AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Neither was I .. ..

UHD is just another push by the CE folks to sell some hardware .. they need another cash cow .. 3-D failed to provide it, now UHD comes along ..
I have bought into atmos and I don't think that 3-D failed but isn't that there business In advancing technologies unfortunately it's not free.... my atmos 7.2.4 will blow away any soundbar away. I believe UHD sound is here and not everyone will buy into it but there will be plenty of us that will one thing that I agree with is that streaming will some day soon replace physical media. My new Atmos AVR plays all the blu-rays in a Dolby Surround listening mode and blows away my old Neo:X 9.2 that I grew to love. Atmos content will come I believe faster then 3D did.. 3D gave me a head ache at first then I got use to it.. but Atmos is a very different animal it envelopes you in sound and I'm seeing Netflix and vudu start streaming it..
mailiang likes this.

My main setup PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
MY 10' X 15' DEN PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray / Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos / Bose 161 top front on Ceiling Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6812 of 6838 Old 12-16-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
...Atmos is a very different animal it envelopes you in sound and I'm seeing Netflix and vudu start streaming it..

You're seeing them beginning to stream it now? Are do you mean that you foresee that they will start to stream it?

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #6813 of 6838 Old 12-16-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
You're seeing them beginning to stream it now? Are do you mean that you foresee that they will start to stream it?
Yes I foresee it sorry...
as I foresee streaming 4K content as well we are entering a great time for visual and audio developing right before us. We have been with 5.1 and 7.1 and 1080 for quite sometime now and now it's time to turn the page to 7.2.4 and 4K..

My main setup PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
MY 10' X 15' DEN PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray / Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos / Bose 161 top front on Ceiling Speakers
post #6814 of 6838 Old 12-16-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
About the popularity of 8-speaker systems? That's certainly only going to drop. People are abandoning 6 speaker systems. Too few people care about great surround sound and the WAF is very low. The streaming services aren't going to do anything purely to cater to AV-ophiles (though maybe new, more expensive services will rise to fill that niche ).
People who gravitate to sound bars are people that just as soon will be listening with their TV speakers.. people who have 8 speakers will not drop in my opinion down to a sound bar in their theater room or main viewing room I must say this once you taste what atmos can deliver you'll never turn back.. I know not all of us can afford New AVRs every time something new pops up.. but those that are enthusiasts will always strive for the new gear..That's just the way it has been and always will be.

post #6815 of 6838 Old 12-16-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
...I must say this once you taste what atmos can deliver you'll never turn back.. I know not all of us can afford New AVRs every time something new pops up.. but those that are enthusiasts will always strive for the new gear..That's just the way it has been and always will be.

I was in no way disparaging that attitude, just asserting that it's held by relatively miniscule portion of the entertainment video viewing public.

post #6816 of 6838 Old 12-16-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was in no way disparaging that attitude, just asserting that it's held by relatively miniscule portion of the entertainment video viewing public.
I know your not disparaging but there is a lot of money to be made on us relatively miniscule portion of the entertainment video enthusiasts and manufacturer's will continue to feed our hunger. There will always be a market for both...internet providers are ramping up things and opening up faster bandwidth our provider just increased my bandwidth to 150 megs from 90 so I see streaming is a growing industry.. but there will be people who are satisfied with 10megs..there is a market for everyone

post #6817 of 6838 Old 12-16-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I know your not disparaging but there is a lot of money to be made on us relatively miniscule portion of the entertainment video enthusiasts...

Not by the streaming video services, or at least not likely for audio, unless the equipment manufacturers kick them back a piece. It could be that Netflix will add a "DD+ Atmos" audio option and make people subscribe to the 4-screens-at-a-time plan to get access to it, as they're now requiring for access to "UltraHD 4K" titles (except for those of us who were grandfathered in by accessing the 4K titles before the hike on October 10th), but I doubt it. Unlike 2160p video, 7.1 and x.1.2 or x.1.4 audio aren't likely to cost them anything to develop, just tiny bit more bandwidth off their servers. VUDU has a certain number of titles with 7.1 audio and they've never tried to get more money for them.

Last edited by michaeltscott; 12-16-2014 at 10:32 PM.
post #6818 of 6838 Old 12-16-2014, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 360
IMO, as 4K content becomes more popular and available, most streaming media services will include some form of UHD audio. Regardless, I'll stick with my plasma and Blu-Ray with DTS MA as long as I can.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 12-16-2014 at 10:21 PM.
post #6819 of 6838 Old Yesterday, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Neither was I .. ..

UHD is just another push by the CE folks to sell some hardware .. they need another cash cow .. 3-D failed to provide it, now UHD comes along ..
The video side (+3D) of incremental beyond 7.1 lossless audio - industry money grab, niche at best.
post #6820 of 6838 Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Regardless of the need to sell more gear with UHD and make money, which I agree with, I do not agree with comparing UHD to 3D in future expected acceptance.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI / Emotiva XPA-3
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #6821 of 6838 Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Regardless of the need to sell more gear with UHD and make money, which I agree with, I do not agree with comparing UHD to 3D in future expected acceptance.
I don't think I'd disagree with that .. at some point 4K / UHD sets may in fact become the defacto norm beyond a certain size .. if that's all that's available when 4K is as cheap to produce as 1080p .. same thing with 3-D if sets simply have 3-D whether you want it or not ..

A few things here is 1) When 4K players roll out 2) When content is more widely available 3) DVD still outsells BD, so how much 4K demand for physical media will there be .. ??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #6822 of 6838 Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not by the streaming video services, or at least not likely for audio, unless the equipment manufacturers kick them back a piece. It could be that Netflix will add a "DD+ Atmos" audio option and make people subscribe to the 4-screens-at-a-time plan to get access to it, as they're now requiring for access to "UltraHD 4K" titles (except for those of us who were grandfathered in by accessing the 4K titles before the hike on October 10th), but I doubt it. Unlike 2160p video, 7.1 and x.1.2 or x.1.4 audio aren't likely to cost them anything to develop, just tiny bit more bandwidth off their servers. VUDU has a certain number of titles with 7.1 audio and they've never tried to get more money for them.
What I was trying to say was there will always be US miniscule enthusiast that will spring for a full blown array of speakers with the latest AVRs pushing them.. and then there will be those who are satisfied using their TV speakers.. I'm hoping for the day that all high resolution video and 7.1 of 7.1.4 audio will be accessible by streaming whether it's like Netflix and Amazon Prime. Hulu and Amazon has many rentals and my library is on their sever in the cloud. I foresee that as this grows and service providers increase bandwidth to their customers that physical media will dwindle and streaming will be the norm I have hundreds of DVDs blu-rays 3D blu-rays and now I'm getting blu-rays with Dolby Atmos.. I can free up lots of space I know it's a catch twenty two what if there's a cloud burst or I get dementia and foreget all my user names and passwords...
But it think streaming will be mainstream..

post #6823 of 6838 Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Just a random thought, but prices of used fully functional PS3's have dropped as low as $40.00 in pawn shops and Craigs List in my area .. perhaps not as versatile as a Roku as far as aps go, but I personally don't think there is any better Netflix streaming device and they double as a BD player ..
I used to have a PS3 but sold it and got an Apple TV. Gave the Apple TV to my in-laws thinking the TV interface would be enough. Oh well.

Is the Roku interface as smooth as the Apple TV?

Thanks for the thoughts people.
post #6824 of 6838 Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Although I don't think that there's any overwhelming demand for it, I've come to agree with some that "4K" is pretty much a done deal. For some reason the industry wants it and eventually most televisions will be 2160 res, sort of like the current situation with 1080 and 720 res. It's clear that Atmos is already becoming a standard feature on new AVRs above a certain relatively low price line, most of those with features to handle switching 2160 res signals at 60Hz and to upconvert inputs to that resolution. I see that there are already "Atmos-enabled" floor standing and bookshelf speaker systems with upward firing elements and two inputs, though none of the ones that I see could be called particularly "affordable".

post #6825 of 6838 Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.steevo View Post
I just wanted to add that I tried connecting the TV through WiFi and it only worked for 2 days before I got the aip-701 code. Once again I had to deauthorize Netflix on the TV and sign back in before I could watch any program.

Any help would be appreciated!
Move the router next to the TV? Probably can't but that's often the stock support answer. I can't do that either. If you have U-Verse the gateway is usually set to 400mw which only enough power to go about 20'. Range extenders don't work either. They're fine for a home office that might be on the outskirts of the house as long as you're not trying to watch movies there.

Like someone else mentioned get an Ethernet enabled device for streaming for reliability. In fact I specifically did NOT buy a "smart TV" as I figured the apps would not get updated after a while and I saved a lot of money getting a "dumb TV." I'm currently using the entry level Sony S1200 for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+, VUDU, YouTube, Vimeo, etc. "Marco Polo" has been 1080p every episode so far.
post #6826 of 6838 Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Move the router next to the TV? Probably can't but that's often the stock support answer. I can't do that either. If you have U-Verse the gateway is usually set to 400mw which only enough power to go about 20'. Range extenders don't work either. They're fine for a home office that might be on the outskirts of the house as long as you're not trying to watch movies there.
The TV has been directly connected using CAT5 cable until a few days ago when I thought I would try WiFi. WiFi was the last resort and I figured I would try it as I remember once my Apple TV would not update properly unless it was connected wirelessly.

I really don't want to have another box and liked the idea of the simplicity of a one button activation of Netflix as I am tired of my family asking me how to work the TV/PS3/Apple TV/whatever, but now I am sick and tired of having to fix this Netflix connection issue.

Sometimes I hate technology.
post #6827 of 6838 Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Unless you are streaming on 5ghz closer to the router don't bother use a Cat5E or Cat6 cable.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired

Cats are the best pets
post #6828 of 6838 Unread Yesterday, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Netflix's November Speed Index has been out for over a week. Netflix is really getting their money's worth for payments made to providers to get direct connections into their networks; Verizon maintains the lead and Comcast and Charter have leapfrogged my provider, Cox Communications, which was #2 behind Cablevision for a very long time. Cox has fallen to #6 , though it's average speed went up a bit (not sure why Comcast and Charter are listed ahead of them when they all have the same average speed). Cablevision holds its position as #2 .

post #6829 of 6838 Unread Yesterday, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Unless you are streaming on 5ghz closer to the router don't bother use a Cat5E or Cat6 cable.
I have been connected via CAT5 up until a couple of days ago when I thought I'd give wireless a try and it didn't fix the problem. I'm now back to wired with CAT5 and it still gives me the error code.

BTW, I'm in Canada.

Last edited by mr.steevo; Yesterday at 04:26 PM.
post #6830 of 6838 Unread Yesterday, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.steevo View Post

I really don't want to have another box and liked the idea of the simplicity of a one button activation of Netflix as I am tired of my family asking me how to work the TV/PS3/Apple TV/whatever, but now I am sick and tired of having to fix this Netflix connection issue.

Then the Roku 3 would be the simplest option for you and the family. It's easy to use, just flip the tv over to the HDMI input, and touch any button on the Roku remote and it's ready to go. Simple interface, the Netflix app is the new standard version, with the profiles option, no fuss, no muss.

I know you don't want to fuss with a separate box, but it's the best alternative to dealing with the tv's glitchy embedded NF app.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #6831 of 6838 Unread Yesterday, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Netflix's November Speed Index has been out for over a week. ... (not sure why Comcast and Charter are listed ahead of them when they all have the same average speed).
If more positions after the decimal point were shown, it may reveal that Comcast, Charter and Cox have different average prime-time speeds.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S3100), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (29Mbps/6Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #6832 of 6838 Unread Today, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i had the roku stick and have dsl which i am at the very edge of thru my pc i can not even stream flash video off you tube thru the roku stick i could watch netflix all be not very hidef but decent streaming video is a issue concerning net neutrality you might be in a small service area with a mom and pops isp and there could be throttling done by the man in the middle go to twit.tv do a search for net neutrality there are several podcast on this subject from both sides as far as speed test goes it only looking for packet loss video is a band with hog and from what i understand netflix is greedy not the company there software or servers the more you feed netflix the more it wants
post #6833 of 6838 Unread Today, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 98
talk about a hard read. forget it.
mailiang likes this.
post #6834 of 6838 Unread Today, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
talk about a hard read. forget it.
We may disagree on the subject of Atmos, but I have to give you a thumbs up on this one!

Ian

post #6835 of 6838 Unread Today, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwho2012 View Post
... as far as speed test goes it only looking for packet loss video is a band with hog and from what i understand netflix is greedy not the company there software or servers the more you feed netflix the more it wants
Huh???

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6836 of 6838 Unread Today, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Huh???
I believe he may be texting from a mobile phone.

Ian

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page