post #6871 of 6879 Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
People appreciate visible efforts to fix bugs.
But not bugless software. If you don't have bugs, you weren't trying hard enough!

Quote:
In this age of connected devices folks rush things to market with insufficient testing because they can readily fix things later.
I guess my company was cutting edge. Twenty years ago every one of our customers was connected to a 9600 baud modem and received fixes from us almost every day. Our goal was to minimize this by improving our testing and shipping the best product possible. That would be a waste of resources under the new development model.

I figure that's another reason why they're trying to get rid of media. Who can get everything on a disc right the first time? No one! All those languages and captions and extra features and snazzy Javascript menus!

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6872 of 6879 Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
This is what TiVo did. The original Premiere HD interface was useless but people are thrilled with the new interface which is barely usable. I assume they'll fix the streaming problem too and look like geniuses!
I have had an early TiVo Premiere Elite for nearly three years and it has been wonderful. I have used its Netflix app to stream Netflix programming for several months and it has worked well. I rarely have connectivity problems and virtually everything I watch has 1080 resolution. Until Netflix did away with it, it showed most stuff as having 1080 Super HD quality.

I resisted streaming for a long time because of its inferiority to BDs but I have learned that the (slight) compromises I have to make in image and audio quality are a small price to pay for programming that I probably won't want to see but once. I still buy BDs but far fewer of them than I bought before I joined the streaming revolution.
post #6873 of 6879 Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I resisted streaming for a long time because of its inferiority to BDs but I have learned that the (slight) compromises I have to make in image and audio quality are a small price to pay for programming that I probably won't want to see but once.
For programming you wish to see only but once, Netflix still has Blu-ray discs. They've always worked for me. To me blurriness and dropped frames and lossy sound (and in my case missing sound) are serious compromises. That's why I gladly pay extra for it.

I'm sure if there were nothing else, I'd learn to like it like a good customer.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #6874 of 6879 Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 362
I'm on both plans, and although I watch most of the big blockbusters on BD, I'm quite impressed with streaming quality, which in many cases comes surprisingly close to what I experience from physical media on my Panasonic Plasma. Will streaming kill physical media?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; Yesterday at 10:30 PM.
post #6875 of 6879 Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Until Netflix did away with it, it showed most stuff as having 1080 Super HD quality.

Before Netflix did away with what? Super HD? It was just a label for the 4300- and 5800 Kbps 1080p video encodes. What they did away with is the 3800 Kbps 1080p encode and the Super HD label. Now all 1080p video is "Super HD".

The bad thing about getting rid of the Super HD label is that some HD titles are limited to 720p; before they got rid of the Super HD label, those were labelled simply HD. Now both 720p-only and 1080p titles are all labelled simply HD so you can't tell which are 720p (except in the Win8 app, the last Netflix player I have which still has that label).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #6876 of 6879 Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The bad thing about getting rid of the Super HD label is that some HD titles are limited to 720p; before they got rid of the Super HD label, those were labelled simply HD. Now both 720p-only and 1080p titles are all labelled simply HD so you can't tell which are 720p (except in the Win8 app, the last Netflix player I have which still has that label).
I agree. Luckily my smart TV app tells me what rez I'm getting. Haven't come across any 720p titles lately, but most of what I watch are the newer releases anyway.

Ian

post #6877 of 6879 Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
I agree. Luckily my smart TV app tells me what rez I'm getting. Haven't come across any 720p titles lately, but most of what I watch are the newer releases anyway.

That's the thing though--are you only getting 720p because that's all that's available for the title or because you're strangely not getting enough bandwidth for 1080p?

First world problem .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #6878 of 6879 Old Today, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's the thing though--are you only getting 720p because that's all that's available for the title or because you're strangely not getting enough bandwidth for 1080p?

First world problem .
I usually watch Netflix on my Panasonic TV. Since the titles are usually newer releases, they have all been in 1080p. As you know, I have Cablevision, and since they changed my plan, my download speed now averages between 50 and 60 mbps. Also, as I posted earlier, I haven't experienced any problem ramping up to 5800 kps on any of my devises, except the ones that have the old interface which is limited to 720p.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; Today at 10:18 AM.
post #6879 of 6879 Old Today, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
I have Cablevision, and since they changed my plan, my download speed now averages between 50 and 60 mbps.
They changed your plan meaning that is their standard offering or you upgraded?
post #6880 of 6879 Old Today, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
They changed your plan meaning that is their standard offering or you upgraded?
When they raised their pricing on the 15 meg plan (I was actually getting close to 20) I called and complained. They couldn't reduce the price, so they gave me the higher 50 meg plan at the 15 meg rate.

Ian

post #6881 of 6879 Old Today, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 102
WTF I am 15 getting 20 at TWC. I wonder how I can pull that off.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware