post #6841 of 6864 Unread 12-18-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
I have a problem with the content, not the verbiage.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
[QUOTE=bargervais;29982177]I....but there will be plenty of us that will one thing that I agree with is that streaming will some day soon replace physical media. My new Atmos AVR plays all the blu-rays in a Dolby Surround listening mode and blows away my old Neo:X 9.2 that I grew to love. ....QUOTE]

I have a 11.2 setup now, and have been wondering about how non Atmos encoded tv/movies would compare to my dts neo 11.2, it seems from your experience it does improve the audio experience. I am also interested in auro3d and how it may improve typical dolby 5.1 but those aren't being added to avrs until the spring.

I came to this thread since I only rent BR from NF, have found vudu hdx VQ satisfactory on my 91x51 pj screen, but not nearly as good as BR. There are some new original shows coming to NF streaming that caught my attention and was hoping for at least as good vq as I get from my FIOS for hdtv programming. Any thoughts?
post #6843 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
The Google kids just don't understand "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
This is known as "Job Justificationitis" and is fairly rampant within the Tech community .. as you know ..

I was wondering if anyone experienced an interruption of PS3 / PS4 NF feeds due to the reported hack .. ?? I've not booted up and watched anything on NF the last few days ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #6844 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post
I came to this thread since I only rent BR from NF, have found vudu hdx VQ satisfactory on my 91x51 pj screen, but not nearly as good as BR. There are some new original shows coming to NF streaming that caught my attention and was hoping for at least as good vq as I get from my FIOS for hdtv programming. Any thoughts?
Just speaking for myself, I find some, not all, of the VUDU HDX feeds approaching BD quality .. there have been a few ad hoc comparisons on AVS as well as other sites .. the main issues I've noticed on VUDU is a bit heavy use of compression, resulting in dark scenes suffering, yet bright scenes with very little action, detail levels were close to Blu-ray .. audio wise, you're not going to get BD Master Audio quality ..

I have no complaints on NF PQ or SQ based on price / value / content / quality, I can't compare to FIOS delivery, however, I'm running 100Mbps hardwired and watch at either 65" or 120" ..

They probably offer a 30 day free trial still, if you've never used the service before .. at least they used to ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #6845 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I watched 4 episodes of "The Honorable Woman" on NF yesterday, every one at 1080p, no problem. Thought there might be a bit more congestion due to "new players" for Christmas and people settling down to watch "something on Netflix" but not so.
post #6846 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 23
We tried to watch a couple Netflix features on our 20 Mbs connection. We regularly got bits of dropped audio, and several times it stopped and rebuffered. This isn't acceptable in front of friends. We're sticking to mailed media.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #6847 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Just speaking for myself, I find some, not all, of the VUDU HDX feeds approaching BD quality .. there have been a few ad hoc comparisons on AVS as well as other sites .. the main issues I've noticed on VUDU is a bit heavy use of compression, resulting in dark scenes suffering, yet bright scenes with very little action, detail levels were close to Blu-ray .. audio wise, you're not going to get BD Master Audio quality ..

I have no complaints on NF PQ or SQ based on price / value / content / quality, I can't compare to FIOS delivery, however, I'm running 100Mbps hardwired and watch at either 65" or 120" ..

They probably offer a 30 day free trial still, if you've never used the service before .. at least they used to ..
I just checked and they do offer the free 30 day trial, thanks, good idea. I have a 50mb up/down speed that uses moca connection to my oppo for the NF service. If it is really that bad I guess I could wait until the series ends and it comes out on BR.
post #6848 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post
I just checked and they do offer the free 30 day trial, thanks, good idea. I have a 50mb up/down speed that uses moca connection to my oppo for the NF service. If it is really that bad I guess I could wait until the series ends and it comes out on BR.
Your speed will be more than adequate .. let us know how it goes for you ..

Uncle Willie

post #6849 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
We tried to watch a couple Netflix features on our 20 Mbs connection. We regularly got bits of dropped audio, and several times it stopped and rebuffered. This isn't acceptable in front of friends. We're sticking to mailed media.

If I may ask, what equipment were you watching it with? I can't recall ever hearing a complaint of dropped audio and it doesn't make much sense given that, at 192 Kbps max, it's the smallest portion of the stream.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #6850 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
If I may ask, what equipment were you watching it with? I can't recall ever hearing a complaint of dropped audio and it doesn't make much sense given that, at 192 Kbps max, it's the smallest portion of the stream.
TiVo Series4.

It was probably dropping frames while it was dropping the audio. A few dropped frames is not a big deal. Losing words in dialog is a big deal.

post #6851 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Lightbulb Your problem may not be Netflix

Quote:
TiVo Series4.

It was probably dropping frames while it was dropping the audio. A few dropped frames is not a big deal. Losing words in dialog is a big deal.
You may want to try a different steaming device, unless there is an issue with your ISP. Until recently, my download speed was less then 20mbps and I never had an issue streaming the highest quality (5800 kps) 1080p streams on my wife's Windows 8.1 PC, my Roku 2, and Panasonic smart TV. Both Panasonic BD players, Macbook and two older PC's (which use the older 720p interface) always ramp up to 720p, consistently.

Ian

post #6852 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
You may want to try a different steaming device, unless there is an issue with your ISP.
Throw this one out and buy something else? Good idea! Will do...

post #6853 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
TiVo Series4.

Did they finally build in Wi Fi .. and if so, are you using it .. ?? Or the separate wireless adapter .. ?? It's been a while since I ditched my TIVO .. they still email me and I did get a message on software version 20.4.5 that included some streaming issue corrections ..

I pretty much use PS3 or PS4 to stream NF, and when I get any frame drops, which is rare, the audio portion never drops out .. and when the frame drop corrects, the audio is still in sync ..

Uncle Willie

post #6854 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Did they finally build in Wi Fi .. and if so, are you using it .. ?? Or the separate wireless adapter .. ??
No Wifi. I have Ethernet going into it.

I don't think my ISP is giving me problems:

I forgot they doubled my speed a few months ago.

post #6855 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
TiVo Series4.

By which you mean one of the TiVo Premiere models. I have a basic Premiere with PLS that I really ought to put up for sale since I replaced it with a TiVo Roamio. I don't recall that I ever had much problem with its performance running Netflix. Roamio runs the latest common Netflix UI quite smoothly, though Premiere is maybe a little underpowered for it (a friend who works on firmware at TiVo told me that a recent system update has improved it). In any case it should handle the actual streaming just fine. I never noticed a problem with it while I was using it that I can recall, but it's been a while.

My TiVo Roamio has become my primary platform for streaming Netflix, Amazon and VUDU (except for 2160p--aka "4K"--which I can only stream via my TV's internal apps) because it can output their 24p content as a 24Hz signal which my new TV can display with even pulldown and no added judder.

post #6856 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Roamio runs the latest common Netflix UI quite smoothly, though Premiere is maybe a little underpowered for it (a friend who works on firmware at TiVo told me that a recent system update has improved it).
Yes, the original HD interface was completely unusable. The first thing you did was switch it back to the SD interface so you could use it. Even trivial navigation would take seconds with every button press. A year or so later they released an update. The new HD interface is still slow but at least it's usable now.

Quote:
In any case it should handle the actual streaming just fine. I never noticed a problem with it while I was using it that I can recall, but it's been a while.
I'm not going to spend any time or energy diagnosing someone's product. I never tried streaming before yesterday and it didn't work acceptably. I'll stick to old fashioned media.

post #6857 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm not going to spend any time or energy diagnosing someone's product. I never tried streaming before yesterday and it didn't work acceptably. I'll stick to old fashioned media.

Alright, grandpa--for as long as they continue to make it. Soon enough it'll be like buying music on vinyl .

post #6858 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Alright, grandpa--for as long as they continue to make it. Soon enough it'll be like buying music on vinyl .
We old folks really like things that work. This old man never had problems with CD's skipping!

post #6859 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
No Wifi. I have Ethernet going into it.

I don't think my ISP is giving me problems:

I forgot they doubled my speed a few months ago.
May I ask, what titles were you watching when you experienced these problems?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #6860 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
May I ask, what titles were you watching when you experienced these problems?
Do you work for Netflix?

post #6861 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
No. Just curious as to what titles exhibited the audio dropouts and rebuffering.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #6862 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Throw this one out and buy something else? Good idea! Will do...
Funny, I don't recall suggesting you throw anything out, but what's wrong with a little sarcasm. I guess if the name fits, wear it. If you change your mind about streaming, consider getting something like a Roku. They're pretty cheap and they actually work!

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; Yesterday at 11:08 PM.
post #6863 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Funny, I don't recall suggesting you throw anything out, but what's wrong with a little sarcasm.
Do you keep stuff that doesn't work? In my house if it's broken, it goes!

post #6864 of 6864 Unread Today, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 448
My toaster doesn't do Netflix very well either. But it still makes great toast. So I keep it for that and use something else for Netflix rather than declare Netflix unusable.

I do like that this thread has just gotten a lot more enjoyable then it has been in months. Welcome, scowl.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware