Netflix streaming quality - Page 245 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 290Likes
post #7321 of 7326 Old 04-11-2015, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If anyone has Tmobile for there cell phone provider they offer a free router which is a VERY solid ASUS dual band router with a 20 dollar deposit. No monthly fees, just 20 bucks deposit, it's that simple. Just walk in to a Tmobile store and ask for the hotspot router. The router got very high marks on cnet and other reviewing sites. I've been using it for about 5 months now and I am very happy. It has extremely long range (on the 2.4ghz spectrum based on the effective distance of the radio band) and decent range on the 5ghz band. I've been streaming using the 5ghz band using my Roku3 and it is much more solid than when I was streaming using the 2.4ghz band on my old wifi router with the same internet download speed. I'll be picking up the new Roku4 which is supposed to be able to take advantage of the 5ghz AC which should even take things to a higher level. Internet speeds are one thing, transmiting/receiving speeds of your router and streaming devices are another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7322 of 7326 Old 04-11-2015, 11:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So that implies that I would keep the 4 stream price of $7.99 indefinitely. Has anyone else seen this on the Netflix Streaming account page?

Mine says "guaranteed through at least May 9, 2016" as well. You've been a bit of a special case, in that they gave you the 4 screens plan back when they were testing it for the 2 screen price and never took it away, IIRC. I was a disc rental customer since nearly the beginning and dumped discs shortly after they started charging extra for streaming, but I did dump them to try Blockbuster by mail for a while.

Quote:
EDIT: I also just noticed that is says that UltraHD is available under my plan. I thought they were charging extra for it?

Not exactly; they restricted it to the 4-screens plan so if you already had that you don't have to pay anything more. If you'd played any of their 4K library on a UHDTV before they created that restriction on October 10th (I think) you can still get it with the 2 screens plan; if you were already using it they aren't asking for more money to continue using it (thankfully that's my situation). At this point I couldn't advise anyone to pay more just to get access to their tiny 4K library, a whooping 15 titles: 6 TV series (The Blacklist, Daredevil, Breaking Bad, Marco Polo, House of Cards, Bloodline), 5 movies (Godzilla (1998), Crouching Tiger, Jerry Maguire, Hitch, The Smurfs 2) and 4 "Moving Art" nature shorts .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7323 of 7326 Old Yesterday, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Mine says "guaranteed through at least May 9, 2016" as well. You've been a bit of a special case, in that they gave you the 4 screens plan back when they were testing it for the 2 screen price and never took it away, IIRC. I was a disc rental customer since nearly the beginning and dumped discs shortly after they started charging extra for streaming, but I did dump them to try Blockbuster by mail for a while.

Not exactly; they restricted it to the 4-screens plan so if you already had that you don't have to pay anything more. If you'd played any of their 4K library on a UHDTV before they created that restriction on October 10th (I think) you can still get it with the 2 screens plan; if you were already using it they aren't asking for more money to continue using it (thankfully that's my situation). At this point I couldn't advise anyone to pay more just to get access to their tiny 4K library, a whooping 15 titles: 6 TV series (The Blacklist, Daredevil, Breaking Bad, Marco Polo, House of Cards, Bloodline), 5 movies (Godzilla (1998), Crouching Tiger, Jerry Maguire, Hitch, The Smurfs 2) and 4 "Moving Art" nature shorts .
I think anytime you use 1 or 2 screens everyone is getting the same deal.
post #7324 of 7326 Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
I think anytime you use 1 or 2 screens everyone is getting the same deal.

I'm sorry--what are you saying, exactly?

There are 3 Netflix plans; 1 screen, standard-def only for $8/month, 2 screens + HD for $9/month and 4 screens + HD + UHD for $12/month. Those of us who had the $8/month price for the 2 screen plan when they raised the price to $9/month last July are grandfathered in to the old price until May 2016; those of us who had accessed the 4K library with our 2 screen plans when they restricted that to the 4 screen plan back in October are grandfathered into 4K access with the 2 screen plan indefinitely.

The number of screens on which you can stream simultaneously includes all players, fixed or portable. When they first implemented these restricted plans the restrictions didn't work very well; with a 2 screen plan I could stream simultaneously to 3 or 4 screens. Now it seems to work, at least so far as my use is concerned; I cannot start streams playing on more than 2 devices at the same time.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7325 of 7326 Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post
If anyone has Tmobile for there cell phone provider they offer a free router which is a VERY solid ASUS dual band router with a 20 dollar deposit. No monthly fees, just 20 bucks deposit, it's that simple. Just walk in to a Tmobile store and ask for the hotspot router. The router got very high marks on cnet and other reviewing sites. I've been using it for about 5 months now and I am very happy. It has extremely long range (on the 2.4ghz spectrum based on the effective distance of the radio band) and decent range on the 5ghz band. I've been streaming using the 5ghz band using my Roku3 and it is much more solid than when I was streaming using the 2.4ghz band on my old wifi router with the same internet download speed. I'll be picking up the new Roku4 which is supposed to be able to take advantage of the 5ghz AC which should even take things to a higher level. Internet speeds are one thing, transmiting/receiving speeds of your router and streaming devices are another.
I tried getting it by calling them up but since I only have three Nexus 5's me and my parents they said that that phone was not WiFi calling capable which is really not true Google Hangouts works but anyway the reason is they don't have no app for WiFi Calling so I could not get it. I was able to get the CelFi repeater instead.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Sony BDPS5200, Sony PS4.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim.
Cats are the best pets.
post #7326 of 7326 Unread Today, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I tried getting it by calling them up but since I only have three Nexus 5's me and my parents they said that that phone was not WiFi calling capable which is really not true Google Hangouts works but anyway the reason is they don't have no app for WiFi Calling so I could not get it. I was able to get the CelFi repeater instead.
Well that is too bad that the nexus phones don't come with wifi calling. I guess that would be the only reason that they would deny someone a router?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page