Netflix streaming quality - Page 283 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 530Likes
post #8461 of 8473 Unread 12-01-2016, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Unless you want to watch movies and shows on your tablet or smart phone's tiny screen, it doesn't seem to be that big a deal, at least not for me. Let me download content onto my flash drive, so I can play it on my TV or PC, and then I'll start celebrating.

Ian
Great for travelers. Not really for big screen TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8462 of 8473 Unread 12-01-2016, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Unless you want to watch movies and shows on your tablet or smart phone's tiny screen, it doesn't seem to be that big a deal, at least not for me. Let me download content onto my flash drive, so I can play it on my TV or PC, and then I'll start celebrating.

Ian
Targeting millennials many of whom do not have big screens or TVs at all.
post #8463 of 8473 Unread 12-01-2016, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Targeting millennials many of whom do not have big screens or TVs at all.
I'd guess the studios are getting a little piece of the action, per download .. wondering what quality these are .. ?? not for me, but perhaps it saves those using some data cost ..

When staying at a Hotel, sometimes I will watch something on a laptop, since TV program selection is not usually the greatest ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #8464 of 8473 Unread 12-01-2016, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I'd guess the studios are getting a little piece of the action, per download .. wondering what quality these are .. ?? not for me, but perhaps it saves those using some data cost ..

When staying at a Hotel, sometimes I will watch something on a laptop, since TV program selection is not usually the greatest ..
I bought Roku Stick specifically for traveling. There's seldom anything I want to watch on the channels the hotel provides, so having access to Netflix and Amazon, even at hotel Internet speeds, is a vast improvement. I can at least watch what I want, when I want to watch it.

Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V679, Windows 10 home media server with Serviio and Plex, 18TB of movies/TV shows.
post #8465 of 8473 Unread 12-01-2016, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3036 Post(s)
Liked: 2153
Quote:

Ian
If you have an iPhone and ATV, I wonder if you can use airplay?

Edit: I just tested and you can't airplay.

LG 65EF9500
LG 65E6P

Last edited by wxman; 12-01-2016 at 05:33 PM.
post #8466 of 8473 Unread Yesterday, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 2131
Netflix Has Good News For Users With a Data Cap

http://cordcuttersnews.com/netflix-h...th-a-data-cap/

Quote:
Netflix did this by adapting a new encoding method called VP9, which is a huge step up from the older and still widely used H.264/AVC. So what does this mean for you? It means Netflix will use 36% less data vs the old system. Great news for anyone with a data cap.
But there are still some catches… Not every device supports the new standard, but a growing list of them do. VP9 is backed by Google, so Chrome and Android support it; iPhones and Apple products do not and have not announced plans to support it.
Not only did Netflix change the encoding, but it also adjusts usage based on what is happening on the show. An action scene with a lot of visual noise contains much more visual information than a scenic shot of a blue sky, and animated movies—in general—are much easier to encode than live-action films.
Now Netflix will account for these differences in an effort to deliver better pictures as they reduce data usage by 20%. Even with the old H.264/AVC standard users should see a savings of 19% less data used per hour.

65" EF9500 / Xbox One S
AV7702 MKII / Model 7125
Klipsch stuff and Rythmik stuff
post #8467 of 8473 Unread Yesterday, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked: 1362
Weird. They're still going to have to maintain libraries of AVC and HEVC for the great majority of devices which do not support VP9, so they just quite significantly increased their costs by adding fees for encoding and storage of VP9 video without saving anything (on their end). Perhaps their cost for the bandwidth used transmitting the stream are significantly reduced; millions of newer TVs and streaming devices which can decode VP9 have been sold.

They recently posted an article in their tech blog on their experiments with AVC, HEVC and VP9 encoding:

Quote:
What did we learn?
Here’s a snapshot: x265 and libvpx demonstrate superior compression performance compared to x264, with bitrate savings reaching up to 50% especially at the higher resolutions. x265 outperforms libvpx for almost all resolutions and quality metrics, but the performance gap narrows (or even reverses) at 1080p.

They're apparently also going to be maintaining sets of encodings especially formulated for mobile devices; see this. I recall the controversy over their throttling bandwidth to mobile devices.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #8468 of 8473 Unread Yesterday, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I thought VP9 was available without licensing fees? That might also be a justification to move to a different codec.

Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V679, Windows 10 home media server with Serviio and Plex, 18TB of movies/TV shows.
post #8469 of 8473 Unread Yesterday, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I thought VP9 was available without licensing fees? That might also be a justification to move to a different codec.
It certainly would be, but they can't drop their licences for AVC and HEVC and stop encoding in them because the great majority of devices don't have support for VP9 (a small minority of them have signal processing in their CPUs powerful enough to write a decoder but I doubt that any OEM will do it). They don't save a penny on encoding licenses.

post #8470 of 8473 Unread Yesterday, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 2131
Whats odd is, I recently updated my HSI to 150 down 20 up, because it was finally offered here. On the previous version I would see 50-70 down, and if I used the Netflix speed test in the App on the Roku Ultra or Xbox S, it would report 40-50 down.

Now I am getting 130 down on DSL Reports and Netflix's own fast.com clocks me at 140 (even in Xbox S browser), yet the Netflix apps still report 40-50 lol. No biggie, dont need more than that anyways, just found it funny. Unless the app test is limited in some way. My older 1080p Roku 3 can't even hit that in the app, but knowing the Xbox S is clocking 140 down on fast.com, not too worried about it.

65" EF9500 / Xbox One S
AV7702 MKII / Model 7125
Klipsch stuff and Rythmik stuff
post #8471 of 8473 Unread Today, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I do think some of the streaming services may limit their speeds. I have noticed Amazon streaming seems to take much longer to buffer than Netflix. On another player that would show the data rate while playing, it never went above about 17, whereas Netflix would show the upper 20's (my real speed tops out at 30.)

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #8472 of 8473 Unread Today, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I used to make graphs of Netflix streaming the same 10 minutes of video as played on various different devices. (Minutes 5 through 15 of Ong Bak 2, an encoder stressing sequence of martial arts combat in the rain; at the time it was available from Netflix, Amazon and a couple of other services). I found that different devices used different strategies for buffering the video. Some read a variable amount constantly and some read as much as they can for several seconds then play that for a few minutes before reading again, presumably after the data in their buffers reached some low-water mark, creating a series of huge peaks in the graph.

post #8473 of 8473 Unread Today, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I used to make graphs of Netflix streaming the same 10 minutes of video as played on various different devices. (Minutes 5 through 15 of Ong Bak 2, an encoder stressing sequence of martial arts combat in the rain; at the time it was available from Netflix, Amazon and a couple of other services). I found that different devices used different strategies for buffering the video. Some read a variable amount constantly and some read as much as they can for several seconds then play that for a few minutes before reading again, presumably after the data in their buffers reached some low-water mark, creating a series of huge peaks in the graph.
You might want to read up on how CDN's work. There are a number of articles on the web ranging from basic to deep tech. A method Hulu developed 5 years ago is open source and can downloaded off GitHub.

As I understand it so far when a title is added to the main CDN server and someone requests it to watch it gets sent from that server but a copy is also cached at the node near the viewer. Then if another viewer in that area wants to view the title they will get the stream from the local node instead.

Now how the CDN determines the bitrate to serve depends on a "window" to see how soon a client needs to be refreshed and things are adjusted that way.

VP9 being a free codec to use will be more popular but the real breakthrough is supposed to be next spring with AV1 from the Alliance for Open Media. AV1 is supposedly VP10 with surround sound support. Pressure thus has been on MPEG-LA and HEVC groups scale down and revise their licensing fees which they have.

Yes, constant bit rate Basic profile encodes were used in the past but there's more variable bit rate Main proife encodes being used these days as well as High profile (especially for 4K). Android and newer Roku players support both VP9 and h265.

One thing I've noticed with Netflix is their 1080p encodes can range in bitrate these days with some below 5.5 Mbps yet top quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware