Netflix streaming quality - Page 259 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 520Likes

post #7741 of 8417 Old 12-16-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky3RD View Post
Great....whatever you want to call them, I stream with an average of 75 of them

You dont have to know how a car is built to be able to drive one properly
However, when posting on this type of forum, attention to detail is paramount if you want to get your point across.

Ian
Keenan likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 8417 Old 12-16-2015, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked: 1731
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
However, when posting on this type of forum, attention to detail is paramount if you want to get your point across.
Yep. Besides, a friendly "Gotcha!" once in a while never hurt anybody.
post #7743 of 8417 Old 12-16-2015, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Ian
Like I always say, I dont necessarily need to know how a car is built, or know the technological terms of what goes into it, to be able to properly drive one, or teach someone else how to drive
post #7744 of 8417 Old 12-16-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Yep. Besides, a friendly "Gotcha!" once in a while never hurt anybody.
It's all good...

Back to topic: Ever since I switched to 75+ mbps, particilarly now that I run everything through my AVR, the difference in video and especially audio is relevant when streaming Netflix. I would never go back to 6 mbps or even 25, for that matter
gwsat likes this.
post #7745 of 8417 Old 12-16-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked: 1731
Quote:
It's all good...

Back to topic: Ever since I switched to 75+ mbps, particilarly now that I run everything through my AVR, the difference in video and especially audio is relevant when streaming Netflix. I would never go back to 6 mbps or even 25, for that matter
Graciously done, thanks!
post #7746 of 8417 Old 12-16-2015, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
It's all good...

I agree. 25 would be tough for me to drop back to. However, even with my 50, I still have Netflix issues. I started a 4K video on Amazon last night, and it reached UHD in 12 seconds. If I start a 4K movie on Netflix, I rarely see 2160, and even have a tough time maintaining 1080. My gut feeling is that my ISP (CenturyLink) is throttling my connection to Netflix. Since I have no speed issues anywhere else, I don't know what else could be the problem. I don't have anything else that can stream 4K, so I can't verify that it's not an issue with the TV, although even the TV browser will report a steady 40 Mbps stream using DSLReports for a speed test.
reddice likes this.

Samsung JU7100 4K TV, home media server using Serviio and 18TB of movies/TV shows.
post #7747 of 8417 Old 12-16-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Exclamation Century Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I agree. 25 would be tough for me to drop back to. However, even with my 50, I still have Netflix issues. I started a 4K video on Amazon last night, and it reached UHD in 12 seconds. If I start a 4K movie on Netflix, I rarely see 2160, and even have a tough time maintaining 1080. My gut feeling is that my ISP (CenturyLink) is throttling my connection to Netflix. Since I have no speed issues anywhere else, I don't know what else could be the problem. I don't have anything else that can stream 4K, so I can't verify that it's not an issue with the TV, although even the TV browser will report a steady 40 Mbps stream using DSLReports for a speed test.
FWIW, Century Link is rated last among major US ISP's in Netflix speeds test. http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/country/us/

Ian
kitti likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 12-16-2015 at 12:02 PM.
post #7748 of 8417 Old 12-16-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
MB=Megabyte
Mb=Megabit (no, not the same )
Mbps=Megabit per second - this is what our Internet connection speeds are measured in.
Poor designations IMHO but then who would ever believe that engineering dweebs would recognize the confusion these create.
post #7749 of 8417 Old 12-16-2015, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
FWIW, Century Link is rated last among major US ISP's in Netflix speeds test. http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/country/us/

Ian
Unfortunately, my only other option is Comcast. And my wife will never let them set foot on our property

However, I have to state that I consistently test my network and I almost always measure around 46 Mbps. Doesn't matter time of day or day of week. That's why I feel they are targeting the Netflix stream, as everything else works great.
mailiang and reddice like this.

Samsung JU7100 4K TV, home media server using Serviio and 18TB of movies/TV shows.
post #7750 of 8417 Old 12-16-2015, 01:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
Quote:
Unfortunately, my only other option is Comcast. And my wife will never let them set foot on our property

However, I have to state that I consistently test my network and I almost always measure around 46 Mbps. Doesn't matter time of day or day of week. That's why I feel they are targeting the Netflix stream, as everything else works great.
That ranking is showing a CenturyLink DSL ranking, not a cable rating which I assume you have given the speeds you've mentioned.

If you're sure that CenturyLink is throttling then going to Comcast has the advantage that they have an agreement with Netflix that has basically eliminated any throttling/speed issues. I haven't heard of any major complaints from Comcast users recently like there was in the past.
post #7751 of 8417 Old 12-16-2015, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
That ranking is showing a CenturyLink DSL ranking, not a cable rating which I assume you have given the speeds you've mentioned.

If you're sure that CenturyLink is throttling then going to Comcast has the advantage that they have an agreement with Netflix that has basically eliminated any throttling/speed issues. I haven't heard of any major complaints from Comcast users recently like there was in the past.
I can't see the link because my job firewall blocks access to Netflix. Someone seems to think I'm going to watch movies over the government network. Go figure!

Yeah, I assumed it was a Netflix specific speed test (and yes, I have these speeds with DSL) when I saw the URL. Odds are I'm going to be moving cross country some time next year, so not worth the effort to switch ISPs. Doesn't mean I can't harass CL as long as I'm still their customer. Since I don't know exactly where I'll be living (somewhere within commuting distance of DC, likely in VA), I don't know what options I'll have for Internet access. All I know for sure is I have to have it!
Keenan likes this.

post #7752 of 8417 Old 12-16-2015, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
I can't see the link because my job firewall blocks access to Netflix. Someone seems to think I'm going to watch movies over the government network. Go figure!

Yeah, I assumed it was a Netflix specific speed test (and yes, I have these speeds with DSL) when I saw the URL. Odds are I'm going to be moving cross country some time next year, so not worth the effort to switch ISPs. Doesn't mean I can't harass CL as long as I'm still their customer. Since I don't know exactly where I'll be living (somewhere within commuting distance of DC, likely in VA), I don't know what options I'll have for Internet access. All I know for sure is I have to have it!

If you get Comcast blast in the DC area it's about 160Mbps I just tested at 178

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #7753 of 8417 Old 12-16-2015, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
How about the self-install kit? Likewise, I would never let a Comcast tech into my house. But I still have Comcast internet. Terrible customer service, billing, technicians, and reliability. Best speed:cost that is available here. No monthly cap. Really good performance, in my experience, with Netflix
gomo657 likes this.
post #7754 of 8417 Old 12-16-2015, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitti View Post
How about the self-install kit? Likewise, I would never let a Comcast tech into my house. But I still have Comcast internet. Terrible customer service, billing, technicians, and reliability. Best speed:cost that is available here. No monthly cap. Really good performance, in my experience, with Netflix
Nope, she refuses to pay them a nickel. We had a pretty bad experience when they were TCI, and we moved to Dish Network. That was in the mid-90s. She holds a grudge

Since we cut the cord several years ago, we have no interest in any of the channels available from cable/satellite. Not to mention the money saved. All I need is my broadband. When we move some time next year, I realize that my d up being my only option Internet. I'll tackle that problem when I get there.

post #7755 of 8417 Old 12-16-2015, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK, I'm home now and looking at the Netflix report. However, I don't understand it. They are reporting a spread from 2.12 Mbps to 3.83 Mbps. Those are pathetic speeds. And frankly, the difference between CL and FiOS just isn't that big of a deal. I could also see these results being rather skewed towards the "fat pipe" ISPs. Since "most" CL customers likely don't have DSL faster than 20 Mbps (that's all my daughter gets, and she's only a few blocks from me), their overall average is naturally going to be lower than Verizon with a fiber feed.

I was hoping for some statistics showing max sustained rates per ISP. That might be more useful.

post #7756 of 8417 Old 12-16-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Netflix isn't reporting network speeds, but the average speed of streams from them.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7757 of 8417 Old 12-17-2015, 02:49 AM

Quote:
It could be a "processing speed" issue. What streaming device are you using?
In my case, I just switched from using my BD Player Smart Hub to a Roku 2 (I dont have 4K) and I noticed that movies now start crisoy clear right from the start and STAY that way. Even response to "rewind/fastforward" is more real-time with Roku.
Sometimes it is not an ISP issue but a streaming device issue
post #7758 of 8417 Old 12-17-2015, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post

Comcast + Roku = Best Netflix experience ever
post #7759 of 8417 Old 12-17-2015, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Comcast user here on the 150Mbps plan and haven't experienced any streaming issues for awhile now. Luckily in my area caps aren't enforced.
post #7760 of 8417 Old 12-17-2015, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It could be a "processing speed" issue. What streaming device are you using?
In my case, I just switched from using my BD Player Smart Hub to a Roku 2 (I dont have 4K) and I noticed that movies now start crisoy clear right from the start and STAY that way. Even response to "rewind/fastforward" is more real-time with Roku.
Sometimes it is not an ISP issue but a streaming device issue
I agree that it could be the TV. Since it's the only 4K device I have, I can't compare it to something else. I don't use my Roku 2XS or Panasonic TV very often for Netflix. I sometimes use a Sony BD player, but again no 4K. Also, the Samsung TV (JU7100) has the easiest method of displaying the live resolution, so I can't really make a comparison. I just know that other apps on the same TV (Amazon, YouTube) that are 4K capable don't have the same issue, as well as using the browser in the TV to test Internet speeds works fine. Of course, it could be an issue with just the Netflix app, but other owners of the same TV are not reporting the same problem.

post #7761 of 8417 Old 12-17-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I agree that it could be the TV. Since it's the only 4K device I have, I can't compare it to something else. I don't use my Roku 2XS or Panasonic TV very often for Netflix. I sometimes use a Sony BD player, but again no 4K. Also, the Samsung TV (JU7100) has the easiest method of displaying the live resolution, so I can't really make a comparison. I just know that other apps on the same TV (Amazon, YouTube) that are 4K capable don't have the same issue, as well as using the browser in the TV to test Internet speeds works fine. Of course, it could be an issue with just the Netflix app, but other owners of the same TV are not reporting the same problem.
I used to stream on my Samsung J7500 BD player, and I thought it was great...until I switched to Roku 2. If you feel taht sometimes it takes a while for the right resolution to kick in, or experience a few streaming "hiccups", there is a good chance taht your streaming device processing speed is lagging some.
Sometimes a movie would look muddy and with muffled sound at the start, now with Roku 2 looks crispy clear from the very beginning. Other times the same issue would occure when fastforward/rewind commands, now I can fastforward/rewing all I want with no resolution downgrading
post #7762 of 8417 Old 12-17-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
Sounds like they are just trying to reduce bitrate for contents that they deem don't need it. They haven't raised the ceiling. If you have good internet speed (like me), this will do nothing for you.

What I want them to do is use variable bit rate if that is possible (maybe not with streaming) and raise the ceiling for max bit rate. Amazon I think have surpassed them in pq. Of course amazon has a smaller library and a huge business in cloud computing and storage.
kitti likes this.
post #7763 of 8417 Old 12-17-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
Sounds like they are just trying to reduce bitrate for contents that they deem don't need it. They haven't raised the ceiling. If you have good internet speed (like me), this will do nothing for you.

What I want them to do is use variable bit rate if that is possible (maybe not with streaming) and raise the ceiling for max bit rate. Amazon I think have surpassed them in pq. Of course amazon has a smaller library and a huge business in cloud computing and storage.
Netflix streaming is provided by Amazon streaming services division of Amazon AWS.
post #7764 of 8417 Old 12-17-2015, 10:02 AM

Netflix is very user friendly. Amazon Prime can be a lot more confusing. The first time, it took me several minutes just to find where on their website I was supposed to click t oaccess my Prime account, just an utter mess.
post #7765 of 8417 Old 12-17-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

You mean that big

YOUR

PRIME
gwsat and teachsac like this.
post #7766 of 8417 Old 12-17-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
You mean that big

YOUR

PRIME
It's just very hard to navigate. After spending 30 minutes to figure out where the Prime portal was then it took me another 30 minutes to figure out my way among the titles available. When I finally found a few titles of interest, lo and behold, they were not even included in the Prime membership, but had to pay separately for them
Netflix icons are so big and user-friendly even a 5-year old could navigate it.
I also like the feature whereas you can just scroll over a title and the the whole screen fills up with wide screen shots from the title you are on...just little details like that that contribute to a positive streaming experience all around
post #7767 of 8417 Old 12-17-2015, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Netflix streaming is provided by Amazon streaming services division of Amazon AWS.

They do use AWS servers for some things but not to host video. I believe that all the rest of the mechanism runs through those; when your player comes up it get code and art assets from those servers and they handle the transactions of logging you in and taking your requests for playback and hooking you up with the CDN servers on which the video live. (I've monitored what happens when you play a Netflix video on Windows using Resource Monitor; there is always an AWS instance running exchanging a trickle of information but the video stream is obviously coming from other servers, mostly in the nflxvideo.net domain, Netflix's own CDN).

Netflix used to host their video on servers from Akamai and Limelight and a few other companies before they developed their own CDN. They still seem to do something with them; monitoring Netflix players on various platforms Akamai addresses pop up frequently at the beginning. Generally the players will make connection to about 10 servers starting up and then they all fall away until there are just two, one obviously streaming video and the other maintaining a constant trickle of information on the magnitude of a few hundred bytes per second at most in either direction; usually the former is in the nflxvideo.net domain and the latter is an AWS instance. My router software doesn't let me monitor per-connection bandwidth usage but I can see the same pattern of connections made and dropped regardless of the platform the player is running on.

Netflix also uses Amazon's server services to crunch video for encoding. I don't know why they prefer to do that than to buy their own equipment.

post #7768 of 8417 Old 12-17-2015, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

And "rest of the mechanism runs through those" is what matters.
post #7769 of 8417 Old 12-17-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Mostly it does stuff for Netflix; they have the aim of reducing their bandwidth footprint on the Internet by 20%. What they're doing is very cool, analyzing content on a case-by-case basis to decide how it should be encoded. They're talking about doing that analysis scene-by-scene.

As for whether Amazon's quality is superior, I personally don't think so but YMMV. Amazon is using a lot more bits for 1080p, significantly reducing the percentage of their customers who can actually view 1080p from them, requiring about 12 Mbps versus Netflix's 7 Mbps. But it's not an apples-to-apples comparison since Netflix uses eyeIO's encoding algorithm (THX certified, BTW) which promises to deliver the same or better quality in half the bits as compared to other AVC encoders. I dunno about "half", but certainly significantly less.

post #7770 of 8417 Old 12-17-2015, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
And "rest of the mechanism runs through those" is what matters.

Certainly it's all the most complicated and involved parts. The video servers just do the brute work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page