Netflix streaming quality - Page 242 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #7231 of 7234 Old Today, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
The Internet won't get much better, only faster, but worst with more traffic jams, and speeding tickets.

The streaming companies are out in front of that; no "traffic jams" for companies like Netflix with direct interconnections into ISP networks, with caching servers in those networks or immediately adjacent so that content never crosses the "open Internet" at all, and the most watched content comes from a server within your ISPs local network. If I want 16 Mbps 4K Netflix w/DD+ I get it any time I ask for it, day or night, from a provider in a major city with hundreds of thousands of local subs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
And Netflix is no more in few years from now; another streaming service will replace it.

Yeah--that's gonna happen . Go ahead--bet the family farm on it .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; Today at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7232 of 7234 Old Today, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
But I don't think the cable and telco companies will just sit back and let people feed at their broadband trough. Expect bandwidth cap and metered usage. 4k will be over compressed just like everything that went before. ditto 8k if we ever see it in our lifetime.

Given that the FCC has just declared Internet service to be a regulatable utility, I see usage caps going away--I'd be like having your water turned off because you used too much. I expect usage tiered billing of some sort, with a certain amount of bandwidth included in your plan and charges for additional usage.

And in what sense are people "feeding" at the telcos' "bandwidth troughs"? They're paid to provide connectivity and bandwidth.
jhughy2010 likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7233 of 7234 Old Today, 02:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I feel the need to throw in my $.02!

Physical media IMO is on its way out for the vast majority of consumers. As I talk to my friends and co-workers about the content that they consume... a vast majority of them utilize Netflix, Hulu and/or Amazon Instant Video. Very few if any of them purchase BD media. For the very few that do utilize physical media they generally rent from Red Box and do NOT care about quality so opt for DVD's instead. The persons that utilize Netflix don't care about quality either.

i still care about quality, but I don't need everything in the best quality. Some content I buy on BD. Some content I rent on BD. Some content I stream from Vudu, Amazon, Hulu, Xbox Live, PSN, etc. It really depends on the title.
jhughy2010 likes this.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7234 of 7234 Old Today, 04:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Given that the FCC has just declared Internet service to be a regulatable utility, I see usage caps going away--I'd be like having your water turned off because you used too much. I expect usage tiered billing of some sort, with a certain amount of bandwidth included in your plan and charges for additional usage.

And in what sense are people "feeding" at the telcos' "bandwidth troughs"? They're paid to provide connectivity and bandwidth.
Yes, that old chestnut has always bugged me, what exactly are subscribers paying for(at around a 95% margin for the provider by the way!) if not to have the connection maintained and upgraded? I know my bill keeps going up every year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware