Forum Jump: 
 147Likes

post #6481 of 6486 Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I think my ATV3 is having problems. Just now earlier watching nothing. I saw the led on my switch where the ATV3 is connected go off and on twice in the past 5 minutes or so. I hope the ethernet is not flaking out as the wireless on 5ghz had the same issues which is why I connected it wired last year.

Netflix is no big deal as I have the PS4 and Roku 3 which I will reconnect if needed but the ATV3 is the only device that can play and maintain a HD picture on the watch Disney apps. The Fire TV just plays them in terrible SD just like watching on the website. The Roku 3 plays in HD for only a few minutes then drops down to SD and never recovers back to HD. Also even Hulu Plus is smoothly on the ATV3 and not jerky like the other devices.

Okay enough off topic. Sorry.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6482 of 6486 Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Also consider AdFreeTime.com, which is a $1 month and seems equally as good as Unblock for Netflix.
Not for Netflix but I have been looking into these services for other reasons. I get a message when I play Hulu+ on my Windows 7 machine using Firefox that I must have an ad blocker up. Thing is no ad blocker is installed on FF on that machine. I've also been curious as to why on Chromecast ads freeze up on Hulu+ while the title plays fine. There is no ad blocker of course on Chromecast. I was thinking their little scheme of serving targeted ads is backfiring. The title is shown using DASH but probably not the ad and there is not enough buffer especially for a 1080p ad. My BD player has buffer for that so ads never freeze up.

Another funny thing is after watching a couple episodes yesterday Blacklist played with "no ads". I wonder if Hulu+ just has a quota and if you've watched enough ads for the day you don't get anymore.

Want to see some great quality on Netflix try "Comic Book Men" which looks great in SuperHD. I cut the cable before season 3 started and the series was just added on NF. I wasn't about to pay the same for a 22 minute as I would for a 44 minute title on Amazon. Where do they come up with their pricing anyway? I heard yesterday that on many TV series on 30 second ad pays for the episode. The TV execs are laughing at us all the way to the bank.
post #6483 of 6486 Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Brian's post above mentioned Blacklist. I watched an episode on Netflix 4k this afternoon.

A lot of the Netflix 4k isn't better than Super HD or Blu Ray. However, the Blacklist episode was superb. Especially outside scenes, in good light, were obviously clearer, better video than what I get with Blu Ray on my OPPO 103D. Many of the posters on the Samsung 4k threads had been praising Netflix for this series. If I were trying to sell 4k displays with streaming video, it's definitely what I would show.
post #6484 of 6486 Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Brian's post above mentioned Blacklist. I watched an episode on Netflix 4k this afternoon.

A lot of the Netflix 4k isn't better than Super HD or Blu Ray. However, the Blacklist episode was superb. Especially outside scenes, in good light, were obviously clearer, better video than what I get with Blu Ray on my OPPO 103D. Many of the posters on the Samsung 4k threads had been praising Netflix for this series. If I were trying to sell 4k displays with streaming video, it's definitely what I would show.
I watch Blacklist on NBC using Directv as my carrier and although it may not compete with some BD's, surprisingly it offers some of the best picture quality I have seen. This can probably be attributed more to an exceptional video master, and transfers, which produce very contrasty, detailed pictures, then to differences in static video resolution. With an ample amount of bandwidth, it will look great, even in 1080p.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; Yesterday at 03:58 PM.
post #6485 of 6486 Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
I watch Blacklist on NBC using Directv as my carrier and although it may not compete with some BD's, surprisingly it offers some of the best picture quality I have seen. This can probably be attributed more to an exceptional video master, and transfers, which produce very contrasty, detailed pictures, then to differences in static video resolution. With an ample amount of bandwidth, it will look great, even in 1080p.

It's probably more attributable to it being shot with a Sony PMW-F55 CineAlta 4K Digital Cinema Camera (see this). It's the only thing that I've watched in Netflix 4K that impressed me. The level of detail is so high that it looks as though you could could walk into the screen. Season 2 of House of Cards was shot in 4K as well but it's not nearly as evident.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #6486 of 6486 Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 53
All of Netflix 4k encodes are they all 2160p?

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #6487 of 6486 Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
It's probably more attributable to it being shot with a Sony PMW-F55 CineAlta 4K Digital Cinema Camera (see this). It's the only thing that I've watched in Netflix 4K that impressed me. The level of detail is so high that it looks as though you could could walk into the screen. Season 2 of House of Cards was shot in 4K as well but it's not nearly as evident.
Interesting. Again, it goes back to the original master, which as you posted, was shot with a very capable DCC. Although I've already watched season 1 on NBC, I also watched an episode of the show just to see how it fared on Netflix this evening. The visual resolution is outstanding even when displayed on my PDP in Super HD. It mimics BD quality, which is rather surprising, due to bandwidth limitations. I'm curious to see how it looks on Blu-Ray when compared to 4k streaming.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; Yesterday at 09:57 PM.
post #6488 of 6486 Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
All of Netflix 4k encodes are they all 2160p?

Yes, they all 3840x2160p24 (no p25 or p30 that I know of as yet). It's the "Ultra HD" format that "4K" televisions display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Interesting. Again, it goes back to the original master, which as you posted, was shot with a very capable DCC. Although I've already watched season 1 on NBC, I also watched an episode of the show just to see how it fared on Netflix this evening. The visual resolution is outstanding even when displayed on my PDP in Super HD. It mimics BD quality, which is rather surprising, due to bandwidth limitations. I'm curious to see how it looks on Blu-Ray when compared to 4k streaming.

The "re-mastered in 4K" BDs often have noticeable added detail, though not alway. I have never seen any BD on a 1080p TV as sharp as this.

I do not say that 4K will fail because it's never impressive because it can be. It's that you have to sit so close to it see the detail. It's a modification to how people watch television, just like wearing 3D glasses was.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; Yesterday at 10:39 PM.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page