post #6451 of 6464 Old 09-19-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
Netflix is a little bit flakey tonight on AT&T U verse. Can't seem to stay on HD, plus there were some points that were buffering.
Had some issues as well, I have Open Connect and my download speed has always been very consistent. The movie I was watching started at 1080 and then dropped below SD quality during the first 5 minutes or so. I stopped and restarted it and it ramped right back up to Super HD almost immediately. About 10 minutes later it dropped off again to 480SD for about 30 seconds and then went right back up to 1080 and stayed there till the end. I also noticed that my streaming display didn't show the audio info during the time the quality kept changing. Strange.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 09-19-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6452 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Had some issues as well, I have Open Connect and my download speed has always been very consistent. The movie I was watching started at 1080 and then dropped below SD quality during the first 5 minutes or so. I stopped and restarted it and it ramped right back up to Super HD almost immediately. About 10 minutes later it dropped off again to 480SD for about 30 seconds and then went right back up to 1080 and stayed there till the end. I also noticed that my streaming display didn't show the audio info during the time the quality kept changing. Strange.

Ian
You're lucky, I pretty much stayed at 480p and below most of the movie. Sometimes it would hit Super HD , but it barely lasted.
post #6453 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You're lucky, I pretty much stayed at 480p and below most of the movie. Sometimes it would hit Super HD , but it barely lasted.
I think it just goes to show, that even with Open Connect, you can still have problems.

Ian
RRS1947 likes this.

post #6454 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Funny I had no issues with TWC last night. Funny how the tied turns and know you know how annoyed I was this past summer when I would complain when it dropped down to those muddy SD streams or there dull and macroblockage 720p streams. Okay I won't rub it in anymore.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #6455 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I think it just goes to show, that even with Open Connect, you can still have problems.

Ian
I'm wondering if the netflix server I was on was having technical difficulties? May not be a connection issue. Anyone's guess.
post #6456 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

Ian

Since mid August 2014 after my provider AT&T Uverse/Netflix peering system implementation. My experience from my home 125 miles North of Dallas, Texas has been flawless 24/7 and prime time 7 days/week.

Before the implementation Netflix was 480p and lower from 3pm to 1am 7 days/week and spotty at all other times.

"Life is tough.... It's even tougher if your stupid". > John Wayne <

"Expert: A former drip under pressure". > My Highschool Physics Teacher <

"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but [ticking] everyone off is a piece of cake". > Unknown Author <

Last edited by RRS1947; Yesterday at 12:48 PM.
post #6457 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Ian
That's because I was watching an episode of Californication and the B movie "Dark Space" which is sort of a "cabin" movie set in the future when college kids vacation on other planets. Both in Super HD.
post #6458 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS1947 View Post
Since mid August 2014 after my provider AT&T Uverse/Netflix peering system implementation. My experience from my home 125 miles North of Dallas, Texas has been flawless 24/7 and prime time 7 days/week.

Before the implementation Netflix was 480p and lower from 3pm to 1am 7 days/week and spotty at all other times.
Since the audio display was missing and it was so erratic, I have a feeling it was a Netflix problem and had nothing to do with my ISP. Cablevision receives updates to their Open Connect appliances monthly.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; Yesterday at 04:06 PM.
post #6459 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM

Tonight the movie started at 480, then went to Super HD, then back to 480. Now it jumps to 720 for a few minutes, then down back to 480, and then back to 720. And the cycle continues throughout the movie. It's almost like AT&T and Netflix terminated their open connect agreement.
post #6460 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 548
On Cox (an OC partner) San Diego South I haven't experienced any periods when I couldn't get to 5800 Kbps, but I have seen periods when it took much longer than normal to get there and with strange ramping up behavior from different devices (once they get to the max bit rate they all stay there). I've seen my Roku 3 start at 1750 Kbps and just hang there forever until I go back a bit, when it will restart at 5800 Kbps. At other times it will start at 5800 Kbps. Whatever--its not annoying me much.

Come Wednesday I'll have a new Netflix streaming toy, a 4K HEVC capable one . I can hardly wait.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #6461 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Tonight the movie started at 480, then went to Super HD, then back to 480. Now it jumps to 720 for a few minutes, then down back to 480, and then back to 720. And the cycle continues throughout the movie. It's almost like AT&T and Netflix terminated their open connect agreement.
No problem tonight. I was watching Netflix most of the evening with out a hitch.

Ian

post #6462 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'm using a WD box and for some reason when I check the connection, I have a button for that, I see 1080 SD! As it ramps up I do see 720 HD but then it goes to 1080 SD. Weird.
post #6463 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
I'm using a WD box and for some reason when I check the connection, I have a button for that, I see 1080 SD! As it ramps up I do see 720 HD but then it goes to 1080 SD. Weird.
A minor bug in a piece of undocumented, unsupported debug code. It means 1080 HD.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #6464 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
On Cox (an OC partner) San Diego South I haven't experienced any periods when I couldn't get to 5800 Kbps, but I have seen periods when it took much longer than normal to get there and with strange ramping up behavior from different devices (once they get to the max bit rate they all stay there). I've seen my Roku 3 start at 1750 Kbps and just hang there forever until I go back a bit, when it will restart at 5800 Kbps. At other times it will start at 5800 Kbps. Whatever--its not annoying me much.
Apple TV (third generation) on Comcast. Always starts at 1080P (mostly 5800 kbps occasionally 4300 kbps and then ramps quickly to 5800 kbps).

It seems having an Open Connect ISP may not be much of an advantage any more.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page