Netflix streaming quality - Page 213 - AVS Forum
First ... 211  212  213 214  215  ... Last
Video Download Services & Hardware > Netflix streaming quality
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 05:33 PM 08-16-2014
The August results will be 3 months after they signed the agreement. Hopefully they'll have direct connections set up to a significant number of their systems by then, but there's been pretty much no improvement since they signed and the first month after they signed their average speed actually decreased. Comcast had most if not all of their systems actually set up for those connections when they signed and it was just a matter of "flipping a switch" to get them going; evidently AT&T did not.

EDIT: I thought that I'd seen an announcement of an AT&T agreement in May; I see now that it wasn't until a couple of weeks ago. Never mind; we'll see the first indications on the August Netflix ISP index report.

gadgtfreek's Avatar gadgtfreek 05:46 PM 08-16-2014
The articles were posted here recently, by me. They agreed to terms in the spring, and have been working on setting this up since. About two weeks ago they stated things should start getting better over the next few weeks.

Not sure why this is such a mystery, the facts about ATT and Netflix are there and easily found. They have a deal, and speeds are improving.

Im getting 4300 1080p here now when for a few months I could barely get 480p.
RRS1947's Avatar RRS1947 05:59 PM 08-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
The August results will be 3 months after they signed the agreement. Hopefully they'll have direct connections set up to a significant number of their systems by then, but there's been pretty much no improvement since they signed and the first month after they signed their average speed actually decreased. Comcast had most if not all of their systems actually set up for those connections when they signed and it was just a matter of "flipping a switch" to get them going; evidently AT&T did not.
They 'came up with the agreement in early May'; they worked together on the physical setup while both parties attorneys negotiated the money Netflix was to pay AT&T; then they actually signed the properly executed and legally binding contract just before the July 29 announcement.

Whether a 'switch was flipped' or not as you said, my improvement was fast enough for me which was within five days after the peering announcement July 29.

As I previously stated wait until the Netflix ISP Speed Index marketing tool for August is released. I have always taken the "Netflix ISP Speed Index" with a grain of salt and have been skeptical of the data.

Quote from previous post into reply to your post:
a·gree·ment (-grmnt)n.

1. The act of agreeing.
2. Harmony of opinion; accord.
3. An arrangement between parties regarding a course of action; a covenant.

4. Law:
a. A properly executed and legally binding contract.
b. The writing or document embodying this contract.
reddice's Avatar reddice 09:44 PM 08-16-2014
Netflix on Time Warner has been excellent. I heard of no deals and I check the tech and Netflix news everyday but some streaming does a direct peering with a 23 address while I still sometimes peer with Level 3 with a 108 address however I now always connect to the NYC CDN.

When I checked the mirror links in Internet Explorer on Windows 8 it defaults to the NYC CDN but the Atlanta CDN still shows up to as a mirror.
reddice's Avatar reddice 03:45 PM 08-19-2014
http://gigaom.com/2014/08/19/netflix..._campaign=feed
It is done. Looks like since June they have been getting things ready even though I have not had any direct peering until the last two weeks.

Now I won't have to complain so much on here anymore.
RRS1947's Avatar RRS1947 03:55 PM 08-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
http://gigaom.com/2014/08/19/netflix..._campaign=feed
It is done. Looks like since June they have been getting things ready even though I have not had any direct peering until the last two weeks.

Now I won't have to complain so much on here anymore.
Thanks for posting!

JustaSheep's Avatar JustaSheep 04:25 PM 08-19-2014
Interesting. I came to this thread thinking I'd see a long list of recent complaints, not of things getting better. I have a 50Mb xfinity/comcast connection and Netflix has been just terrible for 3 or 4 weeks. I can't go ten minutes on any show w/o significant degrade of signal through a wired xbox 360. It's so bad on my wireless smart bluray player that it just stops altogether and is unwatchable.

By comparison, I watch Amazon Prime on the same xbox 360 and never see the signal degrade. If it's HD, it remains HD the entire stream.

Without reading through the 6000+ posts in this thread, can someone help me understand why this is?

Thanks in advance,
Sheep
reddice's Avatar reddice 08:25 PM 08-19-2014
Netflix has a outage. Website won't load. I was getting unable to connect errors on the PS4 . I am watching doctor who on my ATV3 now but who knows if anything else will load.
reddice's Avatar reddice 08:28 PM 08-19-2014
Yes ATV3 unable to access title. Off to Amazon Instant I go.
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 08:45 PM 08-19-2014
Well, it seems to be up locally, at least on my PC.
Mark12547's Avatar Mark12547 08:59 PM 08-19-2014
It's also up for me. But with the variety of equipment that Netflix deploys and with custom routing tables for the various "direct connect" servers for various ISPs, it doesn't surprise me that occasionally a server issue or a router issue would take down a bunch of customers and the rest of the customers don't experience any hiccups at that time.
reddice's Avatar reddice 09:30 PM 08-19-2014
Are you using the windows 8 app?
mailiang's Avatar mailiang 09:47 PM 08-19-2014
Down here also. Came back up, but is a bit slow to load. Must be getting a lot of calls, when you contact them there's a voice mail saying they have a streaming issue and are working on it.

Ian
reddice's Avatar reddice 10:07 PM 08-19-2014
Thanks Ian so those on Cablevision are affected. No big deal I have Amazon and as a last resort Hulu which I only use because of the Bing rewards program.
DRC72's Avatar DRC72 04:15 AM 08-20-2014
No issues logging in on my cell.
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 09:38 AM 08-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Down here also. Came back up, but is a bit slow to load. Must be getting a lot of calls, when you contact them there's a voice mail saying they have a streaming issue and are working on it.

Ian
Same here. Had a problem getting on Netflix at 10 PM last night. I've been rewatching the first season of Longmire.

I was first trying on the Roku 3 but it was very slow and almost non-responsive. Switched to my Apple TV 3 and got the same behavior although after clicking back and forth several times I was able to get an episode to play.

This was on TWC 15/1.
mailiang's Avatar mailiang 09:38 AM 08-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
No issues logging in on my cell.
It was back up several hours ago.

Ian
DRC72's Avatar DRC72 11:28 AM 08-20-2014
Quote:

Ian
That's probably why lol[emoji6]
reddice's Avatar reddice 12:36 PM 08-20-2014
Quote:

Ian
I was asleep by then so I did not care. As long as it is fine tonight.
Larry Hardin's Avatar Larry Hardin 10:02 PM 08-23-2014
In the last couple of weeks my Netflix service in the Central NY region of TWC has been miraculously transformed from shabby to splendid. Isn't it wonderful what a little extortion will do?
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 03:29 PM 08-24-2014
Ahhh, school starts Monday. Not that I've had much of a problem but Friday was a little weird for some reason with some dropdowns and rebuffers. Last night was problem free.
SkOrPn's Avatar SkOrPn 03:38 PM 08-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Ahhh, school starts Monday. Not that I've had much of a problem but Friday was a little weird for some reason with some dropdowns and rebuffers. Last night was problem free.
Yeah late Friday evening was VERY weird for me as well. I almost never have issues, but Friday night I lost complete Netflix connection for maybe 10 minutes tops. Just in the middle of an episode of Supernatural in season 2 it stopped playback and started to rebuffer, then got stuck at 94% and stayed there. I then noticed not only did I not have any connection to Netflix my VPN was also disconnected from the Bay area servers. Not sure if that was caused by the VPN (most likely) or something to do with Netflix. The rest of the internet was working just fine though and I completed several speed tests during the time this was going on and I could easily check email too.
mailiang's Avatar mailiang 04:43 PM 08-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
Yeah late Friday evening was VERY weird for me as well. I almost never have issues, but Friday night I lost complete Netflix connection for maybe 10 minutes tops. Just in the middle of an episode of Supernatural in season 2 it stopped playback and started to rebuffer, then got stuck at 94% and stayed there. I then noticed not only did I not have any connection to Netflix my VPN was also disconnected from the Bay area servers. Not sure if that was caused by the VPN (most likely) or something to do with Netflix. The rest of the internet was working just fine though and I completed several speed tests during the time this was going on and I could easily check email too.
It seems that Netflix has been having some streaming issues this week. As metioned earlier lost it on Tuesday night. Had to re-boot my router yesterday when it kept changing speeds on a movie I was watching. Seems to have worked for the time being.

Ian
DRC72's Avatar DRC72 04:58 PM 08-24-2014
It's been rock solid the last few weeks for me. AT&T Uverse customer here.
reddice's Avatar reddice 09:57 PM 08-24-2014
Fine on TWC too all weekend.
Mark12547's Avatar Mark12547 10:59 PM 08-24-2014
Starting about half an hour ago (9:30pm PDT) the video quality went from "1080 SD" to "480 SD". Even after rebooting the modem and router, and turning off & on the TV, the TV is still getting only "480 SD" Fortunately, even at 480 the picture quality is decent.

As you can see from my signature and location, I am on Comcast Internet in Salem, Oregon.

Maybe people are getting home or into their hotel rooms from visiting the Oregon State Fair (which is also in Salem, Oregon) and firing up Netflix streaming.

Update: 10:15pm - 10:30pm PDT the quality got back up to "720 HD" with a few jumps into "1080 SD".
larryccf's Avatar larryccf 08:34 AM 08-25-2014
I don't know how you guys are viewing the stream rate, but for the first time i noticed that when i play a dvd that i dubbed from netflix, for the first few seconds of play it will display in the upper right hand corner of the screen the sound (dolby etc) and in my case 48 Mhz 384 Kbps.

Odd (to me) is that i went back to the HDD on my pan EH-59 and it does not display that info, and if i play the dvd in my samsung dvd player it doesn't display, only in my sony BDP-S580.

the 384 Kbps looks decent and looks like everything else i've ever seen on netflix streaming. This was recorded at 6:00 AM this morning and i'm on comcast, in central Va. When i went back to the orig listing on netflix, it showed it as available in "Super HD".

Now you guys have me caught up in this streaming quality issue - i was happy when i was dumb, really.......aaarrrrrgggghhhh
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 12:35 PM 08-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
I don't know how you guys are viewing the stream rate, but for the first time i noticed that when i play a dvd that i dubbed from netflix, for the first few seconds of play it will display in the upper right hand corner of the screen the sound (dolby etc) and in my case 48 Mhz 384 Kbps.

Odd (to me) is that i went back to the HDD on my pan EH-59 and it does not display that info, and if i play the dvd in my samsung dvd player it doesn't display, only in my sony BDP-S580.

the 384 Kbps looks decent and looks like everything else i've ever seen on netflix streaming. This was recorded at 6:00 AM this morning and i'm on comcast, in central Va. When i went back to the orig listing on netflix, it showed it as available in "Super HD".

Now you guys have me caught up in this streaming quality issue - i was happy when i was dumb, really.......aaarrrrrgggghhhh
They have different encodes for different devices. Also with DASH encoding the audio may just be one file which is synchronized with whatever video segment is currently playing.

Usually Sunday nights may be crap too but not last night.
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 02:24 PM 08-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
They have different encodes for different devices.

Which might be misconstrued to mean that every device has its own encodes, which is not true. Most devices from the past 3 years will probably use one set, with AVC video and discrete HE-AAC stereo/DD+ 5.1 surround sound, streamed with the DASH standard protocols (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP). Apple devices use one of two sets of encodings based on Apple's HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) system, with AVC video and HE-AAC stereo/basic DD surround sound; the earlier of the two being deprecated. Anything older than 3 years will likely be using one of two sets of encodings based on VC-1 video and Windows Media Audio stereo sound.
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 02:32 PM 08-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post

the 384 Kbps looks decent and looks like everything else i've ever seen on netflix streaming.

That displays sounds like something that your DVD player is doing for DVDs. I suspect that the 384 Kbps is for the sound alone, there not being a 384 Kbps Netflix video encode (at least in the modern set of encodes). To get an idea of the video encode that you're receiving, try playing "El Fuente: 60 MP10" or Example Short 23.976", test clips with bit rate/resolution information burned into each of their constituent video encodes ("El Fuente" is to be preferred, being an actual little travelogue of Mexico).
First ... 211  212  213 214  215  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop