Netflix streaming quality - Page 244 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 339Likes

post #7291 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
...And with Netflix you simply can't. You have to subscribe to their services to find out that they promote their own Netflix shows (TV soap operas).
And don't expect to find flicks like 'Interstellar' or 'John Wick' or 'Exodus: Gods and Kings', ...etc., because you won't.

'The Interview' ...I think they do have that one though.
Yes, it's too bad we can't get it all for $8 bucks a month .. .. content has a cycle .. Theater / Disk / PPV / CATV etc, ultimately, at some point, ending up at a streaming provider somewhere down the food chain in most cases .. whether it's NF / Amazon a lot depends on what it's going to cost .. there is nothing preventing NF or any of the others from offering 'Interstellar' if they are willing to pay what it takes to do it .. by the time whatever might be considered a blockbuster gets to all you can eat streaming, most that wanted to see it, have ..

And on a side note, Sony pulled off one of the greatest marketing coups in History with "The Interview" .. raking in more than $40 million from online sales and rentals alone ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, x_machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Instantwatcher doesn't work in Canada? Strange that IW would even have a Canada filter option if Canadians couldn't even see the list.
This is some of the USA selections. ...Nothing Canadian.

And! This is not a list; but you have to enter one selection @ a time...and only the USA movie/documentary/TV shows.

* Thx for trying. ...I have already spent a lot of time searching, to no avail.
post #7293 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, x_machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Fortunately, there are on line databases not affiliated with NF that do provide the info ..

<<<♦>>> http://netflixcanadacompletelist.blogspot.com/ <<<♦>>>
Best link so far; muchas gracias amigo. ...Finally!
post #7294 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Netflix is aware of the limited programming options outside the US and plans on fixing it. Netflix plans to fix one it's biggest problems

Ian
♦ Thank you Ian for that. ...That is good news, and about time.

Quote:
Yes, it's too bad we can't get it all for $8 bucks a month .. .. content has a cycle .. Theater / Disk / PPV / CATV etc, ultimately, at some point, ending up at a streaming provider somewhere down the food chain in most cases .. whether it's NF / Amazon a lot depends on what it's going to cost .. there is nothing preventing NF or any of the others from offering 'Interstellar' if they are willing to pay what it takes to do it .. by the time whatever might be considered a blockbuster gets to all you can eat streaming, most that wanted to see it, have ..
♦ Just to be able to look @ a Canadian Netflix list; is all I'm truly asking. ...Their titles we'll see if it coincide with my preferred coordinates.
...Freedom to choose from a selective offer. ...It's all about the movies/documentaries, and not about $7.99/month.

Quote:
And on a side note, Sony pulled off one of the greatest marketing coups in History with "The Interview" .. raking in more than $40 million from online sales and rentals alone ..
♦ Perhaps Sony is going to support more movies of that "high caliber" in the future, and make more money by distributing them over Netflix?
...'The Interview' ...right on; and directed and written and acted by one of the top Canadian actors and movie writers and filmmakers.
- More flicks like that on Netflix and I'll join for sure.
post #7295 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
♦ Perhaps Sony is going to support more movies of that "high caliber" in the future, and make more money by distributing them over Netflix?
...'The Interview' ...right on; and directed and written and acted by one of the top Canadian actors and movie writers and filmmakers.
- More flicks like that on Netflix and I'll join for sure.
Sorry, but IMO, "The Interview" was crap .. my point was Sony capitalized on the flap with N Korea and turned a sows ear into a silk purse in the process .. making a film that would certainly had lost money at least end up breaking even ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #7296 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I was humorous.

* Clue: "high caliber"
post #7297 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

And! This is not a list; but you have to enter one selection @ a time...and only the USA movie/documentary/TV shows.
There is an app, available for both Android and IOS (not for pcs unfortunately), called "iStreamGuide".
After downloading it, go into the Settings menu, and deselect all country flags save Canada. All movies and shows displayed in the app will now be limited to what is streaming in Canada.

Wait, don't tell me, you don't own a tablet or ipad?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #7298 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I was humorous.

* Clue: "high caliber"
Drop in a winkie next time and I'll get it ..

Uncle Willie

post #7299 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
There is an app, available for both Android and IOS (not for pcs unfortunately), called "iStreamGuide".
After downloading it, go into the Settings menu, and deselect all country flags save Canada. All movies and shows displayed in the app will now be limited to what is streaming in Canada.

Wait, don't tell me, you don't own a tablet or ipad?
♦ I did have a cell phone (Android), but I broke it (several months ago). ...And no tablet and no iPad. I'm sorry but that's the truth.
And I truly appreciate your help.

Quote:
Drop in a winkie next time and I'll get it ..
Ok.

* Regarding emoticons (smileys); in the past I was notified by some people for using them and that it wasn't necessary.
Since then I use them a lot less. And 'The Interview' is so bad, that I thought I didn't need any, and instead I used "high caliber" film.

My own take: Smileys are very useful @ times, and I do use them when required.
Every person is so different regarding them; and to be perfect we would have to remember each person/member and his own personal preference in using or not using them.

And because you just mentioned it; I will with you. And you were extremely helpful, and your posts are always impeccable.
The last link you provided is the best news of them all in quite some time regarding that particular request of mine.
...Because I did a lot of searching on my end but coudn't find what I was looking for; you did! ...A big thanks a bunch to you.
post #7300 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
And because you just mentioned it; I will with you. And you were extremely helpful, and your posts are always impeccable.
The last link you provided is the best news of them all in quite some time regarding that particular request of mine.
...Because I did a lot of searching on my end but coudn't find what I was looking for; you did! ...A big thanks a bunch to you.
That's what AVS is all about .. that and picking movies and TV apart, arguing over what gear is best, etc ..

Uncle Willie

post #7301 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #7302 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2048 Post(s)
Liked: 3795
Quote:
Yup, I've always said it was a Sony conspiracy to promote this dog of a movie. Because there's no way this flick was going to recoup it's money. As sir Charles likes to say...

Spoiler!

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #7303 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how to check the streaming quality as it plays? Also how to tell it to only play 1080p and not 720p? And what encoders bitrates do they use, is it anywhere close to the torrent stuff in terms of quality?
post #7304 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxholster View Post
how to check the streaming quality as it plays? Also how to tell it to only play 1080p and not 720p? And what encoders bitrates do they use, is it anywhere close to the torrent stuff in terms of quality?
The Netflix app on certain devices has an undocumented display that shows the stream's resolution as it plays. The PS3, newer blu-ray players- plus a few slightly older ones, smart TVs, and the WD TV Live streaming player, are among those that immediately come to mind.
1st photo shows the PS3 corner display.

Using the PC, and viewing Netflix on a web browser, you can call up a detailed a/v screen by first clicking the screen during playback-do not play the title in full screen, I.e., allow the browser to show as you're playing something, then on the keyboard click Shift+ CTRL+ALT+D. 2nd photo shows the web browser a/v screen.
Note, with web browsers, Chrome and Firefox are limited to 720p, while IE can go up to 1080p.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140322_230253.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	652025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141207_175323.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	652041  

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #7305 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Reddice, I know this off topic but I want to ask you a question. I'm looking to buy a router I looked at your avatar and your using an ASUs router that I'm inclined to get. How is your experience with it any problems ? How is the speed ? Appreciate your insight. Thxs
post #7306 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 10:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's a very good question; because a good router will affect your Wi-Fi Netflix streaming transmission quality.
post #7307 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 11:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:

And! This is not a list;

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/all?canada_filter=1

Also moreflicks.com; uncheck all of the services at the top except Netflix, pull down the list of countries from the Netflix button and select Canada.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7308 of 7552 Old 04-06-2015, 11:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
http://instantwatcher.com/titles/all?canada_filter=1

Also moreflicks.com; uncheck all of the services at the top except Netflix, pull down the list of countries from the Netflix button and select Canada.
Awesome. Mike, I like this one too (best).

http://netflixcanadacompletelist.blogspot.com/
post #7309 of 7552 Old 04-07-2015, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhfyagi View Post
Reddice, I know this off topic but I want to ask you a question. I'm looking to buy a router I looked at your avatar and your using an ASUs router that I'm inclined to get. How is your experience with it any problems ? How is the speed ? Appreciate your insight. Thxs
I don't have any issues with it except I am using the last greatest software version from June 2014 that Merlin pushed. Any future versions after that and my WiFi signal is cut in half in strength.
uhfyagi likes this.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43_2 (Merlin Fork) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS4.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim.
Cats are the best pets.
post #7310 of 7552 Old 04-07-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Regarding Sony, their business model seems to be get it in as many channels as possible. Compare that with Warner Brothers where it's "if you're nice we might let you see our precious jewels on our special app." Distribution is just as weird as the people you find in the entertainment industry.

A few years back independent developers who signed up with Netflix could get a "coming soon" list and Netflix stopped that practice after some distributors complained. Why would you want to rent a disc at RB when it was coming out on Netflix at the same time? There are some limited "coming soon" press releases but they don't contain everything for the coming month.
post #7311 of 7552 Old 04-07-2015, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Merlin that's a third party firmware? I wanted to use tomato, btw I noticed that you got extreme speed is that 50/5 ? Txs
post #7312 of 7552 Old 04-11-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
HAs anyone noticed this on their Netflix account? At one time I thought it had an end date for my 4 stream price of $7.99. But now on my streaming account page it says

Quote:
4 Screens + HD---Your plan price is guaranteed so long as you stay a member.
So that implies that I would keep the 4 stream price of $7.99 indefinitely. Has anyone else seen this on the Netflix Streaming account page?

EDIT: I also just noticed that is says that UltraHD is available under my plan. I thought they were charging extra for it?

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7313 of 7552 Old 04-11-2015, 09:17 AM
boo
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
HAs anyone noticed this on their Netflix account? At one time I thought it had an end date for my 4 stream price of $7.99. But now on my streaming account page it says

So that implies that I would keep the 4 stream price of $7.99 indefinitely. Has anyone else seen this on the Netflix Streaming account page?

EDIT: I also just noticed that is says that UltraHD is available under my plan. I thought they were charging extra for it?
This is what it says for me
Your plan price is guaranteed through at least May 9, 2016

then to upgrade it says 4 screens w/ultra HD is 11.99
post #7314 of 7552 Old 04-11-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post

Same for me... So when I get 4k I have to upgrade?

EDIT: There is a note at the bottom: All plans offer unlimited TV shows and movies, on as many devices as you want. High Definition (HD) and Ultra High Definition (Ultra HD) availability subject to your Internet service and device capabilities. Not all content available in HD or Ultra HD.

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #7315 of 7552 Old 04-11-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't really want to start a thread on this topic, but I would like to ask if anyone has had any experience with :

http://www.ustvnow.com/

I had a buddy email me the link yesterday from the UK ..

Uncle Willie

post #7316 of 7552 Old 04-11-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 128
2 Screens +
Change plan
Your plan price is guaranteed through at least May 9, 2016.

I am not sure what 2 Screens + means but between 2 houses I use it on 5 screens, various PCs, tablets and smart phones.
post #7317 of 7552 Old 04-11-2015, 12:44 PM
boo
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
2 Screens +
Change plan
Your plan price is guaranteed through at least May 9, 2016.

I am not sure what 2 Screens + means but between 2 houses I use it on 5 screens, various PCs, tablets and smart phones.
2 streams at a time.
post #7318 of 7552 Old 04-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 108
it clearly says 2 screens + HD. you're paying for HD.

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Plex Pass | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #7319 of 7552 Old 04-11-2015, 06:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post

SO it sounds like I'm getting a heck of a deal then. I've had Netflix for DIsc rentals since early 1999 and I got their streaming when it first became available. So maybe they are giving me some kind of a deal because of that. I certainly don't ever plan on dropping it if I can keep 4 screens with HD and Ultra HD for only $7.99 a month.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7320 of 7552 Old 04-11-2015, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Anyone with a Roamio Pro notice this? When I press info in Netflix during a stream it doesn't seem to accurately display the bitrate. I'm watching Daredevil and it clearly looks to be at least 720 and it's telling me it's 384. I have plenty of experience seeing a 384-480 stream in the past, but this definitely is not. Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page