Netflix streaming quality - Page 242 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 282Likes
post #7231 of 7247 Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
The Internet won't get much better, only faster, but worst with more traffic jams, and speeding tickets.

The streaming companies are out in front of that; no "traffic jams" for companies like Netflix with direct interconnections into ISP networks, with caching servers in those networks or immediately adjacent so that content never crosses the "open Internet" at all, and the most watched content comes from a server within your ISPs local network. If I want 16 Mbps 4K Netflix w/DD+ I get it any time I ask for it, day or night, from a provider in a major city with hundreds of thousands of local subs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
And Netflix is no more in few years from now; another streaming service will replace it.

Yeah--that's gonna happen . Go ahead--bet the family farm on it .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; Yesterday at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7232 of 7247 Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
But I don't think the cable and telco companies will just sit back and let people feed at their broadband trough. Expect bandwidth cap and metered usage. 4k will be over compressed just like everything that went before. ditto 8k if we ever see it in our lifetime.

Given that the FCC has just declared Internet service to be a regulatable utility, I see usage caps going away--I'd be like having your water turned off because you used too much. I expect usage tiered billing of some sort, with a certain amount of bandwidth included in your plan and charges for additional usage.

And in what sense are people "feeding" at the telcos' "bandwidth troughs"? They're paid to provide connectivity and bandwidth.
jhughy2010 likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7233 of 7247 Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I feel the need to throw in my $.02!

Physical media IMO is on its way out for the vast majority of consumers. As I talk to my friends and co-workers about the content that they consume... a vast majority of them utilize Netflix, Hulu and/or Amazon Instant Video. Very few if any of them purchase BD media. For the very few that do utilize physical media they generally rent from Red Box and do NOT care about quality so opt for DVD's instead. The persons that utilize Netflix don't care about quality either.

i still care about quality, but I don't need everything in the best quality. Some content I buy on BD. Some content I rent on BD. Some content I stream from Vudu, Amazon, Hulu, Xbox Live, PSN, etc. It really depends on the title.
rlb and jhughy2010 like this.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7234 of 7247 Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Given that the FCC has just declared Internet service to be a regulatable utility, I see usage caps going away--I'd be like having your water turned off because you used too much. I expect usage tiered billing of some sort, with a certain amount of bandwidth included in your plan and charges for additional usage.

And in what sense are people "feeding" at the telcos' "bandwidth troughs"? They're paid to provide connectivity and bandwidth.
Yes, that old chestnut has always bugged me, what exactly are subscribers paying for(at around a 95% margin for the provider by the way!) if not to have the connection maintained and upgraded? I know my bill keeps going up every year.
post #7235 of 7247 Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Yes, that old chestnut has always bugged me, what exactly are subscribers paying for(at around a 95% margin for the provider by the way!) if not to have the connection maintained and upgraded? I know my bill keeps going up every year.
I'm not exactly an advocate for the cable company... in fact I hate the 12 month gimmicks so much it has caused me to cancel cable TV and install an OTA antenna. Since then though I have been paying a steady sixty something dollars per month to get a great connection with no data caps. At first it was around 25Mbps and now it is at 50Mbps.... same company... same monthly bill. Furthermore, my bill will never go up... I specifically asked for the "none-promotional" rate (they wouldn't have given me the promo rate without TV or Telephone anyway).

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (MB3), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #7236 of 7247 Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
i still care about quality, but I don't need everything in the best quality. Some content I buy on BD. Some content I rent on BD. Some content I stream from Vudu, Amazon, Hulu, Xbox Live, PSN, etc. It really depends on the title.
A reasonable post like this has no place on AVS. Mods, mods, are you seeing this ...
cardoski, fredxr2d2 and Mark12547 like this.
post #7237 of 7247 Old Today, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
You may have heard of it. It's called greed.

From where the Telco sit, they spent billions laying the pipes. Now every body is else is making money off of their network. They want to get every piece of action they can. In France they managed to reach a deal to make Google to pay up because Google generates too much traffic, never mind that their subscribers already paid. They want to double dip, triple dip, quadruple dip.

Net neutrality only says they have to treat all the data going through the same. For example, they cannot privilege their own competing video streaming service by making it faster or exempting it from usage count (which is just what they want to do). It does not say anything about cap or metered usage. You think competition will prevent that? In most places, you only have two choices for broadband (me: Time Warner or Verizon). If one company implements cap you can count on the other to follow suit.

And they fought tooth and nail against net neutrality. No doubt with a different administration they will try to gut it or roll it back.
post #7238 of 7247 Old Today, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

From where the Telco sit, they spent billions laying the pipes. Now every body is else is making money off of their network. They want to get every piece of action they can. In France they managed to reach a deal to make Google to pay up because Google generates too much traffic, never mind that their subscribers already paid. They want to double dip, triple dip, quadruple dip.

Net neutrality only says they have to treat all the data going through the same. For example, they cannot privilege their own competing video streaming service by making it faster or exempting it from usage count (which is just what they want to do). It does not say anything about cap or metered usage. You think competition will prevent that? In most places, you only have two choices for broadband (me: Time Warner or Verizon). If one company implements cap you can count on the other to follow suit.

And they fought tooth and nail against net neutrality. No doubt with a different administration they will try to gut it or roll it back.

Govt created these monopolies, yet for some reason the only solution is MORE govt.
post #7239 of 7247 Old Today, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I think the Govt fixing mistakes (or tangentially trying to) does not equal "MORE govt" in the derogatory sense that you imply. But, YMMV.
cardoski likes this.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet HD 43%, PS3, with Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030, SVS PB-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 SM55 for surrounds.
post #7240 of 7247 Old Today, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 842
An equally, if not more so, facet that comes on the heels of Net Neutrality is FCC Wheeler announcing his intention to reclassify broadband Internet access as a "telecommunications service" under Title II of the Communications Act. Using Title II would restore basic protections against blocking and unreasonable discrimination by broadband providers, grounding those protections in the proper part of the law for the first time in more than a decade.

The move would give the FCC power to enforce net neutrality as well as open broadband lines up to third-party competition, enabling free markets to deliver better service for less money, thus essentially at some point giving the Consumer the ability to choose a provider thru the same system of leased / rented access that land line phone companies and some electric utilities have had for some time ..

The fostering of competition within the ISP market, if enacted, will finally give us an opportunity to actually have some selection of service ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #7241 of 7247 Old Today, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

You're very lucky you have two choices for broadband, I believe in most places it's actually only one choice for FCC-qualified(25 mb/s or more) broadband. My only choice is Comcast, or a telco alternative which would be straining hard to get to a reliable 25mb/s download speed.

If Comcast finally restores caps or a UBB system my only hope at this point is to see Sonic and their 1Ghz fiber finally get deployed in their home town.
post #7242 of 7247 Old Today, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
You're very lucky you have two choices for broadband, I believe in most places it's actually only one choice for FCC-qualified(25 mb/s or more) broadband. My only choice is Comcast, or a telco alternative which would be straining hard to get to a reliable 25mb/s download speed.

If Comcast finally restores caps or a UBB system my only hope at this point is to see Sonic and their 1Ghz fiber finally get deployed in their home town.
To my surprise reading an article on the new FCC rules, California does have a law in place forbidding municipal broadband if there is already a commercial service in the community. So Comcast, AT&T and the other usual suspects have been busy up in Sacramento.
post #7243 of 7247 Old Today, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
To my surprise reading an article on the new FCC rules, California does have a law in place forbidding municipal broadband if there is already a commercial service in the community. So Comcast, AT&T and the other usual suspects have been busy up in Sacramento.
The legislative restrictions placed on Community Based Broadband, IMO, are one of the biggest legal supports of the general ISP monopoly structure .. in fact, if memory serves, 20 States have this legislation .. it's a travesty to the open market, it is another reason competition is being stifled ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #7244 of 7247 Old Today, 11:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
According to this 2014 Arstechica article that only applies to Community Service Districts which typically are unincorporated areas of the county. If a city like Santa Rosa, or Martinez wanted to install a community broadband system they can do so without restriction from state law. At least that's how I'm reading it.
post #7245 of 7247 Old Today, 11:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
The legislative restrictions placed on Community Based Broadband, IMO, are one of the biggest legal supports of the general ISP monopoly structure .. in fact, if memory serves, 20 States have this legislation .. it's a travesty to the open market, it is another reason competition is being stifled ..
I believe the FCC has already stated that situation will not continue and they will strike down all those ISP-written state laws preventing community broadband. It's amazing those laws even exist in the first place, legislators really should just wear the logos of their corporate sponsors right on their suits just like NASCAR drivers.
mailiang, mdavej, mgkdragn and 1 others like this.
post #7246 of 7247 Old Today, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I believe the FCC has already stated that situation will not continue and they will strike down all those ISP-written state laws preventing community broadband. It's amazing those laws even exist in the first place, legislators really should just wear the logos of their corporate sponsors right on their suits just like NASCAR drivers.

I'd vote for that as a requirement .. and the larger the "donation" the larger the logo ..

Uncle Willie

post #7247 of 7247 Unread Today, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3951 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
You guys have too many laws and not enough voters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page