Netflix streaming quality - Page 245 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 292Likes

post #7321 of 7344 Old 04-11-2015, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If anyone has Tmobile for there cell phone provider they offer a free router which is a VERY solid ASUS dual band router with a 20 dollar deposit. No monthly fees, just 20 bucks deposit, it's that simple. Just walk in to a Tmobile store and ask for the hotspot router. The router got very high marks on cnet and other reviewing sites. I've been using it for about 5 months now and I am very happy. It has extremely long range (on the 2.4ghz spectrum based on the effective distance of the radio band) and decent range on the 5ghz band. I've been streaming using the 5ghz band using my Roku3 and it is much more solid than when I was streaming using the 2.4ghz band on my old wifi router with the same internet download speed. I'll be picking up the new Roku4 which is supposed to be able to take advantage of the 5ghz AC which should even take things to a higher level. Internet speeds are one thing, transmiting/receiving speeds of your router and streaming devices are another.
rjhseven and cajieboy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7322 of 7344 Old 04-11-2015, 11:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So that implies that I would keep the 4 stream price of $7.99 indefinitely. Has anyone else seen this on the Netflix Streaming account page?

Mine says "guaranteed through at least May 9, 2016" as well. You've been a bit of a special case, in that they gave you the 4 screens plan back when they were testing it for the 2 screen price and never took it away, IIRC. I was a disc rental customer since nearly the beginning and dumped discs shortly after they started charging extra for streaming, but I did dump them to try Blockbuster by mail for a while.

Quote:
EDIT: I also just noticed that is says that UltraHD is available under my plan. I thought they were charging extra for it?

Not exactly; they restricted it to the 4-screens plan so if you already had that you don't have to pay anything more. If you'd played any of their 4K library on a UHDTV before they created that restriction on October 10th (I think) you can still get it with the 2 screens plan; if you were already using it they aren't asking for more money to continue using it (thankfully that's my situation). At this point I couldn't advise anyone to pay more just to get access to their tiny 4K library, a whooping 15 titles: 6 TV series (The Blacklist, Daredevil, Breaking Bad, Marco Polo, House of Cards, Bloodline), 5 movies (Godzilla (1998), Crouching Tiger, Jerry Maguire, Hitch, The Smurfs 2) and 4 "Moving Art" nature shorts .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7323 of 7344 Old 04-12-2015, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Mine says "guaranteed through at least May 9, 2016" as well. You've been a bit of a special case, in that they gave you the 4 screens plan back when they were testing it for the 2 screen price and never took it away, IIRC. I was a disc rental customer since nearly the beginning and dumped discs shortly after they started charging extra for streaming, but I did dump them to try Blockbuster by mail for a while.

Not exactly; they restricted it to the 4-screens plan so if you already had that you don't have to pay anything more. If you'd played any of their 4K library on a UHDTV before they created that restriction on October 10th (I think) you can still get it with the 2 screens plan; if you were already using it they aren't asking for more money to continue using it (thankfully that's my situation). At this point I couldn't advise anyone to pay more just to get access to their tiny 4K library, a whooping 15 titles: 6 TV series (The Blacklist, Daredevil, Breaking Bad, Marco Polo, House of Cards, Bloodline), 5 movies (Godzilla (1998), Crouching Tiger, Jerry Maguire, Hitch, The Smurfs 2) and 4 "Moving Art" nature shorts .
I think anytime you use 1 or 2 screens everyone is getting the same deal.
post #7324 of 7344 Old 04-12-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
I think anytime you use 1 or 2 screens everyone is getting the same deal.

I'm sorry--what are you saying, exactly?

There are 3 Netflix plans; 1 screen, standard-def only for $8/month, 2 screens + HD for $9/month and 4 screens + HD + UHD for $12/month. Those of us who had the $8/month price for the 2 screen plan when they raised the price to $9/month last July are grandfathered in to the old price until May 2016; those of us who had accessed the 4K library with our 2 screen plans when they restricted that to the 4 screen plan back in October are grandfathered into 4K access with the 2 screen plan indefinitely.

The number of screens on which you can stream simultaneously includes all players, fixed or portable. When they first implemented these restricted plans the restrictions didn't work very well; with a 2 screen plan I could stream simultaneously to 3 or 4 screens. Now it seems to work, at least so far as my use is concerned; I cannot start streams playing on more than 2 devices at the same time.

post #7325 of 7344 Old 04-12-2015, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post
If anyone has Tmobile for there cell phone provider they offer a free router which is a VERY solid ASUS dual band router with a 20 dollar deposit. No monthly fees, just 20 bucks deposit, it's that simple. Just walk in to a Tmobile store and ask for the hotspot router. The router got very high marks on cnet and other reviewing sites. I've been using it for about 5 months now and I am very happy. It has extremely long range (on the 2.4ghz spectrum based on the effective distance of the radio band) and decent range on the 5ghz band. I've been streaming using the 5ghz band using my Roku3 and it is much more solid than when I was streaming using the 2.4ghz band on my old wifi router with the same internet download speed. I'll be picking up the new Roku4 which is supposed to be able to take advantage of the 5ghz AC which should even take things to a higher level. Internet speeds are one thing, transmiting/receiving speeds of your router and streaming devices are another.
I tried getting it by calling them up but since I only have three Nexus 5's me and my parents they said that that phone was not WiFi calling capable which is really not true Google Hangouts works but anyway the reason is they don't have no app for WiFi Calling so I could not get it. I was able to get the CelFi repeater instead.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) 208.67.222.220, 8.8.4.4.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Sony BDPS5200, Sony PS4.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim.
Cats are the best pets.
post #7326 of 7344 Old 04-13-2015, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I tried getting it by calling them up but since I only have three Nexus 5's me and my parents they said that that phone was not WiFi calling capable which is really not true Google Hangouts works but anyway the reason is they don't have no app for WiFi Calling so I could not get it. I was able to get the CelFi repeater instead.
Well that is too bad that the nexus phones don't come with wifi calling. I guess that would be the only reason that they would deny someone a router?
post #7327 of 7344 Old 04-20-2015, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Man, my streams have been jumping around all over the place lately, from 240 to 1080 and everything in between. Doesn't matter if I use my Roamio Pro or Oppo 103D. They both just constantly bounce around between various quality streams.
post #7328 of 7344 Old 04-20-2015, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post
Man, my streams have been jumping around all over the place lately, from 240 to 1080 and everything in between. Doesn't matter if I use my Roamio Pro or Oppo 103D. They both just constantly bounce around between various quality streams.
Are you using WiFi and have you checked you download speeds regularly?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #7329 of 7344 Old 04-20-2015, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Are you using WiFi and have you checked you download speeds regularly?

Ian

I'm hard wired. My network can at times be inconsistent, but I check it all the time when I see poor Netflix results. I can't totally rule out my internet provider, but it gets frustrating regardless of who's at fault.
post #7330 of 7344 Old 04-21-2015, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post
Mine have been great as usual lately. I've been watching the Daredevil series during primetime. No matter what device I used to watch it, and whether wired or wireless, it has gone up to 1080P between 3 seconds and 10 seconds. ANd stayed at 1080P for the entire episode.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7331 of 7344 Old 04-21-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Again it will vary as to what you are watching. I've been showing visitors who have a tech background "Halt and Catch Fire" on Netflix even though I "own" the series on Amazon because the NF stream is better BUT it can get grainy at times meaning it has switching to the lower bitrate 1080p.

"Daredevil" quality has been consistently good but that is NF's current showpiece so like "House of Cards" seems to get some priority as for streaming.

An offbeat movie may stream better than a popular movie. Maybe some of the IT geeks here who have worked in bigger operations might have some idea at what is going on but I would guess there are just so many "ports" (using the term loosely or symbolically) for a particular stream. It is even possible to get "we cannot provide you this show at this time please select another title" which means that resources allocated for the title are used up. Now I will just retry because someone might have finished watching at the moment so you can get the title.
post #7332 of 7344 Old 04-21-2015, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think that Daredevil has fairly obvious digital film grain added for artistic effect; it's evident when viewed in 15.6 Mbps 4k (making its 4k encodes less than useful IMO).

post #7333 of 7344 Old 04-22-2015, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Yes it had grain but nothing like The Walking Dead. I didn't feel the need to adjust my Darblet down when watching Daredevil. Which is what I typically do when there is too much grain.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7334 of 7344 Old 04-24-2015, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Can anyone here who has a Sony BDP S5500 confirm that it can stream Netflix at 24p. I ask this because I have read one customer review saying that it would only do that for Vudu and Amazon Instant.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Sony BDP-S5100
Elite PRO-101FD
post #7335 of 7344 Old 04-26-2015, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

X-Files first season is in HD now. I was in the middle of the second season but I am going back and re-watching the first season. I can't believe after watching the first episode how much clearer it is and it is 16:9 another shocker. I am however using my ATV3 to watch it as it will actually show if a episode is in HD or not and E14 and E24 shows no HD neither does season 2 but I could swear the other day I saw a few HD episodes.

Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Sony BDPS5200, Sony PS4.
Cats are the best pets.
post #7336 of 7344 Old 04-26-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
X-Files first season is in HD now. I was in the middle of the second season but I am going back and re-watching the first season. I can't believe after watching the first episode how much clearer it is and it is 16:9 another shocker. I am however using my ATV3 to watch it as it will actually show if a episode is in HD or not and E14 and E24 shows no HD neither does season 2 but I could swear the other day I saw a few HD episodes.
Quote:
It's worth noting that FOX previously planned on remastering The X-Files in HD via Blu-Ray. However, it's not clear whether or not that is still happening, considering that report was from 2012. And while the series was aired in HD on German television last year, this is the first time HD episodes have been available stateside.
THE X-FILES: NEW HD VERSIONS OF EARLY EPISODES NOW ON NETFLIX

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Last edited by Mr.G; 04-26-2015 at 09:55 AM.
post #7337 of 7344 Old 04-26-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
I have the "The Lone Gunmen" series on DVD and in the commentary the showrunners (including Vince Gilligan) said they had a hard time trying to convince FOX execs to do some of the final seasons of "X-Files" in 16:9. TLG was all 16:9.
post #7338 of 7344 Old 04-27-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Several websites state that all of The X-Files episodes were filmed in widescreen - except for the pilot episode. They were then matted down to 4:3 for regular TV.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #7339 of 7344 Old 04-28-2015, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sorry to get a bit off-topic, but am I the only one who sees the above two posts as #7337 and #7338 of 7336? That seems... odd.

Edit: And now my post shows as 7339 of 7337. Is this an issue with my browser or are others seeing it?

Last edited by bswiz; 04-28-2015 at 11:29 AM.
post #7340 of 7344 Old 04-28-2015, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiz View Post
Sorry to get a bit off-topic, but am I the only one who sees the above two posts as #7337 and #7338 of 7336? That seems... odd.
Maybe, but your post is 7339 of 7338. The board administrators know that sometimes the total message count briefly gets out of sync with the actual number of messages in the thread, resulting in what we are seeing.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #7341 of 7344 Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I think that Daredevil has fairly obvious digital film grain added for artistic effect; it's evident when viewed in 15.6 Mbps 4k (making its 4k encodes less than useful IMO).
First of all its not film grain its digital noise.Second They shot at 4K with 6K camera and thought it would be more easier to edit convert export @4K rather than shooting 6K , which most stupid thing on earth.Red Epic cameras downsizes resolution via cropping sensor which is like digital zoom in camera and you get more noise and less sharpness quality.
post #7342 of 7344 Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Jeez--I might have quoted "film grain" but I never imagined that anyone might think that I was implying actual film grain when I said "digital" and I strongly doubt that anyone else did or would have .

Several years back I read an article on the production of the "re-imagined" Battlestar Galactica which stated that the director of the early episodes wanted to shoot the interior on grainy film to give it the look of a battlefield documentary, but he was forced to work entirely in digital because of budget restrictions (I think that they might have been able to use film for the miniseries). Their digital post guru came up with the digital noise gimmick. The implication was that the technique had not been used prior to that and that the guy developed his own software for it.

post #7343 of 7344 Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

That is why I am afraid to buy any classic TV shows on DVD because they might remaster them on BluRay then I have to buy them again.

Cats are the best pets.
post #7344 of 7344 Old Today, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famouss View Post
Can anyone here who has a Sony BDP S5500 confirm that it can stream Netflix at 24p. I ask this because I have read one customer review saying that it would only do that for Vudu and Amazon Instant.
i have Sony BDP-S5100, but dont know how to check for the 24p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page