post #6601 of 6619 Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Check your wifi list on your Android device even when you aren't on Chromecast. It will be listed like it is a hotspot so someone can log onto it if it loses connection with your protected network.
So if my WiFi Network goes down someone at that point could gain access to the Chromecast (but not my WiFI Network). I am not too bothered

1. My router and modem have been up for over 100 days now.
2. I am on an acre and there are no other local WiFi networks.
3. My Chromecast has been in a cupboard for the last 6 months

Even without 3 I don't think it is a big deal..... although I could also agree that security should be a higher priority with more and more connected devices in our houses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6602 of 6619 Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 94
My protected network has not unprotected itself in, oh.. forever.
post #6603 of 6619 Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
So if my WiFi Network goes down someone at that point could gain access to the Chromecast (but not my WiFI Network). I am not too bothered

1. My router and modem have been up for over 100 days now.
2. I am on an acre and there are no other local WiFi networks.
3. My Chromecast has been in a cupboard for the last 6 months

Even without 3 I don't think it is a big deal..... although I could also agree that security should be a higher priority with more and more connected devices in our houses.
Your network doesn't have to go down, the Chromecast loses it's connection with it and then it is vulnerable. When I had some friends visiting who noted they could see my Chromecast on their Android phone wifi network lineup.

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/14...t-is-easy.html
post #6604 of 6619 Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
They have different encodes for different devices. Also with DASH encoding the audio may just be one file which is synchronized with whatever video segment is currently playing.

Usually Sunday nights may be crap too but not last night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Which might be misconstrued to mean that every device has its own encodes, which is not true. Most devices from the past 3 years will probably use one set, with AVC video and discrete HE-AAC stereo/DD+ 5.1 surround sound, streamed with the DASH standard protocols (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP). Apple devices use one of two sets of encodings based on Apple's HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) system, with AVC video and HE-AAC stereo/basic DD surround sound; the earlier of the two being deprecated. Anything older than 3 years will likely be using one of two sets of encodings based on VC-1 video and Windows Media Audio stereo sound.
I'm not sure if this is the same issue but found the above posts when searching for info...

My xbox 360 gets a Netflix movie as 5.1 audio but my Sony BDP-N460 blu-ray player doesn't list the same movie as 5.1. Is that normal? Is that Netflix sending different audio to different apps or something? The blu-ray is up to date with updates, I don't know if the apps themselves update on that though. On the xbox I've had to update individual apps multiple times so is it just that the Netflix app on my blu-ray is older?

Denon AVR-X4000 | Klipsch RF82 - RC62 - RS62 - (RSX4 satellites not hooked up yet) | av123 MFW-15 subwoofer

Last edited by Onk Yo; Yesterday at 12:28 PM.
post #6605 of 6619 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onk Yo View Post
I'm not sure if this is the same issue but found the above posts when searching for info...

My xbox 360 gets a Netflix movie as 5.1 audio but my Sony BDP-N460 blu-ray player doesn't list the same movie as 5.1. Is that normal? Is that Netflix sending different audio to different apps or something? The blu-ray is up to date with updates, I don't know if the apps themselves update on that though. On the xbox I've had to update individual apps multiple times so is it just that the Netflix app on my blu-ray is older?

Your BDP first shipped at the beginning of 2009 and Netflix didn't have 5.1 sound until November of 2010 (it came with 1080p video and selectable captions/subs); I'd be extremely surprised if the Netflix app on your BDP was ever updated to support 5.1 sound. Does it list 5.1 sound for any Netflix title?

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #6606 of 6619 Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Your BDP first shipped at the beginning of 2009 and Netflix didn't have 5.1 sound until November of 2010 (it came with 1080p video and selectable captions/subs); I'd be extremely surprised if the Netflix app on your BDP was ever updated to support 5.1 sound. Does it list 5.1 sound for any Netflix title?
I'll check. Right now I disconnected it and brought up a newer one that I had in the bedroom to check that one. It's updating "internet content" now. It's a Sony BDP-S5100. I'll check the same movie and see if it lists it at 5.1.

I would think they would just update the app though, shouldn't it be fairly easy? The player itself handles 5.1 from discs and newer players have a newer app. And this player didn't have Netflix when it shipped, it was added via update. And the xbox was ordered on 10/2/09 but they update the individual apps frequently.

Okay, so the newer player lists the movie with not only 5.1 audio, but also "Super HD" video. Guess I'll put the older one in the bedroom then since I just use the TV audio there.

Playing that movie and the audio input and output say "Dolby Digital +" and not just DD as the xbox says. What is the +? It sounds fantastic.

Thanks for the reply!

Denon AVR-X4000 | Klipsch RF82 - RC62 - RS62 - (RSX4 satellites not hooked up yet) | av123 MFW-15 subwoofer

Last edited by Onk Yo; Yesterday at 01:27 PM.
post #6607 of 6619 Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onk Yo View Post
I would think they would just update the app though, shouldn't it be fairly easy?

You'll rarely see an OEM add a new or greatly updated embedded app to a device more than a year after launch, which is not to say that it doesn't ever happen; I got an Amazon app update for my 2011 Panasonic BDP sometime at the end of last year, which added a completely revamped UI with support for 5.1 sound and the Watchlist feature. (While I was more actively using that BDP I kept checking after every firmware update for support for those features but had stopped, so I didn't notice that they'd added them. It was entirely by chance that I fired up that app and saw the update; they didn't mention it in the firmware update release notes).

Quote:
Playing that movie and the audio input and output say "Dolby Digital +" and not just DD as the xbox says. What is the +? It sounds fantastic.

DD+ is a more advanced encoding than basic DD which can deliver equivalent quality at less than half the bit rate, so Dolby pushes it for use in streaming app. Netflix, VUDU and M-Go use it. The problem with it is that it's not supported by older AVRs which can handle basic DD and not all devices can convert it for output (most BD players can) so if your AVR can't handle it you're SOL for discrete surround sound out of Netflix. Dolby Pro-Logic II matrixed surround survives in the stereo tracks which can sound quite good.
Onk Yo likes this.

post #6608 of 6619 Old Today, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Your network doesn't have to go down, the Chromecast loses it's connection with it and then it is vulnerable. When I had some friends visiting who noted they could see my Chromecast on their Android phone wifi network lineup.

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/14...t-is-easy.html
Probably better to continue in the Chromecast thread.

Maybe you could post your reply there - it seems strange your Chromecast is losing connection to your router - weak WiFi/interference?

When I was using the Chromecast it never lost connection with my Router.
post #6609 of 6619 Old Today, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Michael, I think it is possible that Sony or Netflix may have been able to update a number devices that they didn't expect to by using some of the Android app code since BD-J is a form of Java. That would explain why 1080p streams but no DD+ just PCM (since they only stream AAC to Android).

undecided, the Google groups Chromecast support lists a number of people with connection drops. And like I said there you get finger pointing between Google and Netflix.
post #6610 of 6619 Old Today, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Michael, I think it is possible that Sony or Netflix may have been able to update a number devices that they didn't expect to by using some of the Android app code since BD-J is a form of Java. That would explain why 1080p streams but no DD+ just PCM (since they only stream AAC to Android).

What device are we talking about?

Netflix switched to writing their UI in HTML5+JavaScript+CSS running on top of Webkit for the old common Netflix UI and to primarily JavaScript running on their homespun, purpose optimized layout/rendering engine for the new common Netflix UI. This approach let's them make small to large changes to their UIs without waiting for the OEMs to issue firmware upgrades; profiles support, for instance, appeared simultaneously on the four or five devices I had with the old common Netflix UI on the day that the feature was announced. But something like 5.1 sound support will require a firmware level update and if the OEM is not disposed to make one to an older device (at end-of-life if it ain't broke, don't fix it) then the owners of those devices are SOL for that Netflix app feature.

post #6611 of 6619 Old Today, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I notice something on Netflix now that I have my TV set to native 1:1 mode on the very edge of all four corners there is pixel black dot. I get this on all my streaming devices, PS3, PS4, Roku 3, ATV3, Fire TV etc.
I searched on Google man can the search engine suck even worse than it does.

So I am asking here. I also notice it when I use to watch on my PC laptop. Its weird how other sources like Amazon Instant, YouTube, Watch channels does not do this.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; Today at 12:32 PM.
post #6612 of 6619 Old Today, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What device are we talking about?

Netflix switched to writing their UI in HTML5+JavaScript+CSS running on top of Webkit for the old common Netflix UI and to primarily JavaScript running on their homespun, purpose optimized layout/rendering engine for the new common Netflix UI. This approach let's them make small to large changes to their UIs without waiting for the OEMs to issue firmware upgrades; profiles support, for instance, appeared simultaneously on the four or five devices I had with the old common Netflix UI on the day that the feature was announced. But something like 5.1 sound support will require a firmware level update and if the OEM is not disposed to make one to an older device (at end-of-life if it ain't broke, don't fix it) then the owners of those devices are SOL for that Netflix app feature.
The Bluray player which uses BD-J for apps. I don't think that the Netflix app would be running HTML-JS on the BD player except for running selections and menus in a webview. Once a selection is made it could drop down to a layer between it and the Sony API for playing video (probably not that much different from the player API for the PSP). All I know is that I got an update for the new UI on the player back about June. I also note that where I used to get Prologic it's now just PCM whether it's off HDMI or SPDIF (no optical on the player).

I wrote two games on Android that run HTML5/JS except for the audio and an in one case ads. Those run on Android through a Javascript interface to Android library calls. Not exactly rocket science.
post #6613 of 6619 Old Today, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I notice something on Netflix now that I have my TV set to native 1:1 mode on the very edge of all four corners there is pixel black dot. I get this on all my streaming devices, PS3, PS4, Roku 3, ATV3, Fire TV etc.
I searched on Google man can the search engine suck even worse than it does.

So I am asking here. I also notice it when I use to watch on my PC laptop. Its weird how other sources like Amazon Instant, YouTube, Watch channels does not do this.
I have my set set to native with overscan off and have not seen any dot.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6614 of 6619 Old Today, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
I have my set set to native with overscan off and have not seen any dot.

Ian
You can see it more on 4:3 programs if you are close to the TV.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #6615 of 6619 Old Today, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
You can see it more on 4:3 programs if you are close to the TV.
Sorry, I don't watch 4:3. It's all wide screen or nothing for me.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6616 of 6619 Old Today, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 65
The PS3 Netflix app now simply shows 1080 in the display. There was an update for it yesterday on my console, so I'm guessing that's when the change occurred.
Spoiler!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PS3 NF App 10_22_2014.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	326025  

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #6617 of 6619 Old Today, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've been saying that they should do that every time I respond to someone complaining about it saying "1080 SD" or "2160 SD" . It's not a true feature but that doesn't stop their phone CSRs from wasting time responding to people who complain about that crap.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List