Netflix streaming quality - Page 284 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 533Likes

post #8491 of 8497 Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Netflix figures that if you haven't selected something to watch within 90 seconds you'll stop using their app and look for some other diversion. Auto-start is part of their campaign to get you engaged in something.

If you haven't seen it, see this animated gif:

Spoiler!

On the same front, they posted this about their new "video preview" feature on their blog. It runs a little trailer under the description in the top area when you select a title. I haven't seen this yet.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8492 of 8497 Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'd forgotten this, but you can completely opt out of Netflix testing at this page. It doesn't stop them from changing your UI when they decide to broadly launch a new feature or features but it's protection from being in an A/B testing group and getting new features that they're just testing out.

post #8493 of 8497 Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I'd forgotten this, but you can completely opt out of Netflix testing at this page. It doesn't stop them from changing your UI when they decide to broadly launch a new feature or features but it's protection from being in an A/B testing group and getting new features that they're just testing out.
Thank you!

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #8494 of 8497 Old Today, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'm not sure if it always did it, but if I start the next episode after the screen switches to that mini-display with the next episode highlighted, it will start the next episode and skip any logo opening. For example, "Earth 2" has the Universal fanfare before the start of each episode. With 'auto-play', it skips over that to the real beginning (about 15-20 seconds.) If I just simply start an episode, then you see the fanfare.

I can also add that the newest Netflix UI has infected my Sony BDP-S5500. No more mini-diagnostics screen, just like what happened on my Roku a few weeks ago.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #8495 of 8497 Old Today, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked: 666
I'm one of those weirdos who often is looking for information in the end credits maybe someone I recognized in the cast so get annoyed when those wind up in an unreadable box in the upper left. Yup, I've looked for ways to to turn those off. I see the Roku TV Hulu app got updated and it will show the next episode in the upper right with a countdown.
post #8496 of 8497 Old Today, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I'm one of those weirdos who often is looking for information in the end credits maybe someone I recognized in the cast so get annoyed when those wind up in an unreadable box in the upper left. Yup, I've looked for ways to to turn those off.
For that, you're stuck highlighting the video window and clicking on it to return to fullscreen and rewinding...There's no reason to deny users the ability to shut off this sort of interference. I have an older blu ray player, with the old UI, and enjoy using it from time to time, just to avoid end credit squash.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #8497 of 8497 Old Today, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I just noticed that the FTV Stick and TiVo have a new variant of the Netflix UI which makes stopping it much more complicated (OK/SEL, UP, UP, LEFT, OK/SEL); it also removes access to the debug stream info overlay, at least through the known remote key.

This variant has spread like a virus through my devices and is now on this smart TV, my Roku Premiere+, my TiVo Bolt and my Fire TV Stick; it is not on my Roku 3, TiVo Premiere, Xbox One S or Xbox 360 (though I don't know how they'd implement it on the consoles, since the control scheme is somewhat different; you hit the B button to stop playback and go back to the description and click the right stick to display the debug display, a key rarely used even in games). Given this rapid spread I have to think that they're distributing it widely and that it will be permanent. No more access to the debug stream info display on probably most devices.

Westly-C posted a picture of it another thread:

Spoiler!

That little 3 element menu appear in the upper left hand corner when you press UP. When you press DOWN the same thing appears with a time line at the bottom, without the "Audio & Subtitle" button below it; the button that used to bring up the debug stream info display does nothing, except on Roku, where it brings up the system's audio & subtitle menu. The menu elements are, from right to left, "Exit", "Audio & Subtitles" (right hand menu shown in the picture) and "Play From Beginning".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware