Netflix streaming quality - Page 250 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 339Likes

post #7471 of 7552 Old 06-28-2015, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
So you're streaming Netflix with your PC (I advise the use of the Win8 app or the HDMI5 player in IE11 on Win8 since you can get 1080p video from them; you can get bitstreamed DD+ 5.1 sound out of the app). You're not complaining about the resolution that you're getting, but about apparent SOE. You seem to be quoting this review on hdtvtest.co.uk about the Samsung UE55D8000 LED TV. Sounds as if you need to play around with the "Motion Plus" and "Blur Reduction" settings on your television to eliminate that. SOE is not something inherent in Netflix's video; streaming from apps and the website on this PC I don't see it.
When I set HDMI 1 input as DVI PC and all motiones feaures are off by default and all greyed out. But I found this that explains more of the "problem" and seems cant be fixed. Watching on mine tablet is the same, so it have nothing to do with motions features.

"If you turned off the auto motion plus feature, what you see isn't the soap opera effect. It is probably judder caused by the 3:2 pulldown, which all movies have on Netflix. While Netflix does support 24p, the client software side of it doesn't because they still output at 60fps."

http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-t...-effect-on-tvs

I guess that I just cancel after 1 months trial is over. All "movie effect" is gone and its like watching a reality show all over again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 7552 Old 06-28-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt744190 View Post
When I set HDMI 1 input as DVI PC and all motiones feaures are off by default and all greyed out. But I found this that explains more of the "problem" and seems cant be fixed. Watching on mine tablet is the same, so it have nothing to do with motions features.

"If you turned off the auto motion plus feature, what you see isn't the soap opera effect. It is probably judder caused by the 3:2 pulldown, which all movies have on Netflix. While Netflix does support 24p, the client software side of it doesn't because they still output at 60fps."

http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-t...-effect-on-tvs

I guess that I just cancel after 1 months trial is over. All "movie effect" is gone and its like watching a reality show all over again.
Get a plasma.

Ian
Keenan likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #7473 of 7552 Old 06-28-2015, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Get a plasma.

Ian
HDMI out of my Windows 7 Acer works with my 55" LED set as well as with HDMI out of some of my Android devices. Problem with the Acer was getting sound working as the drivers seemed to be a bit of a kludge and other folks had difficultly getting it working. But it was more of an experiment than a solution.
post #7474 of 7552 Old 06-28-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
This Vizio P602ui-B3 60" 4K LED display is my only PC monitor. Its HDMI output is run into my AVR and from there into the TV. I only get SOE when viewing any video from any source when I use the TV's "Smooth Motion Effect" feature, which I never do because I can't stand SOE. Of course, it's also present in video shot at 60Hz, but that's generally live events where it seems natural.

If dt744190 thinks that he sees SOE from any Netflix video on any device then he should cancel the service. Nothing Netflix is doing is causing it and I've never heard anyone make that claim before.
mailiang, mdavej and Mr.G like this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7475 of 7552 Old 06-29-2015, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
This video explains excatly what Im seeing on Netflix.

On right side On is this soap opera effect I meant. Not all Netlfix contents have this effect, but most of it and I cant find anyway to change it.
post #7476 of 7552 Old 06-30-2015, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Your negative reaction to Jupiter Ascending seems to be the norm. More that 86,000 IMDb voters have given it an average score of 5.5 Stars out of 10. To say the least, that's not good.
Although there was no internet back then, FLASH GORDON was almost universally panned and reviled when it was released. Today, many have a different opinion. I'd put JUPITER in the same basket as FLASH, Hooper's INVADERS FROM MARS, DUNE, etc. While I didn't love JA, some of it was quite a hoot, including Redmayne's campy villain and Terry Gilliam's appearance. And the visuals (especially in 3D) were terrific. A bit of alcohol may help as well. :-)
gwsat and lovinthehd like this.
post #7477 of 7552 Old 06-30-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 1211
Quote:
If dt744190 thinks that he sees SOE from any Netflix video on any device then he should cancel the service. Nothing Netflix is doing is causing it and I've never heard anyone make that claim before.

Ditto .. it's confusing to me as well ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt744190 View Post
This video explains excatly what Im seeing on Netflix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=882c25af2hM

On right side On is this soap opera effect I meant. Not all Netlfix contents have this effect, but most of it and I cant find anyway to change it.
Granted, I'm watching this YouTube clip on a 24" Monitor, but the right side looks substantially better than the left side ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #7478 of 7552 Old 06-30-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Ditto .. it's confusing to me as well ..

Granted, I'm watching this YouTube clip on a 24" Monitor, but the right side looks substantially better than the left side ..
Since I'm watching it on a 15 inch laptop, I can't see much difference. Would have to use my smart TV's You Tube app, however, I am familiar with SOE, and most Netflix content, even on my bedroom 60hz LCD, doesn't have that effect.

Ian

post #7479 of 7552 Old 06-30-2015, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Since I'm watching it on a 15 inch laptop, I can't see much difference. Would have to use my smart TV's You Tube app, however, I am familiar with SOE, and most Netflix content, even on my bedroom 60hz LCD, doesn't have that effect.

Ian

To my knowledge, I've never experienced it on NF either .. having had a wife at one time that religiously watched "General Hospital", I am also familiar with the "look" ..
jhughy2010 likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #7480 of 7552 Old 06-30-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post
Although there was no internet back then, FLASH GORDON was almost universally panned and reviled when it was released. Today, many have a different opinion. I'd put JUPITER in the same basket as FLASH, Hooper's INVADERS FROM MARS, DUNE, etc. While I didn't love JA, some of it was quite a hoot, including Redmayne's campy villain and Terry Gilliam's appearance. And the visuals (especially in 3D) were terrific. A bit of alcohol may help as well. :-)
Was there an extended version for Jupiter Ascending? When I watched the 3D BD recently I forgot to look for one. Because while watching the movie it seemed that a lot of stuff was cut out since a lot of it made no sense. It seemed like there should have been 30 to 60 minutes of extra content to help the story line make more sense. Or to make character decisions make more sense.
fredxr2d2 likes this.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7481 of 7552 Old 06-30-2015, 08:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1982 Post(s)
Liked: 2408
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Was there an extended version for Jupiter Ascending? When I watched the 3D BD recently I forgot to look for one. Because while watching the movie it seemed that a lot of stuff was cut out since a lot of it made no sense. It seemed like there should have been 30 to 60 minutes of extra content to help the story line make more sense. Or to make character decisions make more sense.
That's just Wachowski magic.
aaronwt likes this.
post #7482 of 7552 Old 07-01-2015, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
No extended version. EXODUS could use one as well.
post #7483 of 7552 Old 07-03-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up UHD Streams

I finally found the time to start watching Dare Devil again this week, and as with Marco Polo, some of the scenes are so sharp and detailed, they look almost 3D like. Although my set is not UHD, the UHD tech looks fantastic on my Panasonic pdp. Everything should be shot in UHD.

Ian

post #7484 of 7552 Old 07-03-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 21
is there an up to date list of devices that support Netflix 24p please ?

I've found

Panasonic ZT60 built in-ap - streams at 24p !- but not great to use, and disables pixel orbiter grr
Chromecast - 1080p, 60hz, D.D+ - very convenient to use (my preferred atm)
problems with PS4 streaming Netflix (seemed to be in stereo?)
post #7485 of 7552 Old 07-03-2015, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I finally found the time to start watching Dare Devil again this week, and as with Marco Polo, some of the scenes are so sharp and detailed, they look almost 3D like. Although my set is not UHD, the UHD tech looks fantastic on my Panasonic pdp. Everything should be shot in UHD.

Ian
They've been shooting in 4K and 5K for some time not to mention films like "The International" shot on 65mm film and ones shot on 70mm.

Gotta 4K camcorder yet? They aren't even expensive anymore.
post #7486 of 7552 Old 07-04-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
They've been shooting in 4K and 5K for some time not to mention films like "The International" shot on 65mm film and ones shot on 70mm.
Tell that to HBO. Game Of Thrones and True Detective are great series, but they don't match Netflix's original content picture quality.

Ian

post #7487 of 7552 Old 07-04-2015, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post
is there an up to date list of devices that support Netflix 24p please ?

I've found

Panasonic ZT60 built in-ap - streams at 24p !- but not great to use, and disables pixel orbiter grr
Chromecast - 1080p, 60hz, D.D+ - very convenient to use (my preferred atm)
problems with PS4 streaming Netflix (seemed to be in stereo?)
Just search this thread for 24p.

Quote:
As stated, to this point not many devices can output Netflix as a 24p signal (sadly, my new television's smart TV apps seem to deliver 24p video to it as a 60Hz signal ). Of devices I own, my 2012 Panasonic DMP-BDT220, WD TV Live Streaming, TiVo Roamio and TiVo Premiere can output 24p Netflix, VUDU and Amazon (not on TV Live) as a 24Hz signal. For that reason TiVo Roamio is my current favorite streamer for those services. I only use the TV's smart apps if I want to view something in 2160p (aka "4K") from Netflix or Amazon.
Netflix streaming quality

From the above list I own the WDTV Live which does 24p and I recently acquired a Tivo Roamio OTA which also does 24p.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #7488 of 7552 Old 07-04-2015, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Lightbulb Why 4k video looks better on 1080p monitors

CaioTheBrain likes this.

post #7489 of 7552 Old 07-04-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Tell that to HBO. Game Of Thrones and True Detective are great series, but they don't match Netflix's original content picture quality.

Ian
There really is a substantial difference in quality on these and others when you compare the CATV feed to the BD versions .. I don't know what res HBO uses when filming, but the BD's are flat out gorgeous PQ and SQ wise ..

Uncle Willie

post #7490 of 7552 Old 07-04-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Production companies always like to use high quality acquisition equipment as long as there is a budget for it. Recoding can make things look darker especially if it is a budget recode. I recall when HBO switched to MP4 streams which meant locally that Comcast had to recode them to MPEG-2 transport streams.
post #7491 of 7552 Old 07-04-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Production companies always like to use high quality acquisition equipment as long as there is a budget for it. Recoding can make things look darker especially if it is a budget recode. I recall when HBO switched to MP4 streams which meant locally that Comcast had to recode them to MPEG-2 transport streams.
I have noticed that despite the fact that HBO GO is in 1080p, most content still looks better on Directv.

Since Netflix OC is now shot in UHD, I'm wondering if they output the higher 4:4:4 chroma subsampling rate even with 1080p, and if that CSSR can be processed by certain steaming devices and most smart TV's. BD's are limited to the 4:4:2 CSSR even though most players output 4:4:4. If I set my set to pixel direct via HDMI it accepts the 4:4:4 CSSR, but it makes no difference in PQ since it's just up-converted by the player.

Update: New BD's are showing the higher 4:4:4 CSSR on my player. My bad.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 07-04-2015 at 06:34 PM.
post #7492 of 7552 Old 07-04-2015, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You can see a list of television shot with RED 4K-and-higher res digital cameras here:

http://www.red.com/shot-on-red/television

There's a link at the top to get to a list of films. I don't know if other manufacturers of pro UHD cameras maintain lists like that.
mailiang likes this.

post #7493 of 7552 Old 07-04-2015, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You can see a list of television shot with RED 4K-and-higher res digital cameras here:

There's a link at the top to get to a list of films. I don't know if other manufacturers of pro UHD cameras maintain lists like that.
Thanks.

Ian

post #7494 of 7552 Old 07-04-2015, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Syfy's Defiance is shot with 4k cameras? I'm shocked to learn that, as it's picture quality over digital cable has never looked that impressive to me. Perhaps it looks better on blu ray?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #7495 of 7552 Old 07-04-2015, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Syfy's Defiance is shot with 4k cameras? I'm shocked to learn that, as it's picture quality over digital cable has never looked that impressive to me. Perhaps it looks better on blu ray?

From the details on IMDb it sounds as though it were shot in 5K and mastered in 2K:

Quote:
Digital Intermediate (2K) (master format)
Redcode RAW (5K) (source format)

If you look at its tech specs on IMDb, GoT was shot with 3 different types of cameras, only one of them >= 4K capable.

post #7496 of 7552 Old 07-05-2015, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
I have noticed that despite the fact that HBO GO is in 1080p, most content still looks better on Directv.

Ian
If it's anything like HBO Now it's streaming at about 4.7 Mbps, low end of the HD 1080p range IMO.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #7497 of 7552 Old 07-05-2015, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Since Netflix OC is now shot in UHD, I'm wondering if they output the higher 4:4:4 chroma subsampling rate even with 1080p, and if that CSSR can be processed by certain steaming devices and most smart TV's.
Most 1080 distribution (BD, cable, satellite, IPTV, etc.) is done at 8, 4:2:0, there are exceptions like CBS satellite distribution to affiliate stations. I seriously doubt there are any current STB's or TV's with HEVC decoders (2160) that exceed 8, 4:2:0. It appears the new UHD BD format will be limited to 10, 4:2:0 but the data rate can be > 100 Mbps.
post #7498 of 7552 Old 07-05-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Most 1080 distribution (BD, cable, satellite, IPTV, etc.) is done at 8, 4:2:0, there are exceptions like CBS satellite distribution to affiliate stations. I seriously doubt there are any current STB's or TV's with HEVC decoders (2160) that exceed 8, 4:2:0. It appears the new UHD BD format will be limited to 10, 4:2:0 but the data rate can be > 100 Mbps.
My set has a pixel direct setting that accepts 4:4:4 video. When viewing a BD recently, the disc info banner displayed the chroma subsampling as YCBCR 4:4:4 which is the player's current setting . 4:2:0 is not compatible with HDMI so they also offer a 4:4:2 and a RGB conversion setting. If 4:4:4 video is not available from UHD streams, then the You Tube video I posted wouldn't apply. The question then remains, why would video streams shot in 4k look better then 1080p HD content on a 1080p TV? This is the best answer I could find: 5 reasons to shoot in 4k
Thanks for your reply.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 07-05-2015 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Added link
post #7499 of 7552 Old 07-05-2015, 10:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
with Defiance and other shows there is typically a night and day difference between how they look on cable/satellite and how they look on BD. And of course with 1080P Netflix streaming there is still a gigantic difference between that and the BD. The BD typically looks so much better.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7500 of 7552 Old 07-05-2015, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
with Defiance and other shows there is typically a night and day difference between how they look on cable/satellite and how they look on BD. And of course with 1080P Netflix streaming there is still a gigantic difference between that and the BD. The BD typically looks so much better.
BD has a lot more bandwidth, so in most cases you will get better PQ. However, in terms of detail, not all BD's are created equal. I have found on my plasma that some streams shot in 4k can match or even exceed that of BD. In terms of digital compression artifacts like color banding and dithering, well that's another thing.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 07-05-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page