How to Rip video from a DVD menu? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-22-2008, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi..Theres a video id like to rip from a DVD menu but i dont know how to do it or if its possible..Could someone tell me if theres a program i can use to do that? This is what im trying to rip.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../l__l_0001.jpg

The video in the dvd menu. Now i know there has to be some kind of program to find the video with having to crop it..I mean with all this techonolgy these days lol..If someone could help me out id really appreciate it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-22-2008, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, your already up to 4 posts - I'm looking forward to your spam url coming soon.

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #3 of 15 Old 12-28-2008, 05:51 AM

Not too bad
post #4 of 15 Old 02-03-2009, 08:54 AM

I don't understand why nobody helped him out here. I'm wondering how to do the SAME thing.

Mine is different, but oddly enough another wrestling DVD... here's a cap of the one I want to get...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/image...08634570_3.jpg
post #5 of 15 Old 02-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Are those video loops something that is in the movie? Is there something different about the loops, such as text overlays, etc.?

MY DILEMMA: New car or PJ? New car or PJ? New car or PJ?
post #6 of 15 Old 02-03-2009, 12:34 PM

It's a separate video loop that's approx 2.5 - 3 minutes long. It's only on the main menu, and I'd LOVE to be able to figure out how to break it down and pull just the video clip out of it.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 06:11 AM

Nobody has any ideas on how to go about doing this?
post #8 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Have you ripped the dvd to your PC yet? I was thinking that maybe this is a separate vob file, probably a lot smaller sized file than the movie vobs...

MY DILEMMA: New car or PJ? New car or PJ? New car or PJ?
post #9 of 15 Old 02-12-2009, 06:25 AM

Yea, I did rip it to my computer, however, there isn't an individual vob for that video, there's one for the entire menu screen playing that video in the background.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-12-2009, 07:48 AM

i use a program called dvd shrink, it's free and rips the audio_ts and video_ts folders off the disc. don't know if something like that's what you're looking for, but it's worked great for backing up my collection for years.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Hopefully linking this is ok.

http://www.videohelp.com/

I'm sure it's possible, and I'm sure the answers/tools are there. You will no doubt spend some time researching it though.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman13 View Post

i use a program called dvd shrink, it's free and rips the audio_ts and video_ts folders off the disc. don't know if something like that's what you're looking for, but it's worked great for backing up my collection for years.

I don't believe dvdshrink will allow them to capture just a portion of the video/audio out of a vob file (this is what they are needing to do).

I believe the best route would be to rip the vob file to disk (as you mention), then convert it to mp4. They could then use a video editor to extract just the portion(s) they want. I don't recall what tools will be best to do this, but the link I mention above will provide what they need, and most likely free tools too (if you don't need anything fancy).
post #13 of 15 Old 02-12-2009, 10:12 AM

Well I have all the tools to just rotate and zoom into the video and pull just what I need... but what I want is the actual video that's behind the menu graphics... and I want to know if there is a way I can pull it out of the vob files.

Think photoshop layers... the top layer is the menu text that you select when watching the dvd... the 2nd layer is the menu graphics itself, then the 1st layer (or layer furthest back) is the video that I'm trying to get to.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Dragon View Post

Well I have all the tools to just rotate and zoom into the video and pull just what I need... but what I want is the actual video that's behind the menu graphics... and I want to know if there is a way I can pull it out of the vob files.

Think photoshop layers... the top layer is the menu text that you select when watching the dvd... the 2nd layer is the menu graphics itself, then the 1st layer (or layer furthest back) is the video that I'm trying to get to.

Yea, I understood what you were getting at. I don't have that much in depth knowledge myself, so I have no idea how video is put together. It's possible that they've compressed the layers, and outside of using a very advanced video editor type software, you don't stand a chance.

If they haven't compressed the layers together, then with the right software you should be able to extract just one layer. Again, above my knowledge, but if the answer is out there I'd bet you could find it at the site I mentioned above.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-19-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrius View Post

Yea, I understood what you were getting at. I don't have that much in depth knowledge myself, so I have no idea how video is put together. It's possible that they've compressed the layers, and outside of using a very advanced video editor type software, you don't stand a chance.

If they haven't compressed the layers together, then with the right software you should be able to extract just one layer. Again, above my knowledge, but if the answer is out there I'd bet you could find it at the site I mentioned above.

Thanks, I've actually been over there before, a long time ago... I'll see what I can find... thanks for your help.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page