Netflix streaming quality - Page 262 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 447Likes

Old 12-24-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Over in the 'Hot Off the Press' forum, this story.

Netflix Finally Moving Ahead With Bandwidth-Friendly Approach

http://www.multichannel.com/blog/mcn...netflix/396110

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Quote:

I noticed some redundancy with your posts.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Old 12-24-2015, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 441
they are still doing constant bit rate per title, which is better than a single set rate for each resolution, but that is still less optimal than just doing variable bit rate so the rate will vary according to how complex each scene is. Instead they are putting in a lot of research work to avoid doing vbr and I wonder why.

On the music side, Apple and Spotify etc can easily do vbr and save some bandwidth but they don't, I'm guessing because they want to advertise a high bitrate. With video, the bandwidth saving would be considerable and improve service and keep cost down for everyone so it seems really worthwhile.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I've just filed a complaint with my ISP over my Netflix performance. I did a test last night, using an AT&T MiFi and my work iPhone as a hotspot. Both devices are 4G. When connected to my CenturyLink 50 Mbps DSL line, I seldom see a steady resolution higher than 720. It will bump up to 1080, then back down, sometimes even dropping back to 480. If I use Amazon or YouTube, I get UHD 4K within 30 seconds, and it stays rock steady. Using the info display in the YouTube app, I've seen over 30 Mbps with no issues.

When I tried both of my 4G devices, I had 1080 with no issues, and 2160 came up and stayed as well. They are obviously throttling my Netflix connection.
reddice likes this.

Samsung JU7100 4K TV, home media server using Serviio and 18TB of movies/TV shows.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I've just filed a complaint with my ISP over my Netflix performance. I did a test last night, using an AT&T MiFi and my work iPhone as a hotspot. Both devices are 4G. When connected to my CenturyLink 50 Mbps DSL line, I seldom see a steady resolution higher than 720. It will bump up to 1080, then back down, sometimes even dropping back to 480. If I use Amazon or YouTube, I get UHD 4K within 30 seconds, and it stays rock steady. Using the info display in the YouTube app, I've seen over 30 Mbps with no issues.

When I tried both of my 4G devices, I had 1080 with no issues, and 2160 came up and stayed as well. They are obviously throttling my Netflix connection.
File a complaint with the FCC.

Ian

Old 12-24-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Lower res encodes will stick around for awhile. Not everyone lives is a metropolitan area with high speed broadband. But that's still a concept you can't get through the young comp sci grads in Sillyconned Valley.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
they are still doing constant bit rate per title, which is better than a single set rate for each resolution, but that is still less optimal than just doing variable bit rate so the rate will vary according to how complex each scene is. Instead they are putting in a lot of research work to avoid doing vbr and I wonder why.

On the music side, Apple and Spotify etc can easily do vbr and save some bandwidth but they don't, I'm guessing because they want to advertise a high bitrate. With video, the bandwidth saving would be considerable and improve service and keep cost down for everyone so it seems really worthwhile.

My own experience in comparing the two has been that the constant rate seems to maintain better quality. I played around with some software to make it so media could be streamed within my home network using either a VBR approach or a constant bit rate approach that you set at the outset. The VBR approach with video had obvious artifacts. A friend who works as a software engineer within this field told me they all have the same problems too, and its not necessarily the fault of VBR, but the way in which our networks, especially our ISP's operate. He said that VBR works great on something like a disk format, something that is local and fully controlled, but does not work as well across a network or worse yet across the ISP's and then into your network.

I actually have pretty good proof in my own home that there are some weird problems with Netflix streaming at the best quality (i.e. either than the ISP's are detecting and throttling them specifically, or that Netflix is more bottlenecked than they will admit). I have a Uverse gigabit fiber line to my home. I have tested my service speeds over my wifi and wired connections and can easily reach near those speeds all over and from every device I've tried (that supports those speeds) at almost any time, even peak. My slowest devices test at 100mbs, which I assume is due to their own internal limits. That is more than fast enough for the best from any streaming service. Yet sometimes my Netflix streams in SD for extended periods of time, sometimes entire episodes. I've complained to AT&T about this, they blame Netflix. I complain to Netflix, and they point to how AT&T is not actually one of the faster ISP's out there and my service isn't as fast as I think it is, thus blaming me. My same friend I mentioned before believes the problem is in how Netflix recognizes your maximum speed and the way in which Uverse allows for gigabit speeds on these lines. Sometimes Netflix is tricked into thinking my ISP connection is MUCH slower than it really is.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpoes12 View Post
I actually have pretty good proof in my own home that there are some weird problems with Netflix streaming at the best quality (i.e. either than the ISP's are detecting and throttling them specifically, or that Netflix is more bottlenecked than they will admit). I have a Uverse gigabit fiber line to my home. I have tested my service speeds over my wifi and wired connections and can easily reach near those speeds all over and from every device I've tried (that supports those speeds) at almost any time, even peak. My slowest devices test at 100mbs, which I assume is due to their own internal limits. That is more than fast enough for the best from any streaming service. Yet sometimes my Netflix streams in SD for extended periods of time, sometimes entire episodes. I've complained to AT&T about this, they blame Netflix. I complain to Netflix, and they point to how AT&T is not actually one of the faster ISP's out there and my service isn't as fast as I think it is, thus blaming me. My same friend I mentioned before believes the problem is in how Netflix recognizes your maximum speed and the way in which Uverse allows for gigabit speeds on these lines. Sometimes Netflix is tricked into thinking my ISP connection is MUCH slower than it really is.

There is a wealth of info contained within this thread that answers the questions you describe ... and it is generally the fault of the ISP ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 12-24-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I average between 50 and 60 megs on my WiFi network. My ISP is Cablevison and I can stream Netflix all day long on any of my devices at 1080 with out a glitch. If you have a consistent problem, I would suspect the ISP was the issue, before pointing the finger at Netflix.

Ian

Old 12-24-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
I average between 50 and 60 megs on my WiFi network. My ISP is Cablevison and I can stream Netflix all day long on any of my devices at 1080 with out a glitch. If you have a consistent problem, I would suspect the ISP was the issue, before pointing the finger at Netflix.

Ian
I'll add that the various "speed testing" apps and what not are inconsistent as well .. http://speedof.me/ being about the most accurate I've found that actually mimics real World browsing conditions ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 12-24-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I'll add that the various "speed testing" apps and what not are inconsistent as well .. http://speedof.me/ being about the most accurate I've found that actually mimics real World browsing conditions ..
I've found Speed of me too inconsistent. I prefer Ookla, which has their new Beta.speed test and Test my.net Both offer HTML, server select, and render similar results.

Ian

Old 12-24-2015, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

CL aren't actually throttling your connection, they are just not paying for a large enough connection to the Netflix hosting service.

A lot of smaller ISPs use the Netflix Open Connect program ( https://openconnect.netflix.com/ ), Centurylink does not. This would help them a lot.

I use CL too, same problem and it is getting worse as more people stream. All you can do is email the high up managers at CL and complain and ask them to join Open Connect.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
CL aren't actually throttling your connection, they are just not paying for a large enough connection to the Netflix hosting service.

A lot of smaller ISPs use the Netflix Open Connect program ( https://openconnect.netflix.com/ ), Centurylink does not. This would help them a lot.

I use CL too, same problem and it is getting worse as more people stream. All you can do is email the high up managers at CL and complain and ask them to join Open Connect.
Right, CL is not throttling individual subscribers, they're throttling all Netflix traffic at the network edge by not providing sufficient port capacity to handle the data that CL's own subs are requesting from Netflix.
mailiang likes this.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Read my post history I went though this hell last year with Time Warner Cable and it was worse when those "popular" originals came back even though they never saw the light of day or any bytes off my TV it affected anything I watched. It was not until Time Warner made a deal that things improved for the most part except for a few blimps in the summer it has been great now.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
Netgear R7000 - Build 28815M (Kong) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U - Apple TV 4 (2015), Fire TV (2015), PS4 (2013), Roku 2 (2015).
Cats are the best pets.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Right, CL is not throttling individual subscribers, they're throttling all Netflix traffic at the network edge by not providing sufficient port capacity to handle the data that CL's own subs are requesting from Netflix.
Yeah, I didn't think they were picking on me specifically. I bought my first 4K TV about a year ago, and at that time had no issues with streaming 4K. It's just been the last 4-5 months that it is getting so bad. I mean, it's tough to even maintain 1080 most of the time. And when YouTube tells me that I'm streaming some 2160 content from them at over 30 Mbps, I know there's not a bandwidth issue specific to me.

And yeah, the FCC will hear from me as well if CL doesn't respond sufficiently.

Samsung JU7100 4K TV, home media server using Serviio and 18TB of movies/TV shows.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
I noticed some redundancy with your posts.

Ian
That was an AVS error.

It's not my fault.

It's not my fault.

Happy holidays to all!

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Old 12-25-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That was an AVS error.

It's not my fault.

It's not my fault.

Happy holidays to all!
I would file a complaint with the administrator! Happy holidays to you as well!

Ian

Old 12-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't think they were picking on me specifically. I bought my first 4K TV about a year ago, and at that time had no issues with streaming 4K. It's just been the last 4-5 months that it is getting so bad. I mean, it's tough to even maintain 1080 most of the time. And when YouTube tells me that I'm streaming some 2160 content from them at over 30 Mbps, I know there's not a bandwidth issue specific to me.

And yeah, the FCC will hear from me as well if CL doesn't respond sufficiently.
Well,. so far the only response I received from CL was a generic list of issues that could affect Wi-Fi connections. I forgot to tell them that all my devices are wired Gigabit, so their suggestions were meaningless.

But more interesting, I tried Netflix again last night and amazingly I was ramping up to 2160 in less than 60 seconds and the resolution stayed there. I ran one of the test patterns, so I could see the actual bitrate, and it reached 10 Mbps on 2160, 30 fps, 10bit color and stayed there. Somehow I have my doubts that it was a coincidence! Perhaps my email made someone actually check their internal settings.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Well,. so far the only response I received from CL was a generic list of issues that could affect Wi-Fi connections. I forgot to tell them that all my devices are wired Gigabit, so their suggestions were meaningless.

But more interesting, I tried Netflix again last night and amazingly I was ramping up to 2160 in less than 60 seconds and the resolution stayed there. I ran one of the test patterns, so I could see the actual bitrate, and it reached 10 Mbps on 2160, 30 fps, 10bit color and stayed there. Somehow I have my doubts that it was a coincidence! Perhaps my email made someone actually check their internal settings.
Newbie question: just got 4k TV. Do i need an Roku 4 and upgrade my netflix account to get 4k or UHD?

Memphis Home Builder
Old 12-25-2015, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Newbie question: just got 4k TV. Do i need an Roku 4 and upgrade my netflix account to get 4k or UHD?
Look on your account page. You may be grandfathered in.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't forget that you're more likely to get a lores stream if you've picked a title that is very popular at the moment. Try picking some obscure title to see if you get HD no problem. I've had that happen numerous times. Though U-Verse service is pretty good in my area I've seen brief lores drop downs occurs about the time a football game gets over.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Don't forget that you're more likely to get a lores stream if you've picked a title that is very popular at the moment. Try picking some obscure title to see if you get HD no problem. I've had that happen numerous times. Though U-Verse service is pretty good in my area I've seen brief lores drop downs occurs about the time a football game gets over.
That is bull. For me when those originals came back I watched plenty of non popular programs and quality suffered no matter what. Now since the peering deal with Time Warner I rarely have issues.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
Netgear R7000 - Build 28815M (Kong) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U - Apple TV 4 (2015), Fire TV (2015), PS4 (2013), Roku 2 (2015).
Cats are the best pets.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
That is bull. For me when those originals came back I watched plenty of non popular programs and quality suffered no matter what. Now since the peering deal with Time Warner I rarely have issues.
Why else would Netflix themselves advise people to pick a less popular title if having trouble with one? What I'm saying even if you have good broadband service problems may sporadically still occur at the CDN.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
The Netflix app for the TV (as well as Amazon, YouTube and some others) support 4K, so it isn't required to buy a Roku 4. There could certainly be other justifications for one, though. One reason might be better audio. The TV app only supports standard Dolby Digital, while the Roku supports DD+, a minor improvement.

As others have mentioned, many of us were grandfathered in for 4K playback. I don't know how long Netflix is going to continue to do that. I do notice that when i examine my account it doesn't say I have 4K service, but the TV app lists them. I emailed them once when I was having 4K playback issues and they confirmed that I have 4K service.
rjhseven likes this.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
In theory you had to have used Netflix's tiny 4K library prior to October 15th 2014 when they started requiring a 4-screen plan for access to 4K in order to be grandfathered into access from a 2-screen plan. They wouldn't charge you more to keep accessing if you'd already used it.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 12-25-2015, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
In theory you had to have used Netflix's tiny 4K library prior to October 15th 2014 when they started requiring a 4-screen plan for access to 4K in order to be grandfathered into access from a 2-screen plan. They wouldn't charge you more to keep accessing if you'd already used it.
They must have moved the date forward. I didn't get my HU8550 until late Nov or early Dec 2014. It was swapped out for a JU7100 about March 2015 because of DLNA playback issues with MPEG2 video. I've had access to 4K material on Netflix from the beginning. I'm sure you are correct about some sort of cutoff date. It would be nice to know what it really is.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
In the past people who'd had their equipment months before yours had to upgrade their plan to 4-screens for access. If you're getting it with a 2-screen plan I certainly wouldn't question it, no matter what the timing involved . I got my first 4K TV, a 55" Vizio P-Series, in September 2014 and accessed Netflix 4K video then; I replaced it with a 60" Vizio P-Series in October, but I was already in. I was already grandfathered into the $7.99/month 2-screens price and still am. If I go to my account page on Netflix it says "You are on a special price for your plan"; if I dropped it I'm not sure that I could get that price back (2-screens+HD has been $9.99/month for a couple of months (they went from $7.99 to $8.99 in May 2014 and then to $9.99 this October). $7.99 is what they're charging now for SD-only on a single screen.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 12-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

I agree with you Mike. I too show "special price" on my plan. I'll hang on to $7.99 plan as long as I can.

Now CenturyLink is pushing the blame back to Netflix. I reminded them again that I tested the TV using two different 4G connections and there was no problem. It was only after switching back to my CL connection that I again could not maintain even a 1080 connection, never mind 2160. I haven't tested it yet today, so I don't know if last night was a fluke or CL has suddenly resolved the issue after my complaint.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

I agree with you Mike. I too show "special price" on my plan. I'll hang on to $7.99 plan as long as I can.

Now CenturyLink is pushing the blame back to Netflix. I reminded them again that I tested the TV using two different 4G connections and there was no problem. It was only after switching back to my CL connection that I again could not maintain even a 1080 connection, never mind 2160. I haven't tested it yet today, so I don't know if last night was a fluke or CL has suddenly resolved the issue after my complaint.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I had the pleasure of 288 to 384 and sometimes 720 tonight.

Email CL tell them "to join Netflix Open connect and to have proper peering capabilities with Netflix and Google"
Addresses are listed here: http://elliott.org/company-contacts/centurylink/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement