Netflix streaming quality - Page 288 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 573Likes

Old 03-08-2017, 12:27 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5371 Post(s)
Liked: 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Alas, the Android TV OS's Netflix client on my Sony 940D still provides no technical info at all. Hope it gets added back but so far, no good. I hate, hate, hate it!
The display is back with Netflix on my Sony 850C running Marshmallow

so far the info display is back on every device I've tried Netflix on this week. I've used Netflix on six of them this week
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked: 792
I'm still trying to sort out why I can't get 4K on Netflix with the Nvidia Shield TV connected to my Roku TV. Haven't had time to ping the Nvidia support forum though. Not too important if it works fine on Roku. The recent (second) update to the Shield did solve a problem connecting the shield directly to the Roku TV. For some reason it might be an HDCP 2.2 thing or Roku may not let some things already on the TV run. I can play Netflix with the Shield TV but it doesn't give the 4K option which I have.

YouTube is another animal. Their UI on the Shield TV allows me to select 2160p when available on a clip and the Roku UI does not. Also looks like two different programmers maintain the "stats for nerds" interface.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2728 Post(s)
Liked: 1455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
And it's back on the PS3 app tonight as well.
Spoiler!

A stupid question but, what button do you press on your Sony remote?

Thanks very much for that picture. I moved recently and still don't have my stuff set up. Seems to be the same except for the display of bit rate which is a welcome addition .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Old 03-08-2017, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked: 2663
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The display is back with Netflix on my Sony 850C running Marshmallow

so far the info display is back on every device I've tried Netflix on this week. I've used Netflix on six of them this week
Yep, see my earlier post, Post #8610.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
Old 03-08-2017, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
That's a Bingo! Pressing the info button on my Sony 75XBR X940D brought up the resolution info for me too. I am delighted and can't thank you enough for finding it for me.
Ditto Netflix display info is on my 4K HDR 2015 Sony XBR X850C today noting I haven't checked it for eons even before the ~ DEC 14 '16 date of the current app in The TV and IIRC it was not there at that time .

TV is on Marshmallow 6.0.01 since early DEC. and awaiting Android 7.0 Nougat in 2017 to see what that brings us .

I might get a Q4 2017 Sony X930E or 9ZD or the Sony OLED at some point if my usual upgrade cycle stands in here

Last edited by synccoil; 03-08-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That is awesome of Netflix to do that. Some streaming apps don't even list what's HD and not on the individual title cards let alone while you're watching
rlb likes this.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Netflix will explore mobile-specific cuts of its original series
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/15/14...eries-tv-shows

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Old 03-16-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronY View Post
That is awesome of Netflix to do that. Some streaming apps don't even list what's HD and not on the individual title cards let alone while you're watching
Yeah, Netflix's resolution info was gone for a while so it was wonderful that they brought it back. I had missed it.
aaronwt and AaronY like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
Old 03-16-2017, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Sometimes when streaming the volume goes up and down. Is this common? I have 2 different Panny players, and it does it with both of them. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Sometimes when streaming the volume goes up and down. Is this common? I have 2 different Panny players, and it does it with both of them. Thanks.
Is it consistent with any other players? If so, (and possibly even if it isn't) it could just be the way the media was mixed. If it's only those players, it could be something with their firmware. I've watched Netflix on my Samsung TV, an older Panasonic ST30 plasma, multiple Roku players, and before that a Sony Blu Ray player. I can't say I've ever noticed volume swings.

Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V679, Windows 10 home media server with Serviio and Plex, 18TB of movies/TV shows.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
I started noticing the same thing 2-3 weeks ago. I stream from my Oppo player but I suspect the issue is with my Onkyo AVR as I also sometimes have to restart it to get 5.1 sound from Netflix. Which AVR do you use?

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Onkyo TX-NR818, NHT Classic 3s, Classic ThreeC, SuperZero 2.1s, Mirage Omni S10, Oppo 103D. Currently boxed up: Denon 1713, Klipsch SW-450,
NHT Absolute Center, Energy Veritas 5.1s, 5.2C, V-Mini-C.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
I started noticing the same thing 2-3 weeks ago. I stream from my Oppo player but I suspect the issue is with my Onkyo AVR as I also sometimes have to restart it to get 5.1 sound from Netflix. Which AVR do you use?
One is a JVC and one is an Insignia. This never happened until about a month ago.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Netflix is replacing its star ratings with a thumbs up/thumbs down systems
Quote:
Netflix’s five-star rating system has been around for a while. It’s a good way of giving those movies and TV shows that are neither good nor terrible the 3-star “meh” rating. But the stars are about to be replaced by a simple thumbs up or thumbs down system.
http://www.techspot.com/news/68561-n...p-systems.html

Sadly, seems we are getting stupider and stupider. Everything these days seems to be either you love it or hate it. No compromise.
aaronwt likes this.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Old 03-17-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 2254 Post(s)
Liked: 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

Sadly, seems we are getting stupider and stupider. Everything these days seems to be either you love it or hate it. No compromise.
Humans are inherently indecisive, we spend too much time thinking about about our decisions. Given too many choices, quite often we end up not making any choice at all which renders the rating system useless. The "yes/no" system seem too rudimentary to me but I bet it gets more viewer input than the current system.
gwsat likes this.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Humans are inherently indecisive, we spend too much time thinking about about our decisions. Given too many choices, quite often we end up not making any choice at all which renders the rating system useless. The "yes/no" system seem too rudimentary to me but I bet it gets more viewer input than the current system.
I couldn’t agree more! Reducing every opinion about a film or show to the lowest common denominator of either loving or hating it is both dumb and lazy, it seems to me. That’s why I am so fond of IMDb’s 10 Star rating system. More often than not, the average vote of IMDb voters will come very close to my own assessment, especially if the film voted on has attracted lots of votes.
Keenan, reddice, kwhite666 and 1 others like this.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 2254 Post(s)
Liked: 2065
Old 03-17-2017, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I couldn’t agree more! Reducing every opinion about a film or show to the lowest common denominator of either loving or hating it is both dumb and lazy, it seems to me. That’s why I am so fond of IMDb’s 10 Star rating system. More often than not, the average vote of IMDb voters will come very close to my own assessment, especially if the film voted on has attracted lots of votes.
Yeah, only two choices doesn't really provide very good information. I have the same problem with Pandora only giving an up/down choice. Some songs are OK, but I'd prefer them not popping up real often. And some performers I don't want to hear at all. Let me choose: love it, ok but it doesn't have to show up that often, never play this song, never play this performer. So give me 4 choices.

For movies, even four isn't enough. I also like the IMDB 10 point scale.
gwsat and reddice like this.

Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V679, Windows 10 home media server with Serviio and Plex, 18TB of movies/TV shows.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And here I thought it was a response to the first episode of season 3 of "Black Mirror".
Keenan likes this.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:33 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 5371 Post(s)
Liked: 3222
Quote:
For me it will be the opposite. I will rate far few titles with the new rating system.

With the five star titles I have rated everything I watched(around 2K titles going back over seventeen years). Once they switch to a thumbs up/down rating system, I will rarely bother to rate them any more.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 03-17-2017, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

Wow, lame on Netflix's part. It will have to seriously be good or seriously suck for me to engage this rating system. If I kinda like it or hate something, I guess nobody will ever know.

5.1.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofer:
SVS-SB13Ultra; Media: Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
Old 03-18-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why don't we just rate everything thumbs down as a protest? I don't pay much attention to their recommendations anyway but more to listings of what is new.
reddice likes this.
Old Today, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I am trying to test a subwoofer configuration. I used to have a Netflix title called "Short 23.976" in my playlist that allowed me to test my 5.1 audio including sub. It showed a mime running around the Netflix campus while playing audio and video tests. I can not locate it any longer. Is there any way to get to it? Or, is there an audio test that is easy to use?
Thanks.
Old Today, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
I am trying to test a subwoofer configuration. I used to have a Netflix title called "Short 23.976" in my playlist that allowed me to test my 5.1 audio including sub. It showed a mime running around the Netflix campus while playing audio and video tests. I can not locate it any longer. Is there any way to get to it? Or, is there an audio test that is easy to use?
Thanks.
I haven't seen that one specifically, but if you run a search for "test patterns" you will find a bunch of videos that are designed for video testing, but includes an audio sweep in most of them. Not sure if they will meet your needs, but worth a try.

Old Today, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I haven't seen that one specifically, but if you run a search for "test patterns" you will find a bunch of videos that are designed for video testing, but includes an audio sweep in most of them. Not sure if they will meet your needs, but worth a try.
Thanks. I already tried that. They have several video tests ie for 4K bandwidth. Some contain an audio sweep. However, none of them have individual audio channel tests.
Anybody else?
Old Today, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Thanks. I already tried that. They have several video tests ie for 4K bandwidth. Some contain an audio sweep. However, none of them have individual audio channel tests.
Anybody else?
Try Youtube, there are several. Here's one:

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Old Today, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Thanks.
Example Short 23.976

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!

Last edited by Westly-C; Today at 09:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement