Netflix streaming quality - Page 287 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 555Likes

post #8581 of 8596 Old 01-21-2017, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronY View Post
I never know about that bitrate thing but at least on my roku 3 the asterisk button still displays the resolution and audio status (5.1 or stereo) and the info button on my BD-H6500 samsung blu ray player does the same. We're talking about something different I think but at least there is still a way to check the resolution.

That's the display that I was talking about. It never displayed bit rate, just resolution (and a few other things available in the official UI). It's gone from my Roku 3; don't be surprised when it disappears from yours. I haven't tried devices with the old common Netflix UI, like my BDPs and WD TV Live Streaming, since I don't use any of them anymore. They might still have the display.

I've theorized that they've removed it because they were getting too many support calls complaining about what people saw on that display, many of whom aren't getting the highest resolution due to factors beyond Netflix's control and, truth be told, weren't even particularly dissatisfied with PQ. We all want to get what we think we've paid for.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8582 of 8596 Old 01-21-2017, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I still got it on mine so far (knocks on wood) and as a dorky avnerd I love it. Annoys the gf though when I press it too much during a movie.
post #8583 of 8596 Old 01-22-2017, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
As a sanity check, you can play "El Fuente: 60 main10" or "Example Short 23.976", clips with bit rate and resolution information burned into each of their constituent video encodes (the former has 4K encodes which the latter lacks). Click the links to open their entries in a browser and use the link there to add them to your My List; Netflix won't match those titles in a search.
Thanks for the info.

Using the link I streamed the "Example Short 23.976" video from Netflix w/the Netflix app installed on my Samsung PDP w/a wireless N connection using the 5 GHz band establish to my home router details report: Bitrate 5800 kbps, Res 1920x1080, Par 1:1

The PDP's Remote Info (status) button also works with this (and all) video & reports: 1080/Audio English/5.1 (Primary) w/digital audio optical out connection to a Pioneer Elite AVR.

I achieved the same result with a PS3 Slim & wireless G connection with 2.4 GHz band. However, the PS3's remote status button provides no information.

As you said, it appears the res/audio status functionality is related to the Netflix app version being used (?) v2.26 for PS3 & v4.06403 (last updateed: 1/7/16) for the PDP.

Last edited by 9179mhb; 01-22-2017 at 10:47 AM.

post #8584 of 8596 Old 01-22-2017, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked: 2348
Quote:
That's the display that I was talking about. It never displayed bit rate, just resolution (and a few other things available in the official UI). It's gone from my Roku 3; don't be surprised when it disappears from yours. I haven't tried devices with the old common Netflix UI, like my BDPs and WD TV Live Streaming, since I don't use any of them anymore. They might still have the display.

I've theorized that they've removed it because they were getting too many support calls complaining about what people saw on that display, many of whom aren't getting the highest resolution due to factors beyond Netflix's control and, truth be told, weren't even particularly dissatisfied with PQ. We all want to get what we think we've paid for.
I believe I read in an earlier post that one Netflix technical support rep, in an unexpected moment of candor, told the poster who's post I read that Netflix dropped the pop up window showing resolution info because it was prompting too many support calls. If this is true, then shame, shame on Netflix!

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #8585 of 8596 Old 01-22-2017, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I believe I read in an earlier post that one Netflix technical support rep, in an unexpected moment of candor, told the poster who's post I read that Netflix dropped the pop up window showing resolution info because it was prompting too many support calls. If this is true, then shame, shame on Netflix!
Well we are a bit geeky here maybe not as much as it used to be when we had folks here who wrote demuxers etc (that was about a decade ago). The general public is very weird and frustrating to support. Debug options should be available but hidden and yet it's possible that someone who knows turns them on then someone else in the household sees it and contacts support because they think something is wrong with their TV.

Now that I have a Roku 4K TV I note that implementations of the video players is not always as well done as they could be. Roku provides some "trick" options for the player but it looks like most developers (usually contractors who know next to nothing about video) just tweak the examples. Many of these implementations do a horrible job with FF and RW (right and left controller arrows).

I'm also barely using my Nvidia Shield TV because the PQ usually seems better with the Roku apps. Nvidia seemed to have messed up a few things on the Shield. I haven't got the Nougat upgrade yet but it will be interesting to see if that helps.
reddice likes this.
post #8586 of 8596 Old 01-22-2017, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
This could be a likely response to reduce the number of CS support calls. More often than not I believe issues such as connection speeds can be attributed to the user's environment (other than for Verizon's (I am a FiOS subscriber) infamous network throttling of Netflix streaming video content during their contract dispute a couple of years ago).

For you early adopters of UHD paying a premium for Netflix/ISP throughput & 4K devices how do you determine if you're receiving ultra HD throughput?
AaronY likes this.
post #8587 of 8596 Old 01-22-2017, 10:21 PM

People still will and still should call Netflix to see if they can help if they get obviously low grade video. Not having that meter there will help stave off calls from people who are getting 720p when they think that they should be getting 1080p and can't really tell the difference.

Of course, with Netflix's recent implementation of custom bit rate ladders, some 1080p will be streamed at pretty low bit rates; I've seen 1500 Kbps or lower.

post #8588 of 8596 Old 01-23-2017, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Man I'm gonna miss this thing if/when it goes away it goes. Like an avnerds wet dream since I always love checking stats and stuff
post #8589 of 8596 Old 01-23-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronY View Post
Man I'm gonna miss this thing if/when it goes away it goes. Like an avnerds wet dream since I always love checking stats and stuff

I'm surprised that it's still on your Roku 3. It might not go away on older devices with the old common Netflix UI.

post #8590 of 8596 Old 01-23-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you have Netflix and a 4K TV and don't have their 4K service yet try the Spanish series "Mar De Plastico". It looks more like 2K instead of just 1080p and the bitrates are up there (6-7 Mbps). Outstanding crime drama BTW.
post #8591 of 8596 Old 01-23-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
If you have Netflix and a 4K TV and don't have their 4K service yet try the Spanish series "Mar De Plastico". It looks more like 2K instead of just 1080p and the bitrates are up there (6-7 Mbps). Outstanding crime drama BTW.

Using CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-S in the Win10 Netflix app, I see that every episode has a slightly different bit rate ladder. Through the first 6 episodes the highest bit rate encode would seem to be 6190 AVC (variable, I'm sure).

Sadly its audio is stereo. Does it feature many action scenes?

post #8592 of 8596 Old 01-23-2017, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Using CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-S in the Win10 Netflix app, I see that every episode has a slightly different bit rate ladder. Through the first 6 episodes the highest bit rate encode would seem to be 6190 AVC (variable, I'm sure).

Sadly its audio is stereo. Does it feature many action scenes?
Logs on the Shield TV only showed 1080p and the PQ not as good but then I seem to get a better stream anyway on the the Roku TV. A lot of European TV shows are only stereo. Surround costs money to produce and US shows may add it via an emulation sound plugin instead of sound design. It's not an action show but more like other European crime series like "Wallander", "The Killing" and "The Bridge". However there are a lot of high lit scenes which reveal a lot of detail.

Are you using a 4K monitor on Windows 10?
post #8593 of 8596 Old 01-23-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Are you using a 4K monitor on Windows 10?

Yeah, but you can only get 4K out of Netflix on Win10 if you're running a 7th gen Intel processor featuring special processing for the required DRM. Mar de Plastico is not 4K anyway.

I only use Netflix on Windows to use the diags. I most often watch on TiVo Bolt to get 24Hz output of 24p content.

post #8594 of 8596 Old 01-24-2017, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, but you can only get 4K out of Netflix on Win10 if you're running a 7th gen Intel processor featuring special processing for the required DRM. Mar de Plastico is not 4K anyway.

I only use Netflix on Windows to use the diags. I most often watch on TiVo Bolt to get 24Hz output of 24p content.
You also get the dialog just using a browser with the same command. Yeah, I know "Mar de Plastico" is not 4K. My Roku TV (7.5x vers) upscales real nice. Roku only supports HEVC and VP9 for 4K not AVC though. The Roku media player will not play any h264 file above 1080p.
https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdk...ing+Guidelines
post #8595 of 8596 Old 01-24-2017, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Netflix now lets Android users download movies and shows onto SD storage
http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/24/14...ndroid-sd-card

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #8596 of 8596 Old 02-01-2017, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Can now report that yesterday I upgraded to 4 devices and UHD on Netflix is working fine with my broadband. I watched the first episode of "Frontier" in 4K as well as the first episode of "Tokyo Trial" also in 4K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware