Netflix streaming quality - Page 295 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 613Likes

post #8821 of 8824 Old 10-18-2017, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
How do you know it was still h264? I have an Shield TV and can get logs and Netflix is serving h265 there for 1080p. Depending on the scenes Mindhunter can look soft even in 4K.
I didn't even realize Netflix started serving HEVC content. is this a recent thing? How are you confirming this via the logs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 8824 Old 10-19-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujay View Post
I didn't even realize Netflix started serving HEVC content. is this a recent thing? How are you confirming this via the logs?
Scroll back (quite) a few pages on this thread and you'll find links to articles about Netflix using h265 (HEVC) as well as VP9 (mainly for mobile). I have a 4K Roku TV and Roku's player doesn't support h264 for 4K. You'll find that in their developer docs. Whether Netflix is using a custom player or just an interface to pass off to the Roku API is another question.

But as for the Shield TV, I develop apps for Android and upgaded an open source logging program to handle the LeanBack Interface so I could grab logs when an app runs on the Shield. And any developer can also use the Android monitor on a PC to get realtime logs. Logs showed Netflix streaming HEVC on titles including 1080p. If it saves them bandwidth it's worth it not to mention it saves the consumer too.

Netflix has a tech blog where they discuss encoding issues among other things:
https://medium.com/netflix-techblog

There are many advantages to these new codecs other than reducing file size. They can improve picture quality too even without HDR. Sure companies will probably keep some h264 Basic Profile encodes for old devices that can't handle even Main Profile and definitely not High Profile. But most (including YouTube) are abandoning h264 for 4K.
Sujay likes this.
post #8823 of 8824 Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2 View Post
I came here to post just this. Mindhunter ep 2 was like 1.6mbps @1080p , which is really low. Picture looks soft to me, but hard to tell without a better source to compare with.

I don't care how efficient their encoder is supposed to be. It's still h264, still constant bitrate. They pay big money for freaking David Fincher then cheap out on storage and bandwidth? I don't get it.
I'd have to agree, several of the things I've watched lately on Netflix (1080p) look soft as well. I'm beginning to suspect (in spite of the glowing reviews of their encoders) that the aim is to squeeze CDN bandwidth to the bare minimum. I don't bother keeping track of download speeds anymore I let my eyes decide and they don't particularly like what they are seeing.
reddice likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies

post #8824 of 8824 Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Maybe they are catering to 4K users since they get more money from us? AND.. 4K TVs are cheap anymore and mainstream. Any 1080p on Netflix gets upscaled to 4K and looks fine. Again depends on what the show was shot on and what look a director wants. Mindhunter is shot dark so not crisp like many scenes in "House of Cards". It's the thing we all learned in photography class (or science class for that matter) as you open the aperture more the image gets softer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page