent hundreds of dollars on new modems, routers, switches and streaming devices they all mean crap when Netflix gets congested. When there is no congestion everything is great though which use to be 90% of the time until the summer where it is now 75% of the time. I am not going to fight it no more it is not my speeds, hardware or anything. I am going to watch Netflix until around 8 to 9 PM EST then it is off to Amazon Instant on my Fire TV which is always great then back to Netflix after 11 PM EST. Also if a show or movie is on Amazon and Netflix I am going to watch it on Amazon as I am doing with Doctor Who and Warehouse 13.
Not having much Netflix troubles here (for now) but Amazon Prime Instant is very reliable and like you say they have an excellent 720p stream when 1080p is not happening or the movie is only720p

I use Roku's or PS3 for both although I read The ATV has a lot higher (CBR?) bit rate HD exclusive stream from Amazon good picture no? How does it compare to Roku on Amazon? Thread is slowing down maybe summertime blues or better things 2 do or maybe yuze guys and michaelscott clued everybody in already and only mostly newbies coming aboard right now !

post #6156 of 6768 Old 08-03-2014, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Not having much Netflix troubles here (for now) but Amazon Prime Instant is very reliable and like you say they have an excellent 720p stream when 1080p is not happening or the movie is only720p

I use Roku's or PS3 for both although I read The ATV has a lot higher (CBR?) bit rate HD exclusive stream from Amazon good picture no? How does it compare to Roku on Amazon? Thread is slowing down maybe summertime blues or better things 2 do or maybe yuze guys and michaelscott clued everybody in already and only mostly newbies coming aboard right now !
I have ATV3 and Roku3. ATV has much better PQ and almost never buffers in same location as Roku3. Not sure why.

Memphis Home Builder
post #6157 of 6768 Old 08-03-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

I use Roku's or PS3 for both although I read The ATV has a lot higher (CBR?) bit-rate HD exclusive stream from Amazon good picture no?
Are you asking whether the Apple TV has an app for Amazon Prime/Instant? No it doesn't.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6158 of 6768 Old 08-03-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Good read on ATT rollout for open connect.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014...-verizon-does/

Looks like VZW will be much slower

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...on-as-comcast/

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #6159 of 6768 Old 08-03-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
All on AT&T u verse right? Maybe they are doing direct peering now which I hope would put less congestion on level 3. Should I dare try to watch Once Upon a Time tonight and will it stay in 1080p?
Maybe so as last nights episode started out in SuperHD and was all the way through. But I live in the "land of Netflix" (HQ a mere 60 miles away) so that might have been implemented.
post #6160 of 6768 Old 08-03-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix streaming is total crap tonight no surprise. Watching Alias earlier on the PS4 played good until it dropped but did ramp up and this was 7 PM EST. Going back to Amazon Instant on the Fire TV perfect streaming. Then trying to watch Generator Rex on the Roku 3 looked like mud I could not get to play in there "great" eyeIO HD just there "terrible" VC-1 SD crap. This is after restarting and rewinding the stream about 5 times. Then for the heck of it I tried the ATV3 and it started out instantly in HD but I said I bet you it is going to drop down to there "terrible" VC-1 SD crap and it did half way took nearly a freaking minute to ramp up then it went back to HD most likely only 720p. Screw this I am going back to Amazon Instant on my Fire TV.

I wasted freaking nearly a grand of my money trying to find the perfect Netflix streamer but every freaking device craps out under congestion except for selling the house and moving to cablefreakingvison territory which is total bull crap that I should not have to do. It is not my ISP or speeds. I can stream Amazon, YouTube, Hulu Plus, Watch Disney Live, Vevo, Audio Addict, TuneIn Radio and every thing else out there perfect 24/7 except for Notfix.

Okay rant over I calmed down. Back to Amazon I go.

Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless

Cats are the best pets

Last edited by reddice; 08-03-2014 at 09:16 PM.
post #6161 of 6768 Old 08-03-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Netflix streaming is total crap tonight no surprise. Watching Alias earlier on the PS4 played good until it dropped but did ramp up and this was 7 PM EST. Going back to Amazon Instant on the Fire TV perfect streaming. Then trying to watch Generator Rex on the Roku 3 looked like mud I could not get to play in there "great" eyeIO HD just there "terrible" VC-1 SD crap. This is after restarting and rewinding the stream about 5 times. Then for the heck of it I tried the ATV3 and it started out instantly in HD but I said I bet you it is going to drop down to there "terrible" VC-1 SD crap and it did half way took nearly a freaking minute to ramp up then it went back to HD most likely only 720p. Screw this I am going back to Amazon Instant on my Fire TV.

I wasted freaking nearly a grand of my money trying to find the perfect Netflix streamer but every freaking device craps out under congestion except for selling the house and moving to cablefreakingvison territory which is total bull crap that I should not have to do. It is not my ISP or speeds. I can stream Amazon, YouTube, Hulu Plus, Watch Disney Live, Vevo, Audio Addict, TuneIn Radio and every thing else out there perfect 24/7 except for Notfix.

Okay rant over I calmed down. Back to Amazon I go.

And the beat goes on......

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6162 of 6768 Old 08-03-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Sonny and Cher right?

Cats are the best pets
post #6163 of 6768 Old 08-03-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

Did you ever try one of those DNS spoofing services' trial offers to see what would happen to your Netflix experiences? You've made yourself comfortable believing that Netflix is solely responsible to your streaming woes; it really does need investigating thru the use of one of those services or a VPN, whether or not it truly is them, or as many regular posters to this thread suspect and have suggested, deliberate targeting of Netflix and their known, contracted data delivery services by your ISP.

We need to know, one way or the other. Your anger and frustration needs to be directed at the true cause behind this erratic performance.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #6164 of 6768 Old 08-03-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree and I should try one of those DNS spoofing services but I am worried about region changes. I seen people get there Sony consoles banned and the PSN might ban you if they think you are from the UK using a US console.

See I rant here but not on Facebook or Twitter were most of it goes because social media is so vulgar.

Cats are the best pets

Last edited by reddice; 08-03-2014 at 11:19 PM.
post #6165 of 6768 Old 08-03-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
...I could not get to play in there "great" eyeIO HD just there "terrible" VC-1 SD crap.

No recent device gets anything except for AVC. See page 38 of this presentation; they still support VC1 in the CE1 and CE2 profiles for legacy devices, but any device released in 2012 or after would be getting the CE3-DASH profile (or one of their iOS profiles for Apple devices). I'd expect them to be using eyeIO tech for all of their AVC encodings; there's only so much one can do with the really low bit rates.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #6166 of 6768 Old 08-03-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Sonny and Cher right?
You got it. I can hear "The Beat Goes On" in my mind; it was an immensely popular pop song in its day (1967). I was 9, but my family watched Sonny & Cher's variety show.

post #6167 of 6768 Old 08-03-2014, 11:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I agree and I should try one of those DNS spoofing services but I am worried about region changes. I seen people get there Sony consoles banned and the PSN might ban you if they think you are from the UK using a US console.

The spoofing only affects Netflix and some other streaming services. They redirect requests aimed at Netflix first level servers to their own servers, which get you hooked up to streaming servers in the region of your choice.

post #6168 of 6768 Old 08-03-2014, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The various VPN options that you can use on your Asus Router running Merlin firmware can just 'move' you to another US location.

Set up instructions have been posted many times in this thread and most of the VPN services give you a trial period to try.

Some are very simple to set up - others if you need to set VPN per local device a 'little' more complex - but all doable and if Netflix is really driving you that crazy may be worth a try....
post #6169 of 6768 Old 08-03-2014, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The spoofing only affects Netflix and some other streaming services. They redirect requests aimed at Netflix first level servers to their own servers, which get you hooked up to streaming servers in the region of your choice.
Yes and with his Asus Merlin firmware he can easily set DNS per local device (so only on some devices to check if he gets an improvement) - or he can try the various VPN options available with the Asus Merlin firmware.

If it was me I would start with this VPN option http://iamnotaprogrammer.com/Verizon...x-Vyprvpn.html - and at least give the free trial a chance. If it works he can try check if other VPNs than can be set by local device better suit his needs.

When I tried the DNS spoofers I found the Netflix performance was sometimes worse than using my normal connection. Admittedly it was some time ago when I was trying to use DNS spoofing to get 5800 kbps Super HD before Netflix opened this up to all ISPs. With OpenDNS I always got the max my ISP was 'allowed' at the time - with the DNS spoofers it was sometimes 5800 kbps Super HD and sometimes much less....
post #6170 of 6768 Old 08-04-2014, 12:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
When I tried the DNS spoofers I found the Netflix performance was sometimes worse than using my normal connection. Admittedly it was some time ago when I was trying to use DNS spoofing to get 5800 kbps Super HD before Netflix opened this up to all ISPs. With OpenDNS I always got the max my ISP was 'allowed' at the time - with the DNS spoofers it was sometimes 5800 kbps Super HD and sometimes much less....

I use primarily Unblock-US (and I should switch to AdFreeTime, since I've been paying $1/month for it for a while). It's a lot more variable when accessing the libraries of other regions, but it seems about the same with region set to USA, which for me mean a short ramp-up to Super HD rates (instant after the first start up in a session).

post #6171 of 6768 Old 08-04-2014, 03:51 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
You got it. I can hear "The Beat Goes On" in my mind; it was an immensely popular pop song in its day (1967). I was 9, but my family watched Sonny & Cher's variety show.
now all we need is a Rowan & Martin"s Laugh In reference - wow, the memories S&C & Rowan & Martin's LI show brings back - i still remember Goldie Hawn being the eye candy

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK
post #6172 of 6768 Old 08-04-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

You were 9 I was not even born until 10 years later.

Cats are the best pets
post #6173 of 6768 Old 08-04-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So it does not affect the PSN or lets say Youtube or Amazon Instant?

Also as I keep saying if I was to watch Netflix now on any device I will have zero issues it seems like after 7 PM EST a switch is turned on and it gets gradually worse then at 9 PM I have trouble sometimes maintaining 1080p as it drops down to 720p or 480p then maybe back to 1080p and I can easily notice it when it does. Also Sundays and Mondays are the worst. Later on in the week it seems better.

Cats are the best pets
post #6174 of 6768 Old 08-04-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

And the beat goes on......

Ian
Ian, stop stealing reddice's bandwidth! BTW, Sonny and Cher introduced my band at a Seattle rock concert in 1967. We followed Glenn Campbell (yup, it was a weird concert).

I finished off the final three episodes of season 4 "The Killing" last night. All in SuperHD. This should be what everyone is getting (if you have a 1080 set). If not sharpen the pitchforks and rally.

Spoiler!
post #6175 of 6768 Old 08-04-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
You were 9 I was not even born until 10 years later.
Why is Red Dice your screen name .. ?? Are you a craps shooter or do you work at a Casino .. ??
mailiang likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #6176 of 6768 Old 08-04-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Did you ever try one of those DNS spoofing services' trial offers to see what would happen to your Netflix experiences? You've made yourself comfortable believing that Netflix is solely responsible to your streaming woes; it really does need investigating thru the use of one of those services or a VPN, whether or not it truly is them, or as many regular posters to this thread suspect and have suggested, deliberate targeting of Netflix and their known, contracted data delivery services by your ISP.

We need to know, one way or the other. Your anger and frustration needs to be directed at the true cause behind this erratic performance.
Comcast was bottlenecking Netflix last Nov-Jan and I couldn't get HD to save my life on Xbox One. After they signed an agreement with Netflix, it went back to normal.
reddice likes this.
post #6177 of 6768 Old 08-04-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Why is Red Dice your screen name .. ?? Are you a craps shooter or do you work at a Casino .. ??
I never gambled in my life. I just like the way red dice look.

Cats are the best pets
post #6178 of 6768 Old 08-04-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Comcast was bottlenecking Netflix last Nov-Jan and I couldn't get HD to save my life on Xbox One. After they signed an agreement with Netflix, it went back to normal.
That is why I did not try it because for me changing DNS from Google and OpenDNS did squat. I still go through Level 3 and I still connect to Atlanta. Any time I think it is faster switching from one to another is just a placebo affect that quickly wears off when I have issues. Still don't understand why the evenings I have problems but any time during the day it is flawless. Maybe that is why TWC never signed a deal with Netflix but I blame the merger with Comcrap ruining any chances of it happening.

Cats are the best pets
post #6179 of 6768 Old 08-04-2014, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Netflix seems to be running smooth this evening. It's almost 7pm and Super HD is running most of the time. Maybe AT&T and Netflix have finally optimized the connections.
post #6180 of 6768 Old 08-04-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Earlier Alias and Lost went to Super HD no problems. Now the 4400 won't go past 720p. I restarted it about 10 times changed DNS changed playback from auto to high back to auto this is all on the PS4.

Edit now it went up to super HD.

Cats are the best pets

Last edited by reddice; 08-04-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page