Netflix streaming quality - Page 252 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 339Likes
post #7531 of 7553 Old 07-14-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 294
I like "found footage" because it shows the innovation of young filmmakers who simply don't have the connections or pedigree to navigate the Holligarchy. I call it "rock'n roll filmmaking" like music with 3 chords. Some of it is so much more honest than a lot of big budget Hollywood productions. These days you can stabilize handhelds more but the conceit will remain that someone got their hands on a camera and here is what happened when footage remains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7532 of 7553 Old 07-14-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I like "found footage" because it shows the innovation of young filmmakers who simply don't have the connections or pedigree to navigate the Holligarchy. I call it "rock'n roll filmmaking" like music with 3 chords. Some of it is so much more honest than a lot of big budget Hollywood productions. These days you can stabilize handhelds more but the conceit will remain that someone got their hands on a camera and here is what happened when footage remains.
Thanks, but no thanks. It's like Theater Of The Absurd, you either like it or hate it. To each his own.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #7533 of 7553 Old 07-14-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

My support goes out to any and all fledgling film makers with whom I will likely never see the work of .. although, when I talked about "found footage" earlier, I was really talking about Hollywood's attempts at the genre .. if it deserves to be called a genre, that is ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #7534 of 7553 Old 07-14-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
"Found footage" does not necessarily mean "shaky cam". I liked the first Paranormal Activity film and almost the entire thing was shot on a tripod mounted camera. Recently, I liked the "found footage" film Almanac and the older film Chronicle. I remember really liking Cloverfield the first time I saw it and not being so impressed the second. I have a high tolerance for shaky cam, though.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7535 of 7553 Old 07-14-2015, 02:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
"Found footage" does not necessarily mean "shaky cam". I liked the first Paranormal Activity film and almost the entire thing was shot on a tripod mounted camera. Recently, I liked the "found footage" film Almanac and the older film Chronicle. I remember really liking Cloverfield the first time I saw it and not being so impressed the second. I have a high tolerance for shaky cam, though.
I liked all those too and have no problem with a shaky cam at home(as long as I'm not sick) But I can't handle it from a huge screen in the theater. So I wait fro all of those types of movies to be released on disc/streaming before seeing them.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7536 of 7553 Old 07-14-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Quote:
Yeah, Mike .. I forgot for a minute around here "I must be very specific" .. .. so, I'll qualify by saying "Found Footage" and "Shaky Cam" and particularly, "Shaky Cam Found Footage" ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #7537 of 7553 Old 07-14-2015, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
More often then not. Found Footage

The problem I have with some of these 'Found Footage' films is that they get too artsy trying to make them look more like documentaries and it just doesn't work for me. Just because I like home cooking, doesn't mean I can't enjoy eating at a nice restaurant.

Ian
reddice likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 07-15-2015 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Typo
post #7538 of 7553 Old 07-22-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Netflix's TV apps get their first major update since 2013
http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/22/n...-video-update/

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #7539 of 7553 Old 07-24-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
Does that mean the video will pre-cache so it does not start out like mud especially under congestion? I hope so as the Fire TV Amazon Instant does this and it is great. Video starts right away most of the time in HD sometimes it might drop PQ on startup but it ramps up much quicker than Netflix.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43_2 (Merlin Fork) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Google Chromecast, Sony PS4.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim.
Cats are the best pets.
post #7540 of 7553 Old 07-24-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nah; it's a strange gimmick where it starts playing the title behind the text while you're viewing its description. I don't know who asked for that.

post #7541 of 7553 Old 07-24-2015, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nah; it's a strange gimmick where it starts playing the title behind the text while you're viewing its description. I don't know who asked for that.
Great just like post-play another stupid new feature I don't need and can't turn off.
mailiang and dmarqueset like this.

Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Google Chromecast, Sony PS4.
Cats are the best pets.
post #7542 of 7553 Old 07-25-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Oh gee, you're going to miss the fancy logos of the 5 participating studios.
post #7543 of 7553 Old 07-26-2015, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is Windows 7 in browser only capable of 720p at highest in netflix?

I ran the "El Fuente: 60 main 10" netflix video that displays bitrate and resolution.

On my Roku 2 on one TV and on another TV via Vizio's built in Netflix, I get 5800 kbps bitrate and 1080p. Under Internet Explorer and Chrome, all I can get is 3000 kbps and 720p.

Reading various forums, it seems you need WIndows 8.1 or 10 to get higher than 720 in browsers now. Anyone confirm?

Last edited by checker9; 07-26-2015 at 12:34 PM.
post #7544 of 7553 Old 07-26-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The only clients with which you can view 1080p Netflix on a Windows PC that I know of are the HTML5 player in IE11 on Windows 8 and the Win8 Netflix app (the latter can also bitstream Do!by D+ 5.1 sound if your equipment is capable of outputting that). You can only get 720p out of the HTML5 player in Chrome (who knows why ) or the Silverlight player in any browser. You use to have to enable the HTML5 player in your Netflix account settings.

post #7545 of 7553 Old 07-27-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Also PC playback certain content from studio's like Fox only give you crappy 480p playback. I don't know if it does that on phones though. It is best to watch on the TV using enabled devices.

Quote:
You can only get 720p out of the HTML5 player in Chrome (who knows why ) or the Silverlight player in any browser. You use to have to enable the HTML5 player in your Netflix account settings.
However Silverlight performs the best and it will suck when Firefox uses HTML5. I had major congestion issues last month the day they released season 3 of OITN lame and the Silverlight player in Firefox was the only one that was able to play in HD. The Windows 8 app and the crappy HTML5 player only gave me mud low def sub 480p.

Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 07-27-2015 at 11:36 AM.
post #7546 of 7553 Old 08-14-2015, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Netflix shuts down its last data center, but it still runs a big IT operation

Quote:
Amazon data centers and Netflix CDN get huge workout from streaming operation.
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-it-operation/

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #7547 of 7553 Old 08-14-2015, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I thought my Ethernet connected PC with a decent processor and GPU would make the best Netflix client, but nope, Netflix just sucks on the PC. I tried and tried then finally gave up.
post #7548 of 7553 Old 08-14-2015, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 102
What browser do you use? Only IE permits streams at 1080p on the pc. Chrome and Firefox are restricted to 720p.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #7549 of 7553 Old 08-14-2015, 10:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
What browser do you use? Only IE permits streams at 1080p on the pc. Chrome and Firefox are restricted to 720p.

In Win10, HTML5 Netflix running in Edge will do 1080p.

post #7550 of 7553 Old 08-14-2015, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
In Win10, HTML5 Netflix running in Edge will do 1080p.
Excactly I dont know if Edge is (official) on Netflix at 1080p but it does it in Windows 10 for sure I tested that a while back on one of the Windows 10 test builds when edge got (less unstable )............ notice I did not say stable that aint happened yet ,IE 11 in Windows 10 either!

Aside from downleading a better default browser at.... lest those two can get Netflix 1080p
post #7551 of 7553 Old 08-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Earlier this week i had an issue with netflix which was solved in another thread & mailiang asked me to repost my original question in here so below is a copy of my original post with a link to the thread. If you have any comments please feel free to share them with me.

Quote:
For the past couple of days netflix hasn't been working on any of my devices. My sister told me it went down on her vizio smart tv a couple of days ago. My brother says it went down on his PS4 & Vizio smart tv last night. On my PS3 it also went down last night. I tried reinstalling the app on my ps3 & that got it working until i exited the app. Now it's back to not working. When we start netflix we see the netflix logo & the red circle at the bottom of the screen but we can't get past that point. The problem can't be our internet connection because my isp is verizon dsl & my brother & sister have Time Warner Cable/Road Runner so i'm assuming the problem is at netflix but there site says there not having any problems. I would appreciate any help i can get resolving this issue.
Quote:
Update: Netflix on my PS3 just started working again. I unplugged my ps3 for a minute but i'm not sure if that's what fixed it or not. At least it's working now.
post #7552 of 7553 Old 08-15-2015, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I also asked this in the other thread but never got an answer maybe somebody in this one can help.

Sometimes when i'm using netflix the background images that appear when i'm browsing shows don't come up. My brother & sister have had the same problem at the same time as me. For the past couple of day's netflix has been loading everything normally. Could this be a loading problem or is it being caused somewhere between me & netflix.
post #7553 of 7553 Unread Today, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can anybody confirm if the new Netflix series Narcos is in 4K?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware